Mass Effect 2

Well, it took me
44 hours
to finish. I explored the entire galaxy, but apparently mist a few side quests. I am one level below maximum.

Oburi

All praise Grail
mnedel said:
Well, it took me
44 hours
to finish. I explored the entire galaxy, but apparently mist a few side quests. I am one level below maximum.

you mean missed? That's on your first playthrough, correct?

Oburi

All praise Grail
One thing that I knew I was going to run into is how quickly this game goes by. It's one of those games where you get so lost in the world that time just flies by and, unfortunately I knew that after months of waiting for this release it would be over in a few days. I haven't finished yet, but I'm going into the final mission and it's kind of depressing. I could seriously play this game for 100+ hours and not be bored. This is without a doubt one of the most impressive games I ever played.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
me2-investigate.jpg

BRB, got something I have to "investigate." :carcus:

Niiiiice.

I'm almost happy real world matters have gotten in the way of me tearing through this game. I'm at work now and kind of enjoy this feeling of anticipation.

This is my 2nd RPG experience (ME was the first) and I love it. What really gets me is that I have as good of a time talking to my whole squad as I do taking down waves of enemies. I can't think of any other game I can make that statement about...

(massive spoiler removed by Walter... Please don't let this shit happen again.)

My fish died already...

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I can't seem to keep my fish alive for long :sad:

And yea Mass Effect is one of the few games where the action is just interesting and entertaining in conversation as it is in shooting. Mass Effect 2 has really hit a perfect balance of the two, I go through as much of the dialog as I can while keeping my paragon points coming. It's just so interesting. And even the codex are well written too, and they are narrated too! I think that's another thing that some people might not do, stop and read the codexs before moving on. I'm trying to do that, builds up the experience and slows it down a bit, in a good way of course :serpico:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Beat the game. Felt like I was being rushed because of school starting next week, but i didn't want to be stuck wanting to beat this game over the course of 4 months.

First a little of what I found dissapointing: [I'm going to be going back randomly and editing it to clarify some things]
-I really felt that the game was lacking a real villian. Yeah the collectors were bad, but there was no Saren among them. Felt I should clarify this better after reading Oburi's comment, I wanted someone to more or less try and understand the motives of the collectors. I get it the big suprise at the end, but I felt it left it left you wondering still.
-Secondly, I hated flying my ship around the galaxy, I had no problem with what they had in the last game, but now it just reminded me of something out of final fantasy flying around the airship.
-Third. I felt the reason for the abduction of human's to be odd, not really a dislike, but I hope Bioware can come up with a good reason for it in the next game. Edit: Why I felt it was odd, is because it seems beneath the Reapers to just build a new Reaper, and on top of that none of the Reapers at the end of the game looked really unique so why decide to make Reapers now? To replace Sovereign?
-Four. I felt let down by the final boss encounter. I have to admit I was looking forward to a Saren/Sovereign fight like the first game. Edit: I felt there was nothing really relating to the final boss, no grudge, nothing other than it just existing. Also it was pretty easy boss.

Things I liked:
-I loved the mineral scanner it made checking for the minerals a lot more fun than the first game.
- I feel the side quests were brought up to the same quality as the rest of the game.
- Loved the continuation from the first game and how everything mashed so well.
- Combat system a big improvement.
- I found the new cast just as likable as the old one.
- Playing as Joker was a lot more fun for me than the developers probably imagined.
- I like how the last level makes you really think about who would be best for the final missions.

I still haven't done every side quest and all sorts of other things, but I can gauge the game pretty well from what I've beaten.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Finished Mass Effect 2 earlier. I'm not going to write a lengthy novel but just thoughts. Don't read unless you've finished.

-
The whole game was amazing. I really liked the ending, along with the final boss and the big cliffhanger at the end. I agree with bob that I would have liked to have a main villain that you can put a face too, but I also think that if they did that it might feel a little too much like the first game, like they tried to copy it, so all in all it was very appropriate. One thing I pretty pissed about is how I didn't get the reunion with Liara as I'd hoped for. I thought that was a big letdown. Not only that, but I didn't sleep with anyone the entire game! I did everything I could, all the missions and side quests I could find (i may have missed a few) upgraded everything and everyone survived at the end. It was pretty easy actually, I think I'm going to have to put the difficulty on hard next time. And although this game improves in many ways and on many levels, it felt significantly shorter to me for some reason, and way easier than the first. I guess aimless wandering around barren planets and confusing menus slowed the first one down but still...

Well, I think I'm going to start a new game on Mass Effect 1 and do everything differently, renegade style, since I've played it only once with full paragon (same for the sequel).

Edit- I also encountered a few bugs. The biggest was when the sound cut out during a really epic scene. I could still read the text but it was really annoying. Other than that no further complaints on the subject.

So what classes are you guys playing as? I started out as Vanguard but really didn't like the close combat focus of that class, so now I'm trying out soldier but enigneer looks interesting as well. So does Infiltrator because its a combo of tech and combat.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Im a Vanguard, but yeah, it's not as interesting as it was in ME1. Without Push or Barrier, staples of the class, it's just not the same. I think I'll try playing as an adept next time around.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I'm a Vanguard, and I actually just acquired barrier as my researched bonus skill. Still, shame it's not a staple part of the class anymore. I'll have to look at the available skills at each class my next playthrough and see what could work out better. I do really love that you can research the upgrades and swap 'em out though.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Took me a while for me to get into Mass Effect, I think I even took a 5-6 month off the game until I decided to finish it. But I have to say, this sequel really glued me in. And the soundtrack didn't disappoint. Soon to say, but it's game of the year material.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
This game looks so sweet. DO WANT. However, I really doubt I'll have the time or money to play until this summer. : ( Sniffles. Maybe I'll be able to snag it cheap off steam or something.

Saephon

So I have to say: I had a huge thing for Liara in ME1 and didn't care much for Tali...but I'm REALLY into her this game. I feel kind of proud that my favorite female character is one that isn't scantily clad, and is pretty much all emotional character development. Or maybe it's just her accent. :slan: In any case, I'm drawing towards the final mission, but putting it off as long as possible. I don't want the game to end yet, bahh.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of love interests...

Liara spoilers ahead:
I haven't beaten the game yet, but so far ... the Liara portion has been heartbreaking for me. She chooses revenge over me. It even seems shortsighted and illogical on BioWare's part. Shepard has her photo on his desk in my game, and she even kissed me when she first saw me. But BioWare almost shrugs her off, and doesn't capitalize on this moment of what is essentially rejection. If they're not going to allow the player to recruit her because she has some baggage, why not make this moment memorable? BioWare truly missed a great opportunity to tug at the players heartstrings with some somber music. Instead, it's just flat. Which is weird, since the scene obviously pulls from your save data to determine if she was an important character.

Is it BioWare's belief that this was supposed to be a fling?

For me, this has been the low point in the game, and completely breaks the fantasy that BioWare created by drawing from save data. This is something that could have easily been powerful but is instead treated like "no big deal." The designers clearly drew from some of the relatively minor choices you made in the game, but when it comes to a big one -- your romantic involvement -- it's treated like garbage. What the fuck?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter that's what I was trying to say before in my post. It's totally a let down.
Her role in the game is more annoying than anything else, and helping her with the little sidequests was really lame. I just don't get it, and I agree with you about bioWare losing a big opportunity to make the whole import save games to continue your awesome story from the first game ... that much better.

Saephon

I agree completely Walter and Oburi.
It's like BioWare deliberately designed it that way to make the player feel actual disappointment...but it just came off as poorly thought out. I definitely was unhappy about it since I grew attached to Liara in the first game. Oh well :/ Luckily I have another cute alien to care about now. Commander Shepard bounces back in record time!

Top Bottom