Media Blasters Remastering Berserk

A

avidwriter

Guest
Unless I see a comparison screenshot of just how much better it looks I don't see the need to buy it. I have the other DVD collection that came out previously and on it has most if not all the stuff they mentioned this one has.
 
Omega Tom Hanks said:
Due in December. Will be getting it.

http://www.mania.com/berserk-collection-remastered_article_87357.html
Interesting, but I hold onto the anime now mainly to get others interested in the manga and as a novelty item, so I won't be getting the remastered version, regardless of how much they improve the picture.
 
Eeeeeh.... I've seen the anime version, which was 'okay this is really cool' until the God Hand finale, at which point I mostly shat myself. Then found the manga, and the rest is history.

Honestly, unless the remastered version introduces Puck, and adds a whole bunch of new stuff... eh... I've seen it.

/shrugs/
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well although it isn't a must-have for early hour fans that already possess the DVDs, I can only welcome the release of an ameliorated version. It's a commendable effort from Media Blaster and I wish other publishers would follow their example.

Besides, I won't say anything about it but it's a SK.net member that's in charge of the project. :badbone:
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
guts said:
why not transfer it to blu-ray version?
The market for it isn't big enough yet and the quality would just not be up to par with the Blu-ray medium's capacities?
 
I dunno, I don't know anyone who has a blueray player, or plans to get one anytime soon. Heck, I only know one guy with an HDTV, and with the economy the way it is now, two others who've put off those sorts of spending plans.

I've also heard a lot of talk that BlueRay suffered too much from the competition with the HDDVD thing, and that the successor to DVD isn't any sort of disk, but rather digital downloads, which myself I'd be more likely to put faith in, as soon as DRM starts to die off a bit more.
 
Bekul said:
I've also heard a lot of talk that BlueRay suffered too much from the competition with the HDDVD thing, and that the successor to DVD isn't any sort of disk, but rather digital downloads, which myself I'd be more likely to put faith in, as soon as DRM starts to die off a bit more.
I think downloads may well be the future but I'd say we are at least 10 years off. The main reasons being that the older generations are not willing to pay for something digital and bandwith issues.

I have a blu-ray player and there are 4 HD TVs in my house. :guts: (two are mine and two belong to the people I rent rooms to)
 
Bekul said:
I dunno, I don't know anyone who has a blueray player, or plans to get one anytime soon. Heck, I only know one guy with an HDTV, and with the economy the way it is now, two others who've put off those sorts of spending plans.

I've also heard a lot of talk that BlueRay suffered too much from the competition with the HDDVD thing, and that the successor to DVD isn't any sort of disk, but rather digital downloads, which myself I'd be more likely to put faith in, as soon as DRM starts to die off a bit more.
It's Blu-ray, not blueray.  And, like Aaz said, it's really not going to look very good on the format.  Hell, it looked okay on DVD but not that great.  As for Blu-ray, every new movie coming out is being released on the format day-and-date with the DVD releases, so it's not dying off or hurting from the HD DVD competition, especially now that HD DVD is a dead format.  Many movies that were exclusively HD DVD are now being released on Blu-ray, so again, the competition really hasn't affected the format too much.  Digital downloads are the future, but like Maiku said, they're a ways off.  And believe me, the downloads will be available in HD at 1080p resolution with lossless audio (hopefully :guts:), same as most Blu-ray Discs, when they start becoming popular.  But, this isn't really a Blu-ray thread so back on topic...

...what all can we expect from this remastered version that hasn't been posted, Mysterious Media Blasters Skullknight.net Liaison? :carcus:
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Snap said:
DVD is like going with VHS, its dead media.
I don't think so. The DVD format won't die for years. The rate of people moving from DVD to BD is nothing like that of VHS to DVD. And like it's been said, by the time DVD does die off, downloadable content will be a much more concrete alternative than it currently is.

Rhombaad said:
It's Blu-ray, not blueray. And, like Aaz said, it's really not going to look very good on the format. Hell, it looked okay on DVD but not that great.
It should be better with the remastered edition, since it'll use progressive scan and a better encoding technology. But yeah, considering it was originally made on film, there's a limit to how good it can look.

Rhombaad said:
...what all can we expect from this remastered version that hasn't been posted, Mysterious Media Blasters Skullknight.net Liaison? :carcus:
Well, for starters, if you check the link Omega Tom Hanks posted, you can see that among other things the Japanese audio will be in stereo. That might not seem like a big deal, but the original DVDs were in mono.
 
Aazealh said:
Well, for starters, if you check the link Omega Tom Hanks posted, you can see that among other things the Japanese audio will be in stereo. That might not seem like a big deal, but the original DVDs were in mono.
I took a look, but didn't realize that the originals were in mono. Considering that the series ran from late 1997 to early 1998, it's pretty weird that it was in mono.
 
Rhombaad said:
I took a look, but didn't realize that the originals were in mono. Considering that the series ran from late 1997 to early 1998, it's pretty weird that it was in mono.
No, your assumption is right. The original Berserk series is in stereo. However, when MB first released the R1s of Berserk years ago, there was an issue with the Japanese audio track and a decent amount of the episodes ended up in mono. There's always been a bit of bitterness in the DVD community about this audio shortcoming (I was one of the bitter ones, admittedly), but finally this upcoming remastered re-release will have fixed the issue.

About the hopes of it coming to Blu-ray, this DVD re-release has not affected that in any way. Even if MB were to release a BR version of Berserk, it wouldn't be for many years. BR in the anime industry is still VERY scarce, save a few of the big budget movies. As far as tv series go, especially older ones (like Berserk), I wouldn't count on any of those being on BR from any company, any time soon.

In regards to the remastered video, it's going to look superior than any other release of Berserk prior, and that includes the Japanese R2 release. Granted, for the casual viewer it might not be that big of a deal, but for the HD or video enthusiasts, you will definitely be able to tell the difference, for sure. Berserk deserves to be in progressive scan!!!

Other than that, I hear MB is meticulously looking over the translations and spellings, and changing them accordingly. I believe the subtitles will be improved as well. Overall, it's going to be a very affordable, totally awesome DVD set which I know I'm going to buy! :guts: Y'all should too!
 
DirectDK said:
No, your assumption is right. The original Berserk series is in stereo. However, when MB first released the R1s of Berserk years ago, there was an issue with the Japanese audio track and a decent amount of the episodes ended up in mono. There's always been a bit of bitterness in the DVD community about this audio shortcoming (I was one of the bitter ones, admittedly), but finally this upcoming remastered re-release will have fixed the issue.
That clears things up a bit. Thanks, Derek!

DirectDK said:
In regards to the remastered video, it's going to look superior than any other release of Berserk prior, and that includes the Japanese R2 release. Granted, for the casual viewer it might not be that big of a deal, but for the HD or video enthusiasts, you will definitely be able to tell the difference, for sure. Berserk deserves to be in progressive scan!!!

Other than that, I hear MB is meticulously looking over the translations and spellings, and changing them accordingly. I believe the subtitles will be improved as well. Overall, it's going to be a very affordable, totally awesome DVD set which I know I'm going to buy! :guts: Y'all should too!
That's awesome that they're improving the subtitles with correct names, etc. It's pretty rare for a company to go back and do that to a title that's already been subbed in its entirety. The only other time I've encountered that was with ADV Films re-release of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I was looking at the price on Amazon.com and, as you said, Berserk Complete (as it's being called) will be very affordable. I may have to retract my previous statement now that I know more about the remastering (damn you Derek, I have no money! ><).
 

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I have to go with Aaz on this and say that DVD is still the media of choice. The original master of the show would look the same and be a waste of a Blu-Ray,but you could squeeze every episode on one disc. I still don't have the urge to re-buy that series anyway, my Box of War (Which has really cool artwork) will be enough for me.
 
X

Xem

Guest
I just got the Box of War like a year ago. UGH, my luck... struggling to not buy this but you know we all probably will eventually...

What I really want is Galaxy Express 999 to come to DVD in the States... seriously how is Berserk being REMASTERED yet still no GE999.
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
What I really want is Galaxy Express 999 to come to DVD in the States... seriously how is Berserk being REMASTERED yet still no GE999.
Not to derail, but it's much older and it would likely appeal to a much smaller audience. Is Harlock even available in the USA?
 
X

Xem

Guest
Aazealh said:
Not to derail, but it's much older and it would likely appeal to a much smaller audience. Is Harlock even available in the USA?
The original TV series, as far as I know, no.

However, I picked up Arcadia of my Youth a while back but it's apparently no longer available. Harlock Saga and the new Captain Herlock definitely are though.. so is that alternate universe Gun Frontier.

As far as old animes not making it to DVD because they're old... Macross: Do You Remember Love? definitely is, and that's like 24 years old or something.

It only surprises me because I'm under the impression that Galaxy Express is a staple in Japanese animation history.

/end derail
 
Has there been any news on how this remastering looks? A lot of TV property "remasterings" I've seen never went through any proper restorative process and were just sent through an automatic filter, leading to some unpleasant DVNR and other digital artifacts. It's also disapponting that the Special Features are look exactly the same.

The mention that the stereo tracks will be restored is a bit promising, though
 
Top Bottom