Mega_Devastation's Colors

hello all from SK.net! ive been a guest for quite some time but ive signed up and thought i should put up my first berserk coloring job, tell me whacha think!

whitegriffthsite.jpg

Hey mega, nice work. For starters you should clean up the rest of the page man, makes those areas that should be white, white. I like how your colors are subdued and not too overpowering. Post more!!

CnC

Ad Oculos
hi Mega_Devastation. Welcome to Sk.net!

I like the coloring. Good work. It can be tricky to color this scene so picking a subdued palette was a good choice, imo.
Like proj, I think the background is a tad distracting. Typically the gutters (term for outside the boxes) are left empty.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Hello, mega_devastation, welcome to SkullKnight.net: Be sure to put your grasses on!

Good first submission. That is one of my favourite images from Volume 22. I've often felt like taking a stab it at myself, but never did for some reason. Anyway, CnC and Proj have said what I would have already, but it does make sense to keep those backgrounds subdued. I love the colours you chose to use -- personally, I'm a fan of less saturated colours when it comes to Berserk in the first place, so good job.

Keep it coming! :badbone:

ah i see, thank you all for you're informative feedback, ill take all in concideration and work harder on the next on ;)

Uriel said:
Hello, mega_devastation, welcome to SkullKnight.net: Be sure to put your grasses on!

Good first submission. That is one of my favourite images from Volume 22. I've often felt like taking a stab it at myself, but never did for some reason. Anyway, CnC and Proj have said what I would have already, but it does make sense to keep those backgrounds subdued. I love the colours you chose to use -- personally, I'm a fan of less saturated colours when it comes to Berserk in the first place, so good job.

Keep it coming! :badbone:

thanks i sure will, lol!

i see, yeah , i thought i'd make it fun for myself and color a close up of my favorite characters, and yeah i feel like bright and bold colors dont suite something like Berserk...

Thanks again!

Ok, I'm not a professional but I actually really like this coloring job. Griffith's face looks so baby-soft and... pretty. But especially soft. And the slight blue in his hair looks really nice. I really really like your Griffith. Guts I'm not feeling as much, but even still it's a pretty nice coloring job. His teeth aren't perfectly white! :isidro: (neither is the sclera of his eyes!) and I'm a fan of the color brown so I can never complain about it's use. I even like the slight bit of brown in the cross hatched background for some reason. The only thing I'm honestly not too fond of is Gut's brown and black hair. But I can also see how just keeping it white would've been... uh, jarring.

I'd like to see someone tackle that Guts face using the inked shadows as guidelines for where to paint... but I can imagine it's a no-no to modify manga like that if you're going to color.

So in conclusion, Griffith has such a baby lamb look going on here and I love it.

Ok, I'm not a professional but I actually really like this coloring job. Griffith's face looks so baby-soft and... pretty. But especially soft. And the slight blue in his hair looks really nice. I really really like your Griffith.

heh heh, im glad you really liked Griffiths colors :) i was going for newborn softness, so i guess i pulled it off :D thank you

I'd like to see someone tackle that Guts face using the inked shadows as guidelines for where to paint... but I can imagine it's a no-no to modify manga like that if you're going to color.

its a no-no? :\ its kinda wierd that you say that cuz for this Casca pic that i just finished today i perty much did that with the whole drawing using photos... thinking about it, i guess it wouldn't be called a coloring.. well anyways, here's my latest creation :guts: :

finalcolorcaska1.jpg

im still not sure about the background but since thats the sorta thing you do in a life drawing class i added it like that :schierke:

WoW, loving it.... One slight point, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, is the hair, the rest of the image is almost photo realistic while the hair is more manga style, it looks good but IMHO sort of clashes with the rest.
Cheers, keep 'em comin'!

CnC

Ad Oculos
_Very_ interesting pic. I like it. I'm not totally sure what it is about Casca's hair in this pic, but nobody seems to touch it (like vlad noticed). Why not treat that similarly to what you did to the rest of the pic?

The background's fine, imo.

spineylamb said:

Its not really a no-no. Just at that point its more of a paint-over than coloring (you need look no further than the trading card artwork for an example). Coloring comics in the current tradition will change the color of the black lines to achieve an effect, but typically the original drawing still exists in some form.

But anyways, great work mega-devastation

thanks for the comments! yeah im still thinking about doing the hair, im not sure how to go about it though... usually hair in photos dont reflect much light, and i feel like caskas hair isnt very clean either, what with all the battling.. but on the other hand it is an ideal image of her, so.. heh ill give it a try (but later)its 5:22am must catch some Zzz's

I think its superb, except for the hair (as has been mentioned). Get that sorted and you have a fantastic piece af art!

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Is this the technique where you scan in the real, I guess, material/fabric for the item? I know there is that famous Japanese artist who does it, M domething, Miyamotototototototot or something.

Looks awesome by the way! :guts:

That's a great technique used on Casca, a really impressive piece. The armour and sword in particular are great. I see no problems whatsoever with people modifying pictures, particularly if they do it well. Hope to see more in the near future.

Ahh jeez guys thanks for all the wonderful comments, I really appreciate it, but sadly :judo: the original image is only about 20% bigger than what I posted, I mean even if I did have a bigger Casca pic, the photos i used were really small like these:

ir80502-breast-plate.jpg
gd.jpg

Some armor i found on the net used for her armor and much of her sword
And my face for her face (both are actual size)

So yeah SaiyajinNoOuji, I guess that answers your Q, I made the cape using a plain ol' shirt, taking several photos of it using the built in camera on my imac :) it was alot of work like over 200 layers on photoshop (but then again im not very organized with my layers heh heh)

Anyways thank you all, i wonder if i should try doing that for another pic :???:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I think you can expect some more fountains of praise if you do! I'm shocked how good it looks, you've clearly got an artist's eye for it. Geez, 200 layers would crash my poor comp. Not to mention my brain. I get lost what I'm doing once I get over like.. ten. :serpico: I really need to learn Photoshop properly one of these days. A gorgeous piece like this really shows off what's possible when talent meets tools. Inspiring!

i'll see, i gotta take a break though,

yeah though something that helped me alot was the 'transform' option which i didnt know existed untill like a couple of weeks ago, it made things way easy and also using hard light on a dark metal layer makes the metal look all bright and shiny

thank you so much for your post!

A

avidwriter

mega_devastation said:
Anyways thank you all, i wonder if i should try doing that for another pic :???:

Aww, yur purdy. Yes please do more, and even if its 20% larger, its still larger. I'll take it. Maybe Guts next? : )

Top Bottom