Metal Gear Solid V Officially Announced

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I saw it LIVE. :ubik: I thought the trailer was pretty cool honestly. I quite like the surrealism. However, it remains to be seen if that makes a good game...

The rest of the presentation was pretty boring. Here are some pics:

mgs1.png

mgs2.png

The significance in this wireframe view is the amount of polygons on display. Note: this is in the engine itself, not incorporated into a game.

mgs3.png

mgs4.png

mgs5.png

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I admit, my interest ended along with MGS4. I enjoyed the game, even at it's weirdest moments. But I somehow feel very excited about this game. I enjoyed the music in this trailer that made feel fresh.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I thought the trailer was pretty cool honestly. I quite like the surrealism. However, it remains to be seen if that makes a good game...

Loved it! BUT, there's no way the game is as cool as that trailer. Everything that looked like a surreal coma dream in it will turn out to be completely literal... and dumb.

Skeleton said:
Well, I never thought I'd see a flaming, winged unicorn in a Metal Gear Solid game.

Just watch, it's going to be a member of an elite squad of elemental unicornmen of the apocalypse, transformed by the combination of love and war on the battlefield! This phenomenon will be explained by science.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bad news, guys. No Hayter this time around.

IVroGDT.png

:judo:

Nomad said:
I admit, my interest ended along with MGS4. I enjoyed the game, even at it's weirdest moments. But I somehow feel very excited about this game. I enjoyed the music in this trailer that made feel fresh.
Well, I still haven't even played MGS4. :ganishka: I'll admit, I only have a passing interest in even playing this game. I'm really just on board the hype train. Kojima's pretty much the master of that, and I fell for it once again.

Griffith

Walter said:
Bad news, guys. No Hayter this time around.

http://i.imgur.com/IVroGDT.png
:judo:

To be replaced by Keifer Sutherland? Another casualty of Kojima's cinematic pretensions, though I can't say I noticed Hayter was gone the first time I watched this. He's either been replaced with a bigger/better actor or this is a trick.

Walter said:
Well, I still haven't even played MGS4. :ganishka: I'll admit, I only have a passing interest in even playing this game. I'm really just on board the hype train. Kojima's pretty much the master of that, and I fell for it once again.

Play MGS4 and you'll get a lot less excited about Kojima's hype, but it is a great trailer/music video. Also, there seems to be some confusion about whether or not Ground Zeroes and MGS5 are actually the same game. Actually, the latest I read was that Ground Zeroes, which was technically announced with its own trailer, and The Phantom Pain (I can't be the only one to think of Episode I =) are still two separate games despite the obvious crossover in content, and the whole parallel FOX vs. XOF bullshit bolsters that notion. That would make it a Use Your Illusion situation, except if it was made by the new Guns N' Roses. :iva:

guns_n_roses_use_your_illusion_1_a12-tile1.jpg

In any case, if true, it goes without saying that I'm offended on principle. I could be convinced by an argument of unprecedented ambition and potential, but you'd have to believe that on faith, and since it's likely to fail in that regard we're just left with the obvious one-for-two cash grab aspect of such an endeavor. I hope the simplest explanation is also true and they're simply two parts of the same game ala the tanker mission in MGS2. I just hope we don't end up playing as Jack Bauer the whole time after the prologue instead of Snake.

I think it is important to note that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are still two seperate games that TOGETHER make up MGS:V

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/27/the-phantom-pain-and-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-are-two-separate-games/

At least they are getting a little more creative and quirky at gauging our pockets! Let's just hope I'm not going to have to buy too much DLC or micro-transactions on top of buying both games to "fully enjoy" this new game....

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
I really am not excited at all.

I love MGS, but I'm in the same boat as you. MGS 4 was basically pressing X the entire time to go through cut scenes, and I imagine this will be the same.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
I was initially incredibly psyched for MGS4, thinking it might be even better than Snake Eater, even purchased a PS3 just to play the game.

But, the part about it that was like the steel fist of a 450-pound dominatrix to my gaming boner?

"U WERE TEH LIGHTNING IN THAT RAIN!!!!!!111" :magni:

I haven't been excited for a MGS game quite the same way since. I'll play it, but I'm not falling for that shit again Kojima. It's like he cheated on me, and now he has to earn my trust back. Leave your flowers and candy at the door, thanks.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I haven't been interested in a Metal Gear Solid game since I played MGS4. I was so pumped to play it after Snake Eater, too... Damn you, Kojima.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Theoden said:
Well, you should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-edTGJ8DlhI

We must have different concepts of what excitement entails.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Theoden said:
Well, If you understood correctly what the video was about; to sum things up we are going to get a game with a revolutionnary game engine, the most accurate ever created until then.
It's already became to surpass even the way animation movies are created.

If this doesn't excite you, I feel kind of sorry in some way.

A gaming engine doesn't mean shit if the game is shit.

I'm not saying MGSV will be shit, but it isn't exactly the most revolutionary series around. If the gameplay is anything like the previous installments (which it will be), then there isn't going to be much to look forward to. Especially if there's a cut scene every ten fucking minutes.

Griffith

This isn't written to anyone in particular, but if you're just one of our resident statue fetishists moonlighting as a Kojima apologist or tech fanboy and are otherwise useless, plus you're kind of fumbling with your English grammar, you probably shouldn't get all stupidly condescending about it with like our best member ever. Just sayin.

Anyway, it indeed looks gorgeous (mostly, some of it was surprisingly underwhelming considering the high of the highs) and that trailer was a cool music video, especially compared to the fucking dead ass snoozer Ground Zeroes one, but otherwise, from the two games ripoff, to Kojima handling this sort of subject matter, to the Hayter thing (fun as it is watching fanboys try to process it in terms they can understand, "its cuz big boss is olduuurr" :schierke:), this whole wacky endeavor is covered in red flags that have clusterfuck written all over them. And yeah, even though I think the series has been pretty avant garde in some aspects, despite all the usual talk of revolutionary gameplay it's just going to be the same damn MGS game Hideo Kojima makes every few years. Though, in his defense, the previous three before the series of random extended cutscenes with snippets of gameplay in-between that was MGS4 were actually good (I think the stuff you could control on screen was just an elaborate load screen for the next three hour cinematic of Snake and Otakon sitting around babbling a bunch of pseudo-philosophical gobbledygook; featuring real-time plane rides, the most tediously realistic MGS ever). I can't emphasis enough how much I think that game fucking sucked in almost every facet.

P.S. I guess I'll take the bait, so why does Big Boss or Phandom Snake or whoever have what looks like horn-shaped shrapnel coming out of their head? Are Kojima and Fumito Ueda teaming up for a crossover? Also, Diamond Dogs? WTF?

P.P.S. If it's Big Boss' proto-thrash metal bar band of bikers, like he's basically Lemmy from Motorhead, he really will be the coolest character in human history, fictional or otherwise.

I really didn't dislike MGS4 at all.
Even so, I found myself moved by it in many levels. I will agree that the gameplay was nothing out of the extraordinary, but I took it as that the point of the "game" was never that.
It was an "interactive experience" more than a game, to me. And I had the best of time while it lasted. An even afterwards: thanks to all the lore, knowledge and theories surrounding decades of the Metal Gear franchise.
And I have to thank Kojima for that.

I found Old Snake more than interesting. His transition and change as a character was fun, intense and dramatic to find out.

MGS4 delivered answers to many, many years of questioning. Could we have lived without those answers? Of course. But the way they were presented was very pleasing to me anyway.

Having said that, I'm eagerly waiting for MGSV now, and looking forward to keep learning about Big Boss (the man, not the legend) and the moment when he meets Snake and the circle is finally finished.

I'm a fan of Big Boss, I haven't played a game where Naked Snake has disappointed me. I didn't hate MGS2 or MGS4, but the so far their stories that take place in modern times and beyond have really strung me out. But again I really like Big Boss so I'm excited for this game.

Top Bottom