More Pirates!!!!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A recent CNN article interviews Keith Richards, who's playing Depp's dad in Pirates 3 (I'd forgotten about Richards' involvement).

Here's a funny excerpt of it: =)

Had Richards seen the first two "Pirates" movies?

"Oh ... yeah," he said. "How can you not with your grandkids around? I saw 'Pirates' one when it came out. 'Pirates' two I did fall asleep in, but I'd been up for three days."

"I might have fallen asleep myself," Depp replied.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/17/people.depp.richards.ap/index.html

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I read the interview in Rolling Stone magazine not 30 minutes ago and it was fairly interesting, but the photos of the two together were kind of lame.... more interestingly, this was my first time picking up Rolling Stone magazine -- I won't be doing it again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
I read the interview in Rolling Stone magazine not 30 minutes ago and it was fairly interesting, but the photos of the two together were kind of lame.... more interestingly, this was my first time picking up Rolling Stone magazine -- I won't be doing it again.
Yeah, don't even get me started on that magazine... ugh.

I watched Pirates 1 and 2 over the weekend again. Looking forward to 3 now, of course, but it just reminded me how tedious 2 was... man. I actually enjoyed it when I saw it in theatres, but on DVD. Yeeowch. The first movie is still awesome though.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Yeah, don't even get me started on that magazine... ugh.

I watched Pirates 1 and 2 over the weekend again. Looking forward to 3 now, of course, but it just reminded me how tedious 2 was... man. I actually enjoyed it when I saw it in theatres, but on DVD. Yeeowch. The first movie is still awesome though.

I watched Dead Man's Chest last night on DVD, in preparation for At World's End, as I'd only seen the movie once, in theaters. I got the DVD for Christmas last year, which shows how far behind I am in actually watching the DVDs that I own. :SK: I enjoyed it when it came out in theaters, but I didn't think it was anywhere near as cool as the first. After watching it again on DVD, my opinion still stands. Hopefully, At World's End will wrap things up nicely, as I've always found I enjoy sequels that lead into one another more after I've seen both of them.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well so far this movie's getting pretty shitastic reviews. It had a 50% on rottentomatoes (not so good).

Walter said:
I actually enjoyed it when I saw it in theatres, but on DVD. Yeeowch. The first movie is still awesome though.

odd, I was the exact opposite.

As I said several months ago I would only see it if I didn't pay for it, and by chance I happened to be shouted on opening night. Just got back from it.

This movie, was fucking awful. It was even worse than the other two.... and long, so painfully long. Not the type that's bad yet entertaining either, for me it was a chore to sit through. I don't have the patience to talk about all that was bad about it, I'm sure someone who can do it better than I can will say something soon enough.

To top it off I was surrounded by all those people willing to see it on opening night, the fundamental target audience gathered in a dense environment like dregs at the bottom of a fish bowl. Somehow we were right in front of the really loud and annoying ones, it was truly painful. They laughed at the lamest of parts and actually openly clapped during the film at the supposedly funny bits while broadcasting their one liners out loud in the theatre.

Overall it was a terrible experience and I honestly probably would not have bothered to see it even for free if I had known this earlier. It may be too late for me but you can still save your money and time, it's not too late.

Seeing as you considered it worse than the other two (which I take it you didn't like them either) I'm not worried about enjoying this movie, as I loved the other two. Maybe you took the movies seriously. I look at them as nothing more than fun entertainment, and that's why the other two didn't disappoint. I'm seeing it on Saturday.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
yeah, I went to see it last night. It was long...really long...and you could tell they were just trying to cram everything into this movie and tie up any loose ends. The result, in my opinion, is a movie with too much going on and none of it being done exceptionally well. After reading Sparnage's post yesterday, I'm disappointed that I let a few of my friends talk me into seeing it....oh well. The nice thing is, we've got a really huge 30 screen theatre that's never full, so there were maybe 10 people there last night at the 9:00 showing. Anyway, I didn't really enjoy it either..save yourself the money and 3 hours of your time.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Some parts of the movie could have been avoided... aka Keith Richards. I saw no point to him other than showing up and cracking a joke. I also felt that some of the lore was quickly explained and the audience had to absorb it even quicker. I could go into details, but it's 2am and I've been up since 6:30am... yesterday. Simply put -- visually stunning, incredible score, keeps with PotC tradition, loose ends are tied up (like why they gave Barbossa a cheeseball resurrection) and its good for a laugh. Would I recommend seeing it in theatres? So long as you go to one where the populous of the theatre isn't inhabited with children, yes!

Random thought: Anyone else confused about the super powers of Jack's son?[/supermanspoilerflashback]

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Saw it yesterday afternoon and really enjoyed it. I've never been bothered by the length of a movie, as long as I'm enjoying myself. I enjoyed how they wrapped things up, but I agree with Uriel that things moved by rather quickly in regards to the lore, and it was tough keeping up at times.

Just as I thought I enjoyed it. Given, it had it's moments where I was rolling my eyes, but other than that I felt it closed off the trilogy nicely, with a hint of more adventures.

Also, on G4 apparently, the director said he isn't against doing another trilogy. He just wants to do a few other movies first.

Saw it on vacation in Chile with annoying subtitles. I thought I would love this flick, but truth be told mateys, it was poopy, IMO. Reasons below: SPOILER ALERT
1. Anyone find the Calipso plot twist kinda chucked in there outta nowhere?
2. When the lady witch doctor became a giant on the Pearl?
3. Chow Yun Fats character (whom I was looking foward too very much), seemed pointless.
4. Jack´s insanity, albeit appropriate while he was in the locker seemed very gay when he was out.
5. The cop out end fight scene, yes, the 2 ships fighting in the whirlpool was hot, but IDK, anyone else expect a HUGE naval battle between the Brits and the Pirates? I did.
6. Even tho I hate Orlando Bloom, I didn´t like the fact he took Davey Jones´ place. Yes, yes, I kno the ship NEEDS a captain. But IMO, it made the endind a lil´bit too depressing (i suppose tho it takes more balls to end a movie on that note then the ultra mega happy ending...)

I´m sure there´s more I´m leaving out. But I feel like crap and need some sleep.

Oh yea, I missed the first, I dunno, two mins of the movie. I came in when Elzabeth was rowing her way in Sao Fengs´domain. What exactly did I miss?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
dwarfkicker said:
Given, it had it's moments where I was rolling my eyes, but other than that I felt it closed off the trilogy nicely, with a hint of more adventures.

Would one of those moments be Elizabeth's "freedom" speech at the end? Personally, I'm getting tired of all these speeches right before the battle starts. I know it's one of those pump-everyone-up things, but it really just seems like they're ripping off William Wallace's speech in Braveheart each time one is done.

dwarfkicker said:
Also, on G4 apparently, the director said he isn't against doing another trilogy. He just wants to do a few other movies first.

I'd rather they do a fourth, stand-alone movie, rather than another trilogy. I think the actors would be willing to do one more, but three more? I dunno...

Death May Die said:
Pirates 3 is the state of the art example of where films are today. I love the "Epic" vibe hollywood has been using in its latest block busters these last few year.

So, you prefer a mediocre :isidro: EPIC :isidro: that looks pretty rather than a quality film? Okie dokie. You must have loved Episode I.

Death May Die said:
Granted there was bad moments in the movie, but I think it was better than Pirates 2. I think some fates should of differed and have been laid out completely different. But what you going to do? Bitch?

Yep. As it is my god given right.

Death May Die said:
Most importantly...Going into a movie with..."low" expections will ruin any movie. Infact any one who claims to have low expections of any movie shouldn't even be going to see it in the first place. If your not willing to give a movie a chance before you see how is suppost to turn you around? Don't go to the movies to see how bad people messed up a flick to stroke your ego.

Having "low" expectations, is a hell of alot safer than building up something SO much, only for it to let you down. Plus last time I checked, we all had a right to personal opinions.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Death May Die said:
I loved Pirates 3. Granted it had its up's and Down's. But so does every blockbuster ever made.

_Every_ blockbuster? Are you kidding?

Death May Die said:
Proably because a DVD can't contain the experience of it that you would get from a theatre.

Really? 'cause the theatre's are hurting badly from people preferring to watch movies at home. The theatres in my town kinda suck so I know I prefer the home experience. I'm sure the pirate pretending to be Keith Richards will feel no less "epic" at home. :schierke:

Death May Die said:
Granted there was bad moments in the movie, but I think it was better than Pirates 2. I think some fates should of differed and have been laid out completely different. But what you going to do? Bitch?

So what are _you_ doing, exactly?
You could have left it at "I think it was better than Pirates 2", and be done with it rather than rant about those who thought they deserved a good movie (those fuckers :schierke:).

Death May Die said:
Most importantly...Going into a movie with..."low" expections will ruin any movie. Infact any one who claims to have low expections of any movie shouldn't even be going to see it in the first place.

I actually laughed at that. Hilarious. It is, of course, preposterous to claim low expectations will ruin a movie. You must have not thought that one through, did you really mean that?

Death May Die said:
If your not willing to give a movie a chance before you see how is suppost to turn you around? Don't go to the movies to see how bad people messed up a flick to stroke your ego. At least consider that a movie like Pirates is trying to expand audiences, meaning they have to please kids, teens, and adults. Which is very risky and usually has mixed reactions.

Speaking to a broad audience is risky? To who? There was nothing risky in making Spiderman 3, Shrek (note, this is how its spelled) 3, or Pirates 3. They're all but guaranteed to make millions. There is nothing in the 3rd movie of any trilogy that is meant to expand audiences. The audience is already there.

Oh wait, I get it. You're joking? Was this whole post a trolling expedition? 'Cause it can't be that you take these statements seriously. It all makes sense, the lack of spelling or any coherent thought. Well played, sir.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Death May Die said:
I loved Pirates 3. Granted it had its up's and Down's. But so does every blockbuster ever made. So stop acting like Pirates 3 is the first to let you down out all the movies that have been built up. I'm not saying you need to go and see this movie or even like it. Just remember that you proably already like some other crappy ass movie that has more problems then this one did.

Pirates 3 is the state of the art example of where films are today. I love the "Epic" vibe hollywood has been using in its latest block busters these last few year. Its movies like this that are larger than life that make my $8.50 (I don't have to pay all the time) worth going to the movies. I realize I only go to the movies to see these Epic like films. Proably because a DVD can't contain the experience of it that you would get from a theatre.

With Spiderman 3, Sheirk 3, and now Pirates 3...May has been a great movie month. I think Spiderman 3, Sheirk 3 really let me down, and I am so happy that Pirates 3 really didn't disappoint. I even had loud little kids all over around me laughing and what not. I still enjoyed. Your always going to be dealing with things like lots of people and kids when you go opening night. So if you go opening night and don't want to deal...thats your fault.

Most importantly...Going into a movie with..."low" expections will ruin any movie. Infact any one who claims to have low expections of any movie shouldn't even be going to see it in the first place. If your not willing to give a movie a chance before you see how is suppost to turn you around? Don't go to the movies to see how bad people messed up a flick to stroke your ego. At least consider that a movie like Pirates is trying to expand audiences, meaning they have to please kids, teens, and adults. Which is very risky and usually has mixed reactions.

Wow...you're really taking this personally...

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I don't know how or why but I actually liked it. I'm considering this to be one of the signs of the Apocolypse seeing how I have still not watched either of the other pirate movies after the one time in theaters. [They are too boring to watch more then once] Aside from that I was dissapointed in Chow Yung Fat's character. I did walk out for 5 mintues so did he actually do any fighting at all while I was gone?

I had considerably high expectations about this movie, i kinda hoped it would be better than the 2nd one, instead it kinda sucked..

1-It was too long
2-All the piracy lore (the codex, Pirate Lords? wtf?, the pirate king?) seemed a little bit forced..
3-What's with Jack's super powers? He looks like Spiderman now! And the thing that made say out loud "C'mon?" in the theater was that scene near the final where he escapes the ship in a parachute.. :schierke:
4-The "very dangerous" voyage to davy's locker was kinda.. fast? easy?

That's why i like the first PoTC plain and simple movie, the directors didn't make such an effort to entertain the masses.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Death May Die said:
CnC...what movies do you like?

quite a few. Did you really want me to list them? To keep it pertinent to this conversation, I did like Pirates 1.

But honestly, my taste in movies has nothing to do with the points I called you on in my previous post.

fuxberg said:
3-What's with Jack's super powers? He looks like Spiderman now! And the thing that made say out loud "C'mon?" in the theater was that scene near the final where he escapes the ship in a parachute.. :schierke:

What super powers does Jack have?

I watched it a day or so ago. It wasn't horrible, but mediocre at best. the first, as is with many trilogies, was the best. :badbone:

- C

Death May Die said:
I loved Pirates 3. Granted it had its up's and Down's. But so does every blockbuster ever made. So stop acting like Pirates 3 is the first to let you down out all the movies that have been built up. I'm not saying you need to go and see this movie or even like it. Just remember that you proably already like some other crappy ass movie that has more problems then this one did.

I can kinda understand people enjoying it in a mindless sort of way, knowing its bollocks but still getting entertainment out of it. But for you to try and make it out to be a good movie worthy of a respectable title or whatever... well I honestly don't know what to say.

Death May Die, judging by your little rant, remind me to be apprehensive of any movie (and perhaps anything else) you recommend and more willing for those you don't appreciate.

Well now, speaking of epic big hollywood movies that have their ups and down. Nothing says big time like the latest Rocky movie wouldn't you say. If you of course think "IT" lived up to the title it was given.

Top Bottom