Movies to dread

NightCrawler said:
What the fuck? Raimi returning to horror and your posting that in this thread? Have you got no taste? Jebus.

My taste huh?

Sorry to break it to you, but Raimi's new movie looks like crap. Obviously, I haven't seen the entire film, but come on man.
Who doesn't love the Evil Dead trilogy? Sorry, but Campbell made that series. Period. Don't even try to tell me the Spiderman films are really something special. Are they better than other attempts at superhero movies. Absolutely, but the Batman camp have nailed what a superhero movie should be IMO. The Spiderman films were always way too slapstick to be taken seriously. Yeah, Emo Parker. Awesome. Ugh.

Evil Dead 1, 2 and AoD are a hoot to watch. Then again so is Raiders of the Lost Ark...but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sucked hard. Monkeys and refrigerators people. Just because someone did great work before doesn't mean everything they do after will be gold.

Raimi's new film looks like anything but gold. Time will tell though. I'm happy he's returning to his roots. Hopefully, he hones that 'stuff' he had when making the E.D.'s

Ever see Thinner? Now watch this trailer again. :schierke:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
I actually have to agree with him. Even if i didn't like the movie that much. I agree it was very courageous, for a blockbuster (way more than The Dark Knight), in it's presentation and faithfulness to the form and adult themes of the original work, and we need more movies like this

From your description it sounds like it's on the wrong side of the line between brave and stupid, so maybe we actually don't need more movies like that. =)

Proj2501 said:
My taste huh?

Sorry to break it to you, but Raimi's new movie looks like crap. Obviously, I haven't seen the entire film, but come on man.

I'm not defending the movie, but I don't see any argument to defend against, anymore than if you were arbitrarily raving that it looks awesome for no reason. I'm not exactly sure what Batman, Indiana Jones, and Thinner really have to do with it or Sam Raimi, I know what you mean, but it's pretty strained. I'm sure you have your reasons it rubs you the wrong way (didn't like what you saw, the actors, etc?), but share that rather than simply making dubious blanket statements like...

Proj2501 said:
Who doesn't love the Evil Dead trilogy? Sorry, but Campbell made that series. Period.

Whoa, that's more of a comma at best. Not to take anything away from Bruce Campbell concerning Evil Dead, but don't take anything away from Raimi there either.

Oburi said:
Raimi is suppose to be remaking Evil Dead too.

I saw that, and I suppose since it's not Evil Dead 4, it's supposed be a "serious" remake. I can see the point if Raimi does it, but from what it says on imdb, there looking for a another director and it certainly doesn't look like it'd be done anytime soon... I don't get it.

I hear you Griff on all points. I posted what I did after a long day. :puck: :puck:
But, can we at least agree that the acting from the trailer does looks pretty bad.

The gypsy curse thing was what reminded me of Thinner.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
What the fuck? Raimi returning to horror and your posting that in this thread? Have you got no taste? Jebus.

That trailer doesn't look very good, sorry to say. I love Sam Raimi (as much for Evil Dead as for Darkman), but his name alone isn't enough to make a movie good. I wasn't a big fan of the Spiderman movies either.

NightCrawler said:
I actually have to agree with him. Even if i didn't like the movie that much. I agree it was very courageous, for a blockbuster (way more than The Dark Knight), in it's presentation and faithfulness to the form and adult themes of the original work, and we need more movies like this, not watered-down toy commercials like Wolverine.
The problem is the trailer was misleading in a way, and for example in the cinema i went, some people walked out. They were probably expecting entertainment like the Batman/Iron Man movies. A cast of unknowns and semi-mediocre actors didn't help either.

Let's not exaggerate. The movie's not a complete sellout, but it isn't an act of extraordinary bravery either. It's still commercial and surfing on the wave of comic book adaptations. It's not small budget independant cinema with challenging themes.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
That trailer doesn't look very good, sorry to say. I love Sam Raimi (as much for Evil Dead as for Darkman), but his name alone isn't enough to make a movie good. I wasn't a big fan of the Spiderman movies either.

I've read some good things about it, and while i remain a bit sceptical, it is in no way a movie to dread. Come on people, the other thread needs some love too.

X

Xem

No offense to the admins or anything, but with the amount of discussion about The Watchmen is it totally impossible to splice all these posts discussing it together into a thread of it's own? It's been polluting this and Look Forward To's thread's for weeks now.

In Short...

START A NEW TOPIC!

:troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
No offense to the admins or anything, but with the amount of discussion about The Watchmen is it totally impossible to splice all these posts discussing it together into a thread of it's own? It's been polluting this and Look Forward To's thread's for weeks now.

In Short...

START A NEW TOPIC!

:troll:

It's possible, though tracking every post is going to be a bother. And it's called "Watchmen" without an article.

Ryan Reynolds talks Deadpool,
http://www.fancast.com/blogs/the-movies/ryan-reynolds-talks-deadpool-in-wolverine/
“I think you will care about him. He walks the line between good guys and bad guys. You’ll be curious about him, beyond the film. I play Wade Wilson and I play Deadpool, but the character I play as Deadpool I personally don’t consider him to be Deadpool. Fox may differ with me, but I consider him to be the thing that Deadpool came from. It doesn’t carry on past that, because the film is called Wolverine. I’m the thing that will eventually become Deadpool, but yeah, he’s scarred up. You’re gonna see the scars. That’s all in there.”

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well I didn't go see Dragonball Evolution. I asked everyone at my parents in law's place if anyone wanted to go since they had the day off...

SaiyajinNoOuji- :serpico: : Anyone want to go with me to see the Dragonball movie?

everyone else- :ganishka: ugggh, no. it doesn't look very good.

:judo:

Maybe they were trying to save me from my own curiosity. I saw some of the stuff on Youtube and welp... meh.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Well I didn't go see Dragonball Evolution. I asked everyone at my parents in law's place if anyone wanted to go since they had the day off...

SaiyajinNoOuji- :serpico: : Anyone want to go with me to see the Dragonball movie?

everyone else- :ganishka: ugggh, no. it doesn't look very good.

:judo:

Maybe they were trying to save me from my own curiosity. I saw some of the stuff on Youtube and welp... meh.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragonball-evolution

Just read that and you'll have a sense of the abomination you saved yourself from. It actually describes the entire movie.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm sure some of you have heard of the Last House on the Left remake. Well this guy I know (not me) shamefully saw this movie hoping it wouldn't be the same generic, typical hollywood teen horror bullshit that plagues theaters these days. He thought "maybe this one could actually be cool. I mean it's a remake of a very harsh film by Wes Craven about a father who gets revenge on the guys who raped his daughter. No monster, no ghosts, no stupid unrealistic puzzles and traps. Just a good ol fashion revenge flick". ...He was wrong. Boy was he wrong. It was better than most stupid horror movies that come out these days, but nothing worth your money. I mean... what a stupid friend I have...you guys could have told him that from the beginning, couldn't you? I'm sure he won't make that mistake again, not if I have anything to do with it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
yea thats why I saw it in the first place. The only scene that was actually cool is when
the dad is trying to drown one rapist in the kitchen sink and shoves his hand in the garbage disposal and flips the switch. It's brutal. And then as the guy is screaming in pain the dad grabs a hammer and sticks it into the the rapists head. Thats was the coolest part of the movie, and the most violent.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Proj2501 said:
My taste huh?

Who doesn't love the Evil Dead trilogy? Sorry, but Campbell made that series. Period. Don't even try to tell me the Spiderman films are really something special.
Evil Dead 1, 2 and AoD are a hoot to watch. Then again so is Raiders of the Lost Ark...but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sucked hard. Monkeys and refrigerators people. Just because someone did great work before doesn't mean everything they do after will be gold.

I'm still not sure what to make of the preview. Forget Raimi, looking at it from a fresh point of view I can't tell if it looks silly or legitimately scary. Put it this way, if I hadn't known Sam Raimi was in the directors chair this preview would have caught my attention. You can tell it's going to be something different and whether or not it does well at the box office won't matter to me because Raimi's best work is his most unsuccessful work, IMO of course, and I am referring to Evil Dead trilogy versus Spiderman trilogy (his other pictures were average at best (save Darkman)).

But i think you went a bit too far Proj. Saying Campbell made that series...period. Bruce is great no doubt, but there are things in Evil Dead that are clearly the work of a promising young writer/director. Watch Evil Dead one again and stay alert to the camera work, especially at the end when Bruce is the only one left in the cabin. Even the sound is a detail that Raimi deserves. For example when Shellie I believe her name is becomes first possessed there is a low frequency rumbling that plays over the fight scene, something I've heard only a few notable films do before (Eraserhead, Irreversible). Raimi is or was a talented film maker at one point with potential. He has not lived up to that potential and sold out to make big hollywood blockbusters like spiderman which, I agree with you proj, are no better than any other superhero movie (if not worse) and Raimi wasted his talent again. However, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on his new film. Honestly the trailer is better than anything he's done since Darkman and even though it looks a little strange...that could be a good thing. But please don't say Bruce Campbell is the reason why the Evil Dead series was so well done, it's clearly not, he just made it all the more enjoyable. It's not even right to take away Raimi's credit for those films, read up about what an insanely crazy adventure it was just to make those movies and you'll see why Raimi is givin so much praise for them.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
This is semi related to this thread, but I just found out that the actor playing Piccolo in the Dragonball movie lives in/came from my town. What a great claim to fame. :schierke: But I guess George Lucas coming from here more than balances that out, huh?

Top Bottom