Movies to dread

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
IncantatioN said:
Trailer for Pompei

http://movies.yahoo.com/video/pompei-trailer-4-194006452.html

Paul's last good movie was Event Horizon, maybe Soldier ... but I haven't watched that in years.

I don't know about Pompeii, but I feel that it should be moved to "Movies to ???".

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I'm getting a little weary of all these end of the world spectacle movies...

I mean, not that the trailer looks especially awful or anything, but what the hell is it even trying to be? In the beginning of the trailer I thought it was going into heavy-handed religious messages about the excess of the roman empire, perhaps like the soon to be end of the world spectacle Noah, but then it just turns into a Gladiator knockoff ....where everyone dies at the end? (well, even more so) I guess the third act is supposed to be like end of the world spectacle 2012, but what exactly is the point of all of this? The trailer makes it seem like it takes itself more seriously than just a popcorn movie, so I guess I just don't get it.

Almost forgot to add the reason I posted this at all! I think it belongs in this thread, rather than ???

K

krzykoopa

Scorpio said:
I'm getting a little weary of all these end of the world spectacle movies...

I mean, not that the trailer looks especially awful or anything, but what the hell is it even trying to be? In the beginning of the trailer I thought it was going into heavy-handed religious messages about the excess of the roman empire, perhaps like the soon to be end of the world spectacle Noah, but then it just turns into a Gladiator knockoff ....where everyone dies at the end? (well, even more so) I guess the third act is supposed to be like end of the world spectacle 2012, but what exactly is the point of all of this? The trailer makes it seem like it takes itself more seriously than just a popcorn movie, so I guess I just don't get it.

Almost forgot to add the reason I posted this at all! I think it belongs in this thread, rather than ???

I think it does look awful. The story of Pompeii which everyone knows BUT WHAT YOU DONT KNOW is the gladiator star crossed lovers who had to fight through it. I will pass on this one

Deci

Last I heard was Joaquin Phoenix, which I actually dug. I never really thought Bryan Cranston would play the role, I think he's a bit too old imo, and has better movies on his table than what is turning into a Justice League origin story. I mean Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are confirmed. That's the trinity right there, all you really need for the Justice League. Just call it what it is already! Justice League Begins. There's also Jason Mamao (Khal Drogo fame) and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson more or less confirmed, which could lead to Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, or maybe even Hawkman or one of the lesser ones. Green Arrow has been rumored, there's been a suspiciously perfect-to-play-Aquaman actor cast, can't remember his name as well.

Anyway...

I imagine the casting of Jesse Eisenberg for Lex Luthor went something like this,

"How about this Jesse Eisenberg? He played a prodigal genius-type in The Social Network, wouldn't he be just perfect?!"

"Yea! And it's a totally wacky choice just like Affleck for Batman! Gotta stay consistent here, wouldn't want the comic book fans getting confused into thinking we're adapting anything from the comics!!"

:troll:

That second part is actually part a difficult truth. If they change the characters enough, they may actually get them to organically fit together good in a movie. These characters in the comics were never intended to interact originally, unlike the Marvel heroes who were mostly all created at the same time by the same people with the same publishers. DC heroes were originally kinda forced together awkwardly. So, if they change them enough (as has been seen already with the Dark Knight-esque Superman), they may actually get this to work.

Only problem there is, everyone is pissed that they aren't seeing the "real" heroes on this big screen. They are changed so much that only the name remains and some nods to their comic counterparts to attach them to the original. So, it still fails as a Justice League movie, even when it succeeds. Get my point?

Seriously, this will be a disaster, but I love watching disasters and wrecks. So I'm excited! :griffnotevil:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm not really concerned, probably because I just don't care and there's been so much gonzo news regarding this film's premise and casting that it's already the most entertaining superhero movie on the horizon and it's not out for another year and a half. I just want to see what they do with Batman's look for the film (easily Snyder's biggest strength). Yes, my expectations for this movie essentially hinge on Batman's tights, and that tells you all you need to know about the rest. From those that have seen it, Ben Affleck confidants basically, it's supposedly awesome. Most promising was Kevin Smith's assertion that it's not the typical black leather Batman/X-Men movie look, supporting the idea we might finally see Batman's classic blue and grays on screen for the first time without Shark Repellent.

500full.jpg

Hopefully, costume color scheme is all these iterations have in common. =)​

Actually, let's put that image through the Snyderizor and see what we get:

batman-shark-lightsaber.jpg

OOOOOHHH, TOTALLY BADICAL!!! :isidro: :isidro: :isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Most promising was Kevin Smith's assertion that it's not the typical black leather Batman/X-Men movie look, supporting the idea we might finally see Batman's classic blue and grays on screen for the first time without Shark Repellent.
That'd be interesting. We've sort of been stuck in the Tim Burton-era Batman design since it debuted more than 20 years ago.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Most promising was Kevin Smith's assertion that it's not the typical black leather Batman/X-Men movie look, supporting the idea we might finally see Batman's classic blue and grays on screen for the first time without Shark Repellent.

Maybe it's Robo-Bats à la the new RoboCop movie instead. :carcus:

Antonius Block

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.
Aazealh said:
And set in an 80s cyberpunk future. I'd watch it.

I'd buy that for a dollar :troll:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/feb/06/robocop-remake-total-recall-stormship-troopers-paul-verhoeven

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Antonius Block said:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/feb/06/robocop-remake-total-recall-stormship-troopers-paul-verhoeven

Big surprise, the remake sucks!

On a side note, I don't find that article very good. I'd much rather say RoboCop is Verhoeven's masterpiece over Starship Troopers, which (despite having enjoyed it) I don't think is quite as good and highly thought-out as the guy is making it out to be. And what to say of him shitting on Heinlein...

Antonius Block

Quite honestly as a whole the article does in fact suck. The only poignant statement that I think the author put out there was right in the beginning when he said that the Verhoeven remakes embody the very things that he himself satirized.

For some reason the insert quote function is not working on my wife's computer... Anyway, I agree whole heartedly, Robocop is without a doubt Mr. Verhoeven's masterpiece. I think Starship Troopers came out when a whole new generation of pre-teens and adolescents got their first taste of ultra-violence with some humor and quick wit, and summed it up as the end all-be-all of dark sci-fi thrillers, therefore it has a very special place in their hearts. By this time I think Verhoeven may have had his hand forced by the powers that be too much for this film to be what it truly could have been.

I could be romanticizing things too much, but I see the original Robocop as a gamble. They gave an edgy Dutch Director a little freedom on his second US feature, and when uninhibited the man can truly shine. The fact that the original Robocop is so damn good, is because I think the Director got a chance to just do his thing, without some bean counter barking in his ear the whole time. (I've never read any in-depth report on the making of Robocop, once again this is me romanticizing this film, which is on my top 10 list.)

All-in-All the general consensus amongst the majority of level-headed individuals has got to be that the remake is crap. I for one have been beating this fact into the ground, and it is my oath to leave it at that from here on out.

I will be interested to read reviews on this forum though...

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Big surprise, the remake sucks!

On a side note, I don't find that article very good. I'd much rather say RoboCop is Verhoeven's masterpiece over Starship Troopers, which (despite having enjoyed it) I don't think is quite as good and highly thought-out as the guy is making it out to be. And what to say of him shitting on Heinlein...

I couldn't get that far, the writing style and mentality behind it was too atrocious. Also, don't forget Berserk influence Flesh + Blood when debating Verhoeven's true masterpiece. =)

S2VkZ.jpg

Yes, also like Berserk, "a mirror of our time."* But yeah, RoboCop's the correct answer.​

*May not be at all like our time.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
I couldn't get that far, the writing style and mentality behind it was too atrocious. Also, don't forget Berserk influence Flesh + Blood when debating Verhoeven's true masterpiece. =)

S2VkZ.jpg

Yes, also like Berserk, "a mirror of our time."* But yeah, RoboCop's the correct answer.​

*May not be at all like our time.

Hollow Man is his masterpiece, and you damn well know it!

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Hollow Man is his masterpiece, and you damn well know it!

I honestly forgot that was him. Anyway, this negative RoboCop review had me at its title, naturally:

http://deadspin.com/i-wouldnt-buy-this-for-a-dollar-robocop-reviewed-1520545447

Also a nice take on what made the original 'Cop and Verhoeven special.

Antonius Block

making their villains wonderfully slimy

Did they ever... I was 8 when I first saw Robocop and the scene when Emil got thrashed by the toxic waste blew my mind.

One of the only other haunting movie moments from my childhood that stayed with me for years was in The Thing when the loose head that ripped off the one dude's body sprouted the spider-legs and took off running. Nightmares for years... :SK:

Griffith

I'd buy that for... well, you know, and I really wish this were out instead of the new RoboCop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1lbraEMb0

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'd buy that for... well, you know, and I really wish this were out instead of the new RoboCop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1lbraEMb0

My god this is so messy and full of shit that I cried laughing.

Top Bottom