Movies To Look Forward to

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I'm just a whore for zombie flicks, but it doesn't look AWFUL. I think I'll actually see it, and not many movies get that honor from me. The last one was Bond.

I guess it's just a matter of relativity though. It's been a really unadventerous year for movies so far. I'd much rather see this than ... ohh, WILD HOGS.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
It's been a really unadventerous year for movies so far.

I agree. Aside from 300, there haven't been any movies since the start of the year that I've really been looking forward to that have come out. All the ones I'm really excited about are the upcoming summer blockbusters, like Spider-Man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

I agree with the popular consensus here. 300 was incredible. Everything else has been kinda lame. :troll:

- c

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
28 Days Later was pretty good for being a zombie movie. 28 weeks at least has a decent starting block. If it gets decent reviews it has my money. Interesting premise at least, I can't recall many movies dealing with repopulation after a zombie outbreak.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Vaxillus said:
Interesting premise at least, I can't recall many movies dealing with repopulation after a zombie outbreak.

Well while that _would_ be interesting, the trailer just makes it seem like a basis upon which to stage yet ANOTHER outbreak.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Well while that _would_ be interesting, the trailer just makes it seem like a basis upon which to stage yet ANOTHER outbreak.
That was my first thought too. They'll have all this plot setup just so it comes crashing down again - the irreversible FAILURE of humans. "U CAN'T KEEP A GOOD ZOMBIE DOWN!" will be the tagline, I'm sure. Pretty well-trodden territory as far as things go ... that's not to say I'm not interested in this take on it.

I'll pay $7 for any movie where they carpetbomb London to get rid of zombies. Screw the details. :zodd:

After doing some quick superficial research on the production side of it, it does indeed smell like a cash in. The writer and director have only had failures of movies, and the director of 28 Days is just a producer this time around, although it appears he did pick this director himself.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well all my accusations of this being a cash-in could be negated by realizing that plot is never really been the strong point in a zombie movie (the most recent Dawn of the Dead was awesome, and I don't really remember there being much of a plot).

There are some interesting places this movie could go though. If they can avoid a Resident Evil pitfall, I'd like to know more about the rage drug and its creators. And the story of rebuilding a destroyed civilization has promise. However I still have this sinking feeling that we'll be back to running from zombies as early as possible.

meh

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I agree a zombie flick doesn't need a good plot, per se, but it needs a creative setup. The original Dawn of the Dead had a great setup/concept. Zombies have infested a shopping mall. The heavily outnumbered humans must survive by using the tools at hand in creative ways.

(Man, on reflection 28 Days Later was a fucking mess in this regard... what WAS the premise? Guy wakes up and there are zombies, so he keeps running? Then they meet some army guys in the last 30 minutes? Christ, who wrote this pile of garbage?! ... Where's George Romero?! Still ... it was kinda entertaining.)

My skepticism of this movie is that it doesn't appear to be pushing into new territory for a setup. Humans must survive in the city from zombies. Then again, this would be an outbreak from stage 1, so... can't think of many movies where that's been done. Most other zombie flicks start out after the spread.

CnC said:
However I still have this sinking feeling that we'll be back to running from zombies as early as possible.
Yep, I'm betting that much of the footage from the last 30 seconds of that trailer happens within the first 10-20 minutes of the film :guts:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
(Man, on reflection 28 Days Later was a fucking mess in this regard... what WAS the premise? Guy wakes up and there are zombies, so he keeps running? Then they meet some army guys in the last 30 minutes? Christ, who wrote this pile of garbage?! ... Where's George Romero?! Still ... it was kinda entertaining.)

Oh come now, George Romero is over rated! He is the Bill Gates of everything zombie [Deadrising disclaimer having to tell people it wasn't relaited to the ____ of the Dead series]. 28 Days Later at least put something out there that was new taht hadn't been beaten to death by Romero yet. Out side of the original Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead [Bub] I havn't liked anything Romero has ever made.

My skepticism of this movie is that it doesn't appear to be pushing into new territory for a setup. Humans must survive in the city from zombies.

While the US is trying to wipe out both zombies and humen. Still not new territory [Deadrising, Resident Evil], but the story at least looks interesting. I liked almost everything about 28 Days later but the main character was a whiny bitchs. At least this time the main character looks like a hero [zombie movies lack heroes] that isn't a puta!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Out side of the original Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead [Bub] I havn't liked anything Romero has ever made.
Wait a minute, you didn't like NIght of the Living Dead, but you liked DAY of the dead? What?! Jesus! No, stay... STAY BACK! NooooO! ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooozyxblargh...!! ............... brains.

I liked almost everything about 28 Days later but the main character was a whiny bitchs. At least this time the main character looks like a hero [zombie movies lack heroes] that isn't a puta!
I'll agree with that but the main character in this movie looks like he's 12 years old and is asking questions about his mommy. I anticipate whining.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:

I actually found 28 days later's setup more interesting than Dawn's. They weren't "zombies" (or undead) per se, but infected with rage. My only gripe with that foundation was why weren't the zombie attacking each other (actually I kind of have that gripe with every zombie movie). But I agree that things got kind of strange once they got to the army guys. But then again, I don't think I could have ended it any better.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was not as many zombies as the first movie. The first movie didn't look like it was left open for a sequal, much less planned for one.

And I dont expect much ass kicking either because of a 12 year old main charecter.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Wait a minute, you didn't like NIght of the Living Dead, but you liked DAY of the dead? What?! Jesus! No, stay... STAY BACK! NooooO! ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooozyxblargh...!! ............... brains.

I liked the Bub sub story and the escape at the end, not really the WHOLE movie just if you were to have a Bub edit to where it was nothing but Bub.

I'll agree with that but the main character in this movie looks like he's 12 years old and is asking questions about his mommy. I anticipate whining.

I don't know the kid could easily turn into another Ash from Evil Dead 2. Joking aside, I was hoping the American dude leading the kid and his sister around would be the hero. British kid is just an excuses for him to have a hot sister.

DemonX v.2.0 said:
I wouldnt be surprised if there was not as many zombies as the first movie.

There wasn't that many zombies in the first movie, just sorta like a hand full. I'm expecting this movie to have hoards of zombies.

And I don't expect much ass kicking either because of a 12 year old main character.

I don't know about that. I'm looking forward to American soldiers mowing down waves of zombies while that one SF dude is running through the streets fighting zombies and trying to get out before bombs kill him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I actually found 28 days later's setup more interesting than Dawn's. They weren't "zombies" (or undead) per se, but infected with rage.

Yeah, right... It's not zombies, they just have super-rabies! :schierke: The Ganados aren't zombies infected by the T-virus, they're infested by Las Plagas parasites! Totally different! If the scenario had taken advantage of this I'd have agreed, but they just used it as a semi-believable way of how "zombies" could scientifically exist, since by definition they're supernatural monsters.

I liked 28 Days Later, but what does this sequel bring us? "Alright, the infected are all dead, we repopulate the place. Let's bring in kids with their gramma and all the shit." Then 25 minutes into the film, after a much boring depiction of little girl in a harsh world, we'll hear that fantastic quote from the trailer "Ok, the fission mailed, let's KILL EVERYBODY." Great premise indeed, must have taken months to think of it. I'm not opposed to the film in itself, but the trailer sort of killed my enthusiasm.

Loved 28 days later, and 28 weeks later looks pretty good, as long as they keep the emphasis on characters and emotion rather than "ZOMBIES!!!! GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!"

Zombies dont attack each other because they, for some reason, only prefer living flesh. At least thats what the "Zombie Survival Guide" says :guts:

Day of the Dead is actually my favorite of Romeros trilogy. I try to forget about Land of the Dead *shudders* And yes, Romero is overrated as a filmmaker. Almost every other movie he's done has ranged from merely okay (Martin) to horrendous (Bruiser).

Speaking of Day of the Dead.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYs3q4ix2o

Now THAT looks horrendous. Why not just make it another movie entirely? It doesnt even look remotely similar to the original.

Top Bottom