Movies to look forward to

Oburi

All praise Grail
gah... none of my friends wanted to see this one. ...stupid friends...

lol same here. I'm like the "film guy" in my group so my friends only want to see the transformers type movies, nobody wanted to see No country. Sucks.
 
Well, it's quite surprising that No Country even came out here. It doesn't seem the type of film to rake in the big dough.

And what's quite a mystery is why I'm going to have to drive two hours to Atlanta the day after Christmas to see There Will Be Blood and I'm not there. There's been so much "Oscar buzz" about these films that one would think this town would respond to it (they always have before). And this is, of course, assuming that even Atl will have these films.

It's more upsetting than I care to explain.
 
The Perineum Falcon said:
Well, it's quite surprising that No Country even came out here. It doesn't seem the type of film to rake in the big dough.

And what's quite a mystery is why I'm going to have to drive two hours to Atlanta the day after Christmas to see There Will Be Blood and I'm not there. There's been so much "Oscar buzz" about these films that one would think this town would respond to it (they always have before). And this is, of course, assuming that even Atl will have these films.

It's more upsetting than I care to explain.

Stupid limited releases. I have to wait another 2 weeks to see There Will Be Blood. Luckily, there was one theater near me playing I'm Not There, so I had the pleasure of seeing that, but these limited releases are really chapping my ass. I had to wait an extra week to see Eastern Promises when that was released, too.

Speaking of Eastern Promises, that was one of the best films released this year (my personal favorite by far), but it got far less attention then even No Country. Of course, the Coen's reputation precedes them. My friends were eager to see No Country because of Big Lebowski and Fargo (seems to be their most well known films, if you ask me Barton Fink is the best Coen's film out there). Same with Paul Thomas Anderson and Boogie Nights/Magnolia. These guys are some of the best filmmakers out there, no doubt, (I'm pretty certain There Will Be Blood will be great), but it's a real shame that Cronenberg's Eastern Promises got so overlooked.
 

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
aufond said:
Speaking of Eastern Promises, that was one of the best films released this year (my personal favorite by far),

I was all for seeing Eastern Promise till i found out it was being directed by David Cronenberg. It could be good, but after watching History of Violence I didn't want to take the risk of pay more for it then I can rent it for.

but it got far less attention then even No Country. Of course, the Coen's reputation precedes them. My friends were eager to see No Country because of Big Lebowski and Fargo (seems to be their most well known films, if you ask me Barton Fink is the best Coen's film out there). Same with Paul Thomas Anderson and Boogie Nights/Magnolia.

I really want to see No Country...
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
I was all for seeing Eastern Promise till i found out it was being directed by David Cronenberg. It could be good, but after watching History of Violence I didn't want to take the risk of pay more for it then I can rent it for.

I love Cronenberg and I can't wait to see Eastern Promises. History of violence was great, I thought.

My friends were eager to see No Country because of Big Lebowski and Fargo (seems to be their most well known films, if you ask me Barton Fink is the best Coen's film out there).

I have all the Coen Bros films and my favorits were their early ones-Blood Simple made me sweat profusely it was so suspenseful at parts and Millers Crossing is just flatout amazing. Raising Arizona is their funniest comedy to date.

Same with Paul Thomas Anderson and Boogie Nights/Magnolia.

I just can't not get excited when I see someone mention Boogie Nights. It's one of my favorite movies ever. Probably on the top 5! I must have seen 100 times and it never gets old. Me and my friends quote it all the time and you'd thinkour excitement would fade away after seeing it years ago but it just does not.
 

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
I love Cronenberg and I can't wait to see Eastern Promises. History of violence was great, I thought.

It probably was, after the second time of watching it the movie lost it's shine that it once had. It just seemed like what it had going for it was gore and sex. I'll check out Eastern Promise when it comes out on dvd tho.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't know how much stock anyone of yous guys put in Peter Travis' reviews in Rolling Stone (I know Walter is a huge fan) but he gave great reviews for the top 10 movie of the year. 1- No Country... 4 -Eastern Promises 5-Sweeny Todd and 7- There will be Blood. And of course for the years "worst soul-sucking dumb-ass bottom feeder award"
-"Michael Bay almost had for Transformers- nobody does bull like bay, he rocks it - but I'm going with Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End for illustrating just how low talent will sink for a big payday."

My man. Nice!
 
I'm glad so many are interested in Eastern Promises, don't let History of Violence sway you away from that because they're completely different, although they both star Viggo Mortenson. I know A History of Violence was hated by many, but it's a good film if you can handle the atypical acting. I prefer Cronenberg's older stuff, ie Scanners, Videodrome, Dead Ringers, etc. He was brilliant way beyond his time if you ask me.

But back to Eastern Promises, the dvd is due out sometime this week I believe, hopefully it will include some good extra features. But to those who haven't seen it and plan to, you're in for a real treat.
 
Yeah, Eastern Promises was way better than A History of Violence. If I don't get it for Christmas, I'll probably buy it soon after. My Dad and I both loved it.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
While I was doing some last minute Christmas shopping using gift cards for Newbury Comics that I got as early gifts from other family members (:guts:), I picked up Eastern Promises for myself and I'm watching it tonight so I'll post about how good it is later tonight. Also bought Jim Jarmusch's Night On Earth starring my super love crush girl Winona Ryder, and Stranger than Paradise. Both these Jarmusch films have been almost unavailable on dvd until just a few months ago when Criterion put them out. These are the only Jarmusch films I have not seen and will complete my Jarmusch dvd collection. Anyone else see these?
 
A quick summation and result for the films I've seen this past week:

Assassination of Jesse James... - good, not great, but I enjoyed it. A little overlong though, which is odd because for the majority of the time spent watching it, I didn't notice it's length. The ending just goes on forever.
I left the theater in a good mood.

Walk Hard - Very few laughs here. I enjoyed some of the songs, the ridiculousness at times, and the references to other musicians and all, but most of it was just boring.
I left a little depressed.
Even though it's a parody, it's just as mediocre as Ray and Walk the Line and all those other music biopics, barring the next:

I'm Not There - Beautiful. It's uneven at times, but overall keeps things fresh and exciting.
I left feeling high and at peace with the world.


Now if I could only see There Will Be Blood.....
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
Thanks for the summation of your recent viewings, slightly green. What you said about I'm not there is just enough to tip the scale in making me want to see it. Also how about 10,000 B.C.? Looks fucking awsome. Director Roland Emmerich has made some shitty movies (Universal Soldier, Stargate, ID4, Godzilla) but he's good at making these big, towering, disaster type popcorn movies.
Independence Day
was my favorite when I was a kid. It's one those movies I can recite word for word. I know the whole script. And from the way 10,000 B.C. looks it'll probably be very cool. I just have no idea what to expect and no idea how they plan do execute this film. I don't really want to either, I want to be completely surprised and amazed when I see it.
 
Oburi said:
While I was doing some last minute Christmas shopping using gift cards for Newbury Comics that I got as early gifts from other family members (:guts:), I picked up Eastern Promises for myself and I'm watching it tonight so I'll post about how good it is later tonight. Also bought Jim Jarmusch's Night On Earth starring my super love crush girl Winona Ryder, and Stranger than Paradise. Both these Jarmusch films have been almost unavailable on dvd until just a few months ago when Criterion put them out. These are the only Jarmusch films I have not seen and will complete my Jarmusch dvd collection. Anyone else see these?

Hell yeah, Jarmusch is one of my other favorite directors. My favorite of his is Dead Man, with one of the best movie soundtracks of all time by Neil Young. All of his films are great though, Stranger Then Paradise is an odd little film but it's hilarious in it's own way. I really love Down By Law and even Ghost Dog. Visually, I like the black and white Jarmusch films the best, Robby Muller's cinematography work is simply amazing.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
aufond said:
Hell yeah, Jarmusch is one of my other favorite directors. My favorite of his is Dead Man, with one of the best movie soundtracks of all time by Neil Young. All of his films are great though, Stranger Then Paradise is an odd little film but it's hilarious in it's own way. I really love Down By Law and even Ghost Dog. Visually, I like the black and white Jarmusch films the best, Robby Muller's cinematography work is simply amazing.

Cool dude. I agree 100% about Dead Man. It's my favorite also and it DOES have one of the best soundtracks by one the best musicians. And Robby Muller is amazing. Rock on bro!
 
A few words on Juno:

This movie was ultimately too clever for it's own good.
The best moments were when they weren't trying to be so "hip."
I give it an 'eh' for effort.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
The Perineum Falcon said:
A few words on Juno:

This movie was ultimately too clever for it's own good.
The best moments were when they weren't trying to be so "hip."
I give it an 'eh' for effort.

Ha ha. It's not like Napoleon Dynamite is it?, Or is it trying to be like that? Thats what I heard.
 
Oburi said:
Ha ha. It's not like Napoleon Dynamite is it?, Or is it trying to be like that? Thats what I heard.
Well, seeing as how I couldn't bear to finish Napoleon Dynamite, I'd say this is slightly better.
It seems more in the vein of the self-consciously indie films like Thumbsucker or Little Miss Sunshine.
So, if you really liked those movies, you'd probably really dig this. A lot. I'm talking goldmine.
I just don't buy it though.

UPDATE:
I saw Sweeny Todd last night.
Musicals aren't normally my bag, but as with anything, a film of quality can make one overlook habitual taste. (Singin' In the Rain, anyone?)
It was really hard to get through the numbers in the beginning. It just felt like the cast (which is excellent) and the director weren't very comfortable. About halfway through, during the most colorful sequence in the film, they really hit their stride and the film becomes a joy to watch.
Incredibly, surprisingly violent. So much blood, and to a ridiculous degree.
The "twist" (if you can call it that) is pretty obvious, and by following the set up closely the ending becomes known well before it happens, but it didn't seem like much of a problem here.

I dunno, overall I'd say that I enjoyed it at least.
 

CnC

Ad Oculos
The Perineum Falcon said:
UPDATE:
I saw Sweeny Todd last night.
Musicals aren't normally my thing, but like with anything, something of quality can make one overlook these things. (Singin' In the Rain, anyone?)
It was really hard to get through the numbers in the beginning. It just felt like the cast (which is excellent) and the director weren't very comfortable. About halfway through, during the most colorful sequence in the film, they really hit their stride and the film becomes a joy to watch.
Incredibly, surprisingly violent. So much blood, and to a ridiculous degree.
The "twist" (if you can call it that) is pretty obvious, and by following the set up closely the ending becomes known well before it happens, but it didn't seem like much of a problem here.

I dunno, overall I'd say that I enjoyed it at least.

Interesting. Might be a renter, then.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
Thanks for that Sweeny Todd update. I'm can't wait to see it. I'm a huge Burton/ Depp fan so I'll see anything either of them do. I hope I can get past the musical aspects since I'm not big on musicals either
Singin' In the Rain, anyone?)
with that obvious exception.
 
I'm gonna watch Sweeny Todd in a few days, I watched No country for old Men today.. boy what a waste of time that was.
Anyone see Before the Devil Knows You're Dead?
 

CnC

Ad Oculos
Ramen4ever said:
I watched No country for old Men today.. boy what a waste of time that was.

lol! every fiber of my being wants to disagree with you. But since I haven't seen it I'll have to shut up :troll:
 
Top Bottom