Movies to look forward to

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
If Scott Pilgrim is such an awesome movie for gamers, as I've heard 1,000 times since its release, why do I, a gamer, find the trailer revolting and embarrassing?

You're gonna have to look a little deeper Walter. What did you find so embarrassing about the trailer? Then go from there. It is definitely a movie aimed at gamers. Doesn't mean any given gamer will enjoy the movie.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
You're gonna have to look a little deeper Walter. What did you find so embarrassing about the trailer?
Oh, I don't know. Everything? The faux-anime cinematography and special effects? The whole thing looks ridiculous. It's the epitome of hipster irony. "Oh but it's COOL because it's self-referential and over the top!" That does not make it cool. That makes it embarrassing.

Mindset. You've gotta have the right one when seeing this movie :guts: If the trailer was too much for you then the movie itself would be too much for you to handle as well, as the trailer is probably just (and I'm being generous here) a 1/3 of the craziness found in the movie.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
If the trailer was too much for you then the movie itself would be too much for you to handle, as the trailer is probably just (and I'm being generous here) a 1/3 of the craziness found in the movie.
Yeah, it was too much for me.

[quote author=Comedic moment in hipster movie trailer]
"What are you doing?"
*touches pixelated character displayed on screen, 1up text appears*
"Getting a life."[/quote]
HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUH. :azan: .

Washington Post had this to say: "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is a dog-frequency movie: enjoyable only to those tuned in to its particular register." :badbone:

Oh it gets even crazier than that my friend.

There's a part where he admits his love for the girl and pulls the Sword of Love out of his chest (glows with red fire) and engages in the final battle. Scott gets offed, uses the 1up and redoes the "level" from beginning, saying and doing things slightly different from his first attempt. Instead of admitting his love he says he's fighting for himself and pulls the Sword of Self-Respect out of his chest (glows with purple fire), teams up with his little asian girl side kick (in a similar dance/dance ninja thing I mentioned in my first post) and wins the day and the girl.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
If Scott Pilgrim is such an awesome movie for gamers, as I've heard 1,000 times since its release, why do I, a gamer, find the trailer revolting and embarrassing?

Probably because you're aware enough to recognize and resent when you're being lamely pandered to.

Walter said:
Washington Post had this to say: "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is a dog-frequency movie: enjoyable only to those tuned in to its particular register." :badbone:

Tone deaf?

Sorry for this in advance, but I'm just bitterly tired of being lectured by the no standards crowd on their blissful ignorance. To them I say this, we really do get it, maybe better than you, so allow me to be blunt lest this fact hath escaped you: You like crap! Maybe not exclusively, but you'll take style any day, substance is optional. Fine. If everyone just accepted this, we could save ourselves a lot of fruitless arguments. Leave criticism to the critical, enjoy crap in the silence of your own minds. Nobody's style gets cramped that way. Read more in my upcoming thread, How to Win Friends & Influence Forums. =)

P.S. Judging by the box office returns, looks like The World won. :carcus:

Sounds about right, and I'm really getting tired of being lectured by the no standards crowd on their blissful tastelessness. To them I say this, we really do get it, maybe better than you: you like crap! Not exclusively, but you'll take style any day, substance is optional.

Taste is subjective. One man's trash is another's treasure right :carcus: I think all Uwe Bolle's movies are shit and I haven't seen a single one. Paul Anderson is another shitty director who makes shitty movies while insisting that his movies are great (just like Uwe). I do admit I liked the first Mortal Kombat, but all his other movies, forget it, and the upcoming Castlevania movie is in his hands.....

The thing is Griff, there are movies that are all about being style over substance and aren't trying to hide that. It's viewers that go in and bitch about it being such that clearly didn't get the memo that was delivered to anyone who had seen a trailer for said movie. I can list a few off the top of my head which I won't call good or bad, just style over sustance, and they would be:

-Scott Pilgrim vs the World
-Kick Ass
-Resident Evil (all of them)
-Wanted
-Shoot em Up
-300 (ok this one was awesome)
-Expendables (haven't seen it yet but come on)

I mean look at all of those quick examples. Just from watching all of those trailers, you saw exactly what you got with them. If a person were to sit there and complain about them after seeing the previews before actually going to see the movie, it's like "are you serious?" cause you knew what you were in for and the directors and producers weren't trying to make you believe otherwise.

Back to the current one at hand (Scotty Pilgrim), you've (anyone reading this) seen the trailer. From the trailer you can tell that it'll be an over the top but stupid movie. It was. If you want nothing to do with the movie, then trust me, stay away from it. But if you are looking for something crazy and out there that is dancing with the ridiculous side of things, you'll certainly find it with this movie.

P.S. judging by the box office returns, looks like The World won. :carcus:

Come on, was there any doubt :guts:

(Box office goes to Expendables if you didn't think I caught your sarcasm, which I was referring to)

dwarfkicker said:
On the topic of Expendables, or Rhombaad's view of it, everything that you listed as a negative, how the hell did you expect anything else of the movie. It's straight out of the 80's, and all the action flicks were really no different back then. You should have went in there expecting so-so character development, paper thin plot, and double stacks of cheese for the dialogue, topped off with bullets flying, things blowing up big, and fists smashing into faces with a lot of grunts, groans, and a boatload of one-liners. I feel sorry for you going in and expecting anything more than a movie that was stated from the beginning to be nothing more than a nod to action movies of old.

I'll bet my account that I end up enjoying the movie. Unlike poor Rhombaad (who is fully entitled to his opinion btw), I know what I'm in for before even stepping foot into the theater.

I'm sorry, but if you're expecting a movie that pays homage to the lame 80's action flicks, you're the one that doesn't know what you're in for, and I agree with pretty much everything Rhombaad said (and I had very low expectations to begin with). You're not gonna enjoy this ridiculous movie if you're expecting something that is "straight out of the 80's", because there's nothing that even resembles an 80's action movie in The Expendables. It's not a nod to anything, it's just a piece of crap attempt at making money using every action movie actor in this planet.

dwarfkicker said:
I'll bet my account that I end up enjoying the movie. Unlike poor Rhombaad (who is fully entitled to his opinion btw), I know what I'm in for before even stepping foot into the theater.

I can see poor Rhombaad knows exactly what he's talking about man, so you better hope you like this piece of shit, or your account is gone. :magni:

Griffith

What did I just say I was tired of!? :guts:

dwarfkicker said:
Taste is subjective.

The last refuge of one that can't defend their indefensible positions. What I don't get on your end is what's in this type of argument for you, I know why this is my fight, but your position seems counter intuitive to having the argument itself. You're waging a war for pacifism here.

dwarfkicker said:
The thing is Griff, there are movies that are all about being style over substance and aren't trying to hide that.

What I mean by style vs. substance, particularly substance, is not to necessarily some work of great depth or pretense. Everything should be judged on it's own relative merits and goals, whether it's War & Peace or Cheech & Chong, but within that relative merit, whether the artistic expression is the exploration of some deeply subtle themes or just pure visceral style, it can be done well, it can relevant, it can have real impact, or it can just be a paint by numbers imitation that's going through the motions. I don't think you can tell the difference, or care. So, I don't even know if that should offend you. You might as well think I'm just seeing things that aren't there from your perspective (elves, perhaps =).

dwarfkicker said:
-Kick Ass
-Wanted
-Shoot em Up

This supposed list of authentic and fakes makes my point for me.

Eluvei said:
I'm sorry, but if you're expecting a movie that pays homage to the lame 80's action flicks, you're the one that doesn't know what you're in for, and I agree with pretty much everything Rhombaad said (and I had very low expectations to begin with). You're not gonna enjoy this ridiculous movie if you're expecting something that is "straight out of the 80's", because there's nothing that even resembles an 80's action movie in The Expendables. It's not a nod to anything, it's just a piece of crap attempt at making money using every action movie actor in this planet.

That's a perfect example of the schism I feel with Dwarf; I could tell all of the above just from the trailer. Dwarf, in my estimation, can't tell the difference period, even after seeing the whole movie. See our reviews of Predators, for example.

Eluvei said:
I can see poor Rhombaad knows exactly what he's talking about man, so you better hope you like this piece of shit, or your account is gone. :magni:

Don't be surprised if he triumphantly returns from The Expendables. :ganishka:

Dwarf, you're just ready to like anything, past the point of optimism, it's blind faith. You're staking your account, whatever that means to you, on liking a movie you haven't seen, meaning your self-aware lack of critical standards is literally to the point of bravado! I'm still holding out hope you don't like it, as I always do with you, since that will actually tell me something about the movie, whereas a positive review from you means nothing (for all I know, you positively rate my posts to you =). It's the reverse Proj corollary; if he'd come back saying Predators or Expendables was the goods, that would pique my interest as well.

dwarfkicker said:
-Kick Ass
-Wanted
-Shoot em Up
I haven't seen the first movie on the list, and the last one. Kick-Ass and Shoot Em Up = Fun. The rest = Teh Suck. Wait, add Watchmen to that list or The Spirit :slan: ... but you're right, taste is subjective. I cringe when I see movies like Clash Of The Titans getting sequels because they made money the first time around.

Something I've been looking forward to is the restored and close-to-the-original-version release of Metropolis, on Blu Ray later this year. I pre-ordered the Alien Blu Ray box set due in October, and after reading good things about the quality of Predator (on Blu Ray), I'll pick that up in time.

I urge anyone who's a fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey to pick up the Blu Ray version that's out there with the extra specials. It's so much better. It is THE best Science Fiction movie, for me.

Anyone looking forward to the prequel to Alien? I read somewhere they're planning to make it in 2 (movie) parts.

Dwarf, you're just ready to like anything, past the point of optimism, it's blind faith.

Nah, as I've said there are movies that I look at and I go, "pass" to. I have standards. They're just more lax than your own (and it would seem a lot of others on this board as well).

I don't know here, I'm just easy to please I guess.

Look at Avatar. When I first heard about it I didn't think much of it. When it started to get some serious buzz I started paying attention. A lot of hype surrounded that movie and it turned out great.

Now look at Expendables. Here's a movie with a lot of the veteran action stars of the golden age of action movies combined with some of the new blood of this day and age. A movie that has gotten so much hype for what it is and what it is supposed to be. Naturally I'm going to go check it out.

So maybe it is blind faith. I call it playing Russian Roulette. Sometimes that bullet gets me. But with 5 other empty chambers, more often than not I end up enjoying the movie.

Back to me being easy to please. I can't help it. A movie is an escape to me. If I can get lost in the movie, then I'm entertained. If I'm entertained then it's a movie that I can watch more than once (not in the theater that gets expensive). If I can watch it more than once then I can call it a good movie.

I can watch a movie that's got both feet firmly planted in reality. And I can watch a movie that is so whacked out of my mind out there in how over the top impossible it is. You want to know when I'm taken out of the experience? When a realistic movie has a scene or an element that totally jumps the shark, or when a hyper stylized movie starts to get a little real. Both of which just happening out of nowhere. These don't necessarily ruin the movie and the movie all of a sudden becomes bad.

I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim. But it had it's cringe worthy moments. No movie is without it's flaws. I know I enjoyed Predators, and I'm sure that I had a list of what disappointed me. I know some of my pros people didn't agree with, but again, easy to please.

Maybe on these boards my specific problem is that for the majority of the movie stuff I just come out and say I enjoyed a movie, or a movie was good, without stating any negatives. Something I need to work on. Remember when I used to post spoilers without giving any heads up? I've gotten much better with that :guts:

Griffith

Well, you summed it up in rather magnanimous fashion, you're admittedly easy to please, and I'm admittedly hard to please. :griffnotevil:

:mozgus:

On that note though, I'm not totally pleased with this water-treading resolution either! I still don't think you see the difference. :femto:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
dwarfkicker said:
On the topic of Expendables, or Rhombaad's view of it, everything that you listed as a negative, how the hell did you expect anything else of the movie. It's straight out of the 80's, and all the action flicks were really no different back then. You should have went in there expecting so-so character development, paper thin plot, and double stacks of cheese for the dialogue, topped off with bullets flying, things blowing up big, and fists smashing into faces with a lot of grunts, groans, and a boatload of one-liners. I feel sorry for you going in and expecting anything more than a movie that was stated from the beginning to be nothing more than a nod to action movies of old.

Actually, that's exactly what I expected from it and it didn't deliver. It was a very shitty, forced attempt to make such a thing that failed on almost every level.

dwarfkicker said:
Unlike poor Rhombaad (who is fully entitled to his opinion btw), I know what I'm in for before even stepping foot into the theater.

Go fuck yourself, dwarf. I'm sorry I didn't like a movie you're set on liking (one that you haven't even seen yet). I'm fine with you disagreeing with my opinions, but don't insult me personally. It just makes you look like an asshole.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I read all the Scott Pilgrim comics before I saw the movie. I've been a fan of the silly series way before I heard it was gonna be made into a movie (so that makes me cooler). I gotta say, the movie was actually better than the comic in a whole hell of a lot of ways.

Michael Cera was still Michael Cera-ish. But he pulled off the character nicely, nonetheless. The movie didn't take itself seriously, which was great. I had low expectations for this, but I was super happy with how it turned out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
You're not gonna enjoy this ridiculous movie if you're expecting something that is "straight out of the 80's", because there's nothing that even resembles an 80's action movie in The Expendables. It's not a nod to anything, it's just a piece of crap attempt at making money using every action movie actor in this planet.

Seriously, when a man with a Cobra avatar tells you the latest Stallone flick sucks, you know it really does fucking suck. :ganishka:

Griffith

Gobolatula said:
I read all the Scott Pilgrim comics before I saw the movie. I've been a fan of the silly series way before I heard it was gonna be made into a movie (so that makes me cooler). I gotta say, the movie was actually better than the comic in a whole hell of a lot of ways.

Michael Cera was still Michael Cera-ish. But he pulled off the character nicely, nonetheless. The movie didn't take itself seriously, which was great. I had low expectations for this, but I was super happy with how it turned out.

I can actually see myself enjoying this movie under the right circumstances, but it's not anything I care to see (a rarity these days, anyway).

Aazealh said:
Seriously, when a man with a Cobra avatar tells you the latest Stallone flick sucks, you know it really does fucking suck. :ganishka:

Co-sign.

BTW, with all this talk of seeing it in theaters vs renting, everyone be sure to find the local $3 theater in your area. Perfect compromise of time, money, and the big screen experience.

Aazealh said:
Hahaha!

My boss, who doesn't usually go out to the theaters for anything unless it's for his kids, watched The Expendables over the weekend and said it was action from beginning to end. I honestly don't trust his judgment for sure, and after the posts on here, I'll wait for it to come out on DVD.

I think I'm one of those guys who wouldn't necessarily go for a movie unless (i) it's a theater enjoying movie experience, or (ii) a friend of mine is excited about it and wants to go watch it, or (iii) it really interest me. I'd rather drop $12.something (movie ticket) + whatever your eating/ drinking bill comes to on Manga.

Love And Other Drugs looks interesting ^_~ ... trailer's here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO0X4DQZKqk

Go fuck yourself, dwarf. I'm sorry I didn't like a movie you're set on liking (one that you haven't even seen yet). I'm fine with you disagreeing with my opinions, but don't insult me personally. It just makes you look like an asshole.

Yeah, you're right. I was out of the line in the way I went after your post. My apologies for being a douche bag with my post.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
dwarfkicker said:
Yeah, you're right. I was out of the line in the way I went after your post. My apologies for being a douche bag with my post.

No worries man, it happens. I've done it a few times myself. Apology accepted. :serpico:

So, I just got back from seeing Scott Pilgrim.

I don't know what to say to get any of you to watch this film. If you don't see it in theaters, and please at least see it on DVD.

The movie, and I'm not going to lie, is awesome. Its great. It has a style that is hard to write about. It has comic book elements, more so a manga feel. The style is has a lot of anime cliche traits, but in the movie they are entertaining and acceptable. The movie is self aware of what it is. It can't be taken seriously because there are consistent things that happen that aren't possible. So don't expect to that this movie follows physics. Its the lack of physics that bring in the anime feel. The movie has great acting. The action, and there is a lot it, is WAY WAY above what I was expecting. The premise is cute and stays true to itself. If you don't like premise/theme, that will be the hardest thing to put aside. The movie looks great and I recommend it. I'm a fan of the director, but I went into this film thinking I was going to hate it. I learned to just loosen up, and give it chance, and no question about it the movie delivered. 9/10 (Oh its pretty damn funny, video game shout out aside.)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
So, I just got back from seeing Scott Pilgram. [...] The movie, and I'm not going to lie, is awesome.

It looks like it made a really strong impression on you, one you'll never be able to forget.

Griffith

:ganishka:

Death May Die said:
9/10 (Oh its pretty damn funny, video game shout out aside.)

See, and here's where you lost me, flip that 9 upside down and I'd be more receptive. People just seem to run amok on the 10 scale, like Dwarf's aforementioned 8.5 for Predators and now a 9 for Scott Pilgrim. This is like when guys think every girl they'd fuck is an 8, even if she's really a super cute 6. Leave a little room at the top to rate the all-time greats, there's no shame in being a 7.

Top Bottom