Movies to look forward to

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just got back from seeing Star Trek and all I have to say is that it rocked. The new cast does a great job and while the story may have been relatively simple, it's the old, familiar characters that drive the movie. Now the only thing left to do is see it at the local IMAX. :guts:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Same here. Though I barely follow the saga nor any other related Star Trek series, I can say it was enjoyable. Plot wise, it's what's to be expected really. Nothing epic nor deep plots, There's quite a few surprises for the fans IF it hasn't been spoiled before. But judging by some fan reactions, I'd say it is good for both fans or non-fans to enjoy.

Hey, I disliked Wolverine like everyone else and really like Star Trek. I'm a really big movie nerd. If you like Protector and Ong Bak you will probably like Merantau! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtkLFm3QrmA make sure to watch in HD!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just got back from Star Trek. I don't know anything about Star Trek so it was all new to me, though I really enjoyed it. I didn't like the bad guys or the whole time traveling aspect of the story, but the movie was entertaining. The cast was great and action scenes and special effects were spectacular throughout. Also Spock was an amazing character and i loved the debates between him and Kirk.

O yea and my girl Winona was the icing on the cake, she was spectacular :troll:

as somebody with relatively no background in the star trek universe, heres what i thought... That movie was gay-er than george takei in a rupaul and richard simmon sandwich... However, Sylar was a good spock and
a red shirt died
, otherwise the movie was nothing but "hey you know this guy" and "hey you remember this catch phrase" mixed in with lens flares that made it hard to see straight coupled with plot holes deeper than
red koolaid powered blackholes
... The only excuse for the villians ridiculous actions were either complete ignorance or total stupidity...
being thrust back 25 years before your planets destruction with weaponry beyond the understanding of your current time slot affords you so many diabolical opportunities... instead they sat around waiting for their scapegoat?
... i probably only feel this way because people built it up so much... after all it was quite true to tv and perhaps that is why it truly sucked... I suppose sitting in a theater with no ac didn't help either...

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea the story seemed like it was filled with plot holes. I never think it's a good idea to overcomplicate a movie with time traveling, especially when the film has enough background material for so many other possible storylines.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Von Trier's Antichrist is getting some really bad reviews at Cannes. I was skeptical after watching the trailer, which looked crappy, but i wasn't expecting this:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/05/von-triers-antichrist-ripped-by-critics

Some quotes:
Said Roger Ebert, “Von Trier is not so much making a film about violence as making a film to inflict violence upon us… This is the most despairing film I’ve ever have seen.” Jeff Wells called it “a fartbomb,”

Declaring himself “the world’s greatest director,” 53-year-old Dane Lars von Trier defended his enfant terrible title with aplomb. It started with a shouting match between Daily Mail columnist Baz Bamigboye and other members of the press corps, with Bamigboye demanding von Trier “explain and justify” the explicit sexual gore in his film and another journo in the audience yelling “He’s an artist, you’re not. He doesn’t have to explain anything!”

“I don’t have to explain anything. You are all my guests here, not the other way round,” von Trier said. “Anyway, I don’t think about the audience when I make a film. I don’t care. I make films for myself.”

Von Trier did defend his use of nausea-inducing imagery — including a bloody masturbation scene and a leg-drilling sequence that could have been cribbed from the “Saw” franchise — as artistic “honesty,” saying to leave the shockers out would have been “like lying.”

He also insisted he was not playing a joke on the audience but meant everything, from the film’s talking fox to the closing dedication to Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky, a dedication that drew howls of laughter at last night’s press screening, to be taken seriously. [via Hollywood Reporter]

I think Von Trier finally lost his head up ass.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
From noncommercial arthouse schlock back to commercial Hollywood junk food...

Oburi said:
I never think it's a good idea to overcomplicate a movie with time traveling

That was actually the most clever and best thing about it.

Anyway, I though it was alright and enjoyed it. Though, I'm like the only person I know that's familiar with Star Trek that's seen the movie, and I think that sums up what's wrong with it. Though tries for the spirit of Star Trek, it ended up more like Star Wars, and it's really built to serve the general movie going public, rather than what made Star Trek great in the first place. So, everyone that ran out to see it over the hype, even though you never had any interest in Star Trek before, you can blame yourselves for the movie's shortcomings. =)

NightCrawler said:
Von Trier's Antichrist is getting some really bad reviews at Cannes. I was skeptical after watching the trailer, which looked crappy, but i wasn't expecting this:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/05/von-triers-antichrist-ripped-by-critics

Some quotes:
I think Von Trier finally lost his head up ass.
Perhaps they're right, perhaps it is terrible. But I have certain difficulty giving credit to criticism that compares a film to an explosion of flatulence.
Forgive me, maybe that's just a failing of mine.

Regardless, due to my breathless and repeated viewing of the fArty little trailer, and given the intensity of hatred toward the film, it's now become absolutely compulsory that I watch it.

Don't ask me to explain, I don't feel I need to. ;)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The Perineum Falcon said:
Regardless, due to my breathless and repeated viewing of the fArty little trailer, and given the intensity of hatred toward the film, it's now become absolutely compulsory that I watch it.

Same here, it just makes me want to see it more. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Im seeing Star Trek with my wife tonight. I have little to no expectations about the movie. Will post a mini review here.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Well, Im seeing Star Trek with my wife tonight. I have little to no expectations about the movie. Will post a mini review here.

Hope you enjoy it, Wally. :serpico:

Griffith

You kind of went out of your way already, really. =)

Anyway, I actually found "fartbomb" to be a much more impressive statement about the film than the trailer. Not that the movie looked bad, just that, yeah, you don't hear someone seriously call a movie a "fartbomb" everyday. As a matter of fact, it might have trouble living up to that label, for better or worse. It's certainly intriguing now though.

Speaking of which, more from the article Nightcrawler posted, it wasn't even the only farty comment!

he wasn’t the only one comparing it to a fart in the first line of his review. Some reviewers liked it, but most of their praise was along the lines of “I think I liked it,” which in movie critic parlance roughly translates to, “It really tapped into my pretentiousness and self-hate!”

:ganishka:

Walter said:

Like Rhomby said, hope you have a good time. I hope the Vulcan masturbation blood ritual scene doesn't throw you off.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless

I wanna see it badly too. I've read Ebert's full review and it doesn't sound that bad, just immensely violent, gory and evil. But unlike you, i found the trailer really bland and generic.

It seems that Cannes, this year, is prolific in controversial movies. Check out the impact that "Kinatay" is making ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I was entertained.

Rhombaad said:
I really wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but for now I'll just leave it here. Guy Ritchie's (peculiar) take on Sherlock Holmes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/14258109/sherlock_holmes_2009/videos/sherlock_holmes_trl1_051909.html
To quote the trailer, "What have you done...?"

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
Haha, I imagine that will be most people's reactions (at least those familiar with the original works).

It's eXtreme SherloX! :badbone:

I do appreciate the younger Watson though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
No kidding. Since when did he go around dispensing criminals in hand to hand combat and using firearms?

Director: Guy Ritchie

Anyway, it looks fun but I have a really hard time accepting Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes. And it's not just the actor himself, but the fact the character just goofs around in the trailer. I guess the goal is to help uncultured youngsters discover the character?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I guess the goal is to help uncultured youngsters discover the character?
Yeah but in that sense, this is hardly Sherlock Holmes anymore after all these changes. It's like Tito's Berserk game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Yeah but in that sense, this is hardly Sherlock Holmes anymore after all these changes. It's like Tito's Berserk game.

Come on now, don't be mean to Guy Ritchie. =)

Top Bottom