Movies to look forward to

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Oh cool it's Sin City with Mexicans.

There isn't anything special about this movie other than it's another Grind house movie that is taking happens to be taking place during Arizona's Immigration bills [depending on the person are either awful or no big deal]. The cast looks mediocre, just like it's action sequences. This movie isn't something to dread, but it's not going to be worth looking forward too.

I would like to see it, I like that campy feel Rodriguez has with his filmmaking approach. (Not exactly compatible with what I think when Predictor comes to mind.) :schierke:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Oh cool it's Sin City with Mexicans.

There isn't anything special about this movie other than it's another Grind house movie that is taking happens to be taking place during Arizona's Immigration bills [depending on the person are either awful or no big deal]. The cast looks mediocre, just like it's action sequences. This movie isn't something to dread, but it's not going to be worth looking forward too.

Speak for yourself man. The cast is great. I know I'm deff looking forward to another grindhouse flick. This summer is going to be great with all these manly testosterone movies coming out. :guts:

Oburi said:
Speak for yourself man. The cast is great. I know I'm deff looking forward to another grindhouse flick. This summer is going to be great with all these manly testosterone movies coming out. :guts:

Yea, I mean some of these are just kinda too absurd to be true.

Testosterone summer movies?

Losers, Robin Hood, Prince of Persia, MacGruber, Expendables, The A-Team, Jonah Hex, Knight and Day, to name a few. Not that I'm looking forward to all of these but you're right, just about a new action movie hit theaters every weekend till the last of August.

I'm looking forward to it because I can't recall Danny Trejo ever being a main character and am curious. I like seeing different sides to actors and I feel he has a lot to offer as a main character for a change instead of the typical backdrop criminal or convict. In all the movies I've seen of him he steals the scene with just his appearance and works well with others.

Death May Die said:
Losers, Robin Hood, Prince of Persia, MacGruber, Expendables, The A-Team, Jonah Hex, Knight and Day, to name a few. Not that I'm looking forward to all of these but you're right, just about a new action movie hit theaters every weekend till the last of August.

Ya, the only good ones will be Expendables and possibly A-team.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Nice cast, but I liked the original trailer better.

Agreed, it's looking a lot more like a regular made for DVD movie than the pitch-perfect "grindhouse" pastiche of the original. Also, like with most of these unlikely ensemble casts, the grade of the star is usually inverse to the level of performance they give (let's all say, "D for Dinero"). That said, I expect it to be fun, I'm just not raising my expectations beyond that because it could also just be an awkward extension of a bit more effective in 2 minutes than 90. Though, if you're already a fanboy, I'm sure it'll be brilliant pop art regardless. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The cast looks mediocre

Nah, I wouldn't say that. It's more a matter of writing, directing and editing to me.

グリフィス said:
Agreed, it's looking a lot more like a regular made for DVD movie than the pitch-perfect "grindhouse" pastiche of the original.

Yeah, I get the feeling that by wanting to be too over-the-top the original chemistry was lost, and "pointless" cameos from famous actors aren't helping when they start distracting from the movie. I understand VHB's feelings to the extent that the movie could have felt like true exploitation as it was (while remaining fun to see), without all the hamfisted "THE BORDER CROSSED US" stuff tacked on.

Of course it's too early to judge, but my initial reaction to the new trailer was that the movie would have been vastly superior had it stayed a cheesy macho man action flick.

X

Xem

Saw Iron Man 2 at the midnight showing and enjoyed it. The acting was the selling point to me, it was all done well. Sam Jackson was my worry, but I've learned that there's a reason they modeled Ultimate Nick Fury after him... he doesn't need to act to play the role. He is Nick Fury.

Main crits: The plot pacing seemed a bit weird to me, but it wasn't too bad. Also, a little too much cheese for my taste. 'Specially with Scarlet Johansen's character. Lastly... not sure how to put this... too much Favreau?

Anyway, one of the trailers shown before the movie was for this Abrams directed and Spielberg produced called Super 8. It was another one of Abrams teaser trailers that simply makes you say "WTF?". Anyone heard anything about this?

The trailer for Super 8 looks like "Cloverfield 2: It's Not the Size But How You Use It"

I can't say that it really did anything for me.

X

Xem

Hahaha, so yeah this Super 8 shit is just as I suspected. One of the viral websites, http://www.scariestthingieversaw.com/ will take you to a website where you have to answer questions. But, instead of answering them, if you just move the window it opens you see an option to print all pages. When you click that you get a message printed out of your computer that gives absolutely no hint about anything!

Here's a website explaining it better, and might also include more if you care:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Super-8-Viral-Site-Secrets-18513.html

Oburi

All praise Grail
redsonjaposter.jpg
redsonjateaserahr2.jpg

Obviously behind schedule, but it's deff being made.
Yes no maybe?

Also I watched the new Nightmare on Elm Street movie which was terrible (duh).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
So, which thread does Iron Man 2 belong in, for those that have seen it?

Definitely in this thread. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one just as much, if not more. I thought it was superior to the first film because it improved on what the original lacked: a compelling villain. Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff Bridges, but the third act of Iron Man was the most disappointing part of the original movie for me. I loved Whiplash and the final showdown with him. It's a really great popcorn flick with terrific acting, sharp dialogue and a lot of humor. Oh, and robotic suits blowing stuff up. :guts:

X

Xem

Rhombaad said:
Definitely in this thread. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one just as much, if not more. I thought it was superior to the first film because it improved on what the original lacked: a compelling villain. Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff Bridges, but the third act of Iron Man was the most disappointing part of the original movie for me. I loved Whiplash and the final showdown with him. It's a really great popcorn flick with terrific acting, sharp dialogue and a lot of humor. Oh, and robotic suits blowing stuff up. :guts:

See, I was one of the rare people who actually enjoyed the last act of the first Iron Man. Though definitely a popcorn flick, I thought the entire movie was a success. Iron Man 2, while also a very good movie, had a few more obvious flaws.
What did you think about the scene where Don Cheadle puts on the unpainted Iron Man suit and fights Downey Jr. while he was hammered?
That scene in particular, even though a very important plot device, seemed a bit awkward and out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the film, but I wouldn't say it's possibly better than the first... unless of course you just want to see cooler explosions and interesting Easter Eggs (read: Avengers) content. For example
while I found him using Captain America's shield as a prop cool, I didn't think it was "OMG HOLY SHIT" cool, yet the theater went absolutely nuts over it.
That may have been because I saw the midnight showing of it on opening night though. Lotsa super fanboy nerdgasms going on all around me.

Iron Man 2 was very satisfying. A very good sequel, and this is coming from a person that wasn't much of a Iron Man fan to begin with. Great cast, good action, worth seeing in theaters.

I think Inception going to be my movie this summer. Leo or Nolan, has yet to fail me. I loved Shutter Island and I'm a huge fan of The Prestige. So, Inception seems to made for me.

Death May Die said:
Iron Man 2 was very satisfying. A very good sequel, and this is coming from a person that wasn't much of a Iron Man fan to begin with. Great cast, good action, worth seeing in theaters.

Got around to seeing it yesterday. It was fun. There was alot going on, which people complained about but I found to be more than manageable. What annoyed me was the final confrontation with Whiplash. Lots of build up for very little action, Whiplash action specifically. It was like the first film with Iron Monger only less "Wow" inducing.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Deci said:
What did you think about the scene where Don Cheadle puts on the unpainted Iron Man suit and fights Downey Jr. while he was hammered?
That scene in particular, even though a very important plot device, seemed a bit awkward and out of place.

I actually really liked that scene. It made me feel uncomfortable and I was pretty disappointed and a bit disturbed at what Tony was becoming.

Deci said:
Don't get me wrong, I loved the film, but I wouldn't say it's possibly better than the first... unless of course you just want to see cooler explosions and interesting Easter Eggs (read: Avengers) content. For example
while I found him using Captain America's shield as a prop cool, I didn't think it was "OMG HOLY SHIT" cool, yet the theater went absolutely nuts over it.
That may have been because I saw the midnight showing of it on opening night though. Lotsa super fanboy nerdgasms going on all around me.

The Avengers have never really interested me. While I think it's cool that they're trying to tie all these separate films together into an Avengers film, I'm more interested in Iron Man than any of the other characters.
I thought him crushing Captain America's old shield in order to balance his invention was hilarious. I wasn't nerding out at the prospect that it was the shield, I just thought it was funny how he completely disrespected it.

Proj2501 said:
What annoyed me was the final confrontation with Whiplash. Lots of build up for very little action, Whiplash action specifically. It was like the first film with Iron Monger only less "Wow" inducing.

I've always been a fan of quick and brutal fights, mainly because that's how fights really are. However, I could have done with another minute or two of Whiplash action, as well. :guts:

Oburi said:

Well I hope it stays in this thread upon its release. I don't know why they put Rose McGowan as Red Sonja, she is way too short. The first Red Sonja was played by Bridgette Nielsen who was 6 feet. Rose McGowan is only 5'4. I just hope that the rumors of Megan Fox being in this movie are not true.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Rhombaad said:
I actually really liked that scene. It made me feel uncomfortable and I was pretty disappointed and a bit disturbed at what Tony was becoming.
I agree, this scene was one of my favorites. Finally got to see it tonight with the family! Man! I was blown away, and enjoyed it more than the first film. I think the villain was so unique and his fleshed out story made him interesting. I even felt sympathetic toward him. And the music in this scene was just...way too cool.

I think they presented the "fall and rise" of Tony very well. I actually felt bad that his slowly rising toxicity levels were making him desperate. If Iron man is sad, I am sad. : (

Hope you guys watched after the credits.

Teaser: Romain Gravras' Feature Debut 'Our Day Will Come'
via: The Playlist

notrejourviendra_affiche.jpg

Romain Gavras exploded into the spotlight recently with his brutal video for M.I.A.'s "Born Free." The video, a vicious criticism of modern-day government and society, showed that Romain was more than just the son of an intelligent director (Costa-Gavras, "Z"). Romain showed some directing chops, and it was only a matter of time before more information on his feature project "Our Day Will Come" trickled out.

The film, produced and starring Vincent Cassel ("Eastern Promises") along with Olivier Barthelemy ("Sheitan"), follows a red-haired teen (Barthelemy) who leaves for Ireland after taking too much abuse from peers and family. The official synopsis is as follows:

What do you do when you're a red-haired teenage loser with no friends except for an older guy, your shrink? When everyone hates you, especially your family? When all your peers make fun of you and kick you around? The answer: you and your loser buddy blow all the cash you can get your hands on to buy a sportscar, you dress smart and you head for the land of redheads, Ireland. But what starts off as a search for an ideal, gradually escalates into a rampage of hate, violence and self-destruction.

We're not really sure what fascinates Romain so much about red heads, but the teaser looks pretty incredible and we'd be lying if we said we weren't looking forward to this one. Cassel's usually very strong in his roles, and a brief look at Barthelemy's resume shows that the duo have worked on two different projects together, so it's clear that Cassel saw something he liked in Barthelemy and decided to work with him again. The teaser doesn't showcase much of the plot (you can see the sportscar racing down the highway, but...) but does manage to showcase some brilliant shots and set a tense tone.

We might have to wait a while for this one; the only country with a scheduled release is France, in September of this year. Though no deals are in place for distribution, it should have no problem getting picked up assuming it's not a total disaster, which is unlikely. Check out the teaser below and poster above, thanks to TwitchFilm.

Trailer

I really hope the visceral intesity of Romain Gavras's music videos are indicative of what to expect here. I love the poster and the trailer, and all things point to the positive.

Looks like Aazy or any of our other franco-amis will have to give us the "thumbs" on this one, since, as the article said, who knows when it'll be released outside of its pays natal?

Oburi

All praise Grail
I saw Prince Of Persia tonight :guts: I must admit I really enjoyed it and I really wasn't expecting too. Despite some minor plot holes in the story and being really predictable it had many qualities that modern high budget hollywood films lack these days. One of my favorite things was how little cgi seemed to be used. I'm sure there was more cgi than I even noticed, but that is whats good, it didn't stand out. It was only used when necessary, and that was only at a few key moments. The performances were good too. I had no problems Jake Gyllenhaal, and his female counterpart was equally as good. And I didn't expect to see Sir Ben Kingsley or Alfred Molina in this (i didn't do any reading prior to seeing it), so that was a pleasant surprise. Also the ending wasn't as corny as I thought it was going to be, and I thought the characters were more appealing than the Pirate movies (except Capt. Jack, of course). Preeeeetty good.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
I saw Prince Of Persia tonight :guts: I must admit I really enjoyed it and I really wasn't expecting too. Despite some minor plot holes in the story and being really predictable it had many qualities that modern high budget hollywood films lack these days. One of my favorite things was how little cgi seemed to be used. I'm sure there was more cgi than I even noticed, but that is whats good, it didn't stand out. It was only used when necessary, and that was only at a few key moments. The performances were good too. I had no problems Jake Gyllenhaal, and his female counterpart was equally as good. And I didn't expect to see Sir Ben Kingsley or Alfred Molina in this (i didn't do any reading prior to seeing it), so that was a pleasant surprise. Also the ending wasn't as corny as I thought it was going to be, and I thought the characters were more appealing than the Pirate movies (except Capt. Jack, of course). Preeeeetty good.

The dialogue in the trailers was an instant turn off for me. Otherwise, I'd probably give it a chance, since it looks like a good popcorn flick.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea it is a good popcorn flick. But your right the dialog was a little dumb at points. The actors did a good job with some bad writing. At one point a character made a joke about having these races on sundays and Thursdays or something. The way he said it was so not right for that time, it was too modern of a joke.

I don't know if this has been posted yet and I know this forum is on the fence with Gantz overall. Personally, I enjoy the series and think that this looks like it could be one of those few good films to find it's way out of Japan
http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/05/first-footage-for-live-action-gantz.php

Top Bottom