Movies to look forward to

Just saw this

http://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1109303p1.html

I think with all of this support is more likely to be a good movie, I think Guillermo del Toro will do the film good, if it actually ever officially goes into production. I can agree that the 3D trend is getting kinda unnecessary, but it seems to sell films. If there is one person I trust with 3D it would be Cameron. Maybe his involvement will set the film apart from other 3D titles. I still think the new 3D is very affective if used right. But in so many films following Avatar, 3D wasn't very necessary, nor added greatly to the film experience. Sadly, the more films that attach 3D, the less 3D will be spectacular when presented in a worthy film.

I only wish that one day Lovecraft will get a film that can capture the true potential/scope of his greatest stories.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I want to be hopeful, but honestly there's a lot that could go wrong with that movie. Lovecraft's vision isn't the easiest to adapt. As for 3D, I just don't care much. It didn't impress me in Avatar, so I don't expect it to impress me in another movie anytime soon.

Aazealh said:
As for 3D, I just don't care much. It didn't impress me in Avatar, so I don't expect it to impress me in another movie anytime soon.

Uhhh, dude.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68354

26-molaram.jpg

"You will become...a true believer."

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Proj2501 said:
Uhhh, dude.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68354

26-molaram.jpg

"You will become...a true believer."
I think that goes in the 'Movies to dread' section :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:
Or does it? ;)

Maaaaybe. After all, it might be as good as Dinner for Schmucks or Due Date.

P.S. BTW, I read Dinner for Schmucks is a remake of a popular French comedy... who knew?

Radzeke

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
Griffith said:
Maaaaybe. After all, it might be as good as Dinner for Schmucks or Due Date.

[size=20pt][glow=black,2,300]MORE LIEK DUDE DATE LOL AMIRITE!!!? :SK::

Griffith said:
P.S. BTW, I read Dinner for Schmucks is a remake of a popular French comedy... who knew?

[size=20pt][glow=black,2,300]I HERE YUOR BASED ON POPULAR FRENCH FAGGOTRY... POPULAR IN YOUR ASS!!!! :SK:

SO ANYONE ELSE GONNA SEA TEH FUCKIN SMURFS!!? :SK:

Truder

I want to see Jackass 3D :ubik:
I loved watching the show with my friends years ago, and we would try their stunts at home :troll:
I watched Jackass 1 & 2 in theaters. good times

Oburi

All praise Grail
Truder said:
I want to see Jackass 3D :ubik:
I loved watching the show with my friends years ago, and we would try their stunts at home :troll:
I watched Jackass 1 & 2 in theaters. good times

Same here. Though I really don't know how good it'll be considering what happened to some of those guys. Like Steve-O for instance, and I heard Knoxville permanently fucked up his leg.

Truder

Oburi said:
Same here. Though I really don't know how good it'll be considering what happened to some of those guys. Like Steve-O for instance, and I heard Knoxville permanently fucked up his leg.
yeah, a bunch of them look like softies now (Bam, Steve-o), but they are still the original crew. and i cant get enough of their antics.
Knoxville's leg is messed up? i thought it was his pee-pee that got broken.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Truder said:
yeah, a bunch of them look like softies now (Bam, Steve-o), but they are still the original crew. and i cant get enough of their antics.
Knoxville's leg is messed up? i thought it was his pee-pee that got broken.

Maybe, I thought I heard something about his leg though. Btw, Bam was always a bitch. I hate that douche.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Adam McKay movie, The Other Guys, with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. I've heard it's pretty funny, so I might check it out this weekend. Either that or I might end up seeing Inception at the local IMAX.

Rhombaad said:
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Adam McKay movie, The Other Guys, with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. I've heard it's pretty funny, so I might check it out this weekend. Either that or I might end up seeing Inception at the local IMAX.

Both of which are awesome!

I'm surprised nobody's seen The Expendables yet. I was going to see it opening night but things got in the way. My fiance wants to see Scott Pilgrim so we're going to see that today.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
I'm surprised nobody's seen The Expendables yet. I was going to see it opening night but things got in the way.

Didn't even know it was out yet. If anyone's seen it or plans to I'm interested to hear feedback.

I'll be watching it sometime this week after work, with a friend and his mom. So far, it's at 42% at RT (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_expendables/) and I don't see that changing drastically. It's prolly like The A-Team, fun to watch, but you can't take it seriously or watch it a second time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I'll be watching it sometime this week after work, with a friend and his mom. So far, it's at 42% at RT (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_expendables/) and I don't see that changing drastically. It's prolly like The A-Team, fun to watch, but you can't take it seriously or watch it a second time.

Hmmm, well the new Rambo's score is even lower (36%) and I enjoyed it what for it was back then, so while this is pretty discouraging the movie might still be worth 2 hours of my time (not going to see it in the theater in any case). Still, with all that talent it's too bad Stallone couldn't do something better. Even the trailer is lackluster.

Hmmm, you're right. I enjoyed Rambo too just for the realism when those body parts went flying here n about. Story-wise, it disappointed, but the action/ gore was entertaining. Maybe The Expendables is in the same vein, and I think Stallone was quoted saying that he already has ideas for a sequel. Maybe we'll see other stars from the 80's or early 90's that weren't used in the first one, like Jean Claude VD.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Maybe we'll see other stars from the 80's or early 90's that weren't used in the first one, like Jean Claude VD.
JCVD was approached by Stallone to be in The Expendables, but he couldn't wrestle a larger role for himself out of Stallone's iron fist, so he turned it down.

I'll be seeing this soon, and low ratings won't slow me down.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I saw The Expendables on Friday and I have to say it was pretty terrible. I was expecting so bad it's good, but it was just plain awful. There were a couple moments that were thoroughly enjoyable and Mickey Rourke's scenes were well acted, but other than that it was crap. Definitely should've seen Inception at the local IMAX instead.

The plot was just plain awful. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare or anything, but overthrowing a dictator, which changed into going back to rescue a girl who wasn't in the movie long enough for me to get attached to was just plain stupid. The acting was really, really bad, too. Again, I knew going in it would be cheesey, but it felt like Stallone tried to write cheese intentionally and it ended up coming out forced. Also, poor Jet Li. He wasn't given any decent fight scenes (those went to Statham) and his dialogue was embarrassing. They should have had him speak his native Chinese and put subtitles up and have everyone else understand him and speak in English, Ocean's 11 style. Now that would've been entertaining.

As for the action, there were a few stand out scenes, but most of it was redundant and rather boring. The fight scene at the end was really tough to follow at points, although I may just have been tired/bored as everything wrapped up. Whoever thought it was a good idea to stage a fight at night with CG fire "lighting" the sets and have all the good guys dressed in the same black uniforms was clearly out of their mind. That and the editing made it hard to get a good idea of what was happening, although it was nowhere near as frantic as the Bourne sequels or Quantum of Solace.

I recommend renting this one as I wouldn't spend more than three or four bucks on it if I had to do it over. Pretty disappointing, as I was looking forward to this flick for quite some time.

Scott Pilgrim is definitely a movie for gamers with all the nods to Mario, Zelda, and even Street Fighter. I believe Pac Man comes up at least 2 or three times, and we see a new game that is a different take on the whole Dance/Dance arcades, except instead of dancers, it's ninjas fighting ninjas. As for the movie itself it was over the top and crazy, as well as wildly stupid. I found myself cringing at some of Michael Cera's moments. Buuuuuut I enjoyed it. It was different, stylized, and I was entertained by it.

With the way some of you guys are with movies, I can honestly see this movie getting a lot of hate. It's a movie not to be taken seriously. Just mindless fun. It's not going to change the world, nor is it going to be some life altering experience to view it. It's just stupid fun. If you can't bother with over the top craziness, don't waste your money. But if you're looking for something different and out of the norm, it's worth checking out.

On the topic of Expendables, or Rhombaad's view of it, everything that you listed as a negative, how the hell did you expect anything else of the movie. It's straight out of the 80's, and all the action flicks were really no different back then. You should have went in there expecting so-so character development, paper thin plot, and double stacks of cheese for the dialogue, topped off with bullets flying, things blowing up big, and fists smashing into faces with a lot of grunts, groans, and a boatload of one-liners. I feel sorry for you going in and expecting anything more than a movie that was stated from the beginning to be nothing more than a nod to action movies of old.

I'll bet my account that I end up enjoying the movie. Unlike poor Rhombaad (who is fully entitled to his opinion btw), I know what I'm in for before even stepping foot into the theater.

Top Bottom