Movies to ???

FUCKIN' AY! :guts: Been looking forward to this ever since the first one. I´ll admit it, Im a hopeless Spidey fanboy and imo this is the best interpretation of the franchise by far.

Not enough slo-mo

See, this is the thing, if major use of slo-mo would be justified anywhere, it´d be in the ideal Spider-man flick, the action/fight scenes are truly suppose to exceed the eye´s comprehension due to the extreme speed. Im also usually very sensetive to slo-mo, but I got a feeling its done right here and actually serves a purpose.

EDIT: Okay so I re-watched it today, wasnt fully sober last night... Anyway I was mostly refering to the Electro fight, the other slo-mos actually did look a bit unnecessary, I´ll have to wait and decide til I´ve seen it but Im soooo hoping they wont F it up...

Deci

IncantatioN said:
I was being sarcastic. Slow motion scenes in general or like the ones we saw in the trailer don't do anything for me. I'm guessing there will be more through the movie.

I was aware, if you watched the first movie you noticed they used it sparingly and exclusively for fast-moving action scenes.

Deci

Sorry for double-post, but some news was released today expanding on my previous statement about the Sinister Six, which appears to be obviously the route taken.

Behold, Spider-Man Cinematic Universe! o_O :schnoz:

Venom and Sinister Six to receive spin-offs

Venom has been talked about for a while now, so not such a big surprise, and as I said previously the packing out of villains in a Spider-Man movie isn't necessarily a bad idea if you're into the mythos and try to forget about Spider-Man 3.

However, it took me a good moment to figure out what exactly could be the angle with packing out a movie with villains as the possible main characters. Doesn't seem like it makes much sense at all and very likely disastrous.

My theory goes with Sony aiming for their own Avengers here, and once I thought about it that way I think it's probably what they're going to do, if it really is happening as a specifically Sinister Six movie. You know, greater threat to the world type-ish thing going on. It's definitely.... a different concept, I'll give it that. With Venom being really a more anti-hero than a villain it's just fine imo, though even that's taking certain risks that go without saying. Just for fun though, who is left for Spider-Man to quarrel with? :serpico: Seriously though... clone time, guys?

Related, but the article also mentions FOX attempting to marry the Fantastic Four with the X-Men..... I actually used to read a fair bit of X-Men and no where once outside of huge universe combining events have the collaborated, and then it's usually just for the main fight. I think Reed and Sue Richards son is a mutant though, so I guess? We can bet with it being FOX it will be awful though.

Deci said:
Just for fun though, who is left for Spider-Man to quarrel with?

They´re setting the bar pretty high with multiple villians and all, so Im guessing anymore sequels wont do with just one. Which indirectly makes it slightly harder to incorporate them all and their "backgrounds" all in harmony with eachother and the plot. Feels like theres so much Spidey villians to choose from but honestly Im kinda drawing a blank atm, or just remembering the ones too silly for a live action movie.

I think they had a really good thing going with Smythe´s nano-tech warfare vs Connor´s catastrophic mutation mess -story from the video game which is supposed to take place after the first movie, so I initially took for granted they were gonna go with somthing similar to that in the second movie. But I hope they can keep an open mind towards that story in the third.

I guess a decent Kraven would be entirely possible, obviously there´d need to be some minor changes to his character´s features to fit live action better though (pretty much like every other film-developed villian now that I think about it...)

(Venom and )Carnage... This one would be hard since it would probably be R-rated, idk, perhaps you could get away with it somehow.

Then there´re those who´d probably do better as part of an affiliation like sinister six or something cause of their uuh, entertainment-limited powers...kinda.

Like Chameleon, Mysterio, Shocker. And Scorpion would be cool too, but may risk being a bit too similar to Lizard.

Doc Ock (yeah his already been in the previous movie-version and even though he was probably the thing I liked most about that universe I think they could still make another cool version, and probably best as a part/leader of sinister six or just not the only villan in the movie)

My biggest wish though would be for them to develop some version of a six arm saga and/or even the further mutation stages, its an awesome idea for making Parker himself a bit more dynamic.

EDIT: I just checked IMDB and apparently the fourth movie´s gonna have Doc Ock as the main villian and then four more, Sinister Five? Anyway its weird cause additionally they´ve posted information about it which I´d consider the biggest kind of spoiler. AND its not coming out till 2018.

EDIT2: I just realized Im a little off-topic, so you guys can move my post if you deem it necessary.

Deci

Hanma_Baki said:
Doc Ock (yeah his already been in the previous movie-version and even though he was probably the thing I liked most about that universe I think they could still make another cool version, and probably best as a part/leader of sinister six or just not the only villan in the movie)

My biggest wish though would be for them to develop some version of a six arm saga and/or even the further mutation stages, its an awesome idea for making Parker himself a bit more dynamic.

EDIT: I just checked IMDB and apparently the fourth movie´s gonna have Doc Ock as the main villian and then four more, Sinister Five? Anyway its weird cause additionally they´ve posted information about it which I´d consider the biggest kind of spoiler. AND its not coming out till 2018.

Yea. This picture is from TASM2 trailer,

Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Doc-Ock-Vulture-570x313.jpg

That's obviously Doc's arms and Vulture's wings, so looks like they're all set up and ready to go, much like how Rhino was teased in TASM.

So for the villains we're talking Electro, Goblin, Rhino, Vulture, Doc Ock, all have had visual confirmation of existing in some form or other. That's five villains. With a Venom movie confirmed, that's a total of six.

Fans reading viral media have ventured to include Mysterio and Hydro-Man to that list which brings us to eight. O_O

I agree Kraven would be cool if he could be done properly. I dunno though...

Holy shit didnt know Mark was gonna be in the new Transformers, I´d watch it either way though but he´ll definitely be a step up from Shia. And I read about the dinosaur stuff long ago and that they might go for it but I never actually thought they´d do it for real. Thats gotta be a new low haha. Anyway looks fun I guess.

Dracula Untold - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXcSCDWY0_E

Red cape - superhero~esque
Slow~mo - check

Gotta admit though, that massive bat fist move thing whatever you call it looked cool. Usually movies with Dracula have been more or less in the horror genre, but this is a 300~esque action adventure fantasy. I think I'll check it out :p

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Dracula Untold - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXcSCDWY0_E

Red cape - superhero~esque
Slow~mo - check

Gotta admit though, that massive bat fist move thing whatever you call it looked cool. Usually movies with Dracula have been more or less in the horror genre, but this is a 300~esque action adventure fantasy. I think I'll check it out :p

I like Luke Evans too. He's a decent actor.

Deci

So this is happening over here in the US. A limited, though very wide open, release of the latest Dragonball movie, which came out initially in March of '13. I read the creator Akira Toriyama basically said, "I tried thinking up an original story as if the serialization had continued.". So yeah, no GT, and as close to canon as we're ever going to get.

http://www.fandango.com/dragonballz:battleofgods_174747/movieoverview

facebook_cover.jpg

Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods Theatrical Release (US)

I'm oddly excited. I was never able to force myself to watch Dragonball GT (whatever they intended with Goku being a kid again and whatever the hell was going on with Trunks, mustache Vegeta? SMH), so I think part of me wants to look at this as on official alternative. :troll: :ganishka:

So yes, I'm actually going to see this, the ticket price is low (9$) for a theatre ticket nowadays, and I've seen every other DBZ movie at least a few times now. I'm always down for a good feel trip down nostalgia road, so why not?

dragon+ball+theme+battle+of+god.png

I was wondering if anyone here has seen this and would give me their opinion on it?

Opinions on the web seem to be slightly tilted toward the negative, though I think this may be inevitable with such a popular series returning after so long of a time. Particularly when the author hasn't been involved in animation in almost 2 decades (or so the translation I read proposed).

The art seems about the same, except for some obvious computer assistance with the backgrounds and energy balls/blasts. Toriyama praised the art and called the battle scenes in the second half of the movie, "overwhelming". :serpico:

I wonder what's caused Japan to revisit so many of their old properties over the past few years? Berserk, Sailor Moon, now DBZ. Or perhaps I'm just noticing them more because these are series I was directly invested in..

I have tickets to go watch it on the 11th cos the show on the 5th sold out and the one on the 8th is at 12 PM (I'd be at work). If you're a long time fan and don't want to go through 10/15 episodes to watch a fight or power up, why not watch this :farnese:! Dragon Ball Z: Broly was freakin awesome and I hope *fingers crossed* the fights on this one are that good.

Deci

IncantatioN said:
I have tickets to go watch it on the 11th cos the show on the 5th sold out and the one on the 8th is at 12 PM (I'd be at work). If you're a long time fan and don't want to go through 10/15 episodes to watch a fight or power up, why not watch this :farnese:! Dragon Ball Z: Broly was freakin awesome and I hope *fingers crossed* the fights on this one are that good.

I agree. There's two things I want from my DBZ. Fantastic fight scenes and interesting character designs. Toriyama rarely disappoints, I think.

Ah yea, that reminds me. Movie 8 with Broly (definitely favorite), and movie 13 with Tapion and the Z sword, were previously the only movies made with Akira Toriyama. So this is the third one, making it a "sort of" rare thing. This is the 18th Dragonball movies and only the 3rd (I think) with the original creator. Another incentive to see it!

Found this random interesting information on the movie,
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is the 18th movie in the Dragon Ball anime series. It will take place between Dragon Ball manga chapters 517 and 518, in the 10 year timeskip after Goku defeats Buu, but before the 28th World Martial Arts Tournament.
http://www.saiyanisland.com/2013/03/akira-toriyama-interview/
If I remember correctly, at the very end of the manga we skip forward to what looked like kid versions of Goku and Vegeta fighting (grandchildren I'm sure), and the character Uub is introduced.

ANYWAY, I was trying to find a quote on his comments on the movie and stumbled on this... I guess I've been out of the loop, but apparently ...
ANOTHER DBZ MOVIE
is coming out in Japanese theaters in (May) 2015!
dbz2015-693x1024.jpg

I will quote Toriyama from a magazine released just recently on it,

As with the last movie, I thought up the new story for the next Dragon Ball theatrical movie as though it were a continuation of the manga when it was in serialization. Just the fact that I don’t have to draw anything means I can obsess completely over the smallest bits of dialogue. Well, the truth is that I wasn’t planning on going that far, since it’s pretty exhausting at my age, but I got a little carried away.

This time will of course be a continuation of the previous Battle of Gods, but I’ve deliberately increased the amount of action scenes by a good deal. With regards to the contents, they told me, “Keep it a secret!” like they’re all high-and-mighty, so I can’t touch on it yet, but it should be super-duper interesting!

The fact that I’d say that, when I’m not big on the flashy action-stuff, means there’s no doubt about it! Even my very first editor Torishima, who rarely ever praises me, said, “This is good!”

Absolutely no doubt about it! …Although it won’t be any good if I say that too loudly and people end up disappointed by it, but at the very least, I’m confident that the contents are something that the fans will be able to thoroughly enjoy! Right now, I’m drawing the design illustrations for the new character(s) and such. The movie’s completion is still a ways out in the future, but please look forward to it!!

also, SSJ God Vegeta (I'm happy, though this is expected with Toriyama always keeping things happening in pairs, and I'm personally thinking this means SSJ God Gogeta?)
and the phrases, "The worst wish in history" and "now despair for the universe begins" are important

Teaser released just days ago: ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHchMF-Dq8k (just Goku going SSJ1 and Shenron talking)

CheAkiwara

大天使 ~ ボイド
...I .. didnt know what I expected from "ant-sized". They´ve really outdone themselves this time.

...but now I really wanna see the BERSERK-sized Version of it. :ganishka:

I caught this totally bizarre movie on TV the other night and kinda shamelessly loved it.. :troll:

I wouldn't go in expecting a good story, or characterization, or dialogue... and yet something about it just made it so I couldn't look away. Hell, I don't even speak Japanese all that well, and yet it wasn't at all necessary considering how ridiculous it is. But what I will say is maybe give it a shot if you want something to laugh at while drunk with friends.

Aazealh said:
Man... I'd seen this trailer before, and if there's one thing I didn't need, it was to see it again (but I still watched until the end). :SK:

What can I say? I'm a sucker for some cheesy garbage when drunk, like how it's the only time I ever eat Taco Bell. :troll: ...I'll show myself out :schnoz:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Sarcomere said:
What can I say? I'm a sucker for some cheesy garbage when drunk, like how it's the only time I ever eat Taco Bell. :troll: ...I'll show myself out :schnoz:
Aw... is it bad that I kinda want to see it sober? But more importantly I gotta ask, what TV channel would play this? :ganishka:

Grail said:
Aw... is it bad that I kinda want to see it sober? But more importantly I gotta ask, what TV channel would play this? :ganishka:

Not if you're a fan of power rangers, sailor moon, cheesy zombie movies, and dbz! It could be worth a watch.

I've been in Japan for a couple weeks, so it makes more sense for it to be on TV, I suppose. I have no idea what channel it was, but afterwards they played Psycho 2... if that gives a good idea to the quality of the station. I honestly wasn't even aware they'd made a sequel, let alone 3. This movie was far more entertaining for whatever that's worth. :ganishka:

Blade Runner sequel news - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-sequel-finds-director-778162

The good - Harrison Ford will reprise his role. Denis Villeneuve (Enemy, Prisoners) in talks to direct it.

The bad - there's a sequel.

I guess if Denis is confirmed it'll make it all the more interesting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Blade Runner sequel news - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-sequel-finds-director-778162

The good - Harrison Ford will reprise his role. Denis Villeneuve (Enemy, Prisoners) in talks to direct it.

I don't even think that's necessary, and Ford's been over the hill for YEARS.

Nevertheless, news of a sequel is just plain bad, to me. Blade Runner stood alone just fine. The PC adventure game was a nice follow-up that was consistent with the movie without stepping on its toes (and also didnt have to involve Ford).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2015/10/hollywood-news/

To be perfectly honest, it’s a bit disconcerting. I never anticipated that a Hollywood studio would treat me like a human being. Let alone want to work with me as a creative partner and respect the fact that I do, in fact, know a lot about how stories work. This story in particular.

So… yeah. That’s the news. Me and them, we’re gonna do a thing.

Lionsgate is making its own press release today and there will be stories in all manner of Hollywood news outlets pretty soon. It’s not a coincidence that my blog is launching up on the very same day as their big announcement. In the same hour, even. Lionsgate coordinated with me so I could share this news on my blog at the same time they’re launching their story.

The Kingkiller Chronicle series, by Patrick Rothfuss, is going to become a TV series, with a movie and video game deal in the package.

I like the books -- don't love them. They're more interesting to me than any other current fantasy novels. But the prospect of turning any book I like into a movie fills me with dread. Yet the author (of course, the man who stands to benefit from the venture being a success) sounds optimistic, and gave them a hard sell (of course he would!). So.. I dunno, maybe?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
The Kingkiller Chronicle series, by Patrick Rothfuss, is going to become a TV series, with a movie and video game deal in the package.

I like the books -- don't love them. They're more interesting to me than any other current fantasy novels. But the prospect of turning any book I like into a movie fills me with dread. Yet the author (of course, the man who stands to benefit from the venture being a success) sounds optimistic, and gave them a hard sell (of course he would!). So.. I dunno, maybe?

Maybe he should focus on finishing his "trilogy" (that'll end up being a dodecalogy) first...

Top Bottom