Movies you've recently watched

Ivan's Childhood (1962) - 4/5 - My second Tarkovosky film and what should have been my first but my god for a first feature-length film and directed at 30 years old, he made a fantastic anti-war flick that didn't need to focus on the battle side of war to be interesting and captivating. Fantastic performance by Nikolai Burlayayev and some of the shots in this flick, the trench-kiss scene and the final few minutes on the beach are going to stick with me for a while. Great film.

Recently watched Reservoir Dogs for the first time
eh it was fine
then last night I watched Digimon Adventure Last Evolution Kizuna
10/10 art

Bill & Ted 3.

Exactly what I hoped it'd be. Silly and fun. Plus it hit the music nerd in me just the right way. It never tried to be more than itself. Felt like I was watching a 90s comedy in 2020. Briefly reminded me of what the world was like before it got abysmally stupid.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bill & Ted 3.

Exactly what I hoped it'd be. Silly and fun. Plus it hit the music nerd in me just the right way. It never tried to be more than itself. Felt like I was watching a 90s comedy in 2020. Briefly reminded me of what the world was like before it got abysmally stupid.
That's great to hear! I was hoping they'd pull it off and not retroactively ruin the whole thing.

Watched the new Mulan. I wouldn't call it a disappointment because the animated film was not a part of my childhood. Prior to last week, I'd maybe watched it once at a friends place aeons ago and that's it. Knowing we were going to see the live action movie this weekend, I thought it'd be a good idea to brush up on the animated Mulan. So I watched animated Mulan and thought it was pretty decent - songs were memorable and the story held up. Fast forward to seeing the live action and even as a stand alone film, it isn't good. Comparing it to the animated original, it falls deeper. Spoiler below -

The animated Mulan was a normal girl who trained hard to get to the skill level she got to. The stakes for her were higher with her cutting her hair to disguise her appearance in an army where only boys/ men were allowed to be part of. Scratch all of that for the live action Mulan where she's born with a gift of a fighting 'chi' that she's been told to suppress. She never cut her hair to disguise her appearance in a group of boys/ men while training at the army. So the stakes were a LOT different and it never hits home.

The main fight was underwhelming and quick. In fact most/ all the fights were underwhelming, choppy and most of Mulan's choices are questionable. They took out the mythical creature from the animated movie (voiced by Eddie Murphy) and instead included an animated phoenix that appears from time to time in a pretty unconvincing manner. The actress playing Mulan was the weakest actor in the film and extremely wooden. It's kinda ironic because in the beginning, while she was getting matched with the match-maker, she had a lot of make-up caked on her face and she jokes about how because of the make-up, her expressions are the same for a happy face or a sad face or some other face (whichever face she said).

I wish we could watch Tenet in the same capacity - rented online - given that theaters are closed in the US at the moment. I wonder what the studio will do when it's time for Dune to release (sometime in December). And that's a separate discussion for what I think the future of the movie watching experience to be via VR headsets for an amazing immersive experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom