Movies you've recently watched

Watched Don't Look Up. Instead of watching this, check out Adam McKay's better doomsday movie, The Big Short.
I'll have to go back to The Big Short, cos I don't remember that one (I know who's in it!). Don't Look Up to me had its moments but I fell asleep mid-way and had to watch it again to finish it. It wasn't bad, but it felt long. It's hard to trust any marketing these days because they like to show the two or big review sites with the highest ratings to push folks to watch it.

I watched The Batman this past weekend and let it sit for a little. And wow, the friends I was with had different take aways from it in terms of what did they like/ not like about it, and hearing those things is always fun. It bothered someone that the movie took place in the night for a majority of the film (which I actually didn't mind), someone said it rained a lot (which I didn't mind), someone thought it was too long (which again, I didn't mind because hey, I come from a country of 3 hour movies being normal anyway!), and so forth. This definitely focused more on Batman being a detective more than kicking ass or about his gadgets turning him into a Superhero James Bond on screen. I can already sense a long review from Griffith detailing all the funny things about Bruce/ Batman's portrayal on this one :griffnotevil:.

I liked the movie. I would recommend checking it out. What I like - action sequences, using the city of Gotham as part of the atmosphere (including all the rain and dark scenes - sure), character focussed and not so much about big action sets/ sequences.
I liked how they twisted the story around Bruce's parents (not as innocent or good as they're portrayed in other movies) and him having an existential crisis when he discovers he's been fighting for the wrong reasons the moment he finds out about the link with Falcone. I didn't think they needed to show the Joker to set it up for a sequel. Batman's core realization of not being vengeance, rather a beacon of hope to the people was a good thing to happen too, without it taking 2 or 3 full movies for him to get it.
Yes - to not having to watch another version of his parents being killed. This pacing was perfect to me - I liked the long pauses and those funny interactions with other cops. Action sequences were a breath of fresh air from the Nolan movies because there isn't a constant camera jump/ cut to a different angle - the sort of action scene gimmick to show a quicker sequence which's so commonly used these days like in the new MK movie. Would I watch it again? Absolutely. Is it the best Batman movie? No, but why compare it? It got me thinking that Robert would've also been a good casting if they were to go the Batman Beyond route. That would've been a good time to see Nic Cage playing older Bruce - who am I kidding?! Hahaha!

Yesterday I watched Robert Eggers' The Northman. I was quite hesitant since his previous two films, while being excellent horror films also managed to disturb me which is something I don't really like (horror isn't my cup of tea) yet this one dives a lot less in that territory while still keeping Eggers' filmmaking style.
Overall I found it pretty good from a filmmaking point of view, I'm just glad there are movies of this nature being made in this time and age where only superhero stuff and comedy gets all the money and attention (it was quite terrible hearing fellow audience members commenting and laughing because they couldn't take this kind of tone and film seriously, luckily the theater was quite empty).

I was stunned to see (possibly) some Berserk references, or at least, imagery that comes really really close to it. The context and meaning are totally different, but it was awesome nonetheless. Not actual spoilers, they happen very early on in the film but maybe you'd like to keep the surprise.
- During a ritual to gain his Berserker (in the Vikings meaning), our young protagonist is showing levitating and sheds his last tear while swearing to take revenge on his father in case he gets murdered. That last tear crystalizes and comes back into the story, but the context and meaning is really different than in Berserk, yet it's such a unique concept that I can't not think it's a reference.
- Not even a minute after the aforementioned scene of the last teardrop, there's a visual of a heart with a vortex in the background (instantly recognizeable reference to the Idea of Evil and the vortex of souls), from its veins generate the roots of a tree on which bodies are shown hanging (in the context of the film, it's a visual representation of the family tree and the various generations, but visually it's just the hanging tree where Guts was born).
There are other parallels but they're quite common for this type of stories, those two were the most striking ones to me as a Berserk fan.

Overall I still feel that this film wasn't much of my cup of tea, but it was good to watch. I honestly think that if for some awful reason there will be a Berserk adaptation (more or less faithful) in live action, someone like Robert Eggers would be ideal to have deliver a good film / series, he's really got a great sense of direction and visuals.

Has anyone else watched it?

Yesterday I watched Robert Eggers' The Northman. I was quite hesitant since his previous two films, while being excellent horror films also managed to disturb me which is something I don't really like (horror isn't my cup of tea) yet this one dives a lot less in that territory while still keeping Eggers' filmmaking style.
Overall I found it pretty good from a filmmaking point of view, I'm just glad there are movies of this nature being made in this time and age where only superhero stuff and comedy gets all the money and attention (it was quite terrible hearing fellow audience members commenting and laughing because they couldn't take this kind of tone and film seriously, luckily the theater was quite empty).

I was stunned to see (possibly) some Berserk references, or at least, imagery that comes really really close to it. The context and meaning are totally different, but it was awesome nonetheless. Not actual spoilers, they happen very early on in the film but maybe you'd like to keep the surprise.
- During a ritual to gain his Berserker (in the Vikings meaning), our young protagonist is showing levitating and sheds his last tear while swearing to take revenge on his father in case he gets murdered. That last tear crystalizes and comes back into the story, but the context and meaning is really different than in Berserk, yet it's such a unique concept that I can't not think it's a reference.
- Not even a minute after the aforementioned scene of the last teardrop, there's a visual of a heart with a vortex in the background (instantly recognizeable reference to the Idea of Evil and the vortex of souls), from its veins generate the roots of a tree on which bodies are shown hanging (in the context of the film, it's a visual representation of the family tree and the various generations, but visually it's just the hanging tree where Guts was born).
There are other parallels but they're quite common for this type of stories, those two were the most striking ones to me as a Berserk fan.

Overall I still feel that this film wasn't much of my cup of tea, but it was good to watch. I honestly think that if for some awful reason there will be a Berserk adaptation (more or less faithful) in live action, someone like Robert Eggers would be ideal to have deliver a good film / series, he's really got a great sense of direction and visuals.

Has anyone else watched it?
I've also seen the film, i'm not sure if I liked it or not although I'm a big fan of the director's early works, mostly The VVitch. I see your point on some possible Berserk references but it's not likely since The Northman is an adaptation of The Amleth, which is basically Shakespeare's Hamlet. It's a popular story, or you may call it a legend if you think on how old it is. So, Shakespeare kind of got his influence from The Amleth when he wrote Hamlet. The Northman is The Amleth. Still, it must be more fun to watch it as a Berserk fan.

Finally, I would aslo agree, if Berserk had a movie, someone like Eggers may fit perfectly.

I didn't know about The Amleth, it would be interesting to see if it contains references to those elements I considered Berserk references (the last teardrop, the heart / tree of generations) since watching the film it seemed to me like direct references.
If it's actually a reference to the original The Amleth, maybe we could find out another element that inspired Miura in drawing Berserk.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
Berserk references (the last teardrop, the heart / tree of generations) since watching the film it seemed to me like direct references.
Those did not read to me as references, but I respect that you see them that way. For me the connection to Amlet / Hamlet was overwhelming... the whole plot, the characters, the revenge, the witch, and also the pledge. My friends were laughing about all the connections after we left the theater.

A manga I specifically thought of when watching this was Vinland Saga, because

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
Saw a couple movie I recommend:

Black Narcissus (1947) - absolutely loved this movie about nuns going mad in the Himalayas. Find the Critertion print. All backgrounds are painted and feel like an early Walt Disney movie. Gorgeous editing and camera work. It is one of the best films I have ever seen.

I'm Your Man (2021) - simple and nicely made German film about a workaholic who agrees to take part in a study where she will keep a robot boyfriend for three weeks. He has been created as her ideal partner. I enjoyed how this movie explores the idea of a robot companion. It never goes Stepford Wives or slides into Chucky territory, but it does keep a gentleness about it. Dan Stevens does a fantastic job making himself physically into a robot that is constantly learning to blend in as human.

Top Gun: Maverick - I liked the old movie, sure, not my favorite Tom Cruise film or a movie I'd watch over and over (like a Commando or Predator or ... wait, wrong actor [!] but you get the message), but this sequel is better. And it's still a very commercial, summer flick without taking itself too seriously. What's not there in it - fast paced action, a good dose of emotion that wasn't lost on me, and call-backs to the first film. You also don't need to watch the first film to watch this sequel because it reminds the audience of the key points of the backstory. The scenes in the plane = awesome. Emotional scenes = rough (in a good way, as in effective - depending on how you see it). Can't wait to watch this at home again, in proper print or 4K.

Also watched the new Doctor Strange film but I'll add thoughts on it later.

So, did you not see it in a theater?

I did.

My local theater is a small one, and while they have digital projection, (a) sometimes the lighting of the print isn't the best [this's also either theater-specific or with the kind of projection the theater uses or the ticket you opt for in bigger AMC/ Regal theaters], and (b) it's not Dolby.

Last edited:
Top Bottom