Movies you've recently watched

Thank you :serpico:
I always had a hard time to decide between red beard and high&low for the first place. I made my decision.. Please look again :void:
I'd really like to see you personal order Walter.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I doubt I could rank all of the ones I've seen in the way that you did, furthermore it's been years since I've seen them. But a top 3 would include Dersu Uzala, High and Low and Seven Samurai. Those are the three that I return to and rewatch pretty often. Dersu Uzala I try to watch once a year (too bad there's no Criterion edition still, after all these years...). High and Low is the Kurosawa film I show off to people who claim they don't like "all those martial arts movies." That's a solid, classic thriller with a truly haunting ending.

Walter said:
Well, I doubt I could rank all of the ones I've seen in the way that you did, furthermore it's been years since I've seen them.

It's been many years since I saw them and I'm not a big fan of the ''top list'' but for the challenge and achievement, I promised myself to do it someday.

Walter said:
But a top 3 would include Dersu Uzala, High and Low and Seven Samurai. Those are the three that I return to and rewatch pretty often.
That's damn close. Really nice.

Walter said:
Dersu Uzala I try to watch once a year (too bad there's no Criterion edition still, after all these years...).

Indeed, it's a real shame but at least, when Dersu gonna get the Criterion treatment, it will be with their (awesome) current editing and design standard. It's a matter of time but it's undoubted. Just like the pretty neat editions of Rashomon.

Walter said:
High and Low is the Kurosawa film I show off to people who claim they don't like "all those martial arts movies." That's a solid, classic thriller with a truly haunting ending.

This is the one I watch once a year :guts: I really think as a whole, it's Kuro's best film. Also, from my point of view, this is the purest and fascinating black&white I ever seen. Each time I see it, I'm strike by the textures, the complexity, the beauty of it.
Even so, I'm a big fan of italian golden age cinema and the Noir genre :void:

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Not sure how I missed this my first time reading replies.

Griffith said:
I'm going to disagree with this sentiment and interpretation because it can be rationalized as a general plan to cover his escape (he had to know he'd be pursued),

I agree that it was likely some pre-made general escape plan since it's well established that he knows the holes in MI6's security like the back of his hand. The fact that it so seamlessly doubled as an assassination plot, as well as how expertly timed and theatrical it all was, felt very Jokerish to me,
but I liked it. There's definitely no pain involved, I loved that sequence and really enjoyed Skyfall as a whole.

edit: As far as Bond being
in the path of the subway car, that is something I only realized later was meant as part of his plan to get close to M and not specifically to obstruct Bond.
On retrospect it was foolish to think so in the first place.

Hope+Springs.jpeg

Hope Springs is a funny romantic drama. Can't say much, Tommy Lee Jones' character's funny as hell in some scenes. 7/10.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
After seeing Walter and Piraan talk about it, I took a shot in the dark and watched Primer.

I was extremely confused at the end, but it was well worth the watch. Definitely something that went below my radar.

Awesome! You've just watched an intelligent science fiction flick that doesn't give 1 easy explanation. You must watch it again, at least once more ^_^.

Primer was a really good movie, i really enjoyed it.
IncantatioN said:
You must watch it again, at least once more ^_^.
I agree. To be honest, i still don´t understand some stuff that went on. Johnstantine be sure to watch it again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
After seeing Walter and Piraan talk about it, I took a shot in the dark and watched Primer.

I was extremely confused at the end, but it was well worth the watch. Definitely something that went below my radar.
I think I finally understood everything after the third or fourth viewing :guts:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I just got back from a one day special screening of Gremlins by my local cinema. I never thought I'd have a chance to see it in theaters so I was really excited to go and get to see it on the big screen.

I finally got around to seeing Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris. I was surprised by how much I liked the movie. It had me laughing so much. It was such a delightful and charming film. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys movies like that.

Johnstantine said:
Just got back from watching The Hobbit. Really enjoyed it. Had some major laugh out loud moments.
I was surprised by how funny the movie was as well. I've never read the book, so I'm interested to hear from those who have about what they though about the movie. The scenes with Bilbo and Gollum stole the show.

Wyrm

HEMA
Wrote this on The Hobbit movie thread but should've been here:

Seen the movie.

As an adventure movie based on JRRT works: AMAZING!!!! HAD SO MUCH FUN! WANNA BE A DWARF!

As an adaptation of the Hobbit: a passable money-grab with book scenes milked until the tit is dry...

Shorter Version: Good fantasy movie, bad adaptation. IMHO.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
JoeZeon said:
I was surprised by how funny the movie was as well. I've never read the book, so I'm interested to hear from those who have about what they though about the movie. The scenes with Bilbo and Gollum stole the show.

See, I could care less what people have to say in about the movie in comparison to the book. I never read the book(s), so I never understood the disappointment from other people. I like what I saw, so that's all I care about.

Edit for the sake of not double posting

I finally watched Cloud Atlas last night. Not sure why people hated it. I enjoyed it immensely. It is its own film, so it's hard to compare it to others. The performances were great, as was the story and visuals.

Great movie, although I highly doubt more than a few on the forum would enjoy it.

AWWW MAN, I still need to check it out. If you liked it, I'm sure I will. Thanks for the tip, I was seriously vary of why it got bumped so bad on the review scale. In my mind I blamed it on Halle Berry's sellability and Tom Hanks' dry run, despite his overall star powah.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
AWWW MAN, I still need to check it out. If you liked it, I'm sure I will. Thanks for the tip, I was seriously vary of why it got bumped so bad on the review scale. In my mind I blamed it on Halle Berry's sellability and Tom Hanks' dry run, despite his overall star powah.

Yeah, well, I will say that it's very obscure. There's only one of the stories that was kind of awkward for me (the distant future one with the Hawaiin islands). The speech patterns they use in it is a little weird, but it gets better as you go. Also, Huge Weaving has a badass character in that one. He's like the dark side of Tom Hanks, but he's green and wears a big hat and big shoes. But the way he talks is fucking awesome. They did a great job with it.

The other stories are all pretty cool, though. Also, there's some pretty fucking funny parts as well. I think you'll enjoy it, but I can't guarantee anything. The Wachowski's always strike some weird chord with me that I can't explain. Aaz said it's because I'm a tranny banger or something (Lana W.), but I don't think that's the case :ganishka:

I think I enjoyed it so much because, well, I just did.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Just returned from watching Django. It was good, had good laughs and I liked Foxx's acting. The music was a combination of western and hip hop. I recommend it . :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
TheBranded1 said:
Just returned from watching Django. It was good, had good laughs and I liked Foxx's acting. The music was a combination of western and hip hop. I recommend it . :guts:
Where do you think it stands among the other Tarantino films?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
Where do you think it stands among the other Tarantino films?
In my opinion if I were to put them in order, this for me would be his 3rd best film. With "pulp" and "reservoir " being better. But I'm not such a movie guy as most of you guys are. That's just my take in the subject.

JGL-Gun.jpg

Watched Looper last night and it was pretty good, sort of like Source Code where you had a different idea, executed not so perfectly BUT well enough to make it stick good. If you're one to hit at plot holes or the kind of consistency Primer may have had, don't go with those expectations. The entire cast does a good job collectively and the story moves at a quick pace. Overall it gets an 8/10 from me and I'll buy it on BR if it's out.

Top Bottom