Movies you've recently watched

Deci

I watched Blade Runner for the first time recently, it sure took me long enough. I liked it a lot. =) I felt a cyberpunkish vibe from it which I've enjoyed since I was very young. Also the noirish vibe in a futuristic setting was very cool. Seeing a young Harrison Ford again is always fun, especially in a role I had not seen before. Rutger Hauer has been a favorite of mine since I first saw Ladyhawke.

I did not like Deckard's final monologue so much, and surprise surprise, it's not in the other versions! I had a feeling from very early on that Deckard could have been a replicant. There's also no need for Rachael to be free of the 4-year expiration this way. I also apparently missed a unicorn dream which makes me sad. I'll have to see one of the superior versions eventually. =)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Deci said:
I watched Blade Runner for the first time recently, it sure took me long enough. I liked it a lot. =) I felt a cyberpunkish vibe from it which I've enjoyed since I was very young. Also the noirish vibe in a futuristic setting was very cool. Seeing a young Harrison Ford again is always fun, especially in a role I had not seen before. Rutger Hauer has been a favorite of mine since I first saw Ladyhawke.

I did not like Deckard's final monologue so much, and surprise surprise, it's not in the other versions! I had a feeling from very early on that Deckard could have been a replicant. There's also no need for Rachael to be free of the 4-year expiration this way. I also apparently missed a unicorn dream which makes me sad. I'll have to see one of the superior versions eventually. =)

Everything was ruined for you. First you never saw Blade Runner, and then when you see it, you watch the crappy version. Sucks man.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
NightCrawler said:
Everything was ruined for you. First you never saw Blade Runner, and then when you see it, you watch the crappy version. Sucks man.

Yeah, I feel bad for him.

Watch one of the other versions. That version is the worst with the voiceover at the end.

"I'm not sure why Batty did what he did." HE DID IT BECAUSE HE WAS TRYING TO BE MORE HUMAN THAN YOU ARE ASSHOLE.

Deci

Well you can blame subscription television in the United States for that one, I guess. =/ Sadly that's the version people are going to see the most, just like now when you reference Berserk and someone recognizes it they'll most probably think about this fucking trilogy. I've gotten some subtle suggestions to read, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" , but from what I understand Ridley Scott didn't really try to follow the book so much, though the title alone really makes me want to see the unicorn sequence.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Well you can blame subscription television in the United States for that one, I guess. =/ Sadly that's the version people are going to see the most, just like now when you reference Berserk and someone recognizes it they'll most probably think about this fucking trilogy. I've gotten some subtle suggestions to read, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" , but from what I understand Ridley Scott didn't really try to follow the book so much, though the title alone really makes me want to see the unicorn sequence.

As a general advice, you should read P.K. Dick's works if you have any interest in Sci-Fi.

Anyone else (http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=8350.msg222522#msg222522) watched Pacific Rim yet? I wonder if this's going to be a movie that people find awesome because it was visually good in spite of a sub-par plot (Star Trek: Into Darkness and Man Of Steel)

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Anyone else (http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=8350.msg222522#msg222522) watched Pacific Rim yet? I wonder if this's going to be a movie that people find awesome because it was visually good in spite of a sub-par plot (Star Trek: Into Darkness and Man Of Steel)

I saw it Friday and thought it was a pretty good summer action movie. The lead actor was pretty weak and the plot felt disjointed at times. I also felt it got too overdramitc at points and I expected more humor. I think I had higher expectations because of DelToro's involvment. Even still there's a lot to enjoy in this movie. I mean its exactly what you'd expect from a modern day monster/mecha movie. I also didn't see it in 3d although I kinda wish I had.

From my point of view, Pacific him is a excellent summer movie because it suceed where japanese failed or should i say never even try. It's a anime, a robotto anime in live action without any (visible) compromise. With all the codes, patterns, crazyness, iconic characters and setting, action that come with it. Even if you don't know a damn thing about robotto anime and kaiju genre, it still succeed.

This, pretty much summarize my thoughts,
The performances help us care about the stakes, but the film unfolds for the most part in the smashing of metallic fists into the faces of giant beasts. Emotional flashbacks and general pettiness and masculine competitiveness are dressing for the core smash-em-up. The emotions exhibited are no more sophisticated than they need to be, fitting perfectly with the general tone of the film.

In the end, an audience may not be ready for something that lacks either irony or jingoism, a straight-up action film that calls upon the simplicity of childhood play. We've been conditioned to accept the trappings of the adult world in our adolescent fantasies, these elements rarely amount to anything more than silly contemporary witticisms ("whoops, my bad") or fortune cookie-level philosophizing (*with great power comes great responsibility"). Pacific Rim is at its best when we see fantastic fighting machines lumbering through the ocean waves, off to punch an enormous screeching beast atop the noggin. It's a film that doesn't need to be ironic or self-effacing to be terrifically effective. It's a film that needs, and provides in ways no film ever has, the spectacle of monsters battling giant robots.

On that level, as a spectacle free from dogma or expectation, reveling in the simplicity of purpose and beauty of the execution, Pacific Rim is near perfect.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Just got back from seeing Pacific Rim. Loved every minute of it.

Only problem I had was that the pacing seemed a little off at times. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There's been such a positive response to Pacific Rim, I feel like I have to see it, even though I don't really have any personal desire to see it. Hope I can get away to a theatre before it's gone.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
There's been such a positive response to Pacific Rim, I feel like I have to see it, even though I don't really have any personal desire to see it. Hope I can get away to a theatre before it's gone.

You can't go wrong with a movie when del Toro is directing it.

Pacific Rim was exactly what I'd hoped it'd be, fun. If you go in expecting Schlinder's List you'll be let disappointed. If you appreciate kaiju films (which I adore) and want to see enjoyable bouts between giants, you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Lol at this Pan's Labyrinth talk. I saw it once on a plane to Chile and enjoyed it. Haven't seen it since. Ordered it 2 days ago on Amazon on Blu-ray for $6. Really looking forward to watching it again and see how I feel about it now.

Also, hey guys. Missed you all. :casca:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Johnstantine said:
I thought I'd heard everything up until now. You are literally the only person I've seen that hasn't liked it.

I didn't like it just cause it was so DAAARRRK and I really do not enjoy torture scenes that are not in Berserk. I liked a lot of the stuff IN it though.

Just saw Pacific Rim and it was full of funtimes. I had no idea Owen from Torchwood was in it so I was making jolly noises when he showed up even though I was deeply unsold on either his Bert or the other guy's Ernie. Luckily it was not the kind of movie to be ruined by goofy characters/characterizations.

OMG Proj! Hi Proj!!

Proj2501 said:
Pacific Rim was exactly what I'd hoped it'd be, fun. If you go in expecting Schlinder's List you'll be let disappointed. If you appreciate kaiju films (which I adore) and want to see enjoyable bouts between giants, you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Fantastic! My friend is a huge fan of giant monster movies and I'm thankful to him for my exposure to them (and for Berserk, as well). We recently went through the Gamera movies and those were a blast for example (especially the first one).

Here's Gamera sneaking his way into Dragon Ball!

images

But my friend loved Pacific Rim, and I can't wait to see it myself.

I'm not sure if it's been posted here before, but the artist of one (or some) of the Metal Gear games drew this for the movie.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Lol at this Pan's Labyrinth talk. I saw it once on a plane to Chile and enjoyed it. Haven't seen it since. Ordered it 2 days ago on Amazon on Blu-ray for $6. Really looking forward to watching it again and see how I feel about it now.

Pan's Labyrinth: I saw it a year or two ago because I had to see what I'd think of it after hearing so many vague opinions about it that never really said anything about the movie itself. Just a bunch of mehs and indifferent reviews, and after I saw it, I was able to understand where they were coming from. For me it was the kind of movie that keeps your interest the first time and you also never have the urge to watch again. :serpico:

pacific-rim-del-toro.jpg

Watched Pacific Rim this past week, all said and done ... it's decent, I'd say over-rated to a marginal degree. If Lindelof was attached to it, people would rip it to shreds. Here's why - we're a smart audience and we like things to well ... make sense, not just any sense but think about the science behind things or question the lack of common sense. The movie kicks off with
Raleigh and his brother piloting a Jaegar (mech) fighting off a kaiju and things looks really COOL with the the explanation of the human-tech interface and a pumping good tune that may invoke serious head-bob-action, at least I was with a smile on the face. Things don't go perfectly planned and Raleigh’s brother gets killed and he leaves working in construction till Pentecost (Elba) finds him to recruit him. The Jaegar program is on it's own with no government funding and Pentecost plans to combine the few remaining Jaegar's and launch a final attack. Fair enough. The government's new plan is to build big walls and sit tight, walls that are easily breached by huge kaiju's. Kaiju's come through a dimension portal thingie that opens every few hours and in a specific area. They know where this is, they've always known where this is. Pentecost's plan is to drop a nuke into it, while the portal is open. I thought, why do you need jaegar's to fight kaiju's? They come up every few hours (sort of precise time is calculated, even if you're within the hour it should be ok), so why not have stealth bombers or choppers or battleships or subs or whatever else waiting for em and attack them or drop off this nuke? Kaiju's can be killed by big missiles which is how one of the jaegar's defeats them anyway. Only a jaegar's punch will shake off a kaiju, nothing else. Metal fists or mechanisms do not break during a fist fight but a kaiju can inflict massive damage from single hits when it hits a jaegar. Doesn't make sense but I guess it explains how jaegar's have no limitations from being underwater (with buttloads of water pressure at work), all devices working fine AND being able to move/ fight as they would on land.

Back home, every New Year or month or July 4th, Star Movies would play Independence Day. I haven't watched it since moving to NY but it's unforgettable, not that I liked the movie that much anyway. So the plan was to mask yourself in their alien craft so you're not detected when you fly into space, infiltrate enemy camp, say hello to glossy eye'd aliens, delivery the payload and head back successfully, right? So the plan now is to mask your jaegar while holding/ jumping with a kaiju so you're not detected when you use the portal to the kaiju world, infiltrate enemy camp, say hello to very similar looking glossy eye'd aliens, deliver the payload and head back successfully. Only difference being the portal is under water whereas in Independence Day they had to fly in space. Opposite directions, same idea. How original.

Pearlman's shoe design reminded me of Guts' armor shoe design : p ... AND there's a scene where Mako thinks Raleigh isn't breathing and is dead - she holds on to him tight and after a few seconds Raleigh whispers "You're holding me tight, I can't breathe" or something like that and I looked at DirectDK pointing to the screen, we both cracked up, reminded us of the Guts-Casca scene and dialog from the 100 Man Slayer incident.

Hilarious to know a $190 million budget film couldn't get good actors. Everyone except a little girl that plays young Mako or regular Pearlman (cracked me up) or the cute dog could have been replaced. Elba forgot he had an accent in some scenes. Mako's presence was full of cringe. Cheesy dialog here n there. I thought the
Father-Son scene in the end was cool
. Watched it in IMAX 3D but I'd like to go back and see it in 2D. The pacing was off.

Watch Pacific Rim to see pretty cool mech-monster fights. You'll enjoy it if you switch your brain off for all why or how questions and don't expect good acting.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Johnstantine said:
You can't go wrong with a movie when del Toro is directing it.

What? Del Toro is a passable director, he has good taste though, he just doesn't have the chops.
Pan's Labyrinth is overrated, but its still his best movie.

Also, Pacific Rim blows.

Watched Evil Dead remake since I missed it in theaters. Had mixed feelings but by the end I felt the campiness from the original had come full circle, which is a good thing. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what they do next with it. I'd recommend it.

Akebobo

my god... it's full of pants
IncantatioN said:
pacific-rim-del-toro.jpg

Watch Pacific Rim to see pretty cool mech-monster fights. You'll enjoy it if you switch your brain off for all why or how questions and don't expect good acting.

As much as I loved the movie, I have to agree with you on most of your points. BIG DUMB FUN. But sooooo much fun. It made me feel like when I was a kid sitting in the theater watching transformers the movie for the first time. Kind of a priceless experience for me.

The mech-kaiju fights were fun with that 1 up-beat track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhz14ekbdaE) ... A year ago Del Toro said he had reservations about post-conversion 3D for this film but earlier this month he said he supervised it and recommended a 3D IMAX viewing. I think it would work in just 2D. If the story/ script/ directing/ soundtrack/ etc. aren't any good, format wouldn't matter.

the-conjuring-review.jpg

It's been a while since I watched a horror movie in the theater, I try not to because of audience reactions. Been waiting for The Conjuring since teasers came out, it doesn't disappoint at all, I had a blast. Check it out. There's nothing new to the table
(influenced by Poltergeist, The Changeling, Burnt Offerings, or The Haunting, The Exorcist)
but it's tense, well executed, well acted with good closure to the plot and not a lot of CG which's refreshing.

Top Bottom