Movies you've recently watched

Agree with John on that one.

all-is-lost-clip-05222013-170437.jpg

All Is Lost is not bad a movie but I'd say you have to be in the mood to watch it. It's got little dialog and shows us a number of things that could go wrong when you're out at sea. I think the film shows that aspect of the story well, the ending to me looked open ... or
maybe he did drown in the end and that's just a hallucination for the audience?

Escape-Plan1.jpg

I had a lot of fun watching Escape Plan just for the sake of nostalgia. The movie isn't THAT bad. There are some big flaws but what can you expect! I'd watch it again if it was on TV.

thor2.jpg

Thor 2, not as fun or good as Thor. Ending is a botch job considering how there are just a few humans involved with saving the world or all 9 realms to be exact. If the problem was that grave, you'd expect more superheroes in the same universe to sort of react to it, like S.H.I.E.L.D. or the Avengers. Bad script. Decent eye-candy (CG), Portman's hot, her female friend who's hot in real life was annoying, Loki was cool. Aerial fights were well done.

unforgiven.jpg

Pal recommended this Eastwood movie to me. I'm not very familiar with his older movies but I've watched the movies he's directed post 2000. Unforgiven is DAMN GOOD! Eastwood's frakkin handsome and awesome in this one. Ok now that I got that outta my chest ... it's one of those movies where when you think about it, the story's simple. But the script and cinematography make up for everything and the acting of course. Good cast, no wasted dialog, characters feel real and the last 10/15 mins is when it all comes full circle, like the
$1000 reward and the bar owner buying it off Greely for a $1000
. Highly recommended.

I also watched In The Line Of Fire and it's pretty good. Not as good as Unforgiven, for me. What other pre-2000 movies would you guys recommend I check out?

Antonius Block

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.
What other pre-2000 movies would you guys recommend I check out?

If you're only interested in the films he has directed pre-2000, I'm not quite certain as to which these are just now... But if you're also interested in the pre-2000 films he has starred in that are the bomb, then you should definitely check out the following:

Dirty Harry
"The Man With No Name" Sergio Leone Trilogy (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly)
Kelly's Heroes
Outlaw Josey Wales (I think he may have directed this one.)

All of these are great. Outlaw Josey Wales kind of even reminds me of an Anime to a certain degree because you have this mythical gun fighter that has a bounty on his head and he has to go up against all kinds of crazy foes whilst traveling between a post civil-war South... Southern Bumpkins, Union Soldiers, Bounty Hunters etc. The characters are unique and the scenarios are wild. 5 Star masterpiece here.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Recently rewatched the first Batman movie from Tim Burton. I hadn't seen it since early childhood and couldn't remember 90% of it. I think the best part of it was the overall art design, the music, and the Joker. It had a kinda unfocused story that didn't flow together very well but had some great scenes and iconic moments. I remember liking Batman Returns a lot more as a kid, so I'm going to watch that soon as well. For some reason I watched Batman Forever a ton as a kid despite thinking it was pretty shitty... so I think I'll skip that and Batman and Robin rewatches. :azan:

Antonius Block said:
If you're only interested in the films he has directed pre-2000, I'm not quite certain as to which these are just now... But if you're also interested in the pre-2000 films he has starred in that are the bomb, then you should definitely check out the following:

Dirty Harry
"The Man With No Name" Sergio Leone Trilogy (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly)
Kelly's Heroes
Outlaw Josey Wales (I think he may have directed this one.)

All of these are great. Outlaw Josey Wales kind of even reminds me of an Anime to a certain degree because you have this mythical gun fighter that has a bounty on his head and he has to go up against all kinds of crazy foes whilst traveling between a post civil-war South... Southern Bumpkins, Union Soldiers, Bounty Hunters etc. The characters are unique and the scenarios are wild. 5 Star masterpiece here.

Sounds good, thanks for that. I'll hit them up as and when I find them. Was curious about Eastwood movies in general, ones he's starred in or directed.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Dar Klink said:
Recently rewatched the first Batman movie from Tim Burton. I hadn't seen it since early childhood and couldn't remember 90% of it. I think the best part of it was the overall art design, the music, and the Joker. It had a kinda unfocused story that didn't flow together very well but had some great scenes and iconic moments. I remember liking Batman Returns a lot more as a kid, so I'm going to watch that soon as well. For some reason I watched Batman Forever a ton as a kid despite thinking it was pretty shitty... so I think I'll skip that and Batman and Robin rewatches. :azan:

If you want really awesome, fantastic, unequivocal Batman viewing experience, then I highly suggest watching Batman the Animated Series, followed by Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, and the Justice League Unlimited. That's, in my opinion, the best Batman writing ever.

Antonius Block said:
Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Trilogy

All three easily within my top ten of all time. They´re just too damn iconic. And gawd that OST by Morricone is like the yummie icing on the cake! :guts: I cant believe you havent seen 'em, Incan, you´re like the godfather of movie nerds :iva:

I guess a big part of why I love them so much is cause I watched them when I was very young, and Eastwood's pretty much been the mother of all badasses ever since. Sincerely hope you´ll enjoy them even though you kinda missed out on the nostalgia factor. (Oh and try to forget about Yojimbo if you´ve already seen it, also effin' awesome btw)

Johnstantine said:
If you want really awesome, fantastic, unequivocal Batman viewing experience, then I highly suggest watching Batman the Animated Series, followed by Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, and the Justice League Unlimited. That's, in my opinion, the best Batman writing ever.

Seems like I´ve got some watching to do here. I´ve only seen Batman TAS. Mostly did it out of desperate nostalgia only a few years ago, and what I love about it most is how dark it is, I cant imagine I´d like Superman the same way. But I guess I´ll give it a try if the Dark Knight himself does some cameos. Thanks for the recco...

IncantatioN said:
Pal recommended this Eastwood movie to me. I'm not very familiar with his older movies but I've watched the movies he's directed post 2000. Unforgiven is DAMN GOOD! Eastwood's frakkin handsome and awesome in this one. Ok now that I got that outta my chest ... it's one of those movies where when you think about it, the story's simple. But the script and cinematography make up for everything and the acting of course. Good cast, no wasted dialog, characters feel real and the last 10/15 mins is when it all comes full circle, like the
$1000 reward and the bar owner buying it off Greely for a $1000
. Highly recommended.

With ya all the way on this one, I liked how it ran so counter to all of his older western movies with its grittiness and take on violence. I'm interested to see how this new Japanese remake with Ken Watanabe goes.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Hanma_Baki said:
All three easily within my top ten of all time. They´re just too damn iconic. And gawd that OST by Morricone is like the yummie icing on the cake! :guts: I cant believe you havent seen 'em, Incan, you´re like the godfather of movie nerds :iva:

I guess a big part of why I love them so much is cause I watched them when I was very young, and Eastwood's pretty much been the mother of all badasses ever since. Sincerely hope you´ll enjoy them even though you kinda missed out on the nostalgia factor. (Oh and try to forget about Yojimbo if you´ve already seen it, also effin' awesome btw)

Seems like I´ve got some watching to do here. I´ve only seen Batman TAS. Mostly did it out of desperate nostalgia only a few years ago, and what I love about it most is how dark it is, I cant imagine I´d like Superman the same way. But I guess I´ll give it a try if the Dark Knight himself does some cameos. Thanks for the recco...

Superman is definitely the weakest DCAU title, outside of Static Shock of course. But, if you're going to watch anything past BTAS, you're going to need to watch it for the sake of continuity. Especially for when you get to JL/JLU. It's just flat-out spectacular on all accounts. There isn't a single bad episode of those shows and the characterizations are fantastic. It's hands-down my favorite written Batman and Superman.

10/10 would recommend again.

Thanks. I´ll definitely be checking it out. I was just about to begin watching JL, lucky I talked to you first. Now, to get my hands on some Superman and Batman Beyond.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Hanma_Baki said:
Thanks. I´ll definitely be checking it out. I was just about to begin watching JL, lucky I talked to you first. Now, to get my hands on some Superman and Batman Beyond.

Batman Beyond should be on Netflix. Superman is on Amazon instant.

Hanma_Baki said:

(Oh and try to forget about Yojimbo if you´ve already seen it, also effin' awesome btw)

That's sweet of you to say, thanks. There are a bunch of guys on here who are waay cooler and don't necessarily post about em like John, Nighty & more. Definitely seen Yojimbo and all of Kurosawa's movies. Growing up I didn't have access to a lot of older classics, my viewing experience was limited to whatever was aired on TV. I started to play catch up when I got into college and started to pay for cable-internet for quicker download speeds. When I finished college, I started to buy the ones that mattered to me. I haven't watched movies by a lot of classic directors.

JoeZeon said:
With ya all the way on this one, I liked how it ran so counter to all of his older western movies with its grittiness and take on violence. I'm interested to see how this new Japanese remake with Ken Watanabe goes.

That's an interesting point. I'll have to see if his more famous westerns make him out to be a superhero or someone real. Yeah, watched the trailer for that one, I'll watch it if it comes out in New York. Noticed a few parallels in the trailer itself!

Johnstantine said:
Batman Beyond should be on Netflix. Superman is on Amazon instant.

Aaand my search is over. Thanks.

That's sweet of you to say, thanks. There are a bunch of guys on here who are waay cooler and don't necessarily post about em like John, Nighty & more. Definitely seen Yojimbo and all of Kurosawa's movies. Growing up I didn't have access to a lot of older classics, my viewing experience was limited to whatever was aired on TV. I started to play catch up when I got into college and started to pay for cable-internet for quicker download speeds. When I finished college, I started to buy the ones that mattered to me. I haven't watched movies by a lot of classic directors.

Im the same, man. There´re many classics I´ve yet to check out as well. Just to mention a few; Hitchcock, and majority of Kurosawa actually, only seen the most famous ones. Yojimbos my favorite this far.

IncantatioN said:
That's an interesting point. I'll have to see if his more famous westerns make him out to be a superhero or someone real.

I guess that point is debatable but just as a heads up, EDIT: I just realized it might be spoilerish so keep reading at your own risk
"Blondie" is more of that mysterious man with an unknown past and "no name" as Block said. Nothing really deep about it. His a simple kind of badass.

It might not sound very appealing but its definitely charming in its own way.

The Wolf of Wall Street

Well that sure as hell wasnt the boring stuff we´re used to get from the likes of Oliver Stone (I like Platoon and U-turn though...). I can definitely see why its been number one one tpb for such a long time. Very entertaining considering its about three hours. One particular scene is very hilarious and memorable. Its one of those scene I´ll be watching on youtube from time to time.

EDIT: Fun fact here, I just looked up Oliver Stone on IMDB and I had no Idea he made both the other Wall Street films, LOL! I was refering to films like Alexander the Great, The Doors, NBK and Savages... Anyway, we´ll see if I get to eat my own words after I check those Wall Street movies of his :iva:

Old Boy

I had my suspicions but I had no idea this film was gonna be this bad. I mean OH MY GOD, THAT WAS BAD. I didnt even compare it to the original.
What amazes me the most is how smoothly they cut to that super epic fight scene (sarcasm). Oh and I almost turned it off when they cut off his hair

It actually started out pretty decent but once the prologue was done it went downhill pretty quick.

Oburi said:
I loved Wolf of Wall Street. Might be my favorite film from 2013.

You should defiantly watch boiler room or wall street or Dallas buyers club all are better then wolf of wall street.

I recently seen Dredd and Robocop both of these films blew away expectation because the bar was so low I guess. Dredd should just replace that shitty Sly version. Now robocop doesn't replace the original but its a pretty good movie.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I watched Gravity over the weekend. I thought it was one of the most overrated movies I've seen. The special effects were great, but there were a lot of moments that were physically impossible. You'd think in a movie that was called GRAVITY, the filmmakers would've had some notion what that entails.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Rhombaad said:
I watched Gravity over the weekend. I thought it was one of the most overrated movies I've seen. The special effects were great, but there were a lot of moments that were physically impossible. You'd think in a movie that was called GRAVITY, the filmmakers would've had some notion what that entails.

You saw it after the hype. It was amazing when I saw it, so I'm not sure why you think it's overrated.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Johnstantine said:
You saw it after the hype. It was amazing when I saw it, so I'm not sure why you think it's overrated.

True, it was after the hype, which is never a great way to watch a movie. I just didn't think there was much there beyond the special effects. The script was nonexistent, and what was there was pretty lame, in my opinion. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. I wish I had; it was a movie I was really looking forward to.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Yeah, at the theater I kept sneaking back into other showings at the part where the Chinese space station is starting to hit the atmosphere, just cause it was SUCH a pretty piece of SFX.

A friend of mine had a bunch of sound clips from the Space Core from Portal II on his phone and I have to say they made the empty-theater experience VERY amusing. (SPAAAACE!!!)

On a similar note, I just checked out Tom Cruise's 'Oblivion' which was much the same, very pretty with great design and sound work, all hung off the wispiest of plots.

Oh, and I watched "Ender's Game" out of curiosity after skimming the book in the bathroom over the previous few weeks... It was just awful, awful crap.

Europa Report I enjoyed, not my favorite movie ever but nice to see a solid independent sci-fi movie gettin' itself out there.

Pacific Rim I enjoyed a lot, possibly because I love giant fighting stuffs but hate the Transformers movies and I was just so jazzed to see some big screen giant robots that were not Transformers and without any shia leboufs. And also because I am that weirdo who thinks Burn Gorman is super hot. Also because I like Ron Perlman in anything/everything.

John Carter of Mars! I thought it was going to be a pile of shit but I ended up enjoying it just because they did such a great job with the all the CGI and the Green Martians. I was pretty fucken disappointed that they pussed out and did not make the Red Martians red.

Oh and "Chronicle" was another one I didn't expect to like at all but ended up really enjoying. The plot was very simple but it did end up feeling like a pretty honest take on what would happen if a couple of random kids suddenly got superpowers. The escalation towards the end genuinely amazed me. It just.. you know how all the destruction in the latest Superman just made you go 'jeez they blew up half the city, great job Supes'? The opposite of that. It was the way destruction ought to make you feel. Just sort of standing back and going "Oh, shit!"

Also, the newest Riddick movie. It was dumb. The doggies were excellent.

Elysium: Silly, fun. Jodie Foster was AWFUL. Bleah. Pflbfpth pth pthflb.

LEGO movie: Great. A+

I forgot about Dredd!! I loved it! I'm a casual fan of the Judge Dredd franchise and, basically, IMO, they did it right. I think I like Trek Reboot Bones a lot more in this than I like him in Trek or in that 'wait I forget, are we subverting racism or are we just racist' robot-cop-buddy-show.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
krzykoopa said:
While I will say the movie doesn't do the book justice Enders game wasn't "just awful, awful crap."

Care to support this opinion? Even on the plus side, I can't think of anything they did more than competently. Ford was awful. Ben Kingsley had nothing to work with. Viola Davis was good. Most of the kids were okay. The screenplay was scraped off the bottom of someone's shoe.

Gravity for me was an overall good experience (visual, sound) and although it had cheese or the end was weird, it's still well put together. I was stoked to see it since it was announced, so I was glad it turned out to be a fun experience. I think it's up there in terms of being the best commercial action/ adventure movie of 2013.

Sci-fi binge, Lith?? Heh. Europa Report was really cool if you think of the technical aspect of how it was filmed and the accuracy in some of the things on screen. My disappointment was with the way it ended, but it wasn't as silly as Ender's Game. Now that had potential. Agree with everything you said about those movies, still need to check out Chronicle and The Lego Movie. Hit up Timecrimes, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Strange Days, Another Earth, Sound Of My Voice, Moon, Primer, Upstream Color, Lockout.

Top Bottom