MPD Psycho

Kagami

Goo!
It's a pretty violent book, in it a girl has her arms and legs removed and is kept alive in a suit-case for example. :O

I wonder if there will be sfx boxes for this release :troll:

PS: Claypool rules

handsome rakshas said:
It seems that Dark Horse has announced (or will?) that it will be bringing the MPD Psycho manga over to the states. I have never read it myself, so can anyone give their impressions on it?

Link
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9542

Hopefully I can get some good impressions and not hear anyone rant about sound effect translations!  :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I read it quite a while ago. I think I stopped at volume 8 or 9. Honestly it was "Ok" at first, but it became really boring after a while to me. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure some people would disagree though.

Although I'm vaguely familiar with the MPD Psycho manga (something about a police investigator with a split-personality disorder, and a powerful mysterious crime organization), I'm gonna give it a chance and buy it. Hopefully, Dark Horse will have stellar translations, like it did with their other great manga titles such as Lone Wolf and Cub, Crying Freeman, Akira, Blade of the Immortal, Hellsing, Ghost in the Shell, and of course Berserk.
Once again, my hats off to DH for picking up such a interesting and intriguing series, because this again underscores the fact that Dark Horse is the type of company that will license the gems that'll have a strong fan support and will sell well even 20-25 years from now (just look at any of the the above mentioned titles, and you'll see what I mean). While other major publishers (specifically, Tokyopop and Viz Media) prioritize "quantity over quality" approach, Dark Horse Manga does just the exact opposite of that.

Kagami said:
I wonder if there will be sfx boxes for this release :troll:

Well, whatever SFX translation method DH might use for this one, I just hope that the sound effects will be translated no matter what.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Dude, do you work for Dark Horse or something? Because every time someone mentions them your replies sound like a fucking commercial.

TheSkyTraveller said:
Dude, do you work for Dark Horse or something?

Nope, I'm just an ordinary reader. It's just that most of the manga that I buy, is from DH, and the titles they've published are some of the best ones I've seen.

TheSkyTraveller said:
Because every time someone mentions them your replies sound like a fucking commercial.

What the hell? So let's see; if I'm simply holding a company in high regard, because of its solid reputation it had built up by bringing some of the finest seinen manga over to U.S, means that I'm actually promoting them, then you oughta see how some people jock Viz Media whenever a new volume of "Shonen Jump" bullshit comes out. Or how some fans out there practically fall head over heels for Tokyopop everytime they release any "Fruits Basket" volumes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
What the hell? So let's see; if I'm simply holding a company in high regard, because of its solid reputation it had built up by bringing some of the finest seinen manga over to U.S, means that I'm actually promoting them, then you oughta see how some people jock Viz Media whenever a new volume of "Shonen Jump" bullshit comes out. Or how some fans out there practically fall head over heels for Tokyopop everytime they release any "Fruits Basket" volumes.

You're not "simply holding a company in high regard," you're obsessed and it annoys people. And yes, it sounds like you're promoting them, when you're not raving about SFX that is. Nobody cares about fans of Fruits Basket here, they're not a standard by which you should evaluate yourself.

Now, do you have anything to say about MPD Psycho?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
BayJumper said:
then you oughta see how some people jock Viz Media whenever a new volume of "Shonen Jump" bullshit comes out.

Hey son, don't go picking on my One Piece and Bleach manga. :zodd:
I do value your opinion just like everyone else's though, Bayjumper. And opposing arguments make for good readin'! Thanks for everyone who participated in this thread! Sorry I caused so much trouble!

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Actually, it was my fault for derailing the thread, but I just couldn't take it anymore!

Anyway, the premise sounds interesting. I might check it out.

Top Bottom