My own sword

hello all so i began making a replica dragon slayer let me show you all a picture let me know what you all think ?
i know the extra part at the hilt does not look right but i have now decided that i want it to be useable the taper at the hilt makes it strong enough that it wont break when i swing it it is made out of hammer grade steal and weighs about 100 pounds its a half inch thick and it is 8 inch's wide it stands 6'4 today was the first time i really tyred to use it and to be honest I'm surprised i can lol

http://forum.theblackswordsman.com/download/file.php?id=231&t=1
http://forum.theblackswordsman.com/download/file.php?id=232&t=1

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: My own Dragon Slayer replica

The small size of the pictures you posted here make it kind of difficult to analyze the sword. Do you have any higher resolution pics?

Also, there are some pretty hilarious posts on that forum you linked to:

If he was so emotionally attached to Guts when he left why would he have sacrifised Guts and the whole BoH on the ecplise? Griffith is displayed as one of the smartest (next to or passing SK, Flora, Void, and Serpico)
Man, where to begin? :ganishka:

PS: I think you should probably add a period or two in your post. It's honestly a little hard to read as is :???:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
i know the extra part at the hilt does not look right

I can tell, but not so much since resolution is not that high. Like Walter mentioned, it will show details better.

but i have now decided that i want it to be useable

For what purposewill you have use for it? It looks cumbersome by the way you are posing.

it is made out of hammer grade steal and weighs about 100 pounds
How many swings you can get out of it, if it really weighs that much.

the taper at the hilt makes it strong enough that it wont break when i swing it

Most swords break when you hit something hard and with speed. If it breaks just by swinging it, then the quality is really low.

if you go to this post you can see the pics in hi res http://forum.theblackswordsman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=503

I can pull off about 10 or 15 swings before I have to rest.

I want to master it because no one thinks it can be done.
as far as I know I would be the first real human to wield such a sword.
I would like to inspire other people to do something so ridiculous lol.

my blacksmith made it to be practically indestructible so far so good.

sorry about my poor grammer I will try to work on it ~_~

Interesting! Yeah, that's a great start, heh, just watch out for hitting anything in the swing-path. Is English your second language, or a language you've been picking up recently? This is a great website you could use to brush up on some of the basics, if you'd like - English can be tricky even for people who've spoken it all their lives, so don't feel too bad if you're new to it: http://www.ego4u.com/

Looking forward to the progress on this sword!

lol yes it will destroy any thing in its path thats for sure.
no English is my first language i just suck at it lol.
as for the swords progress it is only going to look less like the DS i am getting the half circles at the hilt cut off because they
are getting in the way when i have it on my shoulder
I am working on getting a junk car to trash it as a test of the swords ability
when I do I will put up some videos ^_^

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
no English is my first language i just suck at it lol.
No your language and grammar are fine. You just need to end your sentences with periods . :serpico:

NOW you're talking!  :isidro:  :daiba:  :isidro:

SaiyanDevilRazz said:

:troll:
Good luck with that. I'm going to go ahead and say this now. Your plan is ridiculous. Though it might be because you used the word "master" which to me might mean something very different than what it might mean to you. If you just plan to learn how to swing the thing up and down and maybe even slash with it left and right. Then I'd call that becoming adept or practiced with the weapon. (at best)

Now I'm going to stop bashing and offer some help. Swinging big things around isn't exactly a new idea.
http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=CLUB40

Some Indian clubs are HUGE!!!!! And very heavy. There's actually a site (Not sure were I found it) that had some images of really big Indian clubs. Ones with huge stones one em. Now the reason I'd recommend them is because they would help you train up a certain kind of swinging movement. Which is what you would need for swinging that large sword around.

As for the sword itself.. It looks wrong. I can understand why you designed it the way you did at the part where the handle meets the blade. But the actual problem of the sword is that it's too narrow. Or at least it looks too narrow. Guts' sword is wider than his head. Your sword looks like it's just the center part of Guts' sword. Like if it was missing its edges.

^
If it's not the DS he really should have gone with making a replica of Guts' older swords. Like the one he used in the 100 man battle. Easier to swing and it would only be a bit smaller than his current replica.

thank you all very much for all the feed back.
as for the width it is wider then my head do you mean thickness?.
It originally was a replica but now it is my own weapon you could call it a wannabe DS but
it is now turning into something totally new thats why i am not referring to it as a replica anymore.

as for the word "mastered" I would like to be able to swing it full speed and stop at any point I wish and change directions at will.
in my head i would like to hunt down a bear at some point and feel i stand a fair chance lol
I am fully aware of how ridiculous this idea is but that will make it all the better when i accomplish it ^_^.

what is your idea of mastered if I may ask ?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
thank you all very much for all the feed back.
as for the width it is wider then my head  do you mean thickness?.
He means width, as in it appears to be too narrow.

... I would like to be able to swing it full speed and stop at any point I wish and  change directions at will.
Your bones, tendons and muscles might not be up to that task, dude  :void:

Anyway, I'm more interested in what diabolical architect designed a door in a roof like this that leads to someone's death:

windowwut.jpg

What genius put a door all the way up here ? THIS should be your task. THIS is your quest!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
it is now turning into something totally new thats why i am not referring to it as a replica anymore.

What are you referring it to now?

as for the word "mastered" I would like to be able to swing it full speed and stop at any point I wish and change directions at will.

I doubt you could be able to do that, with the size and weight of your "sword" .

in my head i would like to hunt down a bear at some point and feel i stand a fair chance lol
In my head you are already being mauled by the bear.

yes well that is the task if my body cant take it then I shall destroy myself trying.

lol the door in the sky I will ask them next time I see them does seem like a bad idea to me.

I have no name for it yet I am working on it

I know it sounds impossible but if you don't set your goals high you will never reach your full potential

and yes at this point in my head my the bear kills me to lol.

at this point i can swing it up and down and side to side but not well.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
yes well that is the task if my body cant take it then I shall destroy myself trying.

You just reminded me of when I was 6 and wanted to fly like superman. :schierke: Every post sounds more preposterous than the last one.

Then destroyed you shall be :ganishka:

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
I am fully aware of how ridiculous this idea is but that will make it all the better when i accomplish it ^_^.

what is your idea of mastered if I may ask ?

For me, mastered is knowing the weapon inside out. Every possible swing and every possible defense. Being completely fluent in motion, like if the weapon was an extension of your body. With a sword that big. Its obvious strength is weight.. but can anyone actually exploit that weight. Can you swing through a 2x4 in one swing?

A master is someone who can demonstrate, teach and do just about anything with whatever they are a master of. But it's not just about doing something. It's how you do it. I could probably punch someone in the face.. but it wouldn't mean that I'm a master of punching. A professional boxer will have an entire assortment of punches.. and they are just adept. The master is the coach. the one that's already done it all and is at a point were they are now teaching it. It's obviously more complicated then that, but that is basically what "master' means to me.

Anyway, I think swinging that sword around is just a good way of injuring yourself. I won't even comment on the bear. But I can say that stopping a 100 pound sword in mid-swing will likely damage your wrists, forearms, shoulders, back, knees, heck.. your whole body. Same goes for changing directions at will.

Walter said:
Anyway, I'm more interested in what diabolical architect designed a door in a roof like this that leads to someone's death:

windowwut.jpg

What genius put a door all the way up here ? THIS should be your task. THIS is your quest!

Lol.
I've actually seen a barn like that. There was a door at the top with no stairs or even a ladder below it. Just a door that lead straight out of the roof and most likely.. to a broken leg or worse.

Anyway, are you sure it's a door. It might just be a weird window.

you are 100% right about the master thing I would like to obtain your idea of master
and one day teach others that are crazy enough to try it.
I really like the 2x4 idea and that is my new goal.

I have inspired one of my close friends to get a similar one made up just as big and heavy.
once he gets it made i will have someone to train with and to fight.

he is getting his made in the next 6 months at that time we will upload more pics.
if you guys are intrested in seeing myn in more detail i can put some custom pics up anytime just ask.

I still have some final touches to make to my sword before it is completely to my liking.
I will be doing that in the next 2 months then i will be pumping videos out like crazy.

and yes it is most defiantly a door to a two story drop go figure lol

This is absolutely barking mad. :troll:

That being said, good luck and please be careful. I'd hate to see someone getting injured while swinging one of those steel slabs around. I can already imagine the headlines and the fuss they'd create. I bet someone would try to get Berserk banned... Oh well, it might just add to its popularity. Proceed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Hey there, welcome to SK.net!

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
as far as I know I would be the first real human to wield such a sword.

You've already got competition in the person of Donald Shimoda, I'm afraid. He's forging his own giant sword and intends to master it as well.

SaiyanDevilRazz said:

Sounds like a plan. :badbone:

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
I have inspired one of my close friends to get a similar one made up just as big and heavy.
once he gets it made i will have someone to train with and to fight.

Man, I've got this funny idea that one of you is going to get hurt reaaaaal bad somehow. Be careful and don't try to spar with those slabs of metal. Don't make this into backward wrestling.

SaiyanDevilRazz said:
if you guys are intrested in seeing myn in more detail i can put some custom pics up anytime just ask.

Sure, the more pictures/videos the better.

Aazealh is correct on this one, now listen I'm not going to be mr.negative and say you're crazy, when I began this journey of mine 3-4 years ago I sounded a lot like you are today, and as time went on my dream became more practical and my training much more serious. I haven't yet formally told you guys except Aaz and maybe a few others what I have been doing. So here is my story, I hope you enjoy it, I will be using a lot of pictures to explain my story. I have come a long way, and with more training and practice I will get to where I want to be.

It all started when I was 14-15, I was about 276lbs, very over weight and I had just seen Berserk. I had decided from then on I wanted a giant 200lb sword and I was going to wield it like no other man! I didn't care how long it would take I'd become so strong I'd do it and be better than anyone ever was! I started lifting weights, doing curls with 13lb dumbbells, and over a year I lost 100lbs of fat and became somewhat stronger, probably had a 180bench and all that.

I went from this
le9721ef95cdea67882d3a2.png

to this
david1fj9.png

I lost all the weight, looked good and healthy, and I was a sophomore in high school. I still wanted my giant sword like the Dragon Slayer and I kept planning and revising the design. Until I said okay, maybe a 100lb sword would be adequate. I kept up my weight training and I started getting into metal working/welding, I became a bit stronger junior year, bench went up to around 250, and I was over all bigger.

mba18eee1374f5783da568b2vg.png

We have a nice sized metal shop at our home and I began doing more and more metal work, I kept revising my design of my giant sword I have dubbed "Berserker" at this point. I wanted not only to build my giant sword but also be able to wield it effectively. I kept learning more about swords and black smithing in general. I redesigned it again, now it is similar to the DS, and it is of a realistic weild-able weight of 22lbs. I made a bokken version out of wood and metal, metal handle wooden blade, it weighs 22lbs and I trained with it out outside and continue to do so even today. At this point also I became better at math as well and was able to estimate the weight and size of the blade and everything else. I became more and more interested in black smithing. Now we come to my senior year in high school, during this point I became much larger and stronger, with around a 300 bench, and training a lot with my bokken version of my giant sword which also weighs 22lbs.

l33d815e2d13f9bd8005e43ex9.png

l0e4f9b74a749c0dad26d66nb1.png

(I photoshoped berserker grey and a pointier tip to better represent what it will look like when its made of high carbon steel)
Thats me right before senior year, the bokken weighs 19lbs, a while later I added sheet metal edges and it weighs 22lbs now. I kept up my training throughout senior year and when high school ended I kept up with my training. During this time I also kept building up my tools and learning a lot more about metal work and frabrication. I build my own mechanical forging machine known as a power hammer and designed it with a few things in mind that make it a very good hammer, in my opinion. But I won't get into that as unless you were a smith it'd get kinda tedious.

powerhammer21312ch4.png
this is my hammer before I painted it and added the guard around the spring.

I am currently working on a blasting cabinet so I can remove rust easily. I am also very safe and wear respirators and hearing protection and everything under the sun.

When I train with Berserker outside I try to do as many over head swings without stopping as I can, it took me a long time but I finally made it to 500 with either or hand leading, now I am doing more forearm exercises so hopefully after awhile I can one hand it. I by no means believe I have "mastered" it as it will take many more years of training and experience and fighting other experienced swordsmen before I can feel that I am proficient with my sword. When I do as many over head swings as possible it is not with full force, but I can swing it with full force and stop it before it hits the ground.

This is my weight lifting goal sheet, where I want to get to and where I am right now, also a few more pics of me recently.

//////////////////
Bench Press 74.6%
315x6-20

235X11

//////////////////
Barbell Curl 92%
200x6-20

184x10

//////////////////
Skull Crushers 75.3%
150x6-20

113x12

//////////////////
Parallel Squat 65%
500x6-20s

325x12

//////////////////
Sumo Dead Lift 83%
500x6-20

415x12

//////////////////
LP Calf Raisers 100%
800x32+

800x32+

//////////////////
Berserker Swing
500 100%

184.png

Curls with 184.
handgrip.png

My hands after heavy curls and 500 over head swings with either or hand leading with Berserker.
lbb19aa0b146f43e487d19b.png

Concentration curls with a 68lb dumbbell.

The blade design is as follows, it has a 2ft handle made of 1 inch round bar, the sword it self is 8ft long. to imagine the blade, you'd take a piece of 10inch by 1/4 thick slab of metal, by 6ft long, and at the end center 4 inches, and make a distal taper from the 10 inches at the beginning to each corner of the centered 4 inches at the end, then you divide the blade into 6 1 ft sections, the last 1 ft section start at the 2 points of the beginning of that section, and at the end where the 4 inches are (in the middle of the 4 inches) would be the tip, and its tapered to the end or stabbing point. Then the whole blade is a double sided flat grind, and the thickness of the blade may or may not I haven't decided yet start out at the begging of the blade being 1/4 inch thick, and the end be 1/8th to reduce the weight further and tip the point of balance of the sword more toward the hilt making it even easier to wield.

A man by the name of Shawn Zemba has helped me tremendously along my way, giving my advice and such and just being an amazing friend and teacher. He too once wanted to wield a giant sword but gave it up as he believed it to be impractical.

What I would suggest you do is, start lifting weights, get stronger. Buy some books on blade smithing and figure out a better design for your sword. anything over 30-40lbs is impossible to effectively wield in my opinion unless you took steroids and are as strong as Paul Anderson. Yes you can pick up your 100lb sword and maybe smash it down, I've seen vids of a guy doing that with a 100lb hammer, but you will not be fast enough. When I do my over head swings it takes me about 1 second I estimate to go from down to back up. Get these ideas of fighting bears and cutting cars in half out of your head, and if you're really serious about this I will help you. I started out that way so I understand, but if you're really serious about this, you MUST be prepared to put a lot of effort and work into this. I've done all this and come so far, and even I don't feel I've "mastered" it, I've gotten better and come a long way, but I still have much further to go.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Man, all this training looks like a lot of work. If your heart is still burning for that dream, my advice is to start looking at Fortune Telling shops for one of these little babies
star.gif

You might want to make a small post in the official weightloss/gain thread linking to your post here. Since your work out is pretty intense. Those calluses say all that really needs to be said as far as I'm concerned. Well done, Donald Shimoda.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Is that 315 6 times 20 sets? Followed by 235 11 times 1 set? or is that 20 sets as well?

no no the number on the top is the goal, the number under it is where I am now, and it doesn't really describe what I do, for working out in numbers of sets or w/e. Its a goal sheet. the number next to 315 and 235 are the reps. For example the goal is to be able to bench 315 for like 6-20reps 6to20, I am at 235 for 11 now. The percentage sign is the percentage I am to the goal.

Top Bottom