New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is all unconfirmed chatter among japanese viewers right now. We'll know more official stuff soon. Right now I'm not even sure what was shown on screen... I read something vague about Guts fighting Grunberd, but I don't trust the source further than I can spit.

But ... early reports on the first commercial that aired today on NTV were that it is an animated project for television (so, not OVA and not 3D/CG), being produced by STUDIO4℃, who generally does OVA type productions, but have also done some TV (see their full works here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_4%C2%B0C). In the west theyre known for doing things like the Animatrix shorts, and Halo Legends. They also recently did an OVA for Detroit Metal City, another Young Animal series.

*Unconfirmed info.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, according to some Japanese guy on Twitter it could be in full CG and is being made with motion capture. Guy says he heard it from the source, but there's no guarantee it's true.
Hopefully, this is not true. I know it is a rumor. But Berserk in full CG can't look good. It doesn't fit together, not now. maybe in 10 years when cg is able to create more plastic surfaces etc. etc.

Walter said:
Early reports on the first commercial that aired today on NTV were that it is an animated project for television (so, not OVA and not 3D/CG), being produced by STUDIO4℃, who generally does OVA type productions, but have also done some TV (see their full works here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_4%C2%B0C).
Studio 4°C is very neat. They are graphically very experimental and talented!

Walter said:
But ... early reports on the first commercial that aired today on NTV were that it is an animated project for television (so, not OVA and not 3D/CG), being produced by STUDIO4℃

Weren't Studio 4°C the creative team who were brought up in the rumour mill last year? I appreciate their work on the Animatrix, I just wonder what style they intend to use to bring Berserk to life.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
Weren't Studio 4°C the creative team who were brought up in the rumour mill last year?
Just to be clear, what I posted are still just rumors, just as much as they were before. It's all chatter and speculation until we see something official. And it's looking like this chatter is 90% bullshit too. More on that later...

The trouble is in deciphering tangible news on Japanese forums. The signal to noise ratio is just awful, even with the language barrier aside. Finding anything definitive said about the commercial right now is next to impossible amid all the misunderstandings and speculation. Some people claim to have seen it, others are clearly lying about content in it, and some are purporting things to be facts that have already been disproven.

With all that on the table, I'm just not going to post any more "news" until it truly is news.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
kaimera said:
Hopefully, this is not true. I know it is a rumor. But Berserk in full CG can't look good. It doesn't fit together, not now. maybe in 10 years when cg is able to create more plastic surfaces etc. etc.

To be clear, the commercials are allegedly in CG and were done using motion capture. They're to promote the series as a whole, but there's no guarantee they're taken from the new animation project. Some Japanese people think so, but it's not a 100% sure thing or anything. Apparently the first one showed Guts & Griffith, possibly on the Hill of Swords.

JezzaX said:
I see, so it's probably just been brought back to life again from that previous rumour.

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't lend it too much credit for the time being. Let's be cautious and wait for pictures or the actual video.

Pictures of the first commercial:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4783/1285695494040.jpg

They look like the leaked pictures from those last rumors. Whoa!

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Oh it's real. Very real.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12264010

誰も見た事のない... ベルセルク
"Nobody has ever seen this before.... Berserk" I think. Thanks, Gackt.

Go to http://mmcafe.com/nico.html and type in this url: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12264010

Edit- alternate video before inevitable YouTube? Nvm. Here's the YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lihPs4BoDvo

Eluvei said:
These pictures just surfaced on 4chan, can't confirm if it's real:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4783/1285695494040.jpg

They look like the leaked pictures from those last rumors. Whoa!

Very close in fact. Maybe that rumour was in fact true?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I just saw it myself. It's very brief, and it's a promotion for vol 35.

The animation is from various portions of the manga, as you can see from the picture. Hard to say what period it's all from. Starts with Griffith reincarnated, then shifts to what looks like Guts circa vol 16, yet he's wearing armor from v17+. Then cuts to he and Griff's duel in the snow from v8. So... it's all over the place.

I understand it's logical to jump to the conclusion that these clips are what the anime project will look like, but that hasn't been confirmed. Right now it's just ads for volume 35.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Oh maaan. That shot of Griffith has me feeling optimistic, but it's still kind of difficult to gauge the quality based on such short clips. I'm very curious about what else we'll be seeing in the next few weeks. :daiba:

This has got me excited to see what else comes up in the online commercials over the next few days. I know things aren't on complete top form yet and we can't believe that this is fully representative of the new anime series (I can understand why people would think that) but I want to see more

This TV spot looks awesome, wow, I'm impressed. And it kinda reminds me of those fake screenshots that was all over the web a year ago. Maybe they weren't a fake after all.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Madam President said:
Thank you for making my week, SkullKnight.net. <3!

SK.net and Berserk in gerneral has been making my month! Japanese vol 35, english vol 34, Art of War Serpico, new episode set for Oct 8th, and now a new animation. To top it all off, my bank owes me 160 bucks! Life is good!

On topic,

That commercial looks promising, I hope the real animation is at least that quality. I was really feeling the way Griffith looked, but Guts' face looked a little chunky to me. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, now I have to say this whole issue is pretty confusing. Pretty bad PR from Young Animal in my opinion.

When the news first broke out and there was also this deal about new commercials, I was worried that the "anime" might refer to just that: a few commercials. But the wording used on the cover slip of volume 35 really seems to hint at a real new anime. Even Japanese people think so. But the fact they're just using the footage, seemingly at random, to advertize the series kind of worries me. Could that just be it? Why aren't they communicating more openly and clearly stating what they're doing?

Are they trying to kill 2 birds with one stone (advertizing both a new anime and volume 35) or are they just shamefully getting people excited for nothing? Like I said, I find their communication way too confusing.

Aazealh said:
Ok, now I have to say this whole issue is pretty confusing. Pretty bad PR from Young Animal in my opinion.

When the news first broke out and there was also this deal about new commercials, I was worried that the "anime" might refer to just that: a few commercials. But the wording used on the cover slip of volume 35 really seems to hint at a real new anime. Even Japanese people think so. But the fact they're just using the footage, seemingly at random, to advertize the series kind of worries me. Could that just be it? Why aren't they communicating more openly and clearly stating what they're doing?

This further raises our fears about it being misinterpreted Aaz. Hopefully more will be uncovered as the week goes on. It would be a real shame to put our hopes up only to let them down again :farnese:

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Aazealh said:
Ok, now I have to say this whole issue is very confusing.

I agree, lots of confusion.

If I were smart I would just stay away from this thread and come back in a week or two to get the real truth on the matter. But where's the fun in that!

I was very skeptical at first, but after seeing relatively overwhelming evidence, I finally got pretty excited. I'm still optimistic and think they are just getting a 'buy one get one free' deal with this add campaign.

I think it would be very odd to go all out on this ad campaign just for volume 35, surely there must be more to it than that? It's such a big amount of time and effort spent on a single volume. Also the fact that the young animal web site is being revamped with new sections, including a 'coming soon' tab makes me quietly confident.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
This further raises our fears about it being misinterpreted Aaz. Hopefully more will be uncovered as the week goes on. It would be a real shame to put our hopes up only to let them down again :farnese:

Yeah I know, but honestly the fault lies with the Young Animal staff here. Their announcement on the cover of volume 35 was taken by everybody to mean that a proper animation project was being started, including Japanese fans, but all we're getting right now are these ads that tell us nothing. No other mention of an anime besides that. It might be simple teasing, but it strikes me as being needlessly ambiguous.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
It seems strange to me the they would even bother making an add campaign, and then releasing the commercials the day before volume 35 is set to be released. If it were just for the new volume wouldn't we have seen some signs of these adds a few weeks ago?

Maybe, maybe not I guess.

Aazealh said:
Yeah I know, but honestly the fault lies with the Young Animal staff here. Their announcement on the cover of volume 35 was taken by everybody to mean that a proper animation project was being started, including Japanese fans, but all we're getting right now are these ads that tell us nothing. No other mention of an anime besides that. It might be simple teasing, but it strikes me as being needlessly ambiguous.

I would still like to keep an ounce of optimism. The fact this looks a lot like those supposed leaked images from last year leads me to believe they have been working on this project for a while and it just seems a little strange to focus all this effort on 15 second shorts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I would still like to keep an ounce of optimism. The fact this looks a lot like those supposed leaked images from last year leads me to believe they have been working on this project for a while and it just seems a little strange to focus all this effort on 15 second shorts.

I agree, and like Jesterhead says, why advertize the anime project on the cover of volume 35 if the anime project is just some ads for volume 35? Would make no sense. So in that regard I remain optimistic as well, and I think there is a real project behind it. I just can't help but find their marketing very sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom