New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Yeah I also liked him in this. I dunno though, I can see how he might be able to pull off Griffith, but he sounds a little too rough for the part to me.

This is Gackt we're talking about, so I'm sure he'd have no problem softening his voice if he needed to.

Walter said:
If they do end up changing the VAs though, I'd like Guts to be voiced by someone who can fill his 6 foot frame. The former voice actor, while nailing the rough tone, always sounded too high-pitched when he was screaming (RAAAAH instead of ROOOUUUAAAHHHH if that makes any sense :farnese: ).

Hmm I don't know, out of all the voice actors, he's the one I liked the most I think.

PublicEnemy said:
The commercial doesn't even have nothing to do with Volume 35. My prediction is their will be an animated series and its going to be a remake of the first season and have more of course.

Thanks for your insight.

PublicEnemy said:
The style of animation is a thousand times better than the old anime.

Unfortunately, nothing in there strikes me as being a "thousand times better" than the 1997 series. Not even twice better actually.

PublicEnemy said:
The voice actor for Guts in the English dub was very good. Actually, everyone in the English dub sounded and performed great.

I never understood how anyone could think they were even remotely close to tolerable, let alone good. That English dub is just appalling. It's like a parody.

Lara Skadi said:
The only thing that bothers me is that if it`s supposed to be the scene Guts left the Hawks, it`s just wrong :azan: Guts wasnt wearing an armor! Plus, Griffith`s sword doesnt look broken, but there`s not enough to tell, really....

That's indeed the scene it's depicting. It couldn't possibly be another one. And like I pointed out earlier there are other inaccuracies in the footage, and some pretty big ones at that.

berserkfan said:
Does anyone else think that (assuming there is an anime series in progress of being made) the reason after all these years they've finally decided to make a new animation series is its because the mangas getting closer to being complete?? If they're really planning on revamping it from the beginning then it may be because they think they have more then enough material to work with. Miuras probably even met up with the studio heads and given them an estimate of when the manga might be done, so that by the time they get around to the current arc the manga will probably either be done or atleast 90% finished. What do you guys think??

I don't think that's going to happen. First, we don't know what they're planning to do. Nothing guarantees they'll try to adapt the whole series (if they did, I think the end of the Millennium Falcon arc would be the perfect place to stop). Second, the manga won't be 90% done any time soon. There's absolutely no way they could start a project now and still be going without having stopped by the time the manga reaches its end.

berserkfan said:
If the anime series goes on for several years (since they do have alot of stuff to cover), then it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that he'd be done atleast an additional 20% of the manga by the time the anime gets around to fantasia arc.

Yes it would be a stretch. Berserk has been going on for over 20 years now, and it's not being released any faster than it used to be. I'll say it again: we don't know anything about this new project for now, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

PublicEnemy said:
Being on the front page of Young Animal pretty much confirms its going to happen now. What more confirmation do you need lol.

It's just the same thing that was on volume 35's cover. Nothing new.

Eluvei said:
Anyway, the source of the news posted on Anime News Network does not seem to mention any kind of anime series as well (can anyone that speaks Japanese confirm this?) http://natalie.mu/comic/news/38251

Like Walter said I posted about this on page 1 of the thread, before ANN updated their article with it. It's what made me wary of this whole business in the first place.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
When I initally began to doubt the actual existence of the new animation, I was actually met with relief, rather than disappointment.

Last night (while stuck in traffic/construction :mozgus:) I was thinking about how this new animation would fit into the current Berserk franchise. Right now us fans have arguably the best manga being published, an obviously dedicated writer, some very nice merchandise etc, etc... And now that I think about it, I kind of want it to stay that way. Yes, the new animation would be damn cool to watch, and it would be a great new way to represent Miuras story. Berserk would, without a doubt, become more popular than it ever was.

Personally, I am very content with the state that Berserk is in right now. With so many moe blob anime and typical shounen manga being published, Berserk has managed to pull itself away from the stereotypes of its chosen media. Through its detailed art work, and genuine story Miura has brought Berserk into a league of its own. While Berserk by no means has a small fan base, it is relatively tiny compared to some other monstrous manga/anime out there at the moment. Those fans who truly enjoy the series and actively discuss it on websites like SK.net are dedicated and genuinely respectful and thankful for the franchise.

Though Berserk has a lot of fans, it doesn't feel like some huge untouchable topic. When a company like Art of War reaches out to the fans asking them what new statue they would like to see next, and honestly receiving and processing that feedback, speaks volumes in my opinion. Clearly they respect the manga, and the fans opinions on it. This and the fact that Berserk isn't the most popular manga around makes the whole franchise and community feel very small and connected. I've only been reading Berserk for the last year now, but I feel more attached to the development of the franchise than to novel series I've been reading for say, five years. Though I am a new fan to the franchise, I get a very 'down to earth' and personal feel from the fan base.

Just as the some companies within the franchise are dedicated, so are the fans. It honestly makes me proud to be a fan of Berserk when I see projects like 1:1 helmet replicas, custom sculptures and the new "Berserk Anime Recut" project. There are many talented people out there who want to take time out of their busy days to help improve something they love. It's like they are writing their own additions to the Berserk story. That is such a great thing!

Right now, to me, Berserk feels like my own little book I can carry around in my pocket which I can pull out and read whenever I like and have the option to write a little bit in the back or margins myself. (If I was a little bit more artistically gifted!)

What I fear, with this new animation is that that book will soon be too big to just be able to carry around in my back pocket. I honestly think Berserk is in a great balance right now, and I'm not sure what the new animation will do to it. Worse case scenario that everyone and their dog now "loves" Berserk. I'm afraid that this will make Berserk a little bit less special, and that who ever is involved with the new animation just might not treat it with the same respect that a lot of us do now. The last thing I want to see is something like GoodSmileComany making a Casca figma, or Megahouse starting to produce PVC Berserk figures. I think half the reason I like Berserk is because it's that great story that few people know about.

Now, thats not to say that I won't keep loving the manga or franchise after the (possible) new animation airs, or that this new animation will "ruin" Berserk or anything.

I know this is a pretty selfish thing to say, but I can't help it. It always bothers me when something I like (novels, comic, musical groups, etc...) gets to big for it to have that special feel to it. And theres even no guarantee that that will happen even if the new animation does go through.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I'm almost completely neutral towards this new project at the moment. I'm neither apprehensive nor excited. I'll wait to know more before forming an opinion (shocking, I know). I just hope they'll pour enough money and talent into it to make it good.

Jesterhead said:
I'm afraid that this will make Berserk a little bit less special, and that who ever is involved with the new animation just might not treat it with the same respect that a lot of us do now.

You know, compared to us most people on the Internet do not treat Berserk or its author with any respect at all. In that regard a new anime would not change too many things. Even if it doesn't do it justice, what difference will it make? The 1997 TV series didn't do it justice either (but it brought most of us into the series and it would be unfair to disregard that fact). Berserk will always be Berserk, nothing will change that. And as far as the fan base goes, SK.net won't change either.

I am completly positive about this new project. If anything it will be good entertainment during manga breaks and whatnot. The 1997 anime has brought many to the manga (incl. me) and if the new anime can do that and maybe beyond it's gonna be awesome. Hopefully the animation studio are more true to this project.

Jesterhead: I can't see how a new anime should change anything at all? If you are worried about thousands of naruto fans and trolls coming on SK.net because the anime will be a succes then I think Aazealh will have the banhammer ready :troll:

@Jesterhead
I feel completey different and I personally hate such attitude. I'm into all kinds of alternative music and it really makes me mad/sad when people hipsters say "I liked Band XYZ much better before everyone else started listening to them" or "Was that Band XYZ's song in that commercial? I didn't know they were so burned". I can understand the reasons for such attitude since everyone likes to feel special and be a part of something that feels like it's only their own and to be honest I sometimes too have such feelings, but I think it's more reasonable to be happy when my favourite bands/authors get more exposure. That means more potential fans, more copies sold and more money. Financial stability in turn translates into artistic integrity and quality of the creator's work since he/she is not forced to look for more profitable jobs or adapt the main source of income to be more profitable. Unless of course money becomes the creator's only goal, but I doubt that it will ever be a case with Berserk :guts:
I also doubt that the sudden rise in popularity will change the core fanbase.

As for the new anime itself I'm fairly optimistic, but I'm waiting for more official information before I start stating more opinions.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Dembol said:
@Jesterhead
I feel completey different and I personally hate such attitude.

I can understand that. Like I said, my thoughts were very selfish. Saying that, if the new animation does happen, I'm going to watch it/buy it, and probably like it. Whether it's good or bad I'll hold no bitterness against it. I'm just saying I am very content with the franchise right now.

asic said:
Jesterhead: I can't see how a new anime should change anything at all? If you are worried about thousands of naruto fans and trolls coming on SK.net because the anime will be a succes then I think Aazealh will have the banhammer ready :troll:

It's not so much that I don't want new fans or trolling, its just that I think my personal opinion will change (not for the worse) when Berserk can't be small enough to be my own little thing.

But of course, like I said my fears are sort of a 'worse case scenario', and theres a damn good chance that they won't be that bad. Like Aaz said, Berserk will always be Berserk.

Aazealh said:
You know, compared to us most people on the Internet do not treat Berserk or its author with any respect at all. In that regard a new anime would not change too many things. Even if it doesn't do it justice, what difference will it make? The 1997 TV series didn't do it justice either (but it brought most of us into the series and it would be unfair to disregard that fact). Berserk will always be Berserk, nothing will change that. And as far as the fan base goes, SK.net won't change either.
I second that! And the fact that it won't be like the manga is clear to me. You would need a very high budget to realize a very true to the manga anime version, lots of time and talent. So why don't script the story in to another direction and i think they will manage something likeable. But a interpretation of your beloved story is everytime a very interesting thing. So any approach on the berserk story is interesting to me. the best example of a film adaption is lord of the rings. The movies are amazing. They are superb. Even though they never covered every part of the books, never reached the depth of the original story. they were amazing. the only thing you could worry about is that more will just look the movies but don't read the original story. but that's highly doubtful

kaimera said:
I second that! And the fact that it won't be like the manga is clear to me. You would need a very high budget to realize a very true to the manga anime version, lots of time and talent. So why don't script the story in to another direction and i think they will manage something likeable. But a interpretation of your beloved story is everytime a very interesting thing. So any approach on the berserk story is interesting to me. the best example of a film adaption is lord of the rings. The movies are amazing. They are superb. Even though they never covered every part of the books, never reached the depth of the original story. they were amazing. the only thing you could worry about is that more will just look the movies but don't read the original story. but that's highly doubtful

The Lord of the Rings films were still far, far more faithful to the original work than the average film adaptation, though (see Dragonball Evolution). Standard procedure would have been to take a few elements from all three books and randomly sprinkle them into a single 120-minute film with similar character names and few other similarities... probably in a modern-day setting.

Sven Viking said:
They were also far more faithful to the original work than the vast majority of film adaptations, though (see Dragonball Evolution). Normal procedure would have been to take a few elements from all three books and randomly sprinkle them into a single 120-minute film using similar character names, probably in a modern-day setting.
That's right, but you can't possible expect the most faithful version. I mean, the most faithful version to lord of the rings were maybe 4-6 films. But that wouldn't be the best cinema experience. I just wanted to express the fact that there wouldn't be a very true anime version of berserk, i think it is impossible. But it can be very true to the anime with a scope of own development. It just was important to me, because i had the feeling there are many that hope for the most true anime version.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
After watching the commercial several times now, I have to comment on the music. It's absolutely beautiful and reminds me a bit of Hirasawa's "Guts" from Kenpu Denki Berserk's soundtrack. Does anyone know what it's from? Is it an original piece made specifically for the commercial/upcoming anime?

kaimera said:
That's right, but you can't possible expect the most faithful version. I mean, the most faithful version to lord of the rings were maybe 4-6 films. But that wouldn't be the best cinema experience. I just wanted to express the fact that there wouldn't be a very true anime version of berserk, i think it is impossible. But it can be very true to the anime with a scope of own development. It just was important to me, because i had the feeling there are many that hope for the most true anime version.

If it's mostly 3d animation and motion capture it might be possible to stay true all the way. It's faster to produce episodes and with Berserk being so epic it's not a bad choice. I mostly enjoy 2d anime but the footage from the commercial looks pretty good and very 2d'ish so who knows. I know im way too optimistic

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Jesterhead said:
I can understand that. Like I said, my thoughts were very selfish. Saying that, if the new animation does happen, I'm going to watch it/buy it, and probably like it. Whether it's good or bad I'll hold no bitterness against it. I'm just saying I am very content with the franchise right now.

It's not so much that I don't want new fans or trolling, its just that I think my personal opinion will change (not for the worse) when Berserk can't be small enough to be my own little thing.

But of course, like I said my fears are sort of a 'worse case scenario', and theres a damn good chance that they won't be that bad. Like Aaz said, Berserk will always be Berserk.

I can kind of understand your feelings here. I've gone through this with a lot of bands and whatever, where they become popular. At first it left a bad taste in my mouth, like it wasn't the same that more people were experiencing something I enjoyed. Unfortunately fame can ruin a franchise, see Bleach, Naruto, Inuyasha, who are doomed to be milked into 1000's of episodes, with no coherent story in mind.

Berserk is a different story though. It's creator is so heartfelt about the story, I don't think anything will change the course of it's authenticity. An anime, regardless of how popular it is won't change that, or what the story means to me. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I will like what I like, simply because I like it.

I will disregard it's popularity, if it's got millions of fans, cool! What the hell is this? That's cool too! It's a much healthier frame of mind. Don't worry, I can understand your concern but I don't think there's any need to worry. If anything, an anime will ensure that we get to see the Manga through to it's completion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Berserk_Project twitter had several new posts this morning, mostly about the next commercial's airing schedule. Nothing too interesting, but look for the next commercial to show up on the net anytime now.

They also posted a poster promoting the "new animation project" : http://twitpic.com/2t2381 Again, no new information. Same as the slipcover.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Jesterhead said:
What I fear, with this new animation is that that book will soon be too big to just be able to carry around in my back pocket. I honestly think Berserk is in a great balance right now, and I'm not sure what the new animation will do to it. Worse case scenario that everyone and their dog now "loves" Berserk. I'm afraid that this will make Berserk a little bit less special, and that who ever is involved with the new animation just might not treat it with the same respect that a lot of us do now. The last thing I want to see is something like GoodSmileComany making a Casca figma, or Megahouse starting to produce PVC Berserk figures. I think half the reason I like Berserk is because it's that great story that few people know about.
Like other people who have replied to you, they can relate this problem with a music group or artist, myself included. I'm all about underground hip-hop and such, and what I used to fear was the "MTV" effect (when an underground artist goes mainstream, radio, tv, etc..), when one of my favorite artists went on MTV I thought
"Oh no.. why did he sell out :sad: "
after a week, people all over my school started listening to him, and i hated it, it no longer felt special, like sitting at your desk, and someone saying
"Hey you listen to Slug too? :guts: "
it felt unique, I'm sure its like running into a person with a brand on his neck on the streets.
"You got a brand on your neck?! Me too!" *high five*
It wouldn't be unique if everybody had a brand now would it.

I had a change of heart after I watched one of Slug's interviews. He said that he remains grateful to his core fan base who supported him since the beginning, and he said
"I'm and artist, what artist wouldn't want his work to be seen by all"

so im sure Miura deserves and wants to have his 'art' seen just like any other artist would, not just kept in cave where only a few know it exists.
I'm sure when you were in kindergarten and you made something in arts & crafts, you were excited to show it to everyone in the world. (same concept)
since then I have learned to be supportive of unknown artist's success as long as they don't change their formula (Kanye West I'm looking at you :puck: ).

So as long as Miura stays true to himself, and not be swayed by the influence of others, I'm sure we wont have to worry about Berserk getting corrupted by the mainstream attention.

grr this still seems sloppy, oh well. ZzzzZz

Wow. Just seen this now, very happy indeed. The main reason for my happiness is, of course, because that means more Hirasawa goodness for us. :ubik:

Hopefully this series will remain more focused, less cuts and far better animation quality. I'm especially looking forward to seeing certain favourite characters turning up (Silat, Mozgus, Rakshas, Azan, Ganishka you get the idea and a very certain character that should have been included the first time around :SK: [Puck too])

I sincerely hope Miura maintains creative control throughout the production and ensures the quality, the guy is going to be busy (probably has been already working on it).

Aphasia

Truder said:
so im sure Miura deserves and wants to have his 'art' seen just like any other artist would, not just kept in cave where only a few know it exists.
I'm sure when you were in kindergarten and you made something in arts & crafts, you were excited to show it to everyone in the world. (same concept)
since then I have learned to be supportive of unknown artist's success as long as they don't change their formula (Kanye West I'm looking at you :puck: ).

So as long as Miura stays true to himself, and not be swayed by the influence of others, I'm sure we wont have to worry about Berserk getting corrupted by the mainstream attention.

Good Point! You've just given me a fantastic idea. Wait for it...Berserk Macaroni art. : D

Thanks for keeping everyone updated, Walter! That poster art looks really cool in higher resolution.

Michael Bell as Guts. :guts:
He's my favourite interpretation of the character yet. Sarcastic, cynical tone of voice that I often imagine what Guts should sound like, when reading the manga (I do like the Japanese voice actor for Guts too, but as that isn't my mother tongue, I can only think of Bell's voice when reading Guts' lines).

Somebody else mentioned the narrator/Void from the original anime's English dub, he was indeed the best part of the that particular dub.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kyoke said:
So are you guys ready for the influx of people who used to visit here and haven't done so in years? *points at self* :schnoz:
Yeah... it's been an enlightening experience for me about most members' priorities when it comes to Berserk.

SK attacks Femto, we see the Berserk world from outer space. Who cares!
SKnet lands an interview with Miura? Meehhhhh.
But, SEAZON 2!?? :schnoz: :rakshas: :isidro: :???:

Walter said:
Yeah... it's been an enlightening experience for me about most members' priorities when it comes to Berserk.

Now don't be like that Wally... I've been following the manga a bit slower than darkhorse has been pumping them out, but I still follow it. I just kinda stopped visiting the community... It's not like it was plastered all over the internet when you guys landed that interview with Miura... :p

But the fact that the video and the news don't really give anything and this is the best fan site for Berserk I have ever known made me want to come back and see what you guys were saying about it... I actually read the whole thread and lurked a bit before I decided to try to remember my password and log in.

But cheers and kudos to you guys. It makes me happy to know the site is still around and you guys got that interview! ^_^

and just to remember old times... *drinks sake* lol

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
kaimera said:
I second that! And the fact that it won't be like the manga is clear to me. You would need a very high budget to realize a very true to the manga anime version, lots of time and talent. So why don't script the story in to another direction and i think they will manage something likeable. But a interpretation of your beloved story is everytime a very interesting thing. So any approach on the berserk story is interesting to me.

Personally I'd want them to do it the hard way rather than to deviate from the manga's storyline.

Walter said:
They also posted a poster promoting the "new animation project" : http://twitpic.com/2t2381 Again, no new information. Same as the slipcover.

Haha man, they've really just tacked it on the volume 35 promotional poster. Cutting corners I guess. Same with the TV commercials?

Truder said:
I'm sure we wont have to worry about Berserk getting corrupted by the mainstream attention.

Berserk's sold over 24 million volumes in Japan only. It's not exactly underground.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Reminds me, in the Twitter post regarding that poster, the update reads as follows: "少し光って見づらいですが、書店さんに貼られるB2ポスターです!!ついに始まった!! "

Translating (roughly) to: "It is hard to see a little bit shiny to be posted on the bookstore's B2 poster! ! Finally started! !"

So, the anime project has finally started, guys! :carcus: He could be referring to the volume sale though... but that would be weird, wouldn't it?

Aphasia

Aazealh said:
Haha man, they've really just tacked it on the volume 35 promotional poster. Cutting corners I guess. Same with the TV commercials?

Berserk's sold over 24 million volumes in Japan only. It's not exactly underground.

Do you know how many the US has sold by comparison? I see Berserk on manga shelves only occasionally. Usually it's XxFruityholic Vampire lovexX stuff.

Walter said:

Hah, well cut them some slack. Reading is physically and mentally grueling. It entails reaching out, turning the page, and using your eyes and brain to decipher the code on the page. With an anime, one is free to enter a semi-vegetable state. Things like subtle story details get in the way of the blood and sex!

So, if this 2nd video doesn't show up soon, I'm going to pick up one of my statues and throw it across the room...

...no I'm joking. But seriously! I NEED CM2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom