New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
NeoGAF's duckroll noticed something interesting:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23646121&postcount=516 said:
Berserk is probably a movie. At least, I see no reason why anything which is not going to be screened theatrically would have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1.

It could mean it's a movie. Or, of course, that they simply went with this aspect ratio on the test footage of years ago for no special reason, etc.

Still interesting!

Oburi

All praise Grail
I still got say that the first commercial with Griffith is the best. Notice that bird flying in the background? That's the kind of detail I like to see and it leads me to think that this might be more than just a tv series.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
My biggest concern, regarding this new animation project, would be "pacing" above anything else. Right now, we have so much content that needs to be animated to achieve a "perfect" adaption. It's rather unlikely that the animation staff can really pull this off without omitting certain scenes. Seriously, it would be hard to achieve within several seasons and there's no definite information regarding the initial run time of the new show. It would certainly be great if we could get full seasons for every new arc. That would do Berserk some well deserved justice, i guess.

Damn those short clips are freaking horrible. :ganishka: Wind and snow is flying around in a true Dragonball Z sonic boom fashion, Zodd is flapping his wings a little bit and going up like an elevator, Casca has leaves on her that could only stick if Guts glued them on her body... next thing you know they're releasing a heavily censored version in order to reach a broader audience and all the gore and rape stuff has changed. The most controversial part of the anime will be when Femto steals Guts and Casca's 5-year-old boy and takes control of his body by using mind powers.

More seriously, if they were only doing a part of the manga, I think focusing on the Kushan invasion would make for a coherent story with a satisfying ending, even if one isn't familiar with the rest of Berserk. Start around Femto's incarnation, and finish with Ganishka's demise and the merging of the worlds.

But whatever they make, it's great to see Berserk animated again after such a long time. Whether it's good or bad it should be fun to watch with the right mindset. =)

Aazealh said:
The 1997 TV series had its fair share of nudity. Regardless, this sort of stuff really isn't what matters most...

If they redo the episodes I hope they put back in that crack Guts makes about Caska "biting it off" when Adon and his henchmen confront them. I was laughing my ass off at that panel and Caska hits him.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
The 1997 TV series had its fair share of nudity. Regardless, this sort of stuff really isn't what matters most...

Exactly. What matters most is that they're faithful to the story.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
PublicEnemy said:
The Conviction arc is going to suck if they follow the rules of censorship.

Not necessarily. A lot can be done off screen or through implication. It's not like there would be no blood at all, either.

Since Berserk would have to be like what? Around 170 episodes or so to catch up to where it is now in the manga, I was wondering if there has even been an OVA series that has lasted around that many episodes? This is of course if there actually will be a new series.

P

Pez

BloodTalon said:
Since Berserk would have to be like what? Around 170 episodes or so to catch up to where it is now in the manga, I was wondering if there has even been an OVA series that has lasted around that many episodes? This is of course if there actually will be a new series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes

160+ OVA's

They do not generally last that long, but it is not unheard of.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Does she look older to you for that scene?

Hmm, maybe a bit, yeah. It didn't shock me (unlike those leaves that are nothing like what Guts covers her with in the manga), but the clip is too short to get a good idea.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
It didn't shock me (unlike those leaves that are nothing like what Guts covers her with in the manga), but the clip is too short to get a good idea.

Yeah, she's covered with ferns in the manga when we see her waking up, and while the clip is too short to make too many assumptions, I assume she's telling Guts her backstory, which she should be doing while wearing Guts' shirt, not leaves/ferns. If this isn't test footage, they're off to a bad start already. :iva:

Hopefully they show more of Guts childhood and how Gambino sold him to Donovan to give the viewer a more in-depth view of why he hates being touched in this new anime. Guts whole shtick about it in the 1997 anime felt really vague. Also Wyald dude is the man his volume was definitely the best foreshadowing and will be an awesome addition to the anime. What I'm looking forward to most in this new series is the "Guardians of desire" anime adaptation. :ubik:

PublicEnemy said:
The Conviction arc is going to suck if they follow the rules of censorship.

They'll probably only show 5-10 seconds of the nude fest then cutaway after showing the orgasmic faces of some pagans. I wouldn't be too negative about it; the 1997 TV series did a good job handling graphic scenes of the series.

Oh sweet lord yes! You dont need to say anything else to convince me about it. I'm there!

So far having watched the trailers I am quite impressed with what I see so far, this series definetly has some new life breathed into it as well. I just hope that since this new show is confirmed that Susumu Hirasawa will come back and do the soundtrack again, because him and berserk went so well together I cant hear anyone else do forces. But thats only if this new Berserk is even going to have Forces in or not.

I have a great deal of hope riding on this show, We've been asking for this for a long time. Now lets see if our prayers get answered.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Skullgrin140 said:
So far having watched the trailers I am quite impressed with what I see so far, this series definetly has some new life breathed into it as well. I just hope that since this new show is confirmed that Susumu Hirasawa will come back and do the soundtrack again, because him and berserk went so well together I cant hear anyone else do forces. But thats only if this new Berserk is even going to have Forces in or not.

If (and it's a big "if" still) we end up getting some sort of series or OVA, I think the chances are at least pretty good for Hirasawa to provide the music. Let's take a look at the track record for Berserk properties so far:

TV anime - Kenpuu Denki Berserk - 1997 - OST by Susumu Hirasawa
Dreamcast game - Berserk: Millennium Falcon Hen Wasurebana no Shou - 1999 - OST by Susumu Hirasawa
PS2 game - Berserk: Millennium Falcon Hen Seima Senki no Shou - 2004 - Opening/Ending by Susumu Hirasawa

Hirasawa has put out for Berserk every time so far, over a 7-year spread. (Though admittedly his work on the PS2 game was more limited in scope.) It at least seems logical that he would continue to do so, 6 years later. But we will see as time progresses, anyhow.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
So what do you guys think the chances of getting the original VAs back is? They were all in the PS2 game right?

And on a more far-off note, what about the US VAs? I actually liked most of them and would love to get them back if this hypothetical new anime gets dubbed. Does anyone know if they're still working for Media Blasters?(assuming Media Blasters would dub another Berserk series)

Graywords said:
If (and it's a big "if" still) we end up getting some sort of series or OVA, I think the chances are at least pretty good for Hirasawa to provide the music. Let's take a look at the track record for Berserk properties so far:

TV anime - Kenpuu Denki Berserk - 1997 - OST by Susumu Hirasawa
Dreamcast game - Berserk: Millennium Falcon Hen Wasurebana no Shou - 1999 - OST by Susumu Hirasawa
PS2 game - Berserk: Millennium Falcon Hen Seima Senki no Shou - 2004 - Opening/Ending by Susumu Hirasawa

Hirasawa has put out for Berserk every time so far, over a 7-year spread. (Though admittedly his work on the PS2 game was more limited in scope.) It at least seems logical that he would continue to do so, 6 years later. But we will see as time progresses, anyhow.

Definitely, One thing I am dreading that this show doesn’t do is go completely stupid and have some J-popish music thrown into it. J-pop and Berserk dont mix whatsoever, On the other hand I've seen Gackt's name in this trailer which could either lead to 2 possible things.

1. He's going to be involved in the show's cast (Probably Griffith)

2. He might be doing the intro do the show, which is possibly a good thing seeing as the intro the Penpals did was...a bit crap.

But having Gackt involved in this has me very interested and curious in a lot of ways, Also regarding Susumu Hirasawa, he’s been with Berserk since day 1 like you pointed out. Hopefully whoever’s in charge of the show’s production may agree to the idea of letting him come back and compose the soundtrack again. Hirasawa is one of the many things which held Berserk up, without him it just feels incomplete, I know that might sound rather stupid but honestly from a musical standing point I cant hear anyone else compose the soundtrack better than Hirasawa.

P

Pez

DarkDragoon said:
So what do you guys think the chances of getting the original VAs back is? They were all in the PS2 game right?

And on a more far-off note, what about the US VAs? I actually liked most of them and would love to get them back if this hypothetical new anime gets dubbed. Does anyone know if they're still working for Media Blasters?(assuming Media Blasters would dub another Berserk series)

I would not mind the Japanese cast all that much, but when it comes to an English translation, if that were to occur I would like new voices. Some parts in the series were really..."...eh" to me. Mostly it was the villians, but some of the lines were just cringe worthy.

However, as long as Johnny Young Bosch is NOT in it, then everything is just fine with me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Graywords said:

Five of the tracks aren't from him, for info.

DarkDragoon said:

Most of them were. And I think at least the main guys will come back. I do hope we get new voices for some characters though, like Isidro, Serpico and maybe Puck. I didn't like them much in the PS2 game.

DarkDragoon said:
assuming Media Blasters would dub another Berserk series

As far as I know Media Blasters isn't going to be around much longer.

Skullgrin140 said:
On the other hand I've seen Gackt's name in this trailer which could either lead to 2 possible things.

I can give you two good reasons for Gackt's involvement in the commercials: he's a big fan of Berserk and Miura did something for him 2 years ago. It doesn't automatically mean he'll be further involved in the project. That being said I wouldn't mind if he were; I find him convincing in the CMs.

Skullgrin140 said:
Also regarding Susumu Hirasawa, he’s been with Berserk since day 1 like you pointed out. Hopefully whoever’s in charge of the show’s production may agree to the idea of letting him come back and compose the soundtrack again.

I think it's more a matter of whether Hirasawa will want to do yet another Berserk OST or not.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Pez said:
I would not mind the Japanese cast all that much, but when it comes to an English translation, if that were to occur I would like new voices. Some parts in the series were really..."...eh" to me. Mostly it was the villians, but some of the lines were just cringe worthy.

However, as long as Johnny Young Bosch is NOT in it, then everything is just fine with me.
The only voice I really liked in the dub was Griffith's. I thought it was very fitting and the guy was a really good actor.

Haha Johnny, that guy is such an anime slut these days. Can't say I hate him though. I've met him quite a few times and he's a really cool guy so I'm a little biased towards him.

What do you know about media blasters Aazealh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom