New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see where all the disscussion about what is and what isn't CGI comes from. As far as we can tell, human characters will be drawn normally and armour, weapons and apostles (Zodd at least) will be CGI. I still think theres a good chance even Zodds human form will be drawn.

I said i would reserve my judgement and now after all these CMs i can say im pretty excited. After seeing these CMs and the fact that all but one scene (the one of Zodd) still have not been shown Its save to assume a larger project is under way. Also from what i recall i wouldnt be surprised if the leaked image of Guts cutting down soldiers takes place in the same scene as the one shown in the first CM

As happy as i am though..i still think i need to see Guts cut something in half with this new animation style to be fully happy :serpico:

EDIT: i forgot to mention how it kind of pisses me off Zodds horns are wrong. What the hell is that? It won't look good at all if hes tearing through things with one of those later on...

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
ChinoXL said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-10-asuras-wrath/704740 whoever is making that would make a good berserk game since it had me thinking of Berserk on bionic steroids with a tab of fist of the north star lol

CyberConnect2 along with Capcom is making that game.The problem with Asura's Wrath is that they haven't shown how much of a game it is.So far it's just cuts-sence with quick time events and if thats the case I'd rather just watch a CG movie and not have worry about failing at a QTE and constantly have to a worry about failing at the game.Though from Cyberconnect2's background it looks like it's going to be a beat em' up with QTE's, so God('s of the east) of War.

There's a lot of developers that can make the game part of Berserk somewhat enjoyable but it's the story scene's I worry about.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Let's keep things on topic, this thread isn't about video games.

Draculoid said:
After seeing these CMs and the fact that all but one scene (the one of Zodd) still have not been shown Its save to assume a larger project is under way. Also from what i recall i wouldnt be surprised if the leaked image of Guts cutting down soldiers takes place in the same scene as the one shown in the first CM

It's interesting actually, because even the Zodd scene didn't contain the exact frame that was leaked, so we actually didn't see any of those particular leaked screens in the CMs, just what looked like related/surrounding footage. I wonder if that's simply incidental, or if those were intentional omissions.

Draculoid said:
EDIT: i forgot to mention how it kind of pisses me off Zodds horns are wrong. What the hell is that? It won't look good at all if hes tearing through things with one of those later on...

Yeah, now those errors are actually worth complaining about since they aren't subjective but just plain wrong.

My wife pointed out that those leaked screens from last year, if they are actually a part of this project, may very well have just been pre-production renders used for framing purposes. There's no guarantee that any of those were or are now part of any actual animation.

Aphasia said:
Are you sure? I thought just parts of guts was 3D, like his false arm/sword. If you're right then I'm thoroughly impressed by the quality of the cell shading on a human character. Fooled me. Although you can definitely tell with Zodd and Skull Knight.

Yup, try pausing it on different frames with post-Eclipse Guts. The shading and outlines are of the type produced by 3D cell-shading filters like Illustrate. If you watch the way the soldiers move in the Zodd clip, they're definitely 3D models, too (good ones, though).

I do admit, if Griffith and Casca are 3D I would never have guessed without being told. They did say "full CG", though, so I'm wondering if they just did a really good job of touching them up or something (plus frame-by-frame animation for the hair). Keep in mind that the Zodd and Guts models were in a similar form back in 2008, whereas the Griffith and Casca clips may be a lot newer and take advantage of newer techniques.

Ya know, I don't really see what the problem is. I've been reading this thread for days. If it's animated it's animated. Who really cares what style it's in? Do you want the story animated, or do you want the story animated specifically for you? I don't care if it's CG or hand drawn or construction paper or stop motion animated. If it doesn't fuck with the story it's all the same to me. How are you gonna complain about something that doesn't really exist yet? We have no idea what they're gonna do. This animation, well parts of it anyway, are used from things drawn at the very least a year ago. Some of you people need to just be happy that we might be getting a revamp or second series instead of complaining about how it might theoretically look. These commercials looked good to me. Not that my opinion means anymore than anyone else's, but really, I'd like to see Skull Knight move. If it's CG, or hand drawn, or DirectDK with this hand behind one of the statues walking or galloping towards the camera (which would actually be quite entertaining), I'll appreciate it for what it is. No matter what's done, it's not gonna be as good as the manga, because it'll be a counter part of the manga, which is the story and the format and the way it's supposed to be represented and sold. The 1997 had more than it's fair share of flaws, but I still try and watch it at least twice a year. We should all just be happy there are enough people willing to fund and have interest in this story we all love so much.

Largely agree with Nirvana.

By the way, g0rth mentions that the "Coming Soon" item on the official site is somewhat suspicious. Maybe it's always been there, and I'm just blind, but I didn't notice it last week(?) I've been loading the /cm/ page directly since then.

Griffith

@Nirvana :ubik:

Sven Viking said:
By the way, g0rth mentions that the "Coming Soon" item on the official site is somewhat suspicious. Maybe it's always been there, and I'm just blind, but I didn't notice it last week(?) I've been loading the /cm/ page directly since then.

It's always been there, though it would be a nice place for a future anime project link, right? :carcus:

Speaking of which, YA still has this tantalizing image up on their main page, in case anyone missed it:

If it otherwise looks familiar, I used it as the template, i.e. ripped it off, for my Berserk Recut project banner and sig.

Griffith said:

Thanks Griffith! I read these boards as a guest A LOT more often than I post, which has been the case for many years. It's nice to know my opinion isn't unrecognized! I only post when I feel like I can add something useful to the thread. Off topic, I know, but I figured I'd express my appreciation :guts:

Griffith

Nirvana said:
Thanks Griffith! I read these boards as a guest A LOT more often than I post, which has been the case for many years. It's nice to know my opinion isn't unrecognized!

Sure, you hit the nail on the head when it comes to a lot of the flailing about going on over what this still theoretical project is theoretically going to be like. No reason for us to get too high or low just yet.

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic and enjoying the ride. :badbone:

Nirvana said:
I only post when I feel like I can add something useful to the thread. Off topic, I know, but I figured I'd express my appreciation :guts:
Ironically accepted. :griffnotevil:

turkitage

ターク
Nirvana said:
or DirectDK with this hand behind one of the statues walking or galloping towards the camera (which would actually be quite entertaining), I'll appreciate it for what it is.

DirectDK, can we get on this please? I need a stop motion animation of volume 1 - 35 - Thanks.

I'm definitely in the camp that is just absolutely positively ELATED with what we've seen so far. I'm just so happy that there might be another Berserk anime, whether it be TV or OVA, who knows? Personally, I'm hoping for a high quality TV series because I would love to have more episodes than just a 13 ep OVA or something. But yeah, so far, I've loved everything about the clips except for the leaves on Casca. LOL. They just look a little too much like pasties to me :slan:. But my goodness, the way Griffith and Skullknight looked was just perfect. I'm also totally fine with the way Zodd moved and looked in CM2. I loved the way it was done, and the angles they used, and the lighting, and all that good stuff. And aside from the leaves, I thought Casca's face looked great!!! Hot and cute as ever, and resembles the manga as far as I'm concerned. I know everyone has their art preferences and I know CG isn't drawing (traditionally speaking anyways), but in my mind, I'm totally diggin' the look thus far!

Speaking of details like Zodd's horn, though that was wrong, I stumbled upon a Berserk blog that pointed out something pretty cool: http://berserk2010.blogspot.com/2010/10/details-details-details.html

Nirvana said:
If it's CG, or hand drawn, or DirectDK with this hand behind one of the statues walking or galloping towards the camera (which would actually be quite entertaining), I'll appreciate it for what it is.

Turkitage said:
DirectDK, can we get on this please? I need a stop motion animation of volume 1 - 35 - Thanks.

:ganishka: :ganishka: :ganishka: You know, if I had the time, I'd TOTALLY do something like this, EXCEPT for the fact that if I do, there is a high possibility that something will break!!! But I will keep this in mind :carcus:. Although, Aaz, didn't someone do a Berserk animated gif of Guts fighting Spiderman with action figures? That was really fricken good!

In closing, I'm going to be OUT OF THE COUNTRY for the next 2 weeks, so unfortunately I won't be able to visit or post in this thread much, if at all, until the 20th! I will miss you guys and this thread, because as pathetic or AWESOME as it may sound... this has been the shining light of my entire week! I've been refreshing this page like nutso and telling all my friends about it. I even got 2 of my friends to watch the original series over the weekend!!! Of course, I watched some of it with them and sang "Tell Me Why" as loud as I could (unfortunately, they didn't care for the song much!). But yeah, hopefully when I get back, there will be some further confirmation about all of this and where this "animated project" is going!!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
The smooth detailing of CG seems to lack depth, which doesn't represent the level of detail in what we come to expect from the Berserk, therefore it doesn't portray it in the same graphical light and style of the manga.

No anime that was ever created has had the same level of detail that can be found in Berserk. It's a waste of time just to talk about it. And again, if you compare the footage from the commercials to that of the 1997 TV series, you'll find out that the new footage isn't any less detailed.

Sven Viking said:

Mentioned by me on page 2 of this thread. As soon as the new website launched basically. No need to look for info elsewhere. :slan:

DirectDK said:
Speaking of details like Zodd's horn, though that was wrong, I stumbled upon a Berserk blog that pointed out something pretty cool:

Yeah the columns are faithful to the manga, great. Too bad the character at the center of the scene, Zodd, isn't. I guess whoever made that scene didn't have their priorities straight? What's somewhat worrying is that it's not an isolated incident (as mentioned several times since we first saw the leaked footage a year ago). We'll see how it goes in due time I guess...

DirectDK said:
Aaz, didn't someone do a Berserk animated gif of Guts fighting Spiderman with action figures? That was really fricken good!

Yup. It's still around too. Click here to see the original thread.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Yeah the columns are faithful to the manga, great.

:ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Too bad the character at the center of the scene, Zodd, isn't. I guess whoever made that scene didn't have their priorities straight? What's somewhat worrying is that it's not an isolated incident (as mentioned several times since we first saw the leaked footage a year ago). We'll see how it goes in due time I guess...

It's a strange mistake too, taking the design of his single horn and doubling it. He's like super Zodd! Totally made up explanation: maybe they potentially wanted to do a scene with Zodd after volume 17 as well, so they hedged their bets on horns for the CG model. =)

Aazealh said:
Yup. It's still around too.

It is, but a little big to be posted in this thread. In honor of DK's brief departure, the youtube version:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/cEwxkttS5DM[/flash]

Hopefully it will inspire him. :guts:

Hey guys, i mentioned it a while back but unfortunally no one replied and i really want to see you opinion. Sk's helmet looks a bit wrong to me i can only count 8 horns instead of the usual 9. Is it because of the angle that he is shown or is it a mistake from the animation studio what do you think ?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Totally made up explanation: maybe they potentially wanted to do a scene with Zodd after volume 17 as well, so they hedged their bets on horns for the CG model. =)

Got rational explanations for the other mistakes too? Careful there, I might take you to task on everything else that'll crop up in the future! :rakshas:

Rus said:
Hey guys, i mentioned it a while back but unfortunally no one replied and i really want to see you opinion. Sk's helmet looks a bit wrong to me i can only count 8 horns instead of the usual 9. Is it because of the angle that he is shown or is it a mistake from the animation studio what do you think ?

Sorry, I remember that post but I've been busy this past week and didn't have time to check. Looking at it quickly, I think it could be the angle, but at first glance there does indeed seem to be only 8 spikes.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Rus said:

I think only 8 spikes were ever animated. Thanks to Walters EMBIGGENING, it really looks like 8 spikes versus 9.

skully8spikes.png

Griffith

Yeah, it looks like it could be two overlapping on the left, but it might not be. Adding to the confusion of other identification methods, even the "center spike" at that angle is kind of between being centered and there being two spikes with a space in the center... Inconclusive, basically, and I go by NFL replay review rules: if I can't conclusively see the result of play under review, I can't overturn the ruling on the field. So, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

On second thought though, since Zodd has two giant overcompensating horns, Guts is dueling Griff in his Hawks armor, and Casca's lying on a spaulder instead of her chest plate with stick'em leaves on, it probably doesn't matter. But that pillar is right on.

Totally made up explanation: if that scene is from Skull Knight's first appearance in volume 9, he appears with both 7 and 9 horns, so again, splitting the difference. =)

Aazealh said:
Sorry, I remember that post but I've been busy this past week and didn't have time to check.

No problem mate :badbone:

Griffith said:
Totally made up explanation: if that scene is from Skull Knight's first appearance in volume 9, he appears with both 7 and 9 horns, so again, splitting the difference. =)
Yeah i remember that it was mentioned a while back (i think it was you Griffith) so i counted them in the clip

The only thing that saddens me is that they showed us 5 clips that apparently have been lying around for a long time and in the 4 of them we were able to find mistakes. Off to a good start

Griffith said:
But that pillar is right on.

Yeah at least we got the pillar :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rus said:
Yeah i remember that it was mentioned a while back (i think it was you Griffith) so i counted them in the clip

Actually it was our friend Truder who mentioned it recently: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12027.msg189150#msg189150

Rus said:
The only thing that saddens me is that they showed us 5 clips that apparently have been lying around for a long time and in the 4 of them we were able to find mistakes.

One of the clips being a recap of the others, so technically we found mistakes in all of them.

Aazealh said:
Actually it was our friend Truder who mentioned it recently: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12027.msg189150#msg189150

Yeah you are right on that, sorry Truder!! :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
One of the clips being a recap of the others, so technically we found mistakes in all of them.

Too bad that's true... I realize it's impossible to create something exactly the same as the manga and I don't mind seeing some things changed in the process of making the anime, but come on they should at least get Zodd's horns right.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
About the number of horns on Skull Knight's helmet; if you'll notice on the right side of his helmet, the second to last horn is lined up with the line that runs down the side of the helmet, and the last horn is past that. Now on the left side, due to the angle of his head, our visibility of the helmet stops right where the line that runs down would be, and that appears to be where the last visible horn is. So it's safe to assume that there is indeed one last horn behind the one we can see. I hope that made sense.

Also, he clearly has a horn in the center of his head, and 4 on the right side, so again it's safe to assume that there would be 4 more on the left side as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom