New Berserk Anime for 2016

Delta Phi said:
Titles of the first 5 episodes have been released, and they are simultaneously disappointing and relieving.

1. 竜殺しの大剣 (Large Sword Dragonslayer)
2. 聖鉄鎖騎士団 (Holy Iron Chain Knights)
3. 奇跡の夜 (Night of Miracle)
4. 啓示 (Revelation)
5. 断罪の塔 (Tower of Conviction)
http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/ap/berserk.html

Shitty translations courtesy of Google Translate and my best guesses.

Looks like Guardians of Desire and Lost Children are out, which sucks, but this also means that the full 24 episodes will be devoted to Binding Chains and Birth Festival.

I swear, Berserk is cursed, anime wise.

And the sad part is that doing a faithful adaptation wouldn't be hard. But no one wants to do it right.

Skipping Lost Children wouldn't even be necessary, if they were smart about it.

There are three parts they want to cover, right?

Black Swordsman, Lost Children, and Tower of Conviction. I threw Guardians of Desire in with Black Swordsman as both set up Guts' character as very big, scary man that killed things, and Griffith as Femto.

And the anime is twenty four episodes long. So each part could get eight episodes in total.

Eight for Black Swordsman, eight for Lost Children, and eight for Tower of Conviction. I doubt they could finish Tower in eight episodes, but they could leave off on a cliffhanger or something to tease a second season.

That'd be a Hell of a lot better than just skipping entire arcs because reasons.

God Dammit. How do they fuck this up this badly? Not only does the animation look like a mixed bag between 'maybe acceptable' and 'pastel garbage,' but they decided to make a 24 episode season and cut out 2 full arcs. I get that the Conviction arc feels a bit more epic, but c’mon! They have so much room to work with. I was expecting an abridged Black swordsman and Lost Children Arc to at least show how Guts kinda loses it on his quest for vengeance against apostles before getting pulled back to save Casca. I could have lived with that, even if we only see him go after one of the three prominent ones we see, and imply some others through a montage. That could have worked, and we’d see Guts go BERSERK as a vehicle of rage and vengeance, that he struggles with as the series goes on.

But without any of that, how is it even going to make sense? He leaves with the Dragon Slayer (to do what?) fights a possessed tree and some skeletons only to be immediately captured by the Holy Iron Chain Knights, escapes and heads back right away to find out Casca ran off. There is so much wrong here. For example:

-Why are the H.I.C.K.s even after him if he hasn’t left a wake of dead bodies as the Black Swordsman? He’s just some random guy with a big sword, unless they are pinning the Eclipse on him.

-What is Guts going on a quest for if he doesn’t encounter any Apostles? Will our audience even remember what the Apostles are by the time they appear much later on (whoops).

-Will we even have enough time to set up Casca giving birth to the demon child, locking her up with Rickert and Godot, getting the Dragon Slayer, and meeting Puck. Is this all in the same episode as the skeletons and Collete? How?

-How will there be any character arc between an enraged Guts who wants to destroy the God Hand, and one who wants to protect the only person left to him. You have to set up the first part of him to lead into the second.

-How do a bunch of amateur knights like the H.I.C.K.s manage to overpower the Hundred man Slayer if he’s not already beaten to a pulp.

-Are we cutting the Beast of Darkness too now?

-Does Guts get a beherit?

Okay, rant done. Here’s the only way I can see them salvaging this knowing what we know now.

The first episode would have to be a longer one, maybe 40 min. There is precedent for this. We open with a minor flashback to the eclipse out of a nightmare from Guts and we find that Casca has wandered off from the cave. Guts finds her and we have the demon child birth, pissing off Guts more. They do the whole DS intro, including with the pig apostle, and this prompts him to go off. They then show us Guts Black swordsman period in an extended montage sequence, showing several Apostles he’s killed and how he sheds his humanity more and more with each passing encounter, and he gets a beherit near the end implying that he’s on a dark path. He meets Puck somewhere during this and we finally have someone questioning what he’s doing and why he’s so gloomy. We have ‘The Brand’ episode with Collete and the skeletons and Guts is near a breaking point, and this is where the H.I.C.K.s encounter him, near the corpse of a child they accuse him of murdering.
Continue from Conviction arc onward.

That’s a lot to cover in the first episode, but I think it might be possible. If they did this, it would be far from ideal, but I thing you could still get the core of what the series needs to propel into the Conviction arc. My faith that they’ll do this is super low though.

I guess I may have to revisit this series as a part of Redux as well to fix these awful colors and include the Black Swordsman episode. God Dammit.

No Lost Children? That is very disapointing. The hope that they'd do this part was the only reason I got my hopes up for this anime.

I'm even more "meh" about this than I was before. The 2D animation (is this even genuine 2D animation)looks like that type of animation they used for the new Fujiko Mine anime they had not to long ago with all the cruddy streaky lined "shadowing," but some how cheaper and much more poor quality. Some of the animation is so simple looking it looks like a elementary school kid drew it. I mean come on now!

Also the Black swordsman arc and Lost children arc are my favorites and I am pissed that it appears that it will probably be skipped or abridged so completely that it will have no meaning. I also really like the Conviction arc but it looks like they are might be messing that up as well. Damn, I am so frustrated. The scene with Farnese and Guts better not be messed up.

I don't get this honestly, so I heard that after the backlash of the first teaser animation they went back and enhanced it and now we get this? Can someone please explain that to me?
If they're going with this after going back and enhancing the old animation of the teaser does that mean they just don't care anymore or what?!

Also the lost children.... I mean wow. I was literally talking about that arc specifically since they announced the anime to my friend who's never read the manga and how guts killed all those children and basically didn't care less about it. Can't believe I'm not going to see that animated....

Oh and hi.

R

Resonance

I feel like this anime is going to be a complete travesty. For starters the 3d modles they are using look inferior to ones made 12 years ago, and they are going to cut out 2 incredible arcs and just cram in the important events of them into the first episode. Well atleast I am going to get another Hirasawa song out of it.

Berserk 2016: http://i.imgur.com/qS24gUD.png
Berserk PS2 Game 2004: https://gyazo.com/6f2b801f41cff28bd4ced4e421ab6d85

Hey man, you might wanna reread that section of the story or your post because, right now, it sounds like you're bummed that you wont see our hero nonchalantly murder children. :isidro: We are talking Berserk not Star Wars.

Aazealh said:
That's... not really what happens.

I know he didn't mean to if that's what you're referring to.

buttonmasher said:
Hey man, you might wanna reread that section of the story or your post because, right now, it sounds like you're bummed that you wont see our hero nonchalantly murder children. :isidro: We are talking Berserk not Star Wars.

I think you missed my point. I enjoyed seeing how together he was when he found out about it, it was awesome seeing how much he's changed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hypnos said:
I know he didn't mean to if that's what you're referring to.

Their lives ended when Rochine turned them into monsters. Guts released them from that mutated existence.

Walter said:
Their lives ended when Rochine turned them into monsters. Guts released them from that mutated existence.

That's definitely one way to put it. Man still can't believe we're not seeing that animated...

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
The worst realization about how they're trimming the story, is that it seems probable that they'll go beyond Femto's incarnation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
The worst realization about how they're trimming the story, is that it seems probable that they'll go beyond Femto's incarnation.

Given everything they're skipping or cutting out, it's going to be a clusterfuck if/when they get to the Millennium Falcon arc and beyond.

Aazealh said:
Given everything they're skipping or cutting out, it's going to be a clusterfuck if/when they get to the Millennium Falcon arc and beyond.

Agreed. There will be little conflict for Guts to backslide into his Apostle hunting ways instead of protecting Casca. Probably no Beast of Darkness. That entire conflict is central to the character, not to mention a huge influence for the Berserker armor. And if we don't see Apostles until after birth ceremony, aside from the Beherit apostle, I feel like a casual audience is going to be really confused as to who all these monster men are. The Black swordsman arc and Lost Children chapter does so much world building that pays off later, I feel like they're hamstringing themselves and don't even realize it.

Not to mention that Guts won't be getting a beherit from the Count or Snake Baron in this version...

And ultimately they are skipping stuff to race towards a red light. What happens if the show is popular and they catch up to the series? I bet they'll wish they took they're time then.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
If they decide not to pursue animating the Beast of Darkness in this series, then they are dooming a large chunk of the story and character plots to the toilet. How can they cut such an important part of the main character in a story? The Beast of Darkness is suppose to drive Guts forward because of his hate for Griffith, but also push him to control it to save his new companions at the same time.

Guts' Berserker armor would serve no purpose other than a visual upgrade. If there is no Beast of Darkness, there is no Guts going berserk (other than some strange alternative version the anime decides to follow)

Schierke's story and relationship with Guts will suffer as well because their won't be that struggle against the Beast and Guts' persona when it comes to using the Berserker armor to its potential.

Cutting the :beast: out will do this anime a huge dishonor and lose so much more potential than they have already lost.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
First post!

Anyway, do we know if Susumu Hirasawa is doing the OST for the new anime? Cant have Berserk without his godly music.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Feeblecursedone said:
First post!

Anyway, do we know if Susumu Hirasawa is doing the OST for the new anime? Cant have Berserk without his godly music.

He is doing an insert song. Not the entire OST.

Feeblecursedone

jackson_hurley said:
He is doing an insert song. Not the entire OST.

Alright, hopefully the other OST will be up to the task though, since visuals aren't going to be as they're supposed to be. :/

Skipping lost children arc is gonna suck though. Its arguably the best potrayal of hatred/rage possessed Guts.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
Alright, hopefully the other OST will be up to the task though, since visuals aren't going to be as they're supposed to be. :/

It's going to be done by the same composer as the movie trilogy: Shirō Sagisu.

Feeblecursedone said:
Skipping lost children arc is gonna suck though.

Lost Children is a Chapter within the Conviction Arc.

Feeblecursedone

Walter said:
It's going to be done by the same composer as the movie trilogy: Shirō Sagisu.

Lost Children is a Chapter within the Conviction Arc.

Yeah I know, i just consider it a mini-arc in its own due to its length.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
Didnt seem like that to me.

For info, the Lost Children chapter is composed of 23 episodes, while the Conviction arc has 82 episodes in total. And for reference, the Chapter of the Holy Evil War Chronicle contains 59 episodes. The Falconia chapter has 72 episodes. In any case, the author is the one who chooses those labels, we just follow what he decides.

https://youtu.be/ciKEDLyKa-M?t=10m42s

Crunchyroll is premiering the 1st episode at Anime Expo on July 2nd with a Q & A and autograph session with the producer of the new anime, Reo Kurosu. They didn't mentioned when they'll be streaming the episode on their site. Only that it will be "soon".

Top Bottom