New Berserk Anime for 2016

This one is more appealing than the first one for sure. But yeah, the coloring of Serpico and Farnese is quite disturbing. Unfortunately there is a lot of CGI, it was expected, but I'm looking forward to see more.
And this new Hirasawa song is nice.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
All of my concerns have been voiced by others. Glad I'm not the only one. That being said, I'm a little more optimistic than I was before if for no other reason than this is almost entirely new ground.

That background track is hella infectious. Can't wait to listen to all of it.

Curious to know the translation of what the narrators say in the trailer.

I really like the bright colors and palette. Miura has some beautiful things for the artists to bring to life and I'm glad it's not all grimdark. I think Puck looks great too.

What's up with the low frame rate effect on the animation? It has to be a stylistic choice. The last shot of Guts walking towards the camera makes the effect obvious. Is this a popular fad in anime at the moment?

In any case, if they give us a faithful adaption then Im not going to complain about the visuals....too much.

They are teasing material 17 volumes apart. Good luck figuring out how this thing gets put together.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well to be honest I,m pretty much satisfied with what I've just watched! I try to stay up last night until it was out but I choked around 2 am and went to bed. But yeah nothing really bothered me that much.

I'm starting to be excited for that animation. Now my hopes are that they'll cover to story without rushing it too much. As Aaz said the best would be to adapt both for the arc properly.

And considering they showed pretty much everybody of the cast in the title sequence of the movies I would not be surprise if we skip a segment again. Hopefully they,ll start it at the right place. We'll see.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, my impression of that trailer is a bit mixed. It looks very low-budget -- perhaps the least visually ambitious Berserk adaptation so far? The sketchy effect on the textures looks like something I've seen in video game cutscenes.

However, I'm glad they got the resemblances for the characters pretty well down pat. The bright colors of the HICKs were indeed a little shocking to me, but Azan aside, these guys were never hardened warriors. They're an ornamental showpiece army assembled of young royals.

All that being said, I am excited to see how they animate this portion of the series and of course, if they'll manage to pull it off.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
The bright colors of the HICKs were indeed a little shocking to me, but Azan aside, these guys were never hardened warriors. They're an ornamental showpiece army assembled of young royals.

The colors themselves are fine, but I think it comes across as garish because they're so uniform, undetailed and brightly lit. The characters are supposed to be in a forest after having traveled for weeks or months, so this crude texturing gives them a "plastic" look more than a "textile" one. Of course, this also applies to every other part of the characters...

Walter said:
Hmm, my impression of that trailer is a bit mixed. It looks very low-budget -- perhaps the least visually ambitious Berserk adaptation so far? The sketchy effect on the textures looks like something I've seen in video game cutscenes.

It is supposed to be hatching. The effect only appears in the shadows.
UVngWMV.png

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
buttonmasher said:
It is supposed to be hatching. The effect only appears in the shadows.
UVngWMV.png
I know, but the way it moves is a stylistic choice, and its odd. Resembles this: http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Final-Fantasy-Tactics-1-1280x800.jpg

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Walter said:
I know, but the way it moves is a stylistic choice, and its odd. Resembles this: http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Final-Fantasy-Tactics-1-1280x800.jpg

I thought the same thing. I actually really liked the cutscenes in the Tactics rerelease, but I'm not sure I really like it in Berserk. It'll be nice to see it in action for longer than a fraction of a second or so to get a better idea of if it'll look ok (good?).

I don't how much control will Mr. Miura have over this project nonetheless knowing that he is attached to it in any kind give some hope.

Still wish they weren't using these awkward CGI but it is what it is that being said my biggest concern is the pacing I hope they don't skip any part of the story and that we get the whole Black Swordsman Arc followed up by the Lost Children Arc then the Conviction Arc.

Now after remembering the 1997 series there is no way they can adapt the full story in just 24 episodes (which is rumored) without skipping and cutting corners unless this is going to be a long series guess waiting for more information is better than speculation.

I hope they don't skip any part of the story and that we get the whole Black Swordsman Arc followed up by the Lost Children Arc then the Conviction Arc.

The Lost Children is a chapter within the conviction arc, not a separate arc.

In regards to this new trailer that just came out, I'm a little warmed up towards the animation a little. Granted the CG for some parts still looks unappealing as ever which that's no surprise at all, the 2D elements to this are a little bit appealing and I especially like how Puck is drawn. The track by Susumu Hirasawa has me pumped, it's a shame that he is only brought in for one insert song and he isn't doing the whole score, nonetheless I am tuning into this.

OMG guys, the narrator is the same as the 1997 anime(he was Void's VA as well back then). :void:

July can't be close enough. :D

Toan said:
OMG guys, the narrator is the same as the 1997 anime(he was Void's VA as well back then). :void:

July can't be close enough. :D

I'm glad Unshou Ishizuka came back, which means we might see more of Void at some point. Plus since Shinji Ogawa (who played him in the movies) passed away it feels right to bring Ishizuka back, wish the rest of the older seiyu was as well though.

Despite there being a significant amount of CGI elements in the animation, the textures being used really do help make work a lot better visually. It's certainly doesn't look amazing but I think it is serviceable. Also if the 24 episode claim/rumor is true, I could definitely conceivably see the entirety of both the Black Swordsman and Conviction arcs being adapted.

They were giving away postcards at the booth, and found this picture on twitter, and the second picture on Yahoo Japan Auction:

gHJFVqh.jpg

iCKONFh.jpg

If the anime looks as good as that second postcard, I'll be quite pleased. :guts:

Unless I am severely misremembering, that appears to be Collette in the second postcard, that seems like in addition to the skeleton scenes we've seen so far, further confirmation that the second episode from Volume 1 is likely getting adapted.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea that episode probably will be animated the only problem is, like Aaz pointed out, it'll be some strange timeline where they mash different parts of the story into one. I have a feeling they're going to use parts of the first two episodes like meeting Puck, the skeletons in the woods, and weeve that directly into the Conviction Arc. Skipping the Snake Baron and The Count, which really sucks because the whole Count story line is practically begging to be adapted. It's the perfect introduction for a Black Swordsman era anime. It's got a little bit of everything and it culminates with our first meeting with the God Hand.

Who knows, maybe they will do that but I doubt it. I'll be very pleasanlty surprised if that's the case.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
DirectDK said:
They were giving away postcards at the booth, and found this picture on twitter, and the second picture on Yahoo Japan Auction:

gHJFVqh.jpg

iCKONFh.jpg

If the anime looks as good as that second postcard, I'll be quite pleased. :guts:

I may or may not be the proud owner of some of these... :beast:

Oburi said:
Yea that episode probably will be animated the only problem is, like Aaz pointed out, it'll be some strange timeline where they mash different parts of the story into one. I have a feeling they're going to use parts of the first two episodes like meeting Puck, the skeletons in the woods, and weeve that directly into the Conviction Arc. Skipping the Snake Baron and The Count, which really sucks because the whole Count story line is practically begging to be adapted. It's the perfect introduction for a Black Swordsman era anime. It's got a little bit of everything and it culminates with our first meeting with the God Hand.

Who knows, maybe they will do that but I doubt it. I'll be very pleasanlty surprised if that's the case.
If they are going to include Guts' meeting of Puck from the first tankōbon episode, I don't really see why they would also exclude the Snake Baron elements as well.
Also for Griffith's voice actor to still get billed as a main character, even if we assume there will be a couple of Golden Age arc flashbacks that I can't imagine that would be enough to get main character billing, and the only other times Griffith could have dialogue occurring are during episodes 127-128 from the beginning of the Birth Ceremony chapter and his appearance in the The Guardians of Desire episodes. So if the anime is indeed two cours and not one, I don't think it is that unlikely for The Guardians of Desire episodes to be adapted, especially for it's importance of showing Guts getting the behelit.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
So, is the voice at the beginning Slan... or Rochin? Seeing as she is saying "It's futile. You cannot escape. You are ours." I assumed Slan. If so, her voice is so impish. I much preferred her sultry voice from the previous anime and games. Based on the voice alone, I'd guess Rochin, but cannot confirm if she ever spoke those words.

For that matter, having Akio Ōtsuka as Skully didn't fit, in my opinion -- and I'm a big fan of his.

Walter said:
Did they just have those months, or are there more images?

Just these three. At least that's what was in the pack we received. They countdown to the premier month of July, so I don't imagine there would be more.

Top Bottom