New Berserk Anime for 2016

jackson_hurley said:
Yeah that's one of the things I was disappointed. He looks like a jelly fish...

I want to say that the distorted demon child is from Guts' dream in the Black Swordsman Arc. We even see a shot of Guts running through what looks like a tunnel with out any armor on. What I can't figure out is if we are seeing a reflection of Guts because he is missing the wrong eye.

Oh my... seriously, what is this shit ? Why do they have to butcher everything like that ? The 2D parts are fine but look at that 3D... it just looks fucking horrible and ridiculous.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bender said:
What I can't figure out is if we are seeing a reflection of Guts because he is missing the wrong eye.

Yes, it's a reflection. It's probably a dream sequence (possibly the one in Vol 1 where he's running down the corridor). The child is rising out of the water.

My expectations were so low, not even this kind of shitty animation was able disappoint me :guts:
More than anything, as Qalter also pointed out on the thread and in the podcast, I'm more so interested in how they will handle the material in those 24 episodes. As others have said, Lost Children and the portion with the count seems to be cut out.

Also just saw this. It's from the newest YA. Nothing really special
Courtesy of Ryu O.

b2IsuAC.jpg

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Yes, it's a reflection. It's probably a dream sequence (possibly the one in Vol 1 where he's running down the corridor). The child is rising out of the water.

I missed to notice it. I'll recheck again. Thank you for the clarification, I hope it is indeed from the dream sequence.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well at least now that we know the visuals are SHIT, we can focus on guessing how badly they'll butcher the story. Presumably Miura's involvement should alleviate the damage, but still... I'm bracing myself for some real ugliness here, and so should everyone.

Otherwise I don't have much to add to what's already been said, although I have to say I'm in awe at how much of a shoestring budget they must have for this to be the result.

Well that looks horrendous. Think I'll just play the PS2 game instead since I haven't yet and honestly, looking at the CG sequences in that, they actually look better to me than this mess. And to think the anime movies may actually have better visuals than this...and the thought of the lack of the Lost Children chapter. :magni:

My guess is Luka and Nina will have 5 second cameos too. There's just too much to cover in such a short span of episodes. Why is it so fucking hard to do a decent adaptation of Berserk?

It's weird since the concepts actually look rather okay but the CG animation is just. :mozgus:

I can honestly say that this trailer really ruined the small amount of hype I had for the show after seeing the second PV. I mean, I'll probably watch it anyway, since I'm not really excited for anything else this coming season, but I'll be expecting to face a large amount of cringe. I guess its likely that they'll fuck with the story, too. :judo:

Funnily enough, though, they did happen to fix perhaps the most superficial complaint most people had about the last trailers: the Dragonslayer no longer bends. 10/10 guys. I guess that means the whole show is going to be super faithful to the manga.

But really, what do all of us devoted fans of Miura's masterpiece here on this website actually have riding on this adaptation? I think its clear by now that the normies don't really deserve Berserk, based on these abortions (sorry, adaptations) that always end up super messy. I think we should just all be thankful for volume 38, the end to the hiatus, and the 37 masterful volumes of work we have up to this point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BlessedAdjudicator said:
But really, what do all of us devoted fans of Miura's masterpiece here on this website actually have riding on this adaptation? I think its clear by now that the normies don't really deserve Berserk, based on these abortions (sorry, adaptations) that always end up super messy. I think we should just all be thankful for volume 38, the end to the hiatus, and the 37 masterful volumes of work we have up to this point.

I can't disagree with that, but it's not so simple. When they didn't animate Berserk for over a decade, I was fine with it. The manga has always been enough for me. However now they are animating it, and try as I may it's fundamentally hard to not care at all about the fact those adaptations suck. With each iteration the producers keep saying it's going to be great, pumping up the marketing and all, and then they shit in our mouths. No one's dying over it, but I think the frustration is understandable. Because we know it could be so great. It really could, and it wouldn't be hard to do. But instead we get this.

I've been saying for months (and even years before that with the movies) that people should keep their expectations in check to avoid having their hopes crushed. And I've been almost completely apathetic to this latest effort myself. But when I saw that trailer, I couldn't help but be dejected. Because I care about Berserk, and it pains me that they're doing this to it. There's no stopping it, it's what makes us human.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
:schnoz: Long time stalker of this forum, 2nd post ever...

It's a shame about the animation direction they decided to go with. But really what matters with me (and what should ultimately matter) is how well this studio can adapt this series well enough, that people who haven't read the actual series can get a comprehensive idea of what's going on in the manga storyline.
Really wish the Count and Rochine's story would be a part of this anime, but I can understand if they need to cut things out in order progress the anime in the direction they want.
I just hope they stay at least somewhat true to the story and not screw up important story plots and character relation (which is 75% possible). I gotta say though, I'm pumped to see Puck :puck:, Farnese :farnese:, Isidro :isidro:, and Serpico :serpico: animated and hope the studio can accurately portray their character relations and actions from the manga as best as they can. Craving a good Berserk animated show. Hoping this one is it.

I'm hyped to see them all in Guts' party. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Found on Reddit: http://i.imgur.com/sEzvkKv.jpg

My guess is, they polished the trailer as much as they could, but when it came time for regular production, they realized they couldn't maintain that consistency for the full series, so they "dumbed it down."

Aazealh said:
Because we know it could be so great. It really could, and it wouldn't be hard to do. But instead we get this.

Given that The Brand is one of my favorite episodes from the Black Swordsman Arc, I was initially pleased that they would be animating it. You have this great scene, right, with Guts turning around and seeing the possessed body of Colette holding her father's head in one hand and a sword in the other and then it focuses on that grin, just perfect. She walks out of the wagon and comes straight at Guts with just this intensity and you have this great moment of hesitation while she stabs Guts. Perfect scene, perfect atmosphere.

So given that what do they do with it? They have her flailing around doing some kind of sword dance or some shit. Really fucking great totally awesome yeah thanks. It seems like it's going to have the same kind of over-the-top ridiculousness to everything that the movies had, so I expect we can all look forward to more of these kind of improvements. :schierke:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Out of boredome I watched the first Berserk movie Egg of the King on the Netflix the other day when I noticed it on there. It's only the second time I watched this after my first viewing years ago when it came out (I still haven't seen the other movies). Man, was it rough. I think it even managed to age horribly just in the few years it's been out. It's a complete mess, all over the place.

Anyway, I never had much to say when they made that trilogy, and I don't have much to say now with this new project. I've avoided just about everything that's related to these new animations over the years and I don't feel like I've missed out on a damn thing. I think I'll maintain that position for the foreseeable future.

See y'all in the new episode threads! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

My guess is, they polished the trailer as much as they could, but when it came time for regular production, they realized they couldn't maintain that consistency for the full series, so they "dumbed it down."

Ah, nice work to whoever did this. I believe they did a "2D redrawing of the faces" for the old trailer, but didn't bother with it for the new one. I guess we shouldn't expect it for the actual show either...

Oburi said:
Out of boredome I watched the first Berserk movie Egg of the King on the Netflix the other day when I noticed it on there. It's only the second time I watched this after my first viewing years ago when it came out (I still haven't seen the other movies). Man, was it rough. I think it even managed to age horribly just in the few years it's been out. It's a complete mess, all over the place.

Hahaha, I'm not surprised. I don't think I could seat through another viewing of "Egg of the King" myself, it's just too much to take.

Oburi said:
Anyway, I never had much to say when they made that trilogy, and I don't have much to say now with this new project. I've avoided just about everything that's related to these new animations over the years and I don't feel like I've missed out on a damn thing. I think I'll maintain that position for the foreseeable future. See y'all in the new episode threads! :guts:

Clearly the smartest move to make.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Hahaha, I'm not surprised. I don't think I could seat through another viewing of "Egg of the King" myself, it's just too much to take.

Even though I have them at home, everytime I try to re-watch them I can't get through the first one. The other day I had a few drinks and decided to skip straight to the third one, but I choke after 20 min and went to bed instead.

I'm still curious about the new one.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Titles of the first 5 episodes have been released, and they are simultaneously disappointing and relieving.

1. 竜殺しの大剣 (Large Sword Dragonslayer)
2. 聖鉄鎖騎士団 (Holy Iron Chain Knights)
3. 奇跡の夜 (Night of Miracle)
4. 啓示 (Revelation)
5. 断罪の塔 (Tower of Conviction)
http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/ap/berserk.html

Shitty translations courtesy of Google Translate and my best guesses.

Looks like Guardians of Desire and Lost Children are out, which sucks, but this also means that the full 24 episodes will be devoted to Binding Chains and Birth Festival.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Actually, we don't know yet if there will be 24 Episodes, or 13...unless I forget the announcement.

Uriel said:
First: new preview video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih2-9HwHlpw ...ugh.

Thats it, Im done.

Uriel said:
Walter said:
This should have been the visual they teased from the very beginning...

Anyway, this visual is far more inspiring than the new trailer

Yes that looks acceptable. Unfortunately, only to lure us in and crush our fucking hearts.

Rhombaad said:
How hard is it to get an anime adaptation of Berserk right?

At this point its not even about animating it "right" (as in style) anymore. Its more about getting an overall decent animation at all, they couldnt even give us that.

You know, its kinda funny how Berserk's basically got the best art and most fluid art style, and then gets the very worst animation in the business. Something just doesnt add up here. At some point you almost have to ask yourself; do they actually want to disappoint us?

Walter said:

This is hilarious.

Delta Phi said:
4. 啓示 (Revelation)

Oh?! Well at least then it seems like they'll be focusing on more or less one arc. Not mashing everything together. Yeah, "seems" anyway.

Cause honestly I'd rather they skip all of Black Swordsman arc and Lost Children chapter than making some weird unfaithful summary of it all.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
RaffoBaffo said:
Actually, we don't know yet if there will be 24 Episodes, or 13...unless I forget the announcement.

There's this, but it's not exactly official word from the studio or anything:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/03/24/german-site-lists-24-episodes-for-upcoming-berserk-tv-anime

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Delta Phi said:
There's this, but it's not exactly official word from the studio or anything:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/03/24/german-site-lists-24-episodes-for-upcoming-berserk-tv-anime
Good, I really hope is a 2cour Anime.

Delta Phi said:
Titles of the first 5 episodes have been released, and they are simultaneously disappointing and relieving.

4. 啓示 (Revelation)

Looks like Guardians of Desire and Lost Children are out, which sucks, but this also means that the full 24 episodes will be devoted to Binding Chains and Birth Festival.

No Lost children Arc?????!!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:

4. 啓示 (Revelation)

I'm not sure there's too much cause for relief here. Sure, they'll focus on less material, meaning they'll have more time to do it justice. But at what cost? We're going to get, in a single episode: Guts meeting Puck > dreaming about the Demon Child > fighting Colette > haunted tree > meeting the H.I.C.K.... Will they even bother with the Beast of Darkness? Who cares, right? I'm not even mentioning any apostle because let's not kid ourselves. And uh, so Guts isn't grievously wounded when he first encounters the H.I.C.K.? Or maybe the tree gave him trouble? Sounds good already. Frankly, given how complex that arc is in terms of social commentary, character development and so on, I think it's going to be a huge mess.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
4. 啓示 (Revelation)

This sounds like a disaster.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Aazealh said:
I'm not sure there's too much cause for relief here. Sure, they'll focus on less material, meaning they'll have more time to do it justice. But at what cost?
Agreed. My expectations are already pretty low (and dropping steadily with each new bit of info we get), but for whatever reason, let's call it naivety, I'm trying to be optimistic--until proven otherwise in July.

This is pretty much what my friends and I were joking about when it came to the new series. Sad when it's a running joke about how much content they can cut and how.

At this rate they may as well just skip over the entirety of the Kushan war and just go straight to Falconia and then not animate anything for another 15-20 years. Then do it all over again for whatever reason.

Top Bottom