New on DVD thread.

I saw Avatar while it was in theaters. The visuals and final battle, whose outcome was unpredictable, were awesome. The predictable story leading up to the battle, heavy handed political messages, awkward dialogue, and stock characters were not. Jake was especially bland. The draw was the spectacle, which is the first thing to wear out when you see a movie multiple times. I see little point in buying it on DVD.

seppuku said:
The draw was the spectacle, which is the first thing to wear out when you see a movie multiple times. I see little point in buying it on DVD.

Exactly! I feel like I've said that before (x1000), if not here than everywhere else.
This movie's a rollercoaster, designed to be experienced as one (IMAX) and I can't imagine it being very exciting (or even interesting) on your 27" plasma? Blah.

They're in talks of doing theatrical re-releases which, of course, mean their asking for more money, but it also means...... you should only watch it there.

The Perineum Falcon said:
Exactly! I feel like I've said that before (x1000), if not here than everywhere else.
This movie's a rollercoaster, designed to be experienced as one (IMAX) and I can't imagine it being very exciting (or even interesting) on your 27" plasma? Blah.

They're in talks of doing theatrical re-releases which, of course, mean their asking for more money, but it also means...... you should only watch it there.

I'm not saying the experience is better than the IMAX theater but I think seeing AVATAR on a 63"+ HD TV is still something I wanna do for some reason. Don't know why. :serpico: I mean yea, you spent a lot on the IMAX ticket, but you also spent a lot on your HD TV and blue-ray player. If you bought all of that stuff, why would you pass up a chance to at least RENT the movie? My point being there is still good reason to see it outside of the theaters. Example, I found the the Blue-ray STAR TREK experience way more impressive on my TV than I did in theaters. That's just me.

I hope no one's bought this skin and bones version of Avatar DVD/bluray. In November they plan on releasing the version with all the deleted scenes, featurettes, extras, etc. But not before they re-release the movie with a whopping 6 minutes of footage! haha.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I just bought Avatar on dvd. You know I liked the movie enough to own it, but it's not one of those where I really care enough about the special features where they explain how it took 50 hours to raise an eyebrow on a Na'vi. I'm sure the 6 minutes of deleted scenes will really make a big difference too :schierke: That's why the couldn't keep it in an already very long film to begin with. I don't need the special edition boxset for Avatar, the movie will do just fine...

and having just watched it again last night (first time since imax 3d) oh, it's still good. Just as impressive on my tv. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
pippin22 said:
bought like paid for..? how are those twilight candy bars treating you?

Well traded older dvds in to trade for it.

And chocolate is chocolate bro, it's not whats on the wrapper that counts but whats inside...

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.deepdiscount.com/anime-dvd-deals/berserk-complete-remastered/

Just thought I'd share this.

Just watched Predator 1 and 2 on Blu-ray. Got a 2 pack at Best Buy that included the new Predator Blu-Ray. While Predator looked gorgeous on Blu-Ray, Predator 2 looked so damn good I felt like I was watching a new movie.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Proj2501 said:
Just watched Predator 1 and 2 on Blu-ray. Got a 2 pack at Best Buy that included the new Predator Blu-Ray. While Predator looked gorgeous on Blu-Ray, Predator 2 looked so damn good I felt like I was watching a new movie.

Unfortunately, I heard they used a ton of DNR on the new Predator transfer and removed all the natural film grain. As a videophile, I just don't have the heart to pick it up. Glad to hear that Predator 2 is lookin' good.

Coming in October:
Alien Anthology

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2010/07/15/alien-anthology-coming-october-25th/#more-3492

You know I'm getting this shit. Aliens on Blu Ray. :guts: :guts: :guts:

The ALIEN ANTHOLOGY is a truly unique home entertainment experience. For the first time ever, the studio has united the material from every home video release of the ALIEN saga including the 1991/1992 laserdisc releases, the 1999 “Legacy” release and 2003’s groundbreaking ALIEN QUADRILOGY release into one complete Blu-ray collection.
126661740_09fc5a03ab.jpg

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Certainly not new, but I believe this is the best DVD release of a single movie ever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UBMWG4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1VR8C8CB4D6Y9HG88P48&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

5 Disc Blade Runner release contains the workprint version, the 1982 theatrical release, the international release, the director's cut, and the final cut, all in one case, for less than $30. That's a great deal for a great movie that's gone through several significant and confusing alterations in its history.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
Certainly not new, but I believe this is the best DVD release of a single movie ever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UBMWG4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1VR8C8CB4D6Y9HG88P48&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

5 Disc Blade Runner release contains the workprint version, the 1982 theatrical release, the international release, the director's cut, and the final cut, all in one case, for less than $30. That's a great deal for a great movie that's gone through several significant and confusing alterations in its history.
That's awesome. Wish I had a BluRay player and HDTV :sad:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:

I've got it and it's the prize of my Blu-ray collection. The final cut is awesome and my favorite version by far.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
I've got it and it's the prize of my Blu-ray collection. The final cut is awesome and my favorite version by far.

I actually haven't seen it yet, but Director's Cut is one of my oldest and most cherished DVDs. I think part of me doesn't want to see it "retired" by the final cut... not yet. =)

Also, forgot to mention this, but it looks like this set has just about every special feature, behind the scenes featurette or documentary ever produced relating to Blade Runner on it! Rhombaad could probably tell us more, but for now I'll let the product description speak for itself:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UBMWG4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1VR8C8CB4D6Y9HG88P48&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 said:
Disc One
RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM - Restored and remastered with added & extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio.

Commentary by Ridley Scott

Commentary by executive producer/co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher and co-screenwriter David Peoples; producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber

Commentary by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

Disc Two
Feature-length authoritative documentary - DANGEROUS DAYS: MAKING BLADE RUNNER

Disc Three
1982 THEATRICAL VERSION

1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION

1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT

Disc Four
Featurette "The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick"

Featurette "Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film"

Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (audio)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (images)

The Art of Blade Runner (image galleries)

Featurette "Signs of the Times: Graphic Design"

Featurette "Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling"

Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris

Featurette "The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth"

Unit photography galleryv Deleted and alternate scenes

1982 promotional featurettes

Trailers and TV spots

Featurette "Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art"

Marketing and merchandise gallery (images)

Featurette "Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard"

Featurette "--Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers"

Disc Five
WORKPRINT VERSION

Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner

Featurette "All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut"

:SK:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:
I actually haven't seen it yet, but Director's Cut is one of my oldest and most cherished DVDs. I think part of me doesn't want to see it "retired" by the final cut... not yet. =)

The Final Cut is more or less the Director's Cut perfected. Trust me, you'll like it. And even if you don't, it's on the Blu-ray, too. :iva:

グリフィス said:
Also, forgot to mention this, but it looks like this set has just about every special feature, behind the scenes featurette or documentary ever produced relating to Blade Runner on it! Rhombaad could probably tell us more, but for now I'll let the product description speak for itself:

Yeah, it took me about two weeks to watch all the versions, commentaries and documentaries. Suffice it to say, I was pretty exhausted afterwards.

I watched The Ghost Writer a few nights ago ... it came out on Dvd this week. Decent flick, but I expected a bit more off Polanski. Acting was top-notch.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
I watched The Ghost Writer a few nights ago ... it came out on Dvd this week. Decent flick, but I expected a bit more off Polanski. Acting was top-notch.

Yeah, I hear it's pretty good. Unfortunately, I just can't force myself to support a known child rapist, even if it happened over thirty years ago. If he'd served his time, that'd be one thing, but he didn't, so...

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I've got a huge weakness for DragonBall. The second DVD of DB Kai just came out today and now I'm watching it. It's really a great way to relive the series without all the filler weighing the series down.

The next Dragon Box is coming out at the end of this month, too. It's by far the best collection of DBZ there is. All nice and remastered with nice booklets.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
I've got a huge weakness for DragonBall. The second DVD of DB Kai just came out today and now I'm watching it. It's really a great way to relive the series without all the filler weighing the series down.

I enjoyed the first part, although I'm still getting used to the new animation mixed in with the old. In some scenes it seemed a bit unnecessary, but in others I believe it was because of the original frames being damaged. It seems like every time a ki attack is used, they redid the animation. However, it is really nice seeing the show at the manga's pacing. While it's by no means the most intelligent form of entertainment, it's pretty nostalgic.

I just bought the remastered edition of Gladiator on Blu-ray last week and I have to say it's like seeing the film for the first time again. While the narrative isn't perfect, the film itself looks beautiful, especially the battle in Germania and Maximus' battle against Tigris of Gaul.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
haha, I noticed that they re-animated every scene that originally had flashing lights. It seems they want to minimize seizures this time around. The re-dub in Japanese is hit or miss, but the English re-re-re-re-re-dub is pretty dang great in my opinion.

Ya know what else is spectacular on DVD - Wolf's Rain and Gankutsuou. I own a few box sets or special editions of select anime, it all boils down to what series ropes you in.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
haha, I noticed that they re-animated every scene that originally had flashing lights. It seems they want to minimize seizures this time around. The re-dub in Japanese is hit or miss, but the English re-re-re-re-re-dub is pretty dang great in my opinion.

I'm partial to the Japanese track myself, but I'm glad their dub of DBZ is finally decent. Some of the earlier ones were atrocious. I miss the original music, too. :sad:

Top Bottom