New Readers (No Spoilers)

Re: New readers (use spoiler tags)

Th3Branded0ne said:
You know I re-read both berserk and vagabond to keep looking for designs for keychains. I mostly do it after work at home. I take my time, no need to hurry it up.

I am actually re-reading both but I am taking my time. It's best not to rush through it because then you just wont understand the story properly. ( Well for me.)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

slan69 said:
Yeah I should also get back to re-reading Vagabond. I have forgotten some of the story in volumes 1-15.

Yeah, I get so focused on what's currently happening, that I can go back and come to appreciate how it all came together again like new. I swear, sometimes I'll backtrack so far it's like I'm practically reading the whole series backwards and somehow that progression is just as impressive.

Th3Branded0ne said:
You know I re-read both berserk and vagabond to keep looking for designs for keychains. I mostly do it after work at home. I take my time, no need to hurry it up.

That's cool, looking forward to seeing the next design.

slan69 said:
I am actually re-reading both but I am taking my time. It's best not to rush through it because then you just wont understand the story properly. ( Well for me.)

For everybody, there's simply too many details to catch it all at once, especially when it comes to seeing the bigger picture. You pretty much have to go back and tie it all together again every once in a while; input all that new information and see where it connects with the past.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Volumes 12 & 13 showed up today. Once I'm done reading 'em I'll let people know my thoughts on 10-13. :mushigrin:

Griffith

Alright, looking forward to it. In the meantime, happy reading, man.:mushigrin:

Er what the hell is volumes 10-13 about again. ( I know I suck at remembering Vagabond.) :mushisadfrown:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

slan69 said:
Er what the hell is volumes 10-13 about again. ( I know I suck at remembering Vagabond.) :mushisadfrown:
You could always crack open those old things and peek instead of asking here. It's two arcs:
Yagyu and Baiken.

Walter said:
You could always crack open those old things and peek instead of asking here. It's two arcs: Yagyu and Baiken.

Oh yeah. Thanks and yeah for some reason it didn't cross my mind to think about looking at them when there right beside me. :ganishka:

Bought the 4th Vizbig book last week. It makes Vagabond slow going for me, but in the end I decided I liked the consistency of buying volumes this way. Volumes 10-12 this time around.

The story is good. I appreciate the direction the characters are taking, but these volumes really flew past. I had to forcibly pace myself as I nearly read the whole thing in about an hour. I'll admit that's sort of depressing to have to wait so long just to have it over so quickly due to 80% of these volumes being dedicated to action, but I can't really complain. Things are at least moving along smoothly.

I think it's odd the direction the story has taken with the idea of invincibility. Musashi is basically a loose cannon, yet he's unable to touch Yagyu due to something they haven't quite explained. It seems more than an aura that he emits. It's like respect, aggression and fear all rolled up into one. I realize this is to show Musashi that there's more to the way of the sword than just strength (Such as what it seems his father made him to believe) but the story has been pretty vague on the details behind these emotions. I'm assuming we'll learn more as the story continues

As for our good friend Matahachi... While it seems to easy to blame him for his uncle's death, Matahachi never actually asked for him to intervene nor did he actually want to be chased after in the first place. It was fitting to have Matahachi bury him though. So sniveling when it comes to Musashi though. Now if only Granny had bit the dust >.> Though I suppose she's not out of the woods yet. It's nice to see more of Otsu. I'm looking forward to her further development, though I'm a little tired of Jotaro. Bratty kid!

So yeah, a long wait for me to see what happens with what ended as a terrible cliffhanger, but I'll be picking up volume 5 as soon as it hits stores.

Griffith

CowTip said:
Bought the 4th Vizbig book last week. It makes Vagabond slow going for me, but in the end I decided I liked the consistency of buying volumes this way. Volumes 10-12 this time around.

Yeah, it's tough, but at least their pumping up production speed, or at least the amount of info on future releases. And yeah, that's a really awkward place to stop, but I think the next few will be broken up nicely.

CowTip said:
The story is good. I appreciate the direction the characters are taking, but these volumes really flew past. I had to forcibly pace myself as I nearly read the whole thing in about an hour. I'll admit that's sort of depressing to have to wait so long just to have it over so quickly due to 80% of these volumes being dedicated to action, but I can't really complain. Things are at least moving along smoothly.

Well, I was doing that volume by single volume, so I don't sympathize. =)

Though I think there might actually be an advantage to reading it that way because you to get to spend more time with and really get to know each individual volume inside and out. I'm sure you can do the same with the BIGs, but it'd still give everything... a little different identity.

CowTip said:
I think it's odd the direction the story has taken with the idea of invincibility. Musashi is basically a loose cannon, yet he's unable to touch Yagyu due to something they haven't quite explained. It seems more than an aura that he emits. It's like respect, aggression and fear all rolled up into one. I realize this is to show Musashi that there's more to the way of the sword than just strength (Such as what it seems his father made him to believe) but the story has been pretty vague on the details behind these emotions. I'm assuming we'll learn more as the story continues

You do and you don't learn more, because it's one of those things where the more you know, the more questions you have, and part of that is certainly a mystique that Inoue is creating. It certainly continues to get dealt with though, and in different and compelling ways. The scene with
Yagyu
is still the most "out there" as far as that is concerned, there's more high concept stuff to come, but also more practical thought on it, and even some amusing things.

CowTip said:
As for our good friend Matahachi... While it seems to easy to blame him for his uncle's death, Matahachi never actually asked for him to intervene nor did he actually want to be chased after in the first place. It was fitting to have Matahachi bury him though. So sniveling when it comes to Musashi though. Now if only Granny had bit the dust >.> Though I suppose she's not out of the woods yet. It's nice to see more of Otsu. I'm looking forward to her further development, though I'm a little tired of Jotaro. Bratty kid!

Volume 12:
Don't worry, Jota will still have his moments, but his role is decidedly further in the background. Good points about Matahatchi too, I do sort of blame him for everything and never looked at it that objectively... this is why I like having other people to talk to about this! :mushigrin:

I think it's just that in Uncle Gon's case, it's so tragic because of all of them he deserved that the least. Meanwhile, as you alluded to, Granny would be, and in this case was, the death of them all!

CowTip said:
So yeah, a long wait for me to see what happens with what ended as a terrible cliffhanger, but I'll be picking up volume 5 as soon as it hits stores.

I remember waiting for volume 13, and the day I finally got it very clearly. It was a looooong time. :mushilaugh:

I also thought I'd mention that I love how Musashi still does some of the most outrageous things even this far in. You think you've got him figured out and then
he tosses Jotoro at the Yagyu clan.
Inoue also does a really good job of keeping the story serious but in a light manner for instance
again the scene with Yagyu scratching his crotch with that back scratcher, a completely ridiculous thing to witness a seemingly invincible man to do (For both the reader and Musashi), yet we all realize that the situation is much more serious than it seems. Or another good scene is when Matahachi is grinding the air while dreaming of whatshername he left behind. It's funny, but the poor guy really is pathetic.

Also:
I really liked the scene where Musashi is climbing up the side of the mountain, and despite all his struggle, there's another mountain right behind him that's even taller and it doesn't really phase Musashi. To me it shows that he's really starting to take things much more in stride than he used to. Probably the first step towards gaining Yagyu's level of invincibility.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

CowTip said:
I also thought I'd mention that I love how Musashi still does some of the most outrageous things even this far in. You think you've got him figured out and then
he tosses Jotaro at the Yagyu clan.

Well, Musashi is still at that moment only thinking of defeating strong and famous fighters.
After meeting Yagyu is when we start to see Musashi think and process all he has done at this moment.

Inoue also does a really good job of keeping the story serious but in a light manner for instance
again the scene with Yagyu scratching his crotch with that back scratcher, a completely ridiculous thing to witness a seemingly invincible man to do (For both the reader and Musashi), yet we all realize that the situation is much more serious than it seems. Or another good scene is when Matahachi is grinding the air while dreaming of whatshername he left behind. It's funny, but the poor guy really is pathetic.

For me when I first read those pages, was like Yagyu seemed toying with Musashi. Then a few pages later Yagyu thought it was his grandson Hyougonosuke.
So he was doing something he seemed comfortable doing while in company of him. At the same time he still wasn't unguarded, doing what he did with the scratcher to Musashi.
Otsu is the name of the girl Matahachi left behind in Miyamoto Village. Yeah Matahachi sure is having a tough time in those volumes. You'll see more of him later on.

CowTip said:
Also:
I really liked the scene where Musashi is climbing up the side of the mountain, and despite all his struggle, there's another mountain right behind him that's even taller and it doesn't really phase Musashi. To me it shows that he's really starting to take things much more in stride than he used to. Probably the first step towards gaining Yagyu's level of invincibility.

Yeah, it's neat isn't it!
He climbs this mountain which was pretty tough by the way with that nail injury to his foot.
He achieves his goal, only to be reminded that there is still more to do.

Oh God...
the nail injury.
I think I forcibly removed that event out of my mind because it was so nasty to me.
I love how Musashi can chop up a hundred people, yet it's the nail through the foot that really grosses me out.

Griffith

CowTip said:
he tosses Jotoro at the Yagyu clan.

Yeah, I'm happy to say Inoue manages to keep those nice little human quirks in everyone's personalities, no matter how serious they may be otherwise, right up to the most recent episode. I think it's volume 4 where
Takuan is discussing all the different sides of human nature, and specifically Musashi.

CowTip said:
Also:

Yeah, after his enlightenment with
Yagyu
he seems to finally understand the scope of his undertaking and his place in it.
Like what In'ei told him, he can't know what strong is until he himself is truly strong.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Otsu is the name of the girl Matahachi left behind in Miyamoto Village. Yeah Matahachi sure is having a tough time in those volumes. You'll see more of him later on.

Actually, CowTip was referring to another one of Matahatchi's ladies;
Kiku, the one he sleeps with under her husband's roof.
:den:

Th3Branded0ne said:
Yeah, it's neat isn't it!
He climbs this mountain which was pretty tough by the way with that nail injury to his foot.
He achieves his goal, only to be reminded that there is still more to do.
Yeah, still one of my favorite little moments. :mushigrin:

CowTip said:
Oh God...
the nail injury.
I think I forcibly removed that event out of my mind because it was so nasty to me.
I love how Musashi can chop up a hundred people, yet it's the nail through the foot that really grosses me out.
I think that's because it's something we can all relate to. :mushiugh:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

I finished Vol. 13 over the weekend. :mushigrin:

Volume 10:
Musashi's battle with the four chief disciples of the Yagyu school was pretty epic. It's amazing how far he's come in such a short time. Plus it also shows just how skilled Inshun was in comparison to the four disciples, since Musashi is fighting all four at the same time (and winning). I was really stoked when he drew his wakizashi in addition to his katana, but a little bummed when he got rid of the short sword so quickly. Little did I know his fighting with both swords was just around the corner...

Volume 11:
Musashi's encounter with Sekishusai was a little surprising to me. For starters, despite what Musashi has done in the past, killing a sleeping old man just didn't seem like something he'd do. This volume had some of the coolest art in the series so far. I really enjoyed the depictions of Sekishusai blocking Musashi's sword with his back/crotch scratcher. The way it seemed to wrap around the sword itself was very cool, even though it was all in Musashi's head. I was disappointed that he left Jotaro and Otsu behind, but I'm sure they'll meet again someday.

Volume 12:
Well Matahatchi's deception finally cost him something dear. Uncle Gon was a lot more badass than he seemed at first, and I really enjoyed Matahatchi's flashback to right before he left with Takezo. It was pretty heartwarming, which made his loss all the more difficult. Shishido Baiken/Tsujikaze Kohei's confrontation with the man who called Matahatchi out was a great way to show Baiken's devastating ability with the kusarigama, which made his upcoming fight with Musashi all the greater to look forward to. I'm really glad I purchased both Vol. 12 and 13 at the same time, otherwise that cliffhanger would've been a real killer.

Volume 13:
This volume was awesome. The fight between Musashi and Baiken culminating with Musashi finally drawing both swords and wounding Baiken was incredible. Inoue's art is pretty insane, especially the way he draws textures and the incredible amount of detail he puts into the surrounding environments of his characters. His portrayal of realistic violence and the sheer brutality of life and death combat is on another level, too. I literally felt sick to my stomach when Kohei's wound (given to him by the actual Sasaki Kojirou) opened up after killing the original Shishido Baiken. It was just so graphically real. It was nice to see a bit about Kohei's past at the end of the volume. No wonder he hated his brother so much and was so infuriated at Musashi for taking away his only purpose in life. Hopefully he and Rindou have a pleasent life together now that he can no longer use the sword or kusarigama.

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
I finished Vol. 13 over the weekend. :mushigrin:

Cool, I can garuntee that won't be the last time you read that one! I am right now as a matter of fact. :mushiguts:

My spoilers correspond to the same volumes labeled in Rhombaad's quoted post.

Rhombaad said:
Volume 10:
Musashi's battle with the four chief disciples of the Yagyu school was pretty epic. It's amazing how far he's come in such a short time. Plus it also shows just how skilled Inshun was in comparison to the four disciples, since Musashi is fighting all four at the same time (and winning). I was really stoked when he drew his wakizashi in addition to his katana, but a little bummed when he got rid of the short sword so quickly. Little did I know his fighting with both swords was just around the corner...

Yeah, as I've said before, the sequencing of that battle is one of the most amazing I've seen in comics. It reallys comes to life and gives a sense of action like out of a moving picture with all the different things happening between the battle and Otsu. I believe it also marks the first time that Musashi thanks a former opponent, in this case Inshun, for preparing him for this.

Rhombaad said:
Volume 11:
Musashi's encounter with Sekishusai was a little surprising to me. For starters, despite what Musashi has done in the past, killing a sleeping old man just didn't seem like something he'd do. This volume had some of the coolest art in the series so far. I really enjoyed the depictions of Sekishusai blocking Musashi's sword with his back/crotch scratcher. The way it seemed to wrap around the sword itself was very cool, even though it was all in Musashi's head. I was disappointed that he left Jotaro and Otsu behind, but I'm sure they'll meet again someday.

One of the more enigmatic volumes, it's kind of the dividing point of the series for me; there's BS and AS, the AS standing for "after Sekishusai", and obviously everything before is clearly BS. =)

Kidding about that of course, though not it being the epicenter of the series. It really does feel like a turning point in the series, as it is in Musashi's life.

Rhombaad said:
Volume 12:
Well Matahatchi's deception finally cost him something dear. Uncle Gon was a lot more badass than he seemed at first, and I really enjoyed Matahatchi's flashback to right before he left with Takezo. It was pretty heartwarming, which made his loss all the more difficult. Shishido Baiken/Tsujikaze Kohei's confrontation with the man who called Matahatchi out was a great way to show Baiken's devastating ability with the kusarigama, which made his upcoming fight with Musashi all the greater to look forward to. I'm really glad I purchased both Vol. 12 and 13 at the same time, otherwise that cliffhanger would've been a real killer.

Haha, tell that to Viz Big. =)
Yeah, the stuff with Matahachi and Gon is some if Mata's best. My favorite part of this volume though is the mountain climb at the beginning and the showing Musashi's journey. It was good to see some change and balance, seeing Musashi dominating some lesser opponents rather than just watching him struggle and hang on to overcome the most challenging situations he could put himself in. Also a great representation of his change after encounter Sekishusai and the internalization of his training.

Rhombaad said:
Volume 13:
This volume was awesome. The fight between Musashi and Baiken culminating with Musashi finally drawing both swords and wounding Baiken was incredible. Inoue's art is pretty insane, especially the way he draws textures and the incredible amount of detail he puts into the surrounding environments of his characters. His portrayal of realistic violence and the sheer brutality of life and death combat is on another level, too. I literally felt sick to my stomach when Kohei's wound (given to him by the actual Sasaki Kojirou) opened up after killing the original Shishido Baiken. It was just so graphically real. It was nice to see a bit about Kohei's past at the end of the volume. No wonder he hated his brother so much and was so infuriated at Musashi for taking away his only purpose in life. Hopefully he and Rindou have a pleasent life together now that he can no longer use the sword or kusarigama.

Yeah, simply one of the best volumes in the series. Lots of cool stuff as you already described. The battle is fantastic and so are the flashbacks and aftermath and everything else. The graphic, and I guess specific, way that Musashi wins really makes it stand out. One of my favorite little moments is the one where Musashi gets over his father, just out of nowhere he makes peace with it in the moment. The strangest moment to me though, not unexpectedly, is ninja Matahatchi's sudden interference and departure. This also marks the first mention of the infamous "Spiral of Death and Killing." I also really love the reveal on the real Sasaki Kojiro, talk about ominous.

Kohei's story is pretty disturbing I must say, I re-read it recently though and enjoyed it's segue back into the early volumes, Kohei's character then and now overall.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー

Hey guys, I believe I read Vagabond (only the first Volume) back in '02, if I remember correctly. I always wanted to read it further but never ever got the chance. I see so many people from this site that actually show just as much appreciation for it as Berserk and I'm in the mood to read something along these lines. I'm going to pick it all up soon and start reading. I'm sure I'll get wrapped up and catch up quick but I'm actually pretty excited. Thanks for having this area always haunting my past and making me do something I should have done long ago.
:guts:

Griffith

Welcome to the Inn, Ko Ninja! :mushigrin:

Always good to have a new vagabond come and stay for a while, I hope you make it a long while and look forward to more posts from you.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Well, I was doing that volume by single volume, so I don't sympathize. =)

Though I think there might actually be an advantage to reading it that way because you to get to spend more time with and really get to know each individual volume inside and out. I'm sure you can do the same with the BIGs, but it'd still give everything... a little different identity.

That's so true for new readers I would recommend taking your time to read Vagabond. I know it may be hard because it just gets so addicting but in the long run it's better, you will get to know the story very well and almost not forgot the previous volumes you have read. Unfortunately I didn't do that so know I am back to re-reading, although for me it's a treat to re-read Vagabond since I have all the volumes up to date.:mushiguts:

I decided to check this out after re-reading Berserk and seeing Griffith's sig. I read the first three volumes online and I loved it. The comic book store near me only had a few volumes (7, 12 and 15) and they were at a surprisingly good price so I had them order me volumes 1-20, minus the three I mentioned, which I bought and took home. Anyway, I absolutely love it thus far and I plan to re-read everything I've read online once my physical copies arrive.

Griffith

That's awesome, Shane! Glad you fell for Vagabond like all of us, and glad to have you at the Inn. Man, I can't wait until all you "new readers" get caught up and we can have some prolonged discussions in the episode thread, it'll be much livelier with so many more points of view moving the greater dialogue along. Anyway Shane, looking forward to hearing more from you, hope your volumes arrive soon, and happy reading!

P.S. I've updated the Tankōbon section everyone, so if anybody wants to have a look at all the covers, titles, and other volume info (watch out for spoilers in the story descriptions though) currently available, have at it. Also, there's links to where you can order them at the top, as well as in my sig at the bottom.

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9973.0

Good to hear about the updates Griff. I have got to say that my favourite cover for Vagabond is volume 29. :slan:

Thanks for the warm welcome Griff and although you did it indirectly, thanks for getting me curious about Vagabond. It really is wonderful. I'm told I should get my volumes by next week on Friday. I hope I can offer some decent input here once I'm all caught up.

Griffith

slan69 said:
Good to hear about the updates Griff. I have got to say that my favourite cover for Vagabond is volume 29. :slan:

No prob, I try to keep it up to date. I really should find a better way to publicize it though, maybe have open thread copies of those out in the main Inn board?

And favorite cover... hmmm...

Shane said:
Thanks for the warm welcome Griff and although you did it indirectly, thanks for getting me curious about Vagabond. It really is wonderful. I'm told I should get my volumes by next week on Friday. I hope I can offer some decent input here once I'm all caught up.

Anytime man, looking forward to what you think, and it really is the biggest compliment you could pay this place to say it helped get you into Vagabond, so thanks.

宮本 グリフィス said:
No prob, I try to keep it up to date. I really should find a better way to publicize it though, maybe have open thread copies of those out in the main Inn board?

And favorite cover... hmmm...

That sounds like a fine idea to me. Don't worry I was just joking I like all the covers for Vagabond. :mushiguts:

Top Bottom