New Readers (No Spoilers)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Jesterhead said:
While in Chapters filling in some gaps in my Dark Horse Berserk volumes, I decided to finally pick up some Vagabond! VizBigs 3 in 1 volumes really make this easy and affordable to buy! Can't wait to get home to start reading it!
Glad to hear that, let us know what you think! :badbone:

Griffith said:
Well, you're not missing anything at the moment, we're still waiting to discuss the next events as well, whenever that may be. I'm looking forward to it myself.

I'm sure next year will be eventful for Vagabond. For the first time, I totally believe Inoue when he says he's gonna finish it at the end of 2011... I guess... :casca:

Jesterhead said:
Can't wait to get home to start reading it!

Nice. You won't regret it, it's a hell of a journey. Along with Berserk, it's the only other manga I follow the prepublication.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Griffith said:
Glad to hear that, let us know what you think! :badbone:

Well I bought 4 Vizbig books (so 12 volumes), and I read 11 volumes last night!

I'm really enjoying it so far. I instantly connected with Musashi, Matahatchi, and Otsu. I can't wait to catch up! The art work is really quite stunning!

slan69 said:
Me to. :ganishka: Jokes aside, I am glad to hear that you are enjoying Vagabond.

I personally don't understand how someone can't connect to Matahachi. I think that everyone connects with at least a few aspects of his personality, even if they don't realize that at first.
Like Musashi, he changes a lot in the story, goes through a lot of terrible things, runs away from lots of situations and learns to face many others.
I've yet to meet someone that, unlike him, immediately knows how to bravely deal with everything that happens in life without making (or consider making) cowardly decisions first. :SK:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Vol. 30 the other night.
I'm really starting to get weirded out by ghostly Ueda and sloggo (the name Griff gave to Musashi's specter in Gutsfield a year or two ago).
I enjoyed the conversation between Koetsu and Takuan about swords and their beauty, as well as Musashi's conversation with the Kyoto shoshidai (whose name I can't remember). As usual, I'm looking forward to the coming volumes and keeping my fingers crossed that Musashi regains his ability to walk/stand. Otherwise, I think Kojiro is going to make short work of him, hehe.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Volume 31:
I did not expect to see Musashi facing off against Ittousai anytime soon. What a way to end a volume. I'll be picking up the next two right after I get my paycheck next month. I can't wait to be all caught up so I can read the series from the beginning again.

The Matahachi portion of the volume was handled incredibly well. It's nice to see his character evolving from a lying coward to someone strong enough to admit he's weak. I really enjoyed the flash forward to Matahachi telling villagers about him and Musashi. Especially when they keep demanding he get back to Musashi's story! I feel like that occasionally myself, haha. :ganishka:

Well, I'm all caught up. I wasn't expecting Inoue to stop right in the middle of a developing storyline and am eager to see how things progress with
Kojiro and his new position. I have a feeling he's gonna be okay. :ganishka:

I really enjoyed the encounter between Musashi and Ittousai, as well as Ittousai's flashback to losing his thumb and fingers. That moment when Kojiro let out his scream and instantly became calm was pretty incredible. One of my favorite parts so far.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Brand new to this series, I have a few volumes a friend gave me, but they're mismatched...like 2 and 11 or something. I absolutely love the art. The story and who it's based on always seemed fascinating to me. I think I'm going to look for vol 1. so I can start this series! I've only heard good things about it.

PS: I like that when you scroll over the Vagabond emoticons it says Berserk names. Heehee.

Griffith

Aphasia said:
Brand new to this series, I have a few volumes a friend gave me, but they're mismatched...like 2 and 11 or something. I absolutely love the art. The story and who it's based on always seemed fascinating to me. I think I'm going to look for vol 1. so I can start this series! I've only heard good things about it.

You won't regret it, it's transcendent. Let us know when you jump in.

Aphasia said:
PS: I like that when you scroll over the Vagabond emoticons it says Berserk names. Heehee.

Yeah, that's a consequence of my little roundabout solution for implementing separate Vagabond emots on this board. :ganishka:

Hello, quite new here. I just started reading Vagabond. I've gone through two volumes so far, and it seems like a good manga. Everyone here says it gets even better as it goes on, so I'm going to stick with it. Besides I need something to hold me over for more Berserk. :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
MrSmit said:
Hello, quite new here. I just started reading Vagabond. I've gone through two volumes so far, and it seems like a good manga. Everyone here says it gets even better as it goes on, so I'm going to stick with it. Besides I need something to hold me over for more Berserk. :carcus:

Welcome to the Inn! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Vagabond. Feel free to share your thoughts with us as you go along.

So I just read Vagabond and finished it. I started a lot of times but never finished reading the whole manga.

Now my question is: are the new episodes/chapters released in a Berserk way, or more frequent?

So basically do we have to wait months for even news of a new episode/chapter?

And I really enjoyed Vagabond, not as much as Berserk. But it was an awesome read, especially the fighting scenes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
So I just read Vagabond and finished it. I started a lot of times but never finished reading the whole manga.

Now my question is: are the new episodes/chapters released in a Berserk way, or more frequent?

So basically do we have to wait months for even news of a new episode/chapter?

And I really enjoyed Vagabond, not as much as Berserk. But it was an awesome read, especially the fighting scenes.
Vagabond is serialized in Kodansha's Weekly Morning magazine, similar to how Berserk is serialized in Hakusensha's Young Animal. Weekly Morning is a weekly, but Inoue is now on a monthly schedule. For years, he would release a chapter a week, then take extended breaks (sometimes for 1-2 years). He's recently returned from a long hiatus.

You're in for a ride, have fun ^_^.

My first reading was quick, sort of like when you're hungry, you eat real fast and forget to breathe. And I've been going back to it repeatedly ever since heh.

Thanks ! I'm gonna read slowly because I don't really have much time these days. I want to read the serie since the first volume have been released in France (March, 24 of 2001) anyway. So I've been very patient :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ryouma said:
Thanks ! I'm gonna read slowly because I don't really have much time these days. I want to read the serie since the first volume have been released in France (March, 24 of 2001) anyway. So I've been very patient :serpico:
That's my recommendation for your first time reading. There are a lot of amazing details to appreciate in this series, and not just in the art. It's a contemplative journey. Blazing through it in a day or two wouldn't do it justice.

Griffith

Yeah, take your time, enjoy the journey, and think of it as your own little spiritual journey away from your busy life. I still have fond memories of simultaneously reading the novel Musashi and re-reading the volumes, back when there were only a dozen or so and a new one was so exciting, while living in little room with no electricity that opened up to a sprawling outdoors and a great tree which I fought a duel under with my bokken. If you're wondering how much of that was a metaphor for the adventure of reading it, the answer is none. :slan:

Top Bottom