New Season of South Park...

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
JESUS! They burned Isaac Hayes and Scientology so bad in the newest episodes, for those who didn't see it, you really missed out. The paralleled the hell out of the controversial situation that's been going on in the past week and ripped into Scientology more than they did in the "In the Closet" episode. People, YOUTUBE.COM will be your friend in the next few days -- trust me :guts:

Long Live South Park :void:

I've heard about Isaac Hayes quitting and such (although at SA there are people saying someone else made him quit) but wow, that's hilarious. I'll be looking out for that episode. :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Bleak Harvest said:
JESUS! They burned Isaac Hayes and Scientology so bad in the newest episodes, for those who didn't see it, you really missed out. The paralleled the hell out of the controversial situation that's been going on in the past week and ripped into Scientology more than they did in the "In the Closet" episode. People, YOUTUBE.COM will be your friend in the next few days -- trust me :guts:

Long Live South Park :void:
I'm pretty sure Isaac Hayes knew it was coming... I saw the stuff at SA about he was forced to by the Scientology head group or face reprecusions, but thats just speculation. Anyways though, I hope to see it one of these days :judo:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I watched the so-called controversial "Trapped In The Closet" episode and was amazed at how unfunny it actually was, subject matter aside. This is the same feeling I've gotten from South Park for years now. I think the "satire" aspect of the show has become a cover for the fact that Trey Parker and Matt Stone haven't had a creative or funny thought in about a decade. It's just the lowest common denominator, so one-dimensional and fundamental that there's almost literally no context for genuine humor (the jokes all being the same tired shit doesn't help either). As subtle and engaging as someone shouting their opinions in your face, covering you in their fervent slaver, and then farting in it for good measure. Basically, it's about as funny as The O'Reilly Factor.

The only thing South Park is satirizing now is itself.

CnC

Ad Oculos
On average I'd say I enjoy south park episodes.

They, for the most part, have that "current headlines shock-factor satire"-thing going for them. But you can't ride that wave for 22 minutes, it just doesn't work.

I found episodes such as the Katrina satire one and the Wal-mart one pretty damn funny.

This last one was humerous, but not really all that great. I found the idea of taking Isaac Hayes voice over the past few seasons, cutting it up and putting it together to make chef look like a pedophile funny for about 2 minutes. The "this is what 'super world adventures' actually believe" dig a scientology was funny for the 10 seconds it was on screen. Thats 2:10 minutes of funny with the rest being filler. Not a good average.

What about when that guy was asking the children where chief had touched them? That was hilarious! And when chief was killed.

For 22 min. I found it funny enough.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
They, for the most part, have that "current headlines shock-factor satire"-thing going for them.  But you can't ride that wave for 22 minutes, it just doesn't work.

Exactly, they pretty much just take whatever is in the news and then dump on it with their "edgy" satire (poop jokes, stereotypes, obnoxious voices, and exaggerated cliches, wowie). Once you get over the hype, which has carried it from the beginning, the show just isn't very funny. Not to mention that it's so heavy handed in it's subject matter now, it's patronizing the audience. Anyway, like you said, there's usually a couple of witty moments, but it's mostly the same old schtick or one-liner dragged out for a half hour including commercials.

Top Bottom