Duranki - New series for the studio of Kentarō Miura

So now that I have time, here's more information about this series.

It's based on Mesopotamian mythology, and specifically on the religion of Sumer. For reference that's one of the earliest known civilizations, older than 4000 BC. The best known myth from that era is the story of Gilgamesh, but that's not what this story is about. The title, Duranki, refers to "E-dur-an-ki", a temple for the god Enlil that once stood in the city of Nippur. The name "E-dur-an-ki" means "House of the link between heaven and earth."

Courtesy of @puella, The little blurb on the promotional page says:

Ah, so Duranki is the then-unnamed project that Miura alluded to in that French magazine interview earlier this year? It's kinda strange though, because I imagined that project to be something by him personally (a sequel to Gigantomachia, for example) rather than by Studio Gaga.

The word "interstice" here is the same one used in Berserk, with the same meaning.

Still, fans should not expect Duranki to be set in the same fictional universe as Berserk. Just sayin', in case people start giving too much thought to the word "interstice" :shrug:

And for the guy who was curious, in volume 40, Miura's staff is listed as being Yoshihiro Kurosaki, Akio Miyaji, Nobuhiro Hirai, Naohide Nagashima. I expect these people are involved here, but we won't know for sure until YA details it.

If you ever get to write another letter to Miura, you should ask him whether he intends for Studio Gaga to become a brand-name mangaka collective like Clamp or whether he envisions it as an "incubator" for discovering, creating and breaking in the next generation of young manga artists. If Duranki becomes successful, you can reasonably imagine at least one of the above mentioned people becoming the next household name mangaka in the future.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, so Duranki is the then-unnamed project that Miura alluded to in that French magazine interview earlier this year?

Well, yeah. I think that was clear from the moment it was announced. The information I posted didn't change anything in that regard.

It's kinda strange though, because I imagined that project to be something by him personally (a sequel to Gigantomachia, for example) rather than by Studio Gaga.

The original concept is from him and he's supervising it as a producer. Keep in mind he still has Berserk to finish, so he doesn't have a lot of available time for other projects.

Still, fans should not expect Duranki to be set in the same fictional universe as Berserk. Just sayin', in case people start giving too much thought to the word "interstice"

Sure, though I don't think anyone was going to be mistaken about this.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Itd be my first time trying to buy another magazine other then the regular young animal. Do you think there will be a pre-order for the young animal zero and if so, its happening a week before? (Cause I think the issue is gettting out on the 9th of sept which turns out to be a mondayif I'm not wrong)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Itd be my first time trying to buy another magazine other then the regular young animal. Do you think there will be a pre-order for the young animal zero and if so, its happening a week before? (Cause I think the issue is gettting out on the 9th of sept which turns out to be a mondayif I'm not wrong)

The link will be posted in due time.

Looks very interesting, my only problem is that i don't like how much skin we see of the young girl.

Looks very interesting, my only problem is that i don't like how much skin we see of the young girl.
She comes off as pretty tomboyish to me, which might be the whole point of her easy-fitting garb and seeming lack of inhibitions. It's hard to properly say until we've actually seen what her character is like, but I don't think there's necessarily any sexual implication going on with her looks.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads-up about the digital release!

The setting and depiction of growing up as a kid in the company of gods is pretty fresh material. Very much looking forward to seeing where they take the series. The art itself evokes Miura's signature style, and looks pretty. Tough to weigh in further without a translation.

Top Bottom