New Super Mario Bros

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IGN's review is out and it looks like the game is a new classic indeed.

With the NDS Lite being released on June 11 in the USA for $129.99, nothing's holding this back from becoming the most popular platformer for 2006. :badbone:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
IGN's review is out and it looks like the game is a new classic indeed.

With the NDS Lite being released on June 11 in the USA for $129.99, nothing's holding this back from becoming the most popular platformer for 2006. :badbone:

Already got my DS Lite and Mario game reserved, baby!  :guts:
"New classic indeed", this game looks to be very entertaining and I can't wait to get my greedy hands on it and the new Castlevania later in the year!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
The new mario looks pretty interesting, haven't really played any platform games in a loooooooong time.

Well, that's a good reason to start playing one again (keeping things on topic :guts:).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great, as I expected. Although in the review, the guy says his favorite platformer was Yoshi's Island? Blasphemy. While that was a fun romp, Super Mario World is king.

Regardless, I look forward to playing it as soon as I can.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Super Mario World is king.

Well, the guy's saying there's a "New" king. :carcus: Anyway that 9.5/10 is honestly nothing less from what I expected. I was hoping this game would be memorable, actually I awaited it like a Messiah. So... yeah, looking forward to playing it too. :guts:

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
... Speaking of Super Mario, anyone here seen this?: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2139555376132383479
Ahh, truly reminds me of the good old days of playing the Nintendo & Super Nintendo.. :D

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Dark Wanderer said:
... Speaking of Super Mario, anyone here seen this?: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2139555376132383479
Ahh, truly reminds me of the good old days of playing the Nintendo & Super Nintendo.. :D
Oh man, that was so awesome! :guts:

Looking foward to playing the new Mario game, I've been craving a platformer ever since my love for the genre got re-sparked by Doukutsu.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Looks like I'm finally pitching in for a DS. Glad to see that Mario still has his appeal.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The game sold 480,000 units on its launch day in Japan (which was on May 25). :isidro: The name really sums it up perfectly: it's the Super Mario Bros craze all over again, like in the NES days.

Did anybody in the US have the chance to try it yet by the way? We've got to wait until June 30 here... :puck:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
The game sold 480,000 units on its launch day in Japan (which was on May 25). :isidro: The name really sums it up perfectly: it's the Super Mario Bros craze all over again, like in the NES days.

Did anybody in the US have the chance to try it yet by the way? We've got to wait until June 30 here... :puck:
Me and the wife went to Fukuoka for the weekend (3 day at that!) and we went to a Toy'sR'Us... she wanted to get one but all the Nintendo DS's were sold out. :isidro:

EDIT: That and they had a really cheesy (didnt really show anything) demo of Mother 3 (earthbound for you american only types).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Damn, I'd buy a DS now if I weren't so broke that I've been living off of... campbell's soup. Ugh.

The game looks amazing; certainly worthy of purchasing the DS.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Me and the wife went to Fukuoka for the weekend (3 day at that!) and we went to a Toy'sR'Us... she wanted to get one but all the Nintendo DS's were sold out. :isidro:

Yeah, I heard they're still not over the stock problems over there... It's crazy, they just can't make enough of them it seems.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
That and they had a really cheesy (didnt really show anything) demo of Mother 3 (earthbound for you american only types).

Haha yeah I saw the TV commercials and they were really targeting a nostalgic audience... The game got good reviews though and it sold well enough, I hope it'll be localized.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
After trying my buddy's copy of this game I must say that I'm very impressed and am reminded of the glory days of video gaming. While not the biggest Mario fan I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it and recommend it to just about anyone. (that has a pulse)

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
Well this remake sure brings back memories, now only if we had a remake of Duck Hunt.  I used to play that game for hours on end, but that dog was annoying as hell.  It'd be nice if you could shoot it.

Sadly my original NES and SMB game still works perfectly.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
A Duck Hunt remake would be fun on the DS with the touch screen. :)

I'm planning on getting a DS Light for my birthday present in a couple of weeks. Gotta love redesigns! (even though there probably will be another one in a year or so :serpico:)

Does anyone know the touch-screen is utilized in the game? I've read several reviews and surprisingly none really discuss its use in the gameplay.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
TheBeast43105 said:
Does anyone know the touch-screen is utilized in the game? I've read several reviews and surprisingly none really discuss its use in the gameplay.
Its use is minimal. You use it to warp between worlds you've accessed and use stored power ups.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Raziel said:
Well this remake sure brings back memories, now only if we had a remake of Duck Hunt.

It's not really a remake you know, it's a new game altogether. Some parts at the beginning were made so they'd remind people of the original on purpose but it quickly moves to completely original stuff. Don't think it's just SMB with new graphics or something like that because you'd really be missing out. It's just themed after the classic SMB but it's a real addition to the series, ranking up there with all the others in terms of quality. You could call it SMB5.

IsolatioN said:
A Duck Hunt remake would be fun on the DS with the touch screen. :)

It'd be too easy with the touchscreen. There have been rumors of a Wii version though. :void:

Iscariot

The snack that smiles back!
Not only rumors, Aaz. There was one tiny display at E3:
wiiperiphe203919l.jpg

The wii-mote slides in... And kinda takes the place of a barrel.
Now about the New Super Mario Bros, I'm definitely stoked. This'll probably be the one to get my DS out of hibernation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Iscariot said:
Not only rumors, Aaz. There was one tiny display at E3

The Duck Hunt remake is a rumor, like I said. It hasn't been shown or confirmed. That's just a prototype of a gun there, and it's nothing new (we had an E3 2006 thread, check it out). The gun prototype is actually one of the reasons there were Duck Hunt remake rumors.

Iscariot

The snack that smiles back!
I've read articles discussing the new blaster prototype also bring up a remake, yet I guess it wasn't from Nintendo's mouth... I'll go check the thread you mentioned.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Iscariot said:
I've read articles discussing the new blaster prototype also bring up a remake, yet I guess it wasn't from Nintendo's mouth...

Nope, wasn't from them. They haven't confirmed anything like that for now. It might just be a mini-game that'll come with the system or as a demo of the Virtual Console anyway, so in typical Nintendo fashion I won't be surprised if they announced it 10 days before launch.

Top Bottom