News coverage of Amanda Knox

So for the past couple of days, my news feed has been inundated with Amanda Knox, she was on the cover of my local newspaper, and CNN had live coverage of her case for at least an hour. And in the year before that, I've probably come across at least half a dozen other articles in my news feed. My question is: Why is this case so important?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Change your news feed; I hadn't heard about her since she was convicted until she was un-convicted yesterday. She hasn't even been one of the most over-covered of frivolous stories: Anthony, Casey. But apparently, she will be, and now we're part of the problem.

Here, let's rebel with Nobel:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/science/space/05nobel.html

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
While covering a story here, I had the opportunity to ask an Associated Press reporter why she thought the topic got so much coverage. Her view aligned with mine: She's a relatively attractive, young-looking girl charged with murder in a foreign country. It captivates people because it taps into the fears of parents who send their kids overseas for trips, and for the not so affluent, there's the base "murdering hottie" angle. What makes stories big to the public eye is almost always the conflation of different notions. Example, in OJ Simpson it was "football" and "murder."

Top Bottom