News & Not News Megathread

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Good thing they didn't go to far. Last thing you want is the Punisher after you. :isidro:

punisher4.jpg

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?articleId=47781138&channelId=2951&buyerId=newsmeatcom&buid=3281
A CHICKEN IN EVERY POT(HOLE)
Call it shovel-ready public relations. In March, Kentucky Fried Chicken, owned by Yum!, spent $3,000 to finance the repair of 350 potholes in Louisville, then sprayed each spot with the message: "Re-freshed by KFC." "We thought we could refresh the streets and try a new form of advertising," says KFC spokeswoman Laurie Schalow, adding that the chalk ads fade out in a month. KFC plans to run similar repair programs in other cities, including Chattanooga and Warren, Ohio. Will asphalt ads bring more traffic to KFC outlets? Brand consultant Laura Ries is skeptical. "What does deep-fried chicken have to do with potholes?" she asks.

I guess all its fair in advertising.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
At the very least, it's a decent thing to do.

Yeah and that's precisely why it's intelligent. People will see it and their opinion of KFC will be ameliorated because they'll see the company as using its funds to care for citizens. It's a easy and very cheap ($3000) way to be locally seen as the good guys. Even if it doesn't immediately translate to more clients, it's the kind of thing that goes a long way.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_on_re_us/us_school_dance_flap
FINDLAY, Ohio – A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.

Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

England said Frost's family should not be surprised by the school's position.

"For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous," he said. "It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to."

The principal at Findlay High School, whose graduates include Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, said he respects, but does not agree with, Heritage Christian School's view of prom.

"I don't see (dancing and rock music) as immoral acts," Craig Kupferberg said.

Gosh darn kids and their dang gone prom! :mozgus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

Let it be known that dancing displeases God.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
rock and roll "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

I laughed at that.

Music didn't plant the seeds of rebellion. The parents did.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Giant blob found deep beneath Nevada
The blob, which drips like honey, is between 15 and 20 million years old

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30949358/

Just ... what the hell IS IT?!

A

avidwriter

Walter said:

What no pictures? It might be some kind of mineral deposit that broke down with water over the years and turned into this "blob" that now drips...who knows.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Reading the article, it's actually a very boring and probably common geological phenomenon.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
ENOUGH with your blobs! More about this Goat!

http://www.worldculturepictorial.com/blog/content/billy-goat-lance-corporal-william-windsor-retires-royal-welsh-regiment-mascot-with-full-mili

From his gleaming headplate to his immaculately groomed whiskers, Lance Corporal William Windsor looked every inch the proud old soldier as he left camp for the last time yesterday. He has seen service overseas, met royalty and led every battalion parade, but after eight years on the job, it is time for William Windsor to retire. But unlike other old soldiers, this veteran will be spending his final days in a zoo - because he is the regimental goat, better known as Billy.

His send-off came with full military pomp and ceremony - befitting-his lifetime's service with the 1st Battalion the Royal Welsh. Cheering comrades lined the route from his pen to the trailer waiting to take him to the Whipsnade Zoo in Bedfordshire, where the Army veteran informally known as Billy the Goat will spend his honorable retirement.

William Windsor, mascot of England's 1st Battalion, appears at his retirement parade after seven years of UK Army service. The Battalion, known as The Royal Welsh, has had a goat in its ranks for more than 200 years

Captain Nick Zorab said: ‘The soldiers themselves love having him - it's a bit of a novelty in these days. He's very friendly and not aggressive at all. He likes being out and about and meeting people. We have never had any complaints. When people hear that we have a goat among the battalion, they think we must be kidding. But having a goat among our ranks is a tradition we have had for over 200 years.’

The history of the regimental goat dates back to the American War of Independence when a wild goat wandered on to a battlefield and ended up leading the regimental Colours at the end of a battle.
In 1844, Queen Victoria presented the first Royal goat, and since then most have been presented by the sovereign.

The regimental goat is considered a full member of the battalion. He marches in front of the Battalion on all ceremonial duties and is much loved by all ranks. He has a full time carer known as the Goat Major who ensures the welfare of the goat at all times. Billy’s replacement will be unveiled in June when a kid will be collected from a herd on the Great Orme, North Wales.

For the most part Billy has served as unbleatingly as a goat can - although he did once butt heads with top brass when he was temporarily demoted for not marching in time. He spent two-and-a-half years overseas in Cyprus when the battalion was posted over there and has lived in Chester since their return. During his time in Cyprus, he was disciplined and temporarily demoted from his rank of Lance Corporal to Fusilier for not marching in time during a parade for the Queen's birthday.

william-windsor_goat_mascot.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
During his time in Cyprus, he was disciplined and temporarily demoted from his rank of Lance Corporal to Fusilier for not marching in time during a parade for the Queen's birthday.

Maybe he was feeling sheepish that day. :troll:

"Satanic rituals", huh? From the very same people who claim that Jews make bread with the blood of Arab children, why am I not surprised to hear this. I guess the Iranian government will comb every inch of their country to stamp out even an ordinary rock concert.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/05/27/74002.html

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Th3Branded0ne said:
Or maybe it was a conspiracy for it to be demoted. So he was the perfect scapegoat. :troll:

Well, the Government is always trying to pull the wool over our eyes. :troll:

This to me is shocking news:

:isidro: :isidro: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090531/ap_on_sp_te_ga_su/ten_french_open_93 :isidro: :isidro:

I know it's not shocking in the same sense as some of the other news posted on this thread but still.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090601/od_nm/us_swiss_car_odd

ZURICH (Reuters) – A car traveling on a motorway in Switzerland lost all four wheels simultaneously, coming to an immediate halt in the middle of the highway, police said on Saturday.

The car had just stopped and the passengers had changed from winter to summer wheels themselves, a common task in Switzerland where there is plenty of snow in winter, but used the wrong nuts when mounting the new set.

"When they then drove back on to the motorway, all of the wheels disconnected," St Gallen cantonal police said in a statement. "Luckily, no one was injured and no other vehicle was damaged."

This is even better since I just got through an entire ordeal fixing my tires. :ganishka:

Really they should have know better.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/06/obama.threat.arrest/index.html
A man accused of making threatening statements about killing President Obama has been arrested in Nevada, the Secret Service said Saturday.
It's not necessarily BIG NEWS, but what I found funny/interesting was his rant at the end of the article that sounds like something an evil Doc Brown might say.

"We are 94 million miles from the sun, and are in-between the sun and moon, and the eagle that flies between them and it's a giant step for mankind. ... I have traveled thousands of miles to be here and know things that are going to happen. ... the banking system will fail and people will die. ... there will be chaos in the world," Murray said, according to the complaint.
Wow!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/06/obama.threat.arrest/index.htmlIt's not necessarily BIG NEWS, but what I found funny/interesting was his rant at the end of the article that sounds like something an evil Doc Brown might say.

Haha holy shit, now that's a real lunatic. "THE STARS ARE ALIGNED, THE TRUE GODS WILL RETURN! 9/11 WAS PLANNED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT! LET ME SEE OBAMA'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE, HE'S AN ALIEN I TELL YOU!! :mozgus:"

Top Bottom