NIN Ghosts 1

Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I (2008)

Hello from Nine Inch Nails.

We\\\'re very proud to present a new collection of instrumental music, Ghosts I-IV. Almost two hours of music recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I-IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Now that we\\\'re no longer constrained by a record label, we\\\'ve decided to personally upload Ghosts I, the first of the four volumes, to various torrent sites, because we believe BitTorrent is a revolutionary digital distribution method, and we believe in finding ways to utilize new technologies instead of fighting them.

We encourage you to share the music of Ghosts I with your friends, post it on your website, play it on your podcast, use it for video projects, etc. It\\\'s licensed for all non-commercial use under Creative Commons.

We\\\'ve also made a 40 page PDF book to accompany the album. If you\\\'d like to download it for free, visit Ghosts - Email

Ghosts I is the first part of the 36 track collection Ghosts I-IV. Undoubtedly you\\\'ll be able to find the complete collection on the same torrent network you found this file, but if you\\\'re interested in the release, we encourage you to check it out at ghosts.nin.com, where the complete Ghosts I-IV is available directly from us in a variety of DRM-free digital formats, including FLAC lossless, for only $5. You can also order it on CD, or as a deluxe package with multitrack audio files, high definition audio on Blu-ray disc, and a large hard-bound book.

We genuinely appreciate your support, and hope you enjoy the new music. Thanks for listening.

Don't even care if the music is any good or not, just the fact that they're doing it makes me want to give money to them.

*seriously I actually just gave money to them for this right now before listening to it, I never do that*

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/home

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Bekul said:
*seriously I actually just gave money to them for this right now before listening to it, I never do that*

Well, it looks like they suckered you into their trap perfectly. :ganishka:

Anyway, I'll get it, it's even cooler than the Radiohead thing, no "set your own price" guilt trip. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, the fact that it's all instrumental pleases me greatly. But though I paid $5, so far Ive been unable to actually download the thing due to its popularity. Their server wont let me get past about 3 megs of downloading before it fails.

A new age of distribution brings with it a new age of customer service (or lack thereof) :puck:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well I take the news that it's all instrumental a bit less enthusiastically. When the music has more of a melody and hook I usually will end up really liking it. But sometimes Reznor will put that looping noise at the end of his songs for waay too long (sometimes like 30 seconds to a minute) and that usually bugs me enough to skip to the next track. The absence of a vocal track can mean that lot of these tracks can fall into an ambient loop that I usually don't like.

I'll check it out, though, as the price is right :guts:

Griffith

Am I paranoid to think that by getting their official torrent my IP is possibly being logged for future tracking? IT'S A TRAP! :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
Am I paranoid to think that by getting their official torrent my IP is possibly being logged for future tracking? IT'S A TRAP! :troll:
There's an official torrent?! I sure haven't found it...

CnC said:
Well I take the news that it's all instrumental a bit less enthusiastically. When the music has more of a melody and hook I usually will end up really liking it. But sometimes Reznor will put that looping noise at the end of his songs for waay too long (sometimes like 30 seconds to a minute) and that usually bugs me enough to skip to the next track. The absence of a vocal track can mean that lot of these tracks can fall into an ambient loop that I usually don't like.

I'll check it out, though, as the price is right :guts:
See, for me, this kind of music is great for the background when you're doing anything else. I love atmospheric music. For instance, I LOVED the Quake 1 soundtrack Reznor did back in 1996. No vocals there, and it's awesome. But having him screeching into my ear about You Let Me Stick My Fingers In or You Let Me Swallow It All Down, just doesn't really cut the mustard when I'm checking CNN. I say, bring on the instrumental.

Griffith

Walter said:
There's an official torrent?! I sure haven't found it...

Just like press release says, check the pirate bay, it's there, or at least something claiming to be from them. I wonder how they'll feel about the unofficial torrents of this album, like of their flacs for example. =)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Yay, another NIN thread! I'm pleased with what I've heard so far being such a fan of And All That Could Have Been as I was.
It makes me happy when I could listen to this while relaxing or doing other things, seeing as how Trent's lyrics on newer albums have been completely ridiculous. I remember when his lyrics were vague and you could kind of make the song mean what you wanted it to. I have no doubt that this new project is going to sell like hotcakes, Trent could pretty much put out an album of himself masterbating into an industrial strength fan (See "Fixed") and sell a million copies. The deluxe and ultra editions are very nicely packaged and the 75 dollar set seems like a good choice. The ultra edition, even though signed by Trent himself, is not worth 300 dollars to even me. It will sell out though, I've seen some pretty obsessive Halo collectors in my day.

Oh sweet kick ass, NIN's recent (somewhat more than urgent) server upgrade finally kicked in - ordered it back up on first post, been getting 404's till now because of the overwhelming demand.

*watches wget max out my dl speed*

Crap, and here I am having to go to bed tonight... bah, that's why I have coffee!

Griffith

Ironically, it'd be faster if you could drive to a record store and get it! :troll:

Seriously, guys, this is ridiculous, you could google the torrent and have it to listen to in less than 60 seconds, with their blessing.

True, but in a somwhat related tangent, I always feel slightly guilty about reading Berserk scans without paying for them - and that's why I've now got a couple volumes sitting on my bookshelf, even though I prefer the deeper blacks and larger, clearer visuals of most scans.

Plus, something like this, I want people to take notice and go 'they made *how* much by offering their music for a reasonable amount of money including free?'

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
Seriously, guys, this is ridiculous, you could google the torrent and have it to listen to in less than 60 seconds, with their blessing.
Their "official" torrent is just 1/4 of the full album. Anyway, I ended up getting it through a friend, since I paid my $5, but still couldnt get my product. Im a pirate at heart, I guess :judo:

Griffith

Walter said:
Their "official" torrent is just 1/4 of the full album.

Which do you mean, 1/4 of Ghosts I-IV, or 1/4 of Ghosts I? I've found a versions with only a few songs from Ghosts I, the complete album, and another claiming the whole enchilada.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I just downloaded Ghosts 1 right now... mother fucker has 3600 seeds! :guts:

I'm down with the ambient if its done right and well... to me this is done the way I like it.

CnC I take it you don't like Aphix Twin? :ganishka:

Griffith No More! said:
Which do you mean, 1/4 of Ghosts I-IV, or 1/4 of Ghosts I? I've found a versions with only a few songs from Ghosts I, the complete album, and another claiming the whole enchilada.

If it helps (sorry for the vertical length of this) the complete track listing is as follows:

01 Ghosts I.mp3
02 Ghosts I.mp3
03 Ghosts I.mp3
04 Ghosts I.mp3
05 Ghosts I.mp3
06 Ghosts I.mp3
07 Ghosts I.mp3
08 Ghosts I.mp3
09 Ghosts I.mp3
10 Ghosts II.mp3
11 Ghosts II.mp3
12 Ghosts II.mp3
13 Ghosts II.mp3
14 Ghosts II.mp3
15 Ghosts II.mp3
16 Ghosts II.mp3
17 Ghosts II.mp3
18 Ghosts II.mp3
19 Ghosts III.mp3
20 Ghosts III.mp3
21 Ghosts III.mp3
22 Ghosts III.mp3
23 Ghosts III.mp3
24 Ghosts III.mp3
25 Ghosts III.mp3
26 Ghosts III.mp3
27 Ghosts III.mp3
28 Ghosts IV.mp3
29 Ghosts IV.mp3
30 Ghosts IV.mp3
31 Ghosts IV.mp3
32 Ghosts IV.mp3
33 Ghosts IV.mp3
34 Ghosts IV.mp3
35 Ghosts IV.mp3
36 Ghosts IV.mp3

Though that 'mp3' can also be purchased in FLAC and a couple other formats.

CnC

Ad Oculos
So who here has it? Is it any good? The track names certainly aren't memorable...

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
CnC I take it you don't like Aphix Twin? :ganishka:

...nope. I've listened to a bunch of songs by that guy but it just never stands out to me

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I thought Ghosts was OK. I mostly appreciate it because it made me review Reznor's past stuff and appreciate it more. Well, more than Ghosts anyway :guts: It's just not a very diverse selection of music, even with "4 albums" its really just one long album.

KuroKenshi

ready for Today's sermon??
the whole idea of it being an instrumental soundtrack is a revolutionary idea for such a band to do, if the music is as good as their a warm place song i think were in for something good. perhaps itll replace the silent hill 3 soundtrack on my favorites list. :troll:

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forums, or at least new to posting here :guts:

But yeah, this album is definitely killer. I'll admit I haven't been into Trent's past couple albums (since the Fragile basically) but this release took me by surprise. That and I love Adrian Belew's guitar work.

Top Bottom