Nintendo DS

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: DS Lite

handsome rakshas said:
I think that I was expecting a little too much out of these games. Cooking Mama is neat and and all, but I thought there would be a cute little story mode or something. The whole game just consists of preparing various dishes as fast as you can, and the game really dosen't go anywhere. Its one of those games that you play once in a blue moon for like 10 minutes and then put it away for another six months. I shouldn't complain so much, the game was only $19.99.

Yeah, I see what you mean. These games can be hit or miss really, they're mostly for people that like to constantly try to get better scores. Yoshi Touch & Go is also like that.

handsome rakshas said:
Mega Man ZX is one game that I shouldn't have bad mouthed so quickly. I stopped playing it early because the backtracking became so tiresome. It is not traditional Mega Man style, more like Castlevania-ish free roam. You can choose missions that require you to find a certain item or defeat a certain boss but having to get from one point in the map to another is a pain in the neck.

Ok, I see. Sounds like the usual Megaman Zero game to me to be honest, so it's what I expected. The fact there are 2 characters and the ability to choose between many armors should lend the game some interest once you're a few hours into it.

The DS really kicked the PSP's ass. :beast: The only games I ever play on my PSP are the Metal Gear Ac!d games, Darkstalkers and Dynasty Warriors. I always viewed the UMD movies as a total waste of money and I don't really like most of the PSX ports being brought over. The DS is just so much more fun to play by comparison. I know it lacks in RPGs right now apart from Lunar: Dragon Song, but games like Phoenix Wright or Lost in Blue come pretty close. I think the DS did a good job of opening girls up to gaming more too. My sister hates videogames more than anyone, but she got a DS because of Nintendogs and now she is addicted to Animal Crossing. LOL

Iscariot said:
As big a Nitendo-backer I am, It's practically the same thing, excluding the new screens of course... I might pick one up next year.

I have both a DS and a Lite. IMO the new screens, extended battery life and weight totally justify the purchase. After you use the Lite you will not be able to go back to the original DS without feeling like you are going blind. XD I'm probably going to give my old DS to my friend's sister or something 'cus I never use it now... even though I like the design/look of it more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/liliya/ds-twins.png

BTW... has anyone heard of that new Witch Hunting game that SNK is making for the DS? It is like an SLG... LOL

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Waychel said:
I know it lacks in RPGs right now apart from Lunar: Dragon Song, but games like Phoenix Wright or Lost in Blue come pretty close.

Well that won't be for long. Square Enix is fully supporting it and has over 6 RPGs in development for NDS. Then there's Pokemon, which is a RPG of some sorts. Plus other titles like ASH, Contact, etc. And Level 5 is making a peculiar RPG for NDS too (Professor Layton and the Strange City), it'll be out in 2007 (click for the trailer).

Waychel said:
BTW... has anyone heard of that new Witch Hunting game that SNK is making for the DS? It is like an SLG...

The pseudo-erotic thing with little girls? Yeah I saw that. Guess there's a public for everything, literally. Anyway, I'm in love with my NDS. IMO it's clearly one of the best game systems ever created.

Yeah that game... lots of people are outraged about it... at least outside of East Asia.

I dunno if they are supposed to be little girls or if it is just the artistic style of the game (to make it look cute).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Waychel said:
Yeah that game... lots of people are outraged about it... at least outside of East Asia. I dunno if they are supposed to be little girls or if it is just the artistic style of the game (to make it look cute).

Well I'm pretty sure they're not over 20 years and are high schoolers or something like that, but anyway in the magic world of games you can say the witch is really 800 years old but trapped in a teenager's body!

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast

Harvest Moon DS just came out a little bit ago. If you liked the one for GBA then this one will also be for you. I'm not exactly sure how many people can get into a farming simulator/rpg style game, but this really is a neat little game.

BOB

poruno sutâ

Anyone here using an M3 lite with the DS? Works flawless for a friend of mine. Other opinions?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Okay folks, I'm going to make this crystal clear to you all. Get the hell out of wherever you are right now (Home, work, school, car, or church :schierke:) and go purchase Elite Beat Agents! I have never played such a wonderful rhythm game in my life and I'm sure anyone can enjoy it. The only gripes I have with it is I mess up often because I can't keep my eyes off the hilarious animations on the top screen. Also, the "You're My Inspiration" Christmas level kept making me almost burst out into tears and I had to keep repeating the level. Really, I can't tell you how great this game is! More after I'm done! Buh bye!

handsome rakshas said:
I have never played such a wonderful rhythm game in my life and I'm sure anyone can enjoy it.
Told you before to get Ouendan! didn't I?
I'll be picking this up a.s.a.p. - but reckon it can't be as good as Ouendan! You can't beat crazy Japanese tunes.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Grovel said:
You can't beat crazy Japanese tunes.

Uh, the problem is I can't "beat" crazy American tunes. Seriously, this game is getting way too hard for your ol' pal Handsome. The sad thing is I'm only on two star difficulty, and the game goes up to four star difficulty so I'm having a hard time unlocking all the bonus songs! Aside from that the game is fantastic, and the little stories that play during the songs are hilarious and cute. (And one is morbidly depressing) I'm giving that game a rest for tonight, I'm going to work night shift tonight and I got something new to keep me entertained. I know this is played out but...

HEHE

BOB

poruno sutâ

BOB said:
Anyone here using an M3 lite with the DS? Works flawless for a friend of mine. Other opinions?

Now I have it and it's definately recommended unless you have some moral gripes with it. Great compatibility and with a 1GB micro SD card you can easily put 15-20 games on there (not Resident Evil and such). No hang ups so far. Great for all the games I just wanted to play a few times and not spend money on.

Guess I'm still gonna buy games like NSMB or Zelda PH anyway, tho.

handsome rakshas said:
Uh, the problem is I can't "beat" crazy American tunes. HEHE
That sounds to me like Ouendan. Played it on 'normal' til I hit a brick wall of difficulty. So started again on 'easy' and when I had completed that, the 'normal' wasn't as hard (but still a bastard, still have not finished the final song!)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Dragon Quest IX will come out on NDS... Not on PS3 or X360, or even Wii. It's quite a shock considering it's the bestselling RPG series in Japan. Level-5 will develop it, and it'll feature a 4 players Wi-Fi mode. Goes to show that Square-Enix really just make games for the most popular system.

Aazealh said:
Dragon Quest IX will come out on NDS... Not on PS3 or X360, or even Wii. It's quite a shock considering it's the bestselling RPG series in Japan. Level-5 will develop it, and it'll feature a 4 players Wi-Fi mode. Goes to show that Square-Enix really just make games for the most popular system.

Yeah also add the fact that it will cost probably 1/4 of what it would on a next gen system to develope and sell insane quantities. They will probably charge a premium price for it too, like 40-50. I remember when FF Tactics came out for GBA and they were charging either 40 or 45 for it when all GBA games were usually 29.99.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Aazealh said:
Goes to show that Square-Enix really just make games for the most popular system.

Its hard to criticize the decision tho, as its savvy. Obviously Square will get the biggest return on their investment this way, too bad for Sony and MS. I suppose the bigger loser in all of this is Sony, tho.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

grendelrt said:
Yeah also add the fact that it will cost probably 1/4 of what it would on a next gen system to develope and sell insane quantities. They will probably charge a premium price for it too, like 40-50.

Yep, it'll cost less and bring home at least as much money. I don't think they'll charge more for it than the standard price though ($39). In any case like CnC said I can't blame them for it, especially not since the NDS is my favorite system of the moment and will probably be for many years. :void:

CnC said:
Its hard to criticize the decision tho, as its savvy. Obviously Square will get the biggest return on their investment this way, too bad for Sony and MS. I suppose the bigger loser in all of this is Sony, tho.

Yeah, and it's not like they were pro-NDS from the start or anything like that. They had a lot more PSP projects when both systems came out and it's only recently that they've announced a lot of DS games, most likely because they witnessed its popularity.

Good to note for CnC that there's also Dragon Quest: Swords planned for the Wii, in which you'll apparently have to fight "sword in hand." :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos

Aazealh said:
Good to note for CnC that there's also Dragon Quest: Swords planned for the Wii, in which you'll apparently have to fight "sword in hand." :guts:

Wii'll see (damn I'm clever).

I'm not the biggest DQ fan (actually I could give a crap about DQ), so this seems kinda more like a tacked on feature rather than a solid attempt at a sword sim (ala Die by the Sword, etc.).

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

handsome rakshas said:
Uh, the problem is I can't "beat" crazy American tunes. Seriously, this game is getting way too hard for your ol' pal Handsome. The sad thing is I'm only on two star difficulty, and the game goes up to four star difficulty so I'm having a hard time unlocking all the bonus songs!

You werent kidding, I got the game for christmas and I cant beat what I believe is the last level on simply one star. Im scared to even think about how hard the later difficulties get. Luckily the game is awesome and really addictive.

I also got Castlevania: PoR and Brain Age, so I should be in for some good times

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I've been playing Brain Age and DoS a lot recently. Just last night I got a 23 in my Brain Age, so I consider myself having beat the game :serpico: I still have 3 Training exercises to unlock though.

DoS has been great so far. I'm just about to finish it, and I just got the Black Panther soul, making the whole game a lot more speedy and therefore, fun.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

It's been a while folks! So what has everyone been playing? I finally finished Bleach DS 2nd and Lunar Knights. Lunar Knights was pretty cool, with lots of stuff for obsessive compulsive Konami fans to collect. Not a must buy or anything. So what has everyone been playing? Did anyone preorder Ouendan 2? (I think it gets released today) And most importantly, did Walter ever pick up Elite Beat Agents?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
And most importantly, did Walter ever pick up Elite Beat Agents?
Nope, been trying to cut back on spending these days. I've been trading games on the SA forums for a few months though, but EBA doesn't come up very often, and when it does, it gets snatched quickly.

I'm playing Sonic Rush for the DS and Golden Sun for the GBA right now. I play Mario Kart DS online probably for about 10 minutes every night. I'm getting ok at it, but I swear... some people are just fucking cheap with the 100% powersliding Yoshi. Takes all the fun out of the game. I saw one japanese guy with something like 12,000 wins and 300 losses using that strategy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Heroes of Mana and FFIV on DS, can't really think of anything else at the moment.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
It's been a while folks! So what has everyone been playing? I finally finished Bleach DS 2nd and Lunar Knights. Lunar Knights was pretty cool, with lots of stuff for obsessive compulsive Konami fans to collect. Not a must buy or anything. So what has everyone been playing? Did anyone preorder Ouendan 2? (I think it gets released today) And most importantly, did Walter ever pick up Elite Beat Agents?

Glad you enjoyed Lunar Knights, I've been wanting to try it along with Magical Starsign myself. That, Yoshi's Island DS and Picross DS. Plus a ton of other stuff too... -__-; I'm playing FFXII for the PS2 these days though so I'm off the NDS, and I need to cut down on buying games for a little while.

Walter said:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to Heroes of Mana and FFIV on DS, can't really think of anything else at the moment.

Have you played FFIII yet? Otherwise there's also FFXII: RW that seems nice in the same genre than HoM. Personally I have good hopes for ASH and "It's a wonderful world" as well but I don't remember when they're supposed to come out. Now that I think of it, did you try Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center yet? Oh and Hotel Dusk is out in the US already I think, I heard it's nice. That reminds me I still haven't played Megaman ZX, another title to try... And don't tell me you still haven't gone through Kirby: Canvas Cursed? Pfff, so many games I can't remember a fifth of them.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

I just picked this bad boy up this past Saturday... went to an electronics store that the wife and I had credit to and picked up the New Super Mario brothers game for free. Im addicted to the mini games! :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

http://ds.ign.com/articles/797/797931p1.html

Contra 4 for DS. Oh yes :beast: Too bad it's being done by a third-party and not by Konami...

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
I just picked this bad boy up this past Saturday... went to an electronics store that the wife and I had credit to and picked up the New Super Mario brothers game for free. Im addicted to the mini games! :judo:
Congrats, you've taken your first step into a world of amazing handheld gaming!I bet your wife is happy!
Walter said:

Contra 4 for DS. Oh yes :beast:
Hey nice, I just finally got around to buying Contra Alien Wars for Super Nintendo. Amazing game, although it's pretty tough. I've loved Contra since the beginning, One of my favorite old school Konami series, next to Castlevania of course. :carcus:
Walter said:
[quote ]
Too bad it's being done by a third-party and not by Konami...
BLASPHEMY! :isidro:

Top Bottom