Nintendo DS

Re: DS Lite

If only Metal Slug Anthology had been a DS game and not a Wii game...

I'm just hoping we get some SNK fighter ports...KoF 97' running with full sprites would be awe inspiring. Seriously though, SNK needs to have more of a DS presence.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

bph said:
If only Metal Slug Anthology had been a DS game and not a Wii game...

I'm just hoping we get some SNK fighter ports...KoF 97' running with full sprites would be awe inspiring. Seriously though, SNK needs to have more of a DS presence.

While I am a big fan of the Metal Slug series, it just gets boring after a while. The anthology is pretty fun but there is really no variation between all the games except for a few new weapons or vehicles. If you are looking for a pretty neat run and gun game for a cheap price Best Buy just reduced Gunstar Super Heroes for the GBA to $9.99, definitely worth it! I don't know about the whole SNK fighter thing on the DS, Guilty Gear turned out horrible. The only good fighting game I've ever played on a Nintendo handheld was the 2 Bleach fighters for the DS. Maybe I'm forgetting a game?

I enjoyed the Street Fighter ports on GBA, but I see your point; the control scheme isn't as well suited as the psp (which is probably why it gets the majority of fighting games). I'm mostly an RPG and Fighter fan, and if the DS could get some decent fighters I would probably stop caring about the consoles altogether... I've always been an SNK nerd though, and their preference for Sony of late has really annoyed me...(especially as a Sega fan who bought all of their goddamned Saturn and Dreamcast games!)

Oh yeah, I'm really digging Etrian Odyssey (just got it this week). I would highly recommend it for any other DS rpg fans; it incorporates a lot of the old first person, text based rpg elements while also being insanely fun. You even have to draw maps on the touch screen, and it just oozes with early nineties handheld RPG goodness.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
The only good fighting game I've ever played on a Nintendo handheld was the 2 Bleach fighters for the DS. Maybe I'm forgetting a game?

Jump Superstars and its sequel?

bph said:
I enjoyed the Street Fighter ports on GBA, but I see your point; the control scheme isn't as well suited as the psp (which is probably why it gets the majority of fighting games).

Are you sure? The PSP's controls aren't really its strong point, I've heard a lot of complaining about it and especially the lack of diagonals on the D-pad. It has Tekken: Dark Resurrection that is pretty good and the Guilty Gears in Japan, but other than that? Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max got mediocre reviews if I remember well.

Sorry, I should have clarified. PERSONALLY, I prefer the DS controls (especially for fighting games), but they are problematic for fighting games which utilize a ton of buttons (i.e. the later Street Fighter games, and many SNK games), the ones that utilize 6 buttons for attacks (which includes nearly every SNK game). Both have the four button PSX-esque layout, but I know that a lot of people favor reaching to the top of the psp for the l and r triggers to hit those. The analog pad on the DS is vastly superior, though, which is why I would go on its favor (even if its four button layout is more problematic).

The PSP has a ton of fighting games, it's just that most of them aren't very good. In addition to the ones already mentioned, DBZ Shin Budokai, Naruto, Mortal Kombat Unchained, Darkstalkers Chronicle, KOF Maximum Impact, and it's even getting that (probably) godawful Final Fantasy Dissidia.

I'm still just pissed that the Neo Geo Pocket Color is long dead, and SNK Playmore has finally realized the ignorance of creating insanely expensive systems that only 2D fighter nerds (such as myself) will buy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

bph said:
they are problematic for fighting games which utilize a ton of buttons (i.e. the later Street Fighter games, and many SNK games), the ones that utilize 6 buttons for attacks (which includes nearly every SNK game). Both have the four button PSX-esque layout, but I know that a lot of people favor reaching to the top of the psp for the l and r triggers to hit those.

You mean the SNES-esque layout. Anyway, the NDS also has L and R triggers so I don't know what you mean. Better placement maybe?

bph said:
The PSP has a ton of fighting games, it's just that most of them aren't very good.

Haha yeah, but I didn't count these on purpose. The DS itself, while it has less fighting games than the PSP, still got a decent amount of them. The problem is that very few are worth playing.

Well yeah, SNES-eque, I suppose. I mean placement with the L and R buttons, also; it's just a lot easier to reach up to them than awkwardly wriggle around to hit the DS ones. It's a shame though, because there is a lot of potential to resurrect the fighting game genre, if it's adapted properly to the DS (Street Fighter is pretty much DOA now, aside from rehashes and ports).

While I'm on the tangent of porting obscure but excellent games, why has no one ported Radiant Silvergun to the DS yet (no offense to Gunstar Super Heroes)? I sold mine years ago, and I refuse to pay $100 on ebay to get it back. For all the bitching though, the DS is still my favorite console and Etrian Odyssey is going to keep me busy for a long time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

In other news, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is coming out in 2 days in Japan and got a 39/40 from Famitsu. Let's hope they localize it quickly!

EDIT: And BioWare is developing a Sonic RPG for the NDS. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
In other news, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is coming out in 2 days in Japan and got a 39/40 from Famitsu. Let's hope they localize it quickly!
I have to say, I'm a little skeptical about playing a whole Zelda game exclusively with the stylus. But I've only heard good things about that switch so far. I have faith it won't cramp my hand as much as Metroid Prime: Hunters. :judo:

EDIT: And BioWare is developing a Sonic RPG for the NDS. :SK:
OMFG you've GOT to be kidding me. I've been playing KOTOR the past few days. I can see it now...

Sonic rolls 6 and misses Large Crow.
Sonic is spinning.
Sonic rolls 9 and hits Large Crow.
CRITICAL STRIKE!
19 dmg.
Large Crow is dead.
Sonic searches corpse and finds 19 rings and Enchanted Jogging Shoes of Nelmeryad.
Hey, I'm kinda excited now :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
I have to say, I'm a little skeptical about playing a whole Zelda game exclusively with the stylus. But I've only heard good things about that switch so far. I have faith it won't cramp my hand as much as Metroid Prime: Hunters. :judo:

I don't think it'll be as tiring for the hand as Hunters, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be completely awesome.

Walter said:
OMFG you've GOT to be kidding me. I've been playing KOTOR the past few days. I can see it now...

Hahaha, it's already on Wikipedia man. :troll:

In case people want confirmation though: http://ds.ign.com/articles/798/798275p1.html

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

What are the odds of this being ported to the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGPMsQ-tEwg

Walter said:
What are the odds of this being ported to the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGPMsQ-tEwg

I dunno, but I'm wondering how damaging it will be to the touch screen. I love myself some Taiko Drum, though! I hope the song selection is good!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

DirectDK said:
I dunno, but I'm wondering how damaging it will be to the touch screen.

Not nearly as much as Ouendan or Trauma Center from what's shown in the ad. And since the screen's pretty tough to begin with, I'm thinking it won't damage it at all.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

My wife loves the new Zelda game. Her (game playing) arm is pretty sensitive... she has had her entire shoulder hurt after a few days of playing Dungeon Siege 2... With the new Zelda though, no complaints though, she has been playing it for the past 2 weeks or say. Don't think you hard core guys will have to worry about anything.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
My wife loves the new Zelda game. Her (game playing) arm is pretty sensitive... she has had her entire shoulder hurt after a few days of playing Dungeon Siege 2... With the new Zelda though, no complaints though, she has been playing it for the past 2 weeks or say. Don't think you hard core guys will have to worry about anything.
Whew, that's really good to hear. I was really worried about my hand cramping up. Ever tried Metroid Prime: Hunters for more than 30 minutes? Pure pain. Hand cramps up within several minutes of gameplay, especially in a frantic multiplayer match. A shame too, it's an otherwise awesome game.

I expect great things from this new Zelda. I'm playing through Majora's Mask now :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Anyone else pick up Picross DS this week? I really wasn't planning to get it, because I wasn't a big fan of the many free Picross flash games across the internet. But it was only $19.99, so I couldn't resist. And I have to say, Nintendo totally nailed the packaging and design on this one (and I'm not talking about the box art here...).

Most Picross games I've played were poorly designed pixel art with no real subtle strategy required to solve a puzzle, just pure, mind-numbing minutes of logic. But Picross DS is just addictive as hell. Clearly a lot of thought was put in to the solving sequence, not to mention the cute little pixel art you get when you successfully complete a puzzle. The design and pacing definitely eases new gamers into the gameplay, which can be pretty complex in the larger puzzles.

I'm planning to do a few Berserk-based Picross puzzles, based on the emoticons up there. If it all works out, I'm pretty sure they'll be available for download via Nintendo's WFC (Aaz correct me if I'm wrong).

For people who aren't familar with the game, IGN has a great review of it.

PS: Aaz, let the good people know the good news about Enix' big announcement. I'm totally psyched.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Walter said:
Whew, that's really good to hear. I was really worried about my hand cramping up. Ever tried Metroid Prime: Hunters for more than 30 minutes? Pure pain. Hand cramps up within several minutes of gameplay, especially in a frantic multiplayer match. A shame too, it's an otherwise awesome game.

I expect great things from this new Zelda. I'm playing through Majora's Mask now :guts:
My wife just beat the Zelda yesterday but she is still playing it so she can get 100%. I'm so proud! :judo: She is dedicated to the cause! One thing I like about the Zelda is the sailing system and how you can pimp our your ship and fight(apostle) Pirates! I keep nagging her when she is sailing to let me play that part! :puck:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Walter said:
I'm planning to do a few Berserk-based Picross puzzles, based on the emoticons up there. If it all works out, I'm pretty sure they'll be available for download via Nintendo's WFC (Aaz correct me if I'm wrong).
PS: Aaz, let the good people know the good news about Enix' big announcement. I'm totally psyched.

Well now I'll be buying this game for sure! I've heard nothing but awesome stuff about it and Walter's impressions are the icing on the cake. Also, I wanna hear the big announcement!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:

This is correct. =)

Walter said:

Dragon Quest IV, V and VI will be remade on NDS. Square Enix <3 Nintendo. Or money, but that's the same thing currently. :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
My wife just beat the Zelda yesterday but she is still playing it so she can get 100%. I'm so proud! :judo:

I've only heard good reviews so far, with some people even saying it's their favorite game in the series since OOT.

Walter said:
Anyone else pick up Picross DS this week?

It's been available in England for a while, great little game - highly recommended. Really looking forward to those Berserk-based puzzles.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
Not necessarily the right thread for it, but since new Megaman games are being released on NDS I'm posting the 20th anniversary video Capcom released here: http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman20th/history/
Capcom definitely built its success on the backs of Megaman, and subsequently Street Fighter. And both of them are turning 20 this year. But jesus, the last Megaman I played was ... X2. I had no fucking clue they'd made so many. Looked like they made 1 new title each year. I'd never even heard of Z or ZX. I should pick up whatever was made for the DS... That is, if I can successfully switch cards in my DS without my brain noticing. It's pretty addicted.

Made three Berserk-based Picross puzzles last night, Guts, a cute Beast and a really shitty Dragon Slayer that I didn't even bother drawing an image for.
picross_guts.jpg
picross_beast.jpg
picross_ds.jpg

I really want to do Carcus next :carcus:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

I just bought Picross this afternoon, but I'm stuck at work until midnight so I can't play it! As soon as I get the hang of it I shall destroy Walter in an online death match. Also, I'd like to get a hold of those three Berserk puzzles, Wally. I have never went online with the DS. How do I do it, and how do I find out my friend code? Thanks!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
I just bought Picross this afternoon, but I'm stuck at work until midnight so I can't play it! As soon as I get the hang of it I shall destroy Walter in an online death match. Also, I'd like to get a hold of those three Berserk puzzles, Wally. I have never went online with the DS. How do I do it, and how do I find out my friend code? Thanks!
Excellent, a convert! You can view your friend code by going from the main menu to: Settings, then Friend Settings, then Confirm Friend Code. Mine's: 468258 220715. Not sure I can do anything this afternoon, I'm just heading out for work now. I'll be all over it this weekend though!

PS: Wireless play is hectic but really fun. Some people have insane records already, in the 5000s of wins. Ugh... My record is 1:9 :guts:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Walter said:
Excellent, a convert! You can view your friend code by going from the main menu to: Settings, then Friend Settings, then Confirm Friend Code. Mine's: 468258 220715. Not sure I can do anything this afternoon, I'm just heading out for work now. I'll be all over it this weekend though!

PS: Wireless play is hectic but really fun. Some people have insane records already, in the 5000s of wins. Ugh... My record is 1:9 :guts:

Nice, an opponent! I look forward to catching up with you this weekend, it gives me a couple days to get the hang of the game.It sounds like this game has a hardcore online following! This is exciting, I've never went online with the DS before! I'll post my friend code later. Thanks, Walter.

Top Bottom