Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters

Griffith

My posts are better.
The thing is, it really depends on the games you're playing. Breath of the Wild is not something I'd play in portable mode for example. My usage has been portable but with games I deem compatible with a small screen, and I'm safe in the knowledge I can just plug it to the TV if I want to.

The Lite looks like a great device, and I think they'll sell boatloads of it, but personally if I had to buy my first Switch now, I'd probably still go for the regular one, or wait for a "Pro" version like Walter said.
Yeah... if they had just included a way to simply cable it to your TV, like an old-ass PSP, I'd probably jump. But that's the rub, they want you to buy a regular Switch in that case, except I'd rather have the solid one piece device, and a cord in the back of my TV when I feel like it, than all the detachable parts, accessories and potential hassles (and I don't appreciate the seemingly artificial barrier from a product standpoint). So, I'll probably be waiting to see if the Pro is really the one to get, or it it makes the regular Switch clearly the middle way for me.

Or I just end up getting whatever Lite + Zelda combo I can in a couple months because I'll probably just be playing it at work anyway. :ganishka:

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, I'll probably be waiting to see if the Pro is really the one to get, or it it makes the regular Switch clearly the middle way for me.
Btw, the "Pro" isn't even an official product yet, it's just a rumor from the Japanese industry press. Could be more than a year out.

Griffith

My posts are better.
Btw, the "Pro" isn't even an official product yet, it's just a rumor from the Japanese industry press. Could be more than a year out.
Yeah, but once the also rumored Lite model came to be I think we all started assuming the "Pro" or "Plus" model is likely as well, but things change.

The plot thickens with Nintendo upgrading the Switch's battery in standard models starting this August, so that's one reason not to make another swit... change for now. I'd rather they change the hardware to ensure issues like joy con drift are eliminated. For someone already on the fence about a major purchase, the idea it could break down in a matter of months isn't reassuring. Of course, it's hard for me to tell if this is truly a widespread issue or a vocal minority with an internet bullhorn bringing it to my attention.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but once the also rumored Lite model came to be I think we all started assuming the "Pro" or "Plus" model is likely as well, but things change.

The plot thickens with Nintendo upgrading the Switch's battery in standard models starting this August, so that's one reason not to make another swit... change for now. I'd rather they change the hardware to ensure issues like joy con drift are eliminated. For someone already on the fence about a major purchase, the idea it could break down in a matter of months isn't reassuring. Of course, it's hard for me to tell if this is truly a widespread issue or a vocal minority with an internet bullhorn bringing it to my attention.
Yep, Joycon drifting is real. I sent my controllers back to Nintendo after about 6 months, and they replaced them within a few weeks. Funnily enough, in the replacement request I also said the HD rumble felt shitty and broken, like the motor was bad (or like one of these). They wrote back that it was serviced and determined to be working as intended, but they replaced anyway. And the new joycons' rumble feels just as shitty and broken. So that's just how they work :ganishka:

Griffith

My posts are better.
Yep, Joycon drifting is real. I sent my controllers back to Nintendo after about 6 months, and they replaced them within a few weeks. Funnily enough, in the replacement request I also said the HD rumble felt shitty and broken, like the motor was bad (or like one of these). They wrote back that it was serviced and determined to be working as intended, but they replaced anyway. And the new joycons' rumble feels just as shitty and broken. So that's just how they work :ganishka:
Bowser is not going to put you on the Nintendo marketing team! :carcus:

Anyway, I hope they make it a priority to fix the sticks on the Lite! I mean, you'd think it would be a simple enough thing to change the regular Joycon specs since they're detachable/replaceable anyway. Come to think of it, I've killed two 3DSes by burning out buttons and it's not like I'm a hardcore portable player spending hours on the thing everyday or mistreating it, they just stopped working.

Last edited:

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Man you guys seem to be unlucky with your devices, never had a problem with my NDS, 3DS or Switch myself. In fact I think the only hardware problem I ever had with a console was the PSX back in the day, I fried it during a multiplayer session (cable link!) and had to cough something like $100 to get it fixed. That was a major bummer.

Top Bottom