Official Slam Dunk thread

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-03-09/live-action-slam-dunk-movie-in-production >>>> the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Dunk

I think that the one relationship with Slam Dunk and that movie is that both are about Basketball, i don't think is a live action because that movie's history don't have anything related to the history of Slam Dunk.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
All episodes of Slam Dunk are currently available on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/slam-dunk

The manga becomes superior around volume 8 or so, but the earlier episodes are great translations of the first few volumes.

Walter said:
All episodes of Slam Dunk are currently available on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/slam-dunk

The manga becomes superior around volume 8 or so, but the earlier episodes are great translations of the first few volumes.

This is great, too bad it's only available for the United States.

I wonder why the last Arc wasn't made into anime.
The game against Sannoh is probably the best part of the whole series.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, pretty much. It's why I say that the anime is a good primer for new fans, but the manga easily succeeds it past a certain point.

Eluvei said:
In fact, that's the main problem I have with Slam Dunk: it doesn't change at all.
Actually Sakuragi grows as a character and changes quite a bit throughout, even though he's still a cocky kid.
He even says so in his long monologue in vol 30, just before the climax of the game. Unsure how you can miss his character development that occurs in vols 15, 22, and ultimately in 30.
The problems the characters have to get over in the beginning of the series are exactly the same they have to face in the last part.
Unless you mean they continue to have to win basketball games, I think you're mistaken. There's plenty of character development, which to me is the backbone of the series. Spoilers ahoy:
In the beginning, Sakuragi is new to the game, and selfish. A major part of the story is him wanting to prove himself on the court, even if it's at the expense of others. But over time, he becomes more serious about the game and himself. He's able to admit his faults to himself instead of just putting on airs. By the end of the series, he's no longer playing just for himself, he's playing for the team. And through the quick development of his skills, everyone ultimately has to recognize that he's a force to be reckoned with, even despite his freshman status. Sannoh attributes their loss to their underestimation of him.

Sure, it's fun to see how they manage to overcome their difficulties, but... they go through exactly the same like three times.
Again, if by "exactly the same" you mean they play basketball during all the major events, then... yeah. But what's important in Slam Dunk are the characters, and the character interchanges are all very different, and get better and better as they open up and the dynamic between them changes. Part of Slam Dunk's strength is that it's an ensemble effort, not just one guy's journey.

Actually Sakuragi grows as a character and changes quite a bit throughout, even though he's still a cocky kid.

I didn't mean exactly Sakuragi, but everyone around him. While he does change, Inoue kept introducing new characters, mostly from the other teams, and showing us flashbacks of them, while still trying to further develop the Shohoku characters in the middle of the games. In my opinion, because of having to deal with so many new characters, it was impossible for him to focus so much on Shohoku like I hoped he would.

Unless you mean they continue to have to win basketball games, I think you're mistaken. There's plenty of character development, which to me is the backbone of the series.

I guess I did exaggerate when I said everything stays the same, especially because Sakuragi not only learns how to play, but he learns how to control himself and use his head when he got the ball: all these actions which reflected on how he started to act out of the court as well... and it was all done quite well. But I don't know, I still feel like Inoue could have developed his relation with Haruko, or show more about his past and what happened to his father. Some things just felt like Inoue forgot about them or didn't care enough to mention it again. And that's just Sakuragi we're talking about, my problem is mainly with the rest of the team.

Mitsui goes through the same problem for the last two or three games:
he got tired to the point of passing out because he stopped his training;
Miyagi
loved Ayako and did his best when she cheered for him
... and while all this was awesome, I expected something else would happen to them. I mean, aside from the things I mentioned about these two characters, we only know that they don't like to study and were troublemakers. To be honest, now that I'm talking about it, I admit that I sound bitter, but I'm not saying these things out of hate to the series. I guess I just expected more about the characters because I like them a lot, or maybe I got that impression for reading the whole thing in such a small period of time (like, two months).

Again, if by "exactly the same" you mean they play basketball during all the major events, then... yeah.

The games themselves felt similar in many parts because of what I mentioned earlier: the main characters (excluding Sakuragi) had the same problems to deal with at the first games and at the game with Sannoh.

Part of Slam Dunk's strength is that it's an ensemble effort, not just one guy's journey.

That's just it, although it is an ensemble effort, to me it felt like the only character that gets really developed is Sakuragi. For example, Rukawa existed only as his rival in the series, we're not shown almost anything about him. We know his ambitions, but that's only introduced halfway through the series.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
You also have to realize that Slam Dunk is a shonen manga. It's mostly aimed at teenagers, so you have to realize that most of the details about the character's past lives or motives are not going to be explained in full detail.
I think at the end of the series you can see something beginning to appear between Haruko and Sakuragi ( or that's just me I guess)

The games themselves felt similar in many parts because of what I mentioned earlier: the main characters (excluding Sakuragi) had the same problems to deal with at the first games and at the game with Sannoh
There aren't many moves you can do in basketball, So most of them had to be repeated, only with different characters, just with different levels and experience.

That's just it, although it is an ensemble effort, to me it felt like the only character that gets really developed is Sakuragi. For example, Rukawa existed only as his rival in the series, we're not shown almost anything about him. We know his ambitions, but that's only introduced halfway through the series
It was only a season of basketball, so I am ok on how it was written. Most sports manga don't have much information and background and all that you ask for, but I say Slam dunk delivers quite well for a teen audience. If you want more details, check out REAL.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention to also check the 10 days after of slamd dunk.

Th3Branded0ne said:
You also have to realize that Slam Dunk is a shonen manga. It's mostly aimed at teenagers, so you have to realize that most of the details about the character's past lives or motives are not going to be explained in full detail.

Yes, I suppose what I said can be said of most Shonens.

Th3Branded0ne said:
There aren't many moves you can do in basketball, So most of them had to be repeated, only with different characters, just with different levels and experience.
It was only a season of basketball, so I am ok on how it was written.

I was talking about the motives of the characters, not the moves they performed. I meant to say that the things they go through on most of the games are basically always the same.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Most sports manga don't have much information and background and all that you ask for, but I say Slam dunk delivers quite well for a teen audience. If you want more details, check out REAL.

Yeah I still haven't read REAL, nor Buzzer Beater.

Th3Branded0ne said:
UPDATE: I forgot to mention to also check the 10 days after of slamd dunk.

Yeah I've read it, and I liked it too. That's the main reason I think Inoue will continue Slam Dunk someday: 10 Days Later doesn't serve as an epilogue to Slam Dunk like the LAST Manga Exhibition does to Vagabond, it feels more like a "to be continued" screen.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Eluvei said:
I was talking about the motives of the characters, not the moves they performed. I meant to say that the things they go through on most of the games are basically always the same.
[

Yeah, in most even actual games you go through the same things as well. You have to face an opponent who is either better,same, or worse than you. I played soccer for most of my life, and I went through the similar obstacles. Sometimes they were faster, bigger or dirtier than me. But eventhough every team was different you almost went through some of those same things over and over.

Yeah I've read it, and I liked it too. That's the main reason I think Inoue will continue Slam Dunk someday: 10 Days Later doesn't serve as an epilogue to Slam Dunk like the LAST Manga Exhibition does to Vagabond, it feels more like a "to be continued" screen.

I think he ended the series with a very open ending and you can make your own after where he left off. It was also one of his major works, so I think he did all he could do at that time and I don't see him having regrets about it.

Just see this to refresh your memory, I had to read it as well.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
update
Eluvei said:
sd2.jpg

(This is from the end of Slam Dunk's second volume, I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me if it's on the Viz edition. It's not on my country's edition for some reason, I only know it exists because of this low quality scanlation I found on the internet. The guy loves to draw himself!)
I was checking my scans and the volume and I also found that Viz changed the name of the restaurant from "Danny's" to "Dizzy's"(right at the begginning of Volume 2)

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I think this is pretty nice for Inoue!! :guts:

Japan Basketball Association Awards Slam Dunk's Inoue
posted on 2010-06-09 09:43 EDT

[quote author= animenewsnetwork]
The Japan Basketball Association's board of directors revealed during its Wednesday meeting that it is awarding Slam Dunk manga creator Takehiko Inoue with a special commendation. The award is part of the association's 80th anniversary celebration.

The special commendation recognizes Inoue's contribution to the growing popularity of the basketball in Japan, as well as the Slam Dunk Scholarship that he established in collaboration with his publisher Shueisha. Since 2007, the scholarship has been sending Japan's top high school players to study abroad in America, where they study English and prepare to possibly play basketball in America's National Collegiate Athletic Association.
[/quote]

I re-visited Slam Dunk this past weekend when I picked up Volumes 1 through 12. This morning I was on Volume 9 and honestly couldn't control laughing or chuckling on so many parts. I've pre-ordered Volumes 13 and 14 for now, and I'll start a marathon re-watch of the series after I'm done reading Volume 12. Also in the process of bargaining prices on 2-3 Slam Dunk photo/ art books by Inoue.

I finally was able to finish it today
And all i can say is that this Series is Amazing! It maybe started off a little it slow, but afterwards it gets really good
It has one of the best endings i have ever seen in my life
Sakuragi's character development through out the Series is amazing too, even though he was sometimes annoying

btw my favourite character's were Miyagi, Mitsui and Maki

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mangetsu said:
I finally was able to finish it today
And all i can say is that this Series is Amazing! It maybe started off a little it slow, but afterwards it gets really good
It has one of the best endings i have ever seen in my life
Sakuragi's character development through out the Series is amazin too, even though he was sometimes amazing

btw my favourite character's were Miyagi, Mitsui and Maki
Glad you were able to read the whole thing. The ending, and really, the last 3 volumes or so, is really an amazing accomplishment.

Some new Slam Dunk x Nike goodies. I remember a blue shoe that they collaborated on and I see it pop up at YJA every now and then for a lame higher price =_=

Check it out!

http://nikeinc.com/news/inside-access-iconic-slam-dunk-comic-makes-triumphant-return-in-jordan-brand-collaboration#/inline/34093

I will try to buy one pair. :serpico:
It is so ironic that actually Sakuragi weared Air Jordan's in the Manga and now there will be a Slam Dunk x Air Jordan collection. Inoue is probably so happy now

It isn't the first time Nike and Inoue have collaborated on Slam Dunk. In the past, they released this pair of Jordans -

Blue Jordan 1

Blue Jordan 2

Here's some pricing info on the new Slam Dunk x Nike products -

Air Jordan 6 Retro will be 30,240Yen
Jordan Super Fly 3 will be 20,520Yen
Slam Dunk T-shirt white will be 6,480Yen(S/M/L/XL/XXL)
Slam Dunk T-shirt red will be 6,480Yen(S/M/L/XL/XXL)
Jordan Slam Dunk 6 Cap will be 5,940Yen

Those Retro 6's are bloody expensive :puck:

All manga volumes of Slam Dunk are currently 50% off at Rightstuf as part of their Holiday sale for a limited time. The offer lasts until 11/18. :guts:
http://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Graphic-Novels?order=displayname:asc&show=96&keywords=slam%20dunk

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been in the process of re-reading Slam Dunk volumes in backwards order for the past few months :ganishka:

This started because while I own the full series in Japanese (I have text translations, like for Berserk), I only ever owned the last 3 volumes of the English editions from Viz. So I've been filling in the gaps by buying 2-3 volumes each month, counting backwards from 31. The plan is to get them all through the course of 2 years or so.

It's still fantastic. I first read Slam Dunk probably 20 years ago at this point, but even now, reading those last 2-3 volumes, I'll still get chills looking at the pages. Even in some of the moments in vols 20-30, I've regularly laughed out loud, and in one instance that I don't think I've ever experienced while reading a comic — laughed from pure joy. It's a pretty special series for me.

But by doing a very close reading this time, I've also realized that Inoue didn't seem to be going for a masterwork here. It's more of a workman's sports manga: Big when it counts, small when it doesn't. While he fucking nails scenes in critical moments for the story, many of the smaller scenes or character building moments between the big games clearly didn't get the same special attention, both in terms of writing and visuals, so they feel like afterthoughts. Comedy regularly drives such scenes, not drama (which is fine!), but the comedy is unevenly weighed toward rapid-fire one-off jokes instead of a 2-3 page buildup to a great punchline.

If I had to guess, I'd say these little quirks are a result of the pace of serialization (1 per week) in Shonen Jump magazine. He knew he had a deadline, and he knew he had a big vision for where he wanted to take the series, and sort of just shortcutted around the details. Part of me respects that he stuck to that pace and still delivered one of the best manga of all time, and another part of me wonders what would have happened if he took his time on it (don't remind me about Vagabond's current state) and really carved out space to make those small moments shine.

If anyone is interested, you can get Slam Dunk from RightStuf for about $7.50 per volume here: https://www.rightstufanime.com/search?keywords=Slam%20Dunk&order=displayname:asc&show=96

https://www.shonenjump.com/j/2018/05/21/201805021_slamdunk001.html

Shueisha is reorganizing the manga into a new 20 volume edition starting on June 1st for four consecutive months in Japan.

June 1st : volumes 1-6
July 2nd: volumes 7-10
August 1st: volumes 11-14
September 1st: volumes 15-20

WYmRGSR.jpg

new reorganized edition volume 1 cover

Oh man ... these covers look really good. What do you think Walter?

I wonder if they mentioned a re-release in English with the new covers. If it's for the Japanese version only, I don't own the Japanese volumes as yet and maybe picking these up will set them apart from the English ones (?). But it's also more space on a book shelf!! Grrrrrr.

Not a fan of those. They're somewhat odd compositions to use as covers, and just look drab and lifeless in general. Guess he nailed it if the goal was to do something as different as possible from the original ones.

Top Bottom