Original Berserk painting on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20135&item=7324505350&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Man it looks badass.  The seller happens to be a friend of a friend that I've met personally.  Very reliable...........don't know why I'm linking this when I may bid on it :p
 
omg thats nice, but check the 'buy it now'- price! damn thats nothing for a poor guy like me...

but then again... think of having that piece in your bedroom...
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Maiku said:
Man it looks badass. The seller happens to be a friend of a friend that I've met personally. Very reliable...........don't know why I'm linking this when I may bid on it :p
Well it looks nice, but it's not from Miura, just from a random guy so I'm not sure that it's worth anything like $450 (the Buy it Now price), and what about it being the original? I bet there's not a whole lot of copies running around anyway. ::)

Also, is it really legal to sell Berserk related merchandise like that?
 
As long as it isn't mass produced it is legal. It is just like Headlong making kits and selling them.

As far as the price who can really put a value on something like that. The artist probably put alot of time into it..............and Aaz it seems like you think everything is too expensive :p

Aazealh said:
Well it looks nice, but it's not from Miura, just from a random guy so I'm not sure that it's worth anything like $450 (the Buy it Now price), and what about it being the original? I bet there's not a whole lot of copies running around anyway. ::)

Also, is it really legal to sell Berserk related merchandise like that?
 
^ guys like HEADLONG get temporary liscences to sell their kits at WonderFest. After that, I don't think think HEADLONG is allowed to sell them, because of AOW's liscence on BERSERK.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Maiku said:
As long as it isn't mass produced it is legal. It is just like Headlong making kits and selling them.
Sorry but no.

EndLeSS8 said:
guys like HEADLONG get temporary liscences to sell their kits at WonderFest. After that, I don't think think HEADLONG is allowed to sell them, because of AOW's liscence on BERSERK.
Yeah, and people making various kits, DS replica, etc and selling them all get temporary licences, and are only allowed to sell them during hobby conventions. Then they are re-sold on Yahoo Japan auctions but that's a different matter.

Maiku said:
As far as the price who can really put a value on something like that. The artist probably put alot of time into it..............and Aaz it seems like you think everything is too expensive :p
I'm just being realistic and giving my opinion, now you can spend whatever you want on stuff like that, it's not my problem.
 

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Unless it has any Berserk logos on it, I don't see how it could be illegal.. since Zodd could pass as any demon. He's certainly not the most original looking monster. It could just be a picture of Satan for all anyone else knows.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member


I'll be selling copies of this jpeg to the highest bidder. Its just some guys i drew.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
Unless it has any Berserk logos on it, I don't see how it could be illegal.. since Zodd could pass as any demon. He's certainly not the most original looking monster. It could just be a picture of Satan for all anyone else knows.
The guy advertises it as being Zodd from Berserk...

On a side note, he's also advertising that this is the original picture, but doesn't specify that it's an amateur's work, not actual official stuff. That's not exactly cool to me since it might confuse inattentive or careless people. I'm not saying it's intentional either.
 
To be on the safe side I wouldnt buy it.....but it is a pretty awesome painting of Zodd, buts it all up to you really if your gonna get it or not. Of course if he painted it himself isnt it more like fanart?
 

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Aazealh said:
On a side note, he's also advertising that this is the original picture, but doesn't specify that it's an amateur's work, not actual official stuff. That's not exactly cool to me since it might confuse inattentive or careless people. I'm not saying it's intentional either.
Yeah, they should be more precise in their listing. I also think it's weird that they don't even give the name of the person who painted this thing.  Either because they know they shouldn't be selling it due to copyright reasons, or maybe they aren't selling it with the artist's permission.  

I've never been too clear about the whole fanart thing.  I understand that people making kits, etc. get temporary licenses, but what about people that sell fanart at conventions in Japan or elsewhere?  People selling doujinshi don't have the copyright, but I don't think they're ever prosecuted, and I've seen people selling fanart at cons in the states.  It seems like copyright law in Japan isn't as strict as it is here, and that in the case of fanart, it's overlooked because a lot of manga talent comes from the doujinshi scene.  Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

Legal or not (not ;D ) they're asking a really steep price for that thing, and in my opinon, it's not that great.  Zodd's face looks funny.   
 
Aazealh said:
Sorry but no.
My company makes licensed products.  At least in the states as I understand it you can make one of anything.  It has happened with our licenses and our licensors never have problems when we see people selling stuff like this on ebay.  If people like Disney don't do anything about it I have to assume it isn't that big of a deal.

I'm surprised A. that for 30 units people on both sides would bother licensing resin kits and B. that Art-of-War signed a contract that would let their license be signed out to other people even for hobby shows and such.

ANYWAY.  Cool painting overall even if it isn't perfect. (hair around the Jaw doesn't seem right)
 

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Maiku said:
It has happened with our licenses and our licensors never have problems when we see people selling stuff like this on ebay. 
Sorry but Aaz is right. Yes, licenses do get infringed upon all the time and generally the licensors don't care, and let it slide. But it's still very much illegal. Just like fansubs. Same exact thing, really. The only reason it's never a 'big deal' is 'cause sales of one-of-a-kind fan-items generally don't hurt sales of real items, and it isn't worth the time and effort of prosecuting.

Unless you're Volks, and just feel like it.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Zelz said:
Of course if he painted it himself isnt it more like fanart?
Yes.

TheSkyTraveller said:
Yeah, they should be more precise in their listing. I also think it's weird that they don't even give the name of the person who painted this thing.
Yeah, and his signature strangely resembles Idea's "lower part", a variation of the Brand basically, relatively "anonymous" if you ask me.

TheSkyTraveller said:
It seems like copyright law in Japan isn't as strict as it is here, and that in the case of fanart, it's overlooked because a lot of manga talent comes from the doujinshi scene. Can anyone shed some light on that for me?
I'm not an expert or anything, but I actually think that copyright laws in Japan are as strict if not more than in the USA. What's for sure is that it's more complicated, it even has some problem with GNU licenses due to the absence of a real "public domain" concept there.

TheSkyTraveller said:
Legal or not (not ;D ) they're asking a really steep price for that thing, and in my opinon, it's not that great. Zodd's face looks funny.
Yeah well, and as far as originality goes, it's not really the first time I see Zodd in that pose...

Lithrael said:
Sorry but Aaz is right.
Heh! I just can't help it I guess. 8) Thanks for confirming anyway Lith (she works in that business so she knows what she's talking about guys).

Maiku said:
ANYWAY. Cool painting overall even if it isn't perfect. (hair around the Jaw doesn't seem right)
Yeah, bottom line is that I sort of like it, it's big too.
 
Berserk (Zodo) painting on ebay

Hi all. I noticed the message about the Berserk painting on ebay and I just wanted to address some of your concerns. Not only am I new to skullknight.net, I am also new to selling art on ebay. I didn't include certain bits of info (like who the artist is-me) because honestly, I didn't think anyone would care unless it was an official Berserk artist...which I am not. I realise the buy it now price is steep, but that's just my "pie in the sky" price. I don't expect to get that for the painting. Since there is no reserve, the painting could go for as low as the opening bid. Also, by using the term "original", I only meant that this is not a reproduction or a print. A lot of people sell prints on ebay and I didn't want there to be any confusion. I do a lot of personal stuff of my own characters, but as a fan of many different series', I love paying homage to characters that inspire me. Zodo is one of the most badass characters in any story. Either in human or beast form, the guy punishes. Anyway, I'm rambling...if anyone has any questions for me feel free to email at illustrator221@hotmail.com. Thanks for your time!
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Re: Berserk (Zodo) painting on ebay

Aculeus said:
Hi all. I noticed the message about the Berserk painting on ebay and I just wanted to address some of your concerns. Not only am I new to skullknight.net, I am also new to selling art on ebay.
Hey, welcome to SK.net. I merged your thread with the one that was actually talking about your painting.

Aculeus said:
I didn't include certain bits of info (like who the artist is-me) because honestly, I didn't think anyone would care unless it was an official Berserk artist...which I am not.
Well, you're the artist, so I bet people would want to know whom they're buying original art from. I think it's legitimate.

Aculeus said:
I realise the buy it now price is steep, but that's just my "pie in the sky" price. I don't expect to get that for the painting. Since there is no reserve, the painting could go for as low as the opening bid.
Oh well, it's up to you anyway, people are just giving their opinions about it. You'll just see what it will sell for. ;)

Aculeus said:
Also, by using the term "original", I only meant that this is not a reproduction or a print. A lot of people sell prints on ebay and I didn't want there to be any confusion.
I think it could create confusion even though that apparently wasn't your intention. A "non-official" or "fan made" mention thrown in the auction somewhere would have been cool, IMO.

Aculeus said:
I do a lot of personal stuff of my own characters, but as a fan of many different series', I love paying homage to characters that inspire me.
That's cool. :)
 
Re: Berserk (Zodo) painting on ebay

Aculeus said:
Hi all. I noticed the message about the Berserk painting on ebay and I just wanted to address some of your concerns.
To back up what everyone else said the exact terms of copyright law are that no one can make any financial gains by selling a copyrighted image or intellectual property (the idea of Zodd) This means that the only reason that someone can legally pay you is by covering shipping costs for the painting.

That aside it is a beautiful painting. What kind of paints did you use?
 

conan

Until next time...
Actaully, a person can be paid for their time and products used to paint, sculpt, or make an item, but can not "profit" from this.

The copywrite laws are broken so often and by so many however, it would never be financially smart to actually chase someone who's made a painting, custom figure, custom statue, or kit of a copywrited property...
 
Top Bottom