Page Not Included in Volume 21 Recovered, Translated

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes, Miura chooses to change things between the serialized release in Young Animal and when it gets collected in the volume. It's rare, but it has been known to happen a few times over the years. The most popular example of this is the removal of Episode 83, of course. But there have been a few others that aren't well known.

For over a decade, I've known about the missing first page of episode 167 that Miura chose not to include in the full volume 21. I owned the original Young Animal from 2000 when it was first released, however over the years I lost the magazine and my only scan of the scene was overlayed with a translation from Cronus when that seemed prudent (it wasn't...), so I could never verify the text.

After much curiosity over the years, I finally broke down and went through a broker in Japan to purchase the magazine, shipped it over here so I could scan it and ask for help in translating it.

Without further ado, here it is (click to enlarge):

167-removed02.jpg

And Puella was gracious enough to translate it for all of us, so please thank her:

Guts: I can’t identify it.

Something tremendous, shrouding everything...
Maybe it’s causality or whatever

I won’t be entrapped by such a causeless trick!!

I won’t be hedged (by that)

I’ll cut you down!!!

A missing scene where Guts addresses Causality directly?! :mozgus: But in all seriousness, as you can see it's not exactly the most important text, and I can honestly see why Miura chose to remove it. But it's nice to look back and see the original intent.

Very cool, I did not know about this. Looking at my volume(21 by the way :iva:), I never really noticed before but they way Guts stabs Mozgus is a bit odd. In the episode before we see Mozgus and the others noticing or hearing Guts on top of the tower, but we never see him turn around. I think it still works with out it and the action of Guts falling down the tower is not repeated this way.

Do you know if he changed any of the dialogue on the pages before and after this one. In the Dark Horse translation, it flows nicely, but if you insert this page with Puella's translation it doesn't seem to fit. I guess its more than likely that some of the context was lost in the Dark Horse translation.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bender said:
Very cool, I did not know about this. Looking at my volume(21 by the way :iva:),
Whoops! Fixed... This section of the series bleeds so seamlessly together that I often get them confused.

Do you know if he changed any of the dialogue on the pages before and after this one. In the Dark Horse translation, it flows nicely, but if you insert this page with Puella's translation it doesn't seem to fit. I guess its more than likely that some of the context was lost in the Dark Horse translation.
Yep, one more line was changed on the second page, I just didn't mention it because it's not substantive.

Original: ぶった斬る (I will kill you!!!)
New (DH): ...But instead a fish that breaches the water's surface.

The original 166 conclusion has the whole SK fish/water reference, whereas the new one stretches it across the two episodes to cover up the missing page.

puella

Berserk forever
I appreciate Walter for giving us a chance to read the missing page!

Walter said:
A missing scene where Guts addresses Causality directly?! :mozgus: But in all seriousness, as you can see it's not exactly the most important text, and I can honestly see why Miura chose to remove it. But it's nice to look back and see the original intent.
He heard "Causality" from Void during the occultation, from the Skull Knight, and later on from Flora... It's pretty interesting to see Guts mention it directly, which is just this single time through the whole manga. I also think that's why Miura removed the page.

As for "causeless", I want to precise it a bit. It means "a trick whose goal/cause/reason I don't know", something like that.
Think about what Guts said to Ganishka. "I don't care what's going on with you monsters".
The meaning can be related to it, I think.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thanks for posting that missing page, Walter, and thanks for translating, Puella! I had no idea there was a page missing from Vol. 21. It's neat learning something new about a series I've followed for so long.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Thanks for posting that missing page, Walter, and thanks for translating, Puella! I had no idea there was a page missing from Vol. 21. It's neat learning something new about a series I've followed for so long.
No prob. I hope to ultimately be able to collect all the changes in one place, but doing so would require quite a bit of money, time and luck—hunting down Young Animals dating back to the early 90s and comparing them to volume releases.

The changes that took place since SKnet are all known. But from 1989-99... it's sort of a big unknown. We know of a few, but there are potentially others that simply aren't very well known. Most of them I've heard of, but never seen. Rest assured though that nearly every change has been an improvement.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
No prob. I hope to ultimately be able to collect all the changes in one place.

Wasn't there a thread about the changes or comparison of pages? I have a vague memory of reading one in the past! Anyway that's nice to know and see the changes when possible.

Thanks for the info. It is nice to see something new, to me at least. It has been to long.

I really like how we get Guts' point of view and thoughts as he falls for the whole page. I am trying to remember if Miura has done this before or since. The closest I can think of is recently with the child helping Guts out of the Sea God, but that's not as visually interesting. A cool scene either way.

puella said:
As for "causeless", I want to precise it a bit. It means "a trick whose goal/cause/reason I don't know", something like that.
Think about what Guts said to Ganishka. "I don't care what's going on with you monsters".
The meaning can be related to it, I think.

Maybe something like a "cheap trick" or "lame trick"?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Wasn't there a thread about the changes or comparison of pages? I have a vague memory of reading one in the past! Anyway that's nice to know and see the changes when possible.
Yeah there's this: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11140.0

But, it would be nice to assemble a comprehensive list of them.

Bender said:
I really like how we get Guts' point of view and thoughts as he falls for the whole page. I am trying to remember if Miura has done this before or since. The closest I can think of is recently with the child helping Guts out of the Sea God, but that's not as visually interesting. A cool scene either way.
If you mean strictly in terms of inner monologues during action sequences, then indeed there aren't TOO many. But we often get little glimpses into his thought processes: Just two recent examples that came to mind are after he jumps in to save Casca on the boat, and throughout the recent flashback sequence.

Thank you Walter for putting up the missing page, and to Puella for translating it :ubik:
Couldn't help but notice how this page gives a more detailed shot of the Beherit-Apostle as he's running away, just as the last page of the preceding episode 166 does. Could it be the reason why Miura removed that original first from the tankobon? Because it made the opening of episode 167 seem repetitive, not to mention lose the subtlety that the brief appearance of Beherit-Apostle had created at the end of episode 166?

Thanks Walter and Puella for providing this. Very cool to see new things and see what Miura was thinking at the time of publishing.

Walter said:
But, it would be nice to assemble a comprehensive list of them.

This wold be amazing and a great resource.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Thats really cool. Thanks for the work guys!

I've always thought having a list of all the changes would be awesome but i understand it's a huge workload. Would be very nice and interesting though :serpico:

Top Bottom