Patreon Revival - New Tiers, New Perks, New Podcasts

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

No member of SKnet has given more to the community than @puella. Over the past 20 years, she has tirelessly provided us with titles, summaries and accurate translations of the episodes, among many others things. She also made our letter to Miura possible in 2009, by translating both our questions and his answers.

We set out to give a little back to her through a Patreon campaign back in 2014. It was met with strong support, and she has been deeply grateful for it. During that time, she's translated 33 episodes, seven interviews with Miura, and and is nearly done translating every single one of his 350 comments in Young Animal.

But the Patreon model has evolved since those early days and now typically incorporates exclusive rewards and early access content. So we (Walter and Aazealh) felt the need to also step up our game—both as our own show of support to Puella and to provide more incentives for those generous souls who chip in every month. Which brings us to the big news.

We've recently revamped the Patreon subscriber tiers and added a series of new, ongoing bonus perks for each level.

patreon-beherit-bronze.png

patreon-update2.jpg

You get access to exclusive translations of Miura's interviews, in addition to unique Berserk tidbits that include explanations about emblematic Japanese words used in Berserk, glimpses at rare art and merchandise, insights on the series we don't typically post, and behind-the-scenes details and as well as stories of the forum's past. They're posted weekly and 20 are already available.

patreon-beherit-silver.png

In addition to the Bronze tier rewards, you unlock access to our exclusive mini-podcasts (~30 minutes long) featuring Walter and Aazealh, with one new episode created each month.

The mini-podcast lineup so far includes:

Mini-Podcast 1: Reactions Over the Years
Mini-Podcast 2: Drunk Podcast
Mini-Podcast 3: A Day in the Life of a SKnet Admin
Mini-Podcast 4: Griffith's tactics during the Golden Age

patreon-beherit-gold.png

patreon-update3.jpg

Gold tier subscribers receive early access (months in advance) to Puella's exclusive translations. They're posted every other week-end. They also get to vote on what to prioritize. Lastly, these subscribers get a mention at the end of every SkullKast episode we record (but can opt-out if they prefer) to show who it is that helps this kind of work become a reality. And they get all the perks from lower tiers as well.

Of course, besides these tier rewards, Puella will keep translating Berserk episodes on the forum as they come out, thanks to the support of those patrons. And we're keeping a stretch goal where if we exceed $400 per month, she will be posting new translations from Miura's interviews every week. Few know it, but he's given over 25 of them over the years!

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to make a post about it instead of asking in the thread since this might be relevant for others, too.
I was about to set up patreon and it’s asking for additional VAT. Is that to convert € to $? If the money goes to Puella she’d need it in € anyways, right? Or is that a fee for Patreon for hosting the service or due to France having higher betterment taxes?
I’d rather pay the amount of the taxes directly to Puella instead of changing currency, which is stupid because I live in the EU, too. That’d be € to $ and again to €.
This is my first time using Patreon, maybe it’s something completely normal, I just wanted to check before setting this up.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to make a post about it instead of asking in the thread since this might be relevant for others, too.
I was about to set up patreon and it’s asking for additional VAT. Is that to convert € to $? If the money goes to Puella she’d need it in € anyways, right? Or is that a fee for Patreon for hosting the service or due to France having higher betterment taxes?
I’d rather pay the amount of the taxes directly to Puella instead of changing currency, which is stupid because I live in the EU, too. That’d be € to $ and again to €.
This is my first time using Patreon, maybe it’s something completely normal, I just wanted to check before setting this up.

It's calculated based on the country contributors reside in, so in your case it's because Germany's VAT is higher than in the rest of the EU I guess? Paying in euros isn't a problem and VAT isn't related to that. Feel free to PM me additional details if you want me to try and figure out the exact policies!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
As a member of the silver tier, I'm very excited about all the new content and have been enjoying the latest posts a whole lot! There is a ton of value here, and Puella has earned all this support (and much more) for her contributions over the years. I really hope it continues to grow.

And thanks all, glad you like the banner. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a while since we updated this thread. If you haven't kept up with all the updates Aazealh has done for Patreon subscribers over the past few months, honestly you've been missing out:

• Puella launched a new, long interview translation (Interview between Miura and Persona's developers)
  • Translation tidbits about the differences between Dark Horse and the original text, along with Japanese lessons about key kanji in Berserk
  • Pictures of rare Berserk merchandise and posters
  • Minipodcasts (7 are out now, with a new one each month)
And much more. In total, since May there have been 56 posts. If you think you can spare a few bucks each month, dig in!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Inspired by @guuuuuuuuts, to give a bit of an update:

-150 posts have been made over the past year
-17 mini-podcasts available
-Tons of tidbits about Japanese terms used in Berserk
-Pictures and details about old Berserk collectibles
-The translation of the tributes to Miura is getting wrapped up
-The interview from "The Artwork of Berserk" will follow, and many others afterwards
-This supports Puella's ongoing efforts for providing quality translations of Berserk episodes on the forum

In case anyone's not yet sure whether to start being a patreon or not: it's great, definitely do it! Lots of cool information, Aaz always answers specific questions (at least I believe it's pretty much always him), even more podcasts (which is great if you're caught up with the normal one), great information about rare Berserk things you wouldn't easily find here (if at all) and much more. And the biggest and best thing: Puella gets rewarded for doing all these great translations.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A little update on the Patreon:

-The Artwork of Berserk interview will be halfway done by the end of the year. 2 pages are already available.
-The 10 "Messages to Kentarou Miura" tributes are finished.
-Over 20 exclusive podcast episodes.
-15 posts that analyze Berserk concepts often misunderstood due to poor translation.
-40 posts focusing on specific Japanese terms in Berserk and explaining their pronunciation, meaning, etc.
-Over 35 posts showcasing lesser-known Berserk artwork or merchandise and providing context.

Incredible. Thank you for everything you do for us, puella!

I also love seeing updates on older volumes or promotional material that you only have visibility to if you were following/collecting YA issues for a very long time. Is it just me or did the Patreon updates ramp up in the last 2-3 months?

Top Bottom