People given new names when they become apostles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
Just a little thought of mines. I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed but if it hasn't I would like your thoughts on the idea. I thought of this because Griffith was given the name Femto when he became the 5th angel. I wonder if it's the same for apostles?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddTheImmortal said:
Just a little thought of mines. I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed but if it hasn't I would like your thoughts on the idea. I thought of this because Griffith was given the name Femto when he became the 5th angel. I wonder if it's the same for apostles?
It appears they get new names sometimes, but not always. Ex: Rochine (formerly spelled as: Roshinu).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddTheImmortal said:
Ah yes so maybe zodds name was something like his current name but what would wyalds name be lol
That's not what I meant, and I'd hoped I wouldn't confuse anyone with the "new" translation spelling of Rochine's name, I admit it was confusing, throwing that curveball in there. My point was just that her name's always been Rochine. Jill knew her as Rochine, and so she was called the same as an apostle.

WE used to spell her name as Roshinu, but that's just a translation thing and bears no meaning on her being an apostle or anything. As for others, I really don't think there's much to it. For all we know, their apostle name could very well be what their former human name, such as what I assume Irvine and Grunbeld's were. But by that same token, it could have been something completely different.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddTheImmortal said:

While it's not impossible, I don't think it's the case in general, and so far nothing points to it. No apostle that we know of has had a name change. So my answer would be no. Members of the God Hand are special cases.

Walter said:
Ex: Rochine (formerly spelled as: Roshinu).

Actually, Rochine isn't even sure as a spelling. Could very well be Rosine.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, and every given example has been to the contrary: Locus, Grunbeld, Rakshas, etc all go by their known human names.

Though maybe that's just cause they're awesome, I can see loser Apostles taking shitty handles, like on the Internet, "Apostle_Destroyah182, get him!"

Though I shouldn't talk. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Just a question, were the name given by idea of evil himself?

Nothing seems to indicate it. I guess it's possible the God Hand was told what the name should be beforehand, but since nothing hints at it, we can't tell.

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
Aazealh said:
While it's not impossible, I don't think it's the case in general, and so far nothing points to it. No apostle that we know of has had a name change. So my answer would be no. Members of the God Hand are special cases.

Actually, Rochine isn't even sure as a spelling. Could very well be Rosine.

But what kinda name is Wyald or Zodd neither of them really sound like a midevil name

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddTheImmortal said:
But what kinda name is Wyald or Zodd neither of them really sound like a midevil name
Does the name really have to correspond with our world's tradition of naming? Anyway, Zodd isn't anymore strange than Guts to me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, that's pretty specious reasoning, and it flies in the face of the prevailing logic. There's plenty of strange names in Berserk, but there's nothing to suggest that Apostles change their names, and plenty of examples of them not. It's not implausible, and an interesting idea on your part, there's just no reason to think or assume it's so until we're informed otherwise.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddTheImmortal said:
But what kinda name is Wyald or Zodd neither of them really sound like a medieval name

Berserk isn't set in the Middle Ages. It happens in its own world. And in that world, Zodd and Wyald are perfectly good names. Like Zepec or Zondark. Anyway, like it's been said, apostles don't get new names as far as we know.

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
Aazealh said:
Berserk isn't set in the Middle Ages. It happens in its own world. And in that world, Zodd and Wyald are perfectly good names. Like Zepec or Zondark. Anyway, like it's been said, apostles don't get new names as far as we know.

It's defiantly got a middle age tone to it. The armour,weapons,kings,etc. Besides the apostles and godhand and demon tree's and ogres and trolls it seems to be middle ages to me. But yes your right it is definatly in it's own world.

CnC

Ad Oculos
ZoddTheImmortal said:
It's defiantly got a middle age tone to it. The armour,weapons,kings,etc. Besides the apostles and godhand and demon tree's and ogres and trolls it seems to be middle ages to me. But yes your right it is definatly in it's own world.

It bounces around European time frames all the time. A lot of the attire can be drawn from the 17th and 18th centuries, as well (not the middle ages).

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Hmm, i would say that the change in name and title only applies to members of God Hand,as was stated before. After all, these individuals are supposed to have gone above and beyond their old mortal existances, true expressions of their darkest desires, however tainted they may be.We can see, via the example of Femto, that there's still the main driving force, the incentive that took them across the border of loosing their humanity, but they all have transcended morality it would seem. Hence the overall change.

Apostles on the other hand are mostly dark and twisted mockeries of their former selves. In a way, they really haven't become truly different individuals altogether. They have transformed into abominations, yes, but not as much as one might suspect.

neko-sama

I'm so much faster and better strategist than Guts
ZoddTheImmortal said:
It's defiantly got a middle age tone to it. The armour,weapons,kings,etc.

No, it doesn't. If anything, 'it' (including the armour, clothing, weaponry and architecture) has much more of a renaissance (even late renaissance I'd say) look and feel. But in the end it's a fantasy world, fullstop.

Besides the apostles and godhand and demon tree's and ogres and trolls it seems to be middle ages to me.

Actually, demons would be from different religions and mythologies (and that would include the Kelpie and miscellaneous elementals too), while trolls and ogres (and fairies) are fairy tale stuff... :serpico:

And as far as Apostles' names go, all those we have been told anything about (like Locus, Grunbeld or Rakshas (in the case of the last one very little of course, but we were told what his name was)) have apparently kept the names they had before, while those that we don't know (like Zodd or Wyald), well, we still don't. :guts:

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
neko-sama said:
No, it doesn't. If anything, 'it' (including the armour, clothing, weaponry and architecture) has much more of a renaissance (even late renaissance I'd say) look and feel. But in the end it's a fantasy world, fullstop.

Actually, demons would be from different religions and mythologies (and that would include the Kelpie and miscellaneous elementals too), while trolls and ogres (and fairies) are fairy tale stuff... :serpico:

I'm pretty sure besides what I said earlier it has a middle ages tone to it. It starts to blend into a fantasy story once they meet :zodd: and once the eclipse happens it's no longer a midevil mercenary type story anylonger. Before that they only fought soldiers and gained recognition. Until episode 6 of the anime I thought it was a regular midevil type story which is not a bad thing but once they met zodd it added that extra edge to the story. And I knew it wasn't just a regular type of anime :D

neko-sama

I'm so much faster and better strategist than Guts
ZoddTheImmortal said:
neko-sama said:

I'm pretty sure besides what I said earlier it has a middle ages tone to it.

Sorry, but no. Just because guys have swords and ride horses, doesn't mean it has anything to do with the Middle Ages. This is actually what is called 'fantasy' (as the genre) or 'sword and sorcery'. Think Conan or Kane or Elric or Lord of the Rings or Flesh & Blood or Captain Kronos - or Hawk the Slayer -- or :gasp: Alkor(!) XD OK, slowing down now....

It starts to blend into a fantasy story once they meet :zodd: and once the eclipse happens it's no longer a midevil

Psst, the word you're looking for is "medieval"...

mercenary type story anylonger. Before that they only fought soldiers and gained recognition. Until episode 6 of the anime I thought it was a regular midevil type story which is not a bad thing but once they met zodd it added that extra edge to the story.

Yes, in all I think I understand what you mean and where you're coming from, but as I said before, just the fact that you have guys riding horses and fighting with swords doesn't mean it's Middle Ages (specially since nothing in the story really is), even without the fantasy elements (which are also much scarcer in the anime), the plain mercenary story would be as much medieval as the aforementioned "Flesh & Blood"...

btw I have an impression you're basing your assumptions just on the anime, which isn't the best way to go, as it is at best only a bastard child of the real story ;)

And I knew it wasn't just a regular type of anime :D

Ah, I don't think there even is such a thing :ganishka:

One thing for sure though, Berserk isn't your regular anything.

PS. I think we've gone off topic far enough, better stop now unless we want to get slapped for it :troll:

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
Sorry, but no. Just because guys have swords and ride horses, doesn't mean it has anything to do with the Middle Ages. This is actually what is called 'fantasy' (as the genre) or 'sword and sorcery'. Think Conan or Kane or Elric or Lord of the Rings or Flesh & Blood or Captain Kronos - or Hawk the Slayer -- or :gasp: Alkor(!) XD OK, slowing down now....

You still don't understand what im saying. The way the theme is there's kings and the way some of the people look and what they dress like ( apostles not included) IM only using the anime as a example because it show's the medieval tone the most ( not including the eclipse and zodd :D) But your right wayyyyy off topic for to long. Im done on the subject.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddTheImmortal said:
It's defiantly got a middle age tone to it.

Not sure what's defiant about it, however I'm sure your historical competence in judging these things is quite limited (no offense intended). It's no big deal and people get your point, but what you say isn't really correct and not furthering your original idea. Since you didn't seem to get my point though, I'll repeat it again: Berserk isn't set in the Middle Ages. It's not happening in our world, and therefore no correspondence of the sort is going to be relevant here. The names in Berserk in general aren't meant to be coherent in reference to a specific time period, and indeed they aren't. They can't possibly be judged on that basis.

It's normal that you get a Middle Ages "feel", but it's just that, a superficial impression. If you look in detail, it doesn't hold. And in any case, it still can't justify the idea that names should be strictly relevant to that time period, especially since most of them don't.

ZoddTheImmortal said:
The armour,weapons,kings,etc. Besides the apostles and godhand and demon tree's and ogres and trolls it seems to be middle ages to me.

That's because you haven't researched these facts. Like others said, a good amount of different time periods and civilizations can be related to these elements, not just the Middle Ages.

neko-sama said:
Actually, demons would be from different religions and mythologies (and that would include the Kelpie and miscellaneous elementals too), while trolls and ogres (and fairies) are fairy tale stuff...

Yeah, suffice to say that whenever not purely fictional, the influences come from a rather varied assortment of folklores and mythologies.

ZoddTheImmortal said:
I'm pretty sure besides what I said earlier it has a middle ages tone to it. It starts to blend into a fantasy story once they meet :zodd:

You're wrong. The story has always been fantasy, starting with page 1 of volume 1. I think you should read the manga and forget about the animated series altogether. The anime isn't a reference at all, it'd really be better if you didn't base yourself on it. Otherwise it will only confuse you and induce you into error.

ZoddTheImmortal said:
Until episode 6 of the anime I thought it was a regular midevil type story

I guess you forgot to watch the first episode then, in which Guts fights an apostle and is harassed by spectres. ;)

ZoddTheImmortal said:
You still don't understand what im saying. The way the theme is there's kings and the way some of the people look and what they dress like

No, I think he perfectly understands, you're just not seeing it. The problem is that you're wrong to believe that the way people dress or the fact there are kings in the story is especially indicative of that time period. It is not.

ZoddTheImmortal said:
IM only using the anime as a example

Not a good idea. In any case, what neko-sama pointed out is also valid as far as the animated series is concerned. Phew, this thread has really gone a long way considering its original subject. Time to lay it to rest I think. :serpico:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom