POLL: Guess Miura's 'Next Project'

What's Miura's "you know what" project?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Among the mysterious morsels in the latest Miura interview was this:

What about the post-Berserk period? I think you've had a science fiction project in your head for a long time.... Could you tell us more about that?

Can I talk about you know what?

- Actually, it depends on when this interview will be made public.

It's better to avoid the subject, then.

He leaves it completely open, even the nature of what it is: Berserk related or not. However earlier in the interview he implies that another TV series is not on the table currently.

- With Netflix, we could turn Berserk into a TV series.

If I can get this manga done in such a way that he keeps his fans to the end, then we'll talk about it again. Because right now, I'm trying to finish the manga cleanly.

So, what could it be? The interviewer leads off with a question about a sci-fi series (apparently ignorant of Gigantomakhia having already been created and released since Miura last talked about a future sci-fi project). The possibilities are nearly endless, though we'll probably get our answer on this in the coming weeks, let's have some fun guessing at ideas.

I do not think it will be Berserk related nor a mini series like Gigantomakhia. Going off the interview, it most likely seems to be SF related and i could imagine a small project like drawing illustrations for a SF novel or create an art book in that direction

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Going off the interview, it most likely seems to be SF related and i could imagine a small project like drawing illustrations for a SF novel or create an art book in that direction

That's what it sounded like at first to me, too. But the guy was in general teeing up Miura to talk about other projects, and it seemed like that's what Miura was about to do. Also, I don't think we can take the transition between question and answer so literally, given that there were a number of times where the response wasn't 100% in line with the question, due to how the translation happened between the two. :shrug:

MASTER-AMIR

Guts The Black Swordsman
According to the recent interviews Miura are very seriously focused on the Berserk. so I doubt that the next project is unrelated to Berserk If he wants to be unrelated, we should not wait for reveal it soon.

I would love to have a new light novel about the past of Skull Knight or Zodd. Or the New Art Book.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
My initial thought was another sci-fi mini-series based on the way the question was posed, but you bring up a good point, Walter, about Gigantomakhia filling that space.

So I'm voting for what I hope it will be, which is a comprehensive art book, picking up where the first one ended--a companion book of sorts perhaps. He's easily got enough material for several books, but I'll take one coffee-table-size tome, please!

Could it be a remake of the Dreamcast game? It definitely needs one. It had a good story, but the gameplay aged terribly.

Is it at all possible in anyone’s opinion that Miura is teasing a reveal of when the post-Berserk period might be? Like maybe there’s an announcement of a schedule change for Berserk related to him having enough storyboarded to go back up to a certain level of productivity but they’re still figuring out how far off it is that he’ll be able to focus entirely on drawing and writing up the manga (vs. researching, storyboarding - not implying here that he doesn’t already devote a ton of time to Berserk)? This is entirely wishful thinking and to be clear not what I think this is actually about, but if he’s just responding to the first part of the question... especially since the rest of the interview has so many morsels about how focused he is on Berserk right now. Would be a bit of whiplash if he’s taking on a whole other project right now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game since MK3, but I've been watching the trailers for MK11 on YouTube with interest. That prompted me to tell Walter last week that if a game had to have a fun and easy-to-pull-off Berserk cameo these days, I could see it being a Mortal Kombat game. It'd be cool to see Guts cut people in half as a guest character. Then, after seeing Miura's comment in the interview, and given that both MK11 and episode 358 are coming out next week, I realized yesterday there could actually be a chance of it happening now.

Now to be honest I'm not super convinced it's going to happen because the context of his comment in response to the question doesn't really allude to that, but who knows. And since Walter basically made this thread to get me to post about this idea, well here you go. :ganishka:

Is it at all possible in anyone’s opinion that Miura is teasing a reveal of when the post-Berserk period might be?

He literally says earlier in the interview that he will not give an estimate of when he'll finish the series because he can't guarantee that it would be accurate. So... no.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm voting for what I hope it will be, which is a comprehensive art book, picking up where the first one ended--a companion book of sorts perhaps. He's easily got enough material for several books, but I'll take one coffee-table-size tome, please!

I've dreamed of that for years. A while back I attempted to list all of what's not been collected since the last artbook (in 1997). I concluded there's at least enough material for 3 art books.

Is it at all possible in anyone’s opinion that Miura is teasing a reveal of when the post-Berserk period might be? Like maybe there’s an announcement of a schedule change for Berserk related to him having enough storyboarded to go back up to a certain level of productivity but they’re still figuring out how far off it is that he’ll be able to focus entirely on drawing and writing up the manga (vs. researching, storyboarding - not implying here that he doesn’t already devote a ton of time to Berserk)?

No, I don't think that would make any sense. He said in this interview that even postulating whether the series had 1/5 or 1/4 remaining would be imprudent, so I can't imagine he'd then take the leap of declaring a finish date. He also specifically said: In the end, it will depend on the age at which I finish Berserk.

No, I don't think that would make any sense. He said in this interview that even postulating whether the series had 1/5 or 1/4 remaining would be imprudent, so I can't imagine he'd then take the leap of declaring a finish date. He also specifically said: In the end, it will depend on the age at which I finish Berserk.

Derp this is what happens when you theorize on an empty stomach.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Now to be honest I'm not super convinced it's going to happen because the context of his comment in response to the question doesn't really allude to that, but who knows. And since Walter basically made this thread to get me to post about this idea, well here you go.

I'm convinced :daiba:

Considering Miura mentioned "you know what" after being asked a question about a "sci-fi project" after a presumable "post-Berserk period," I doubt whatever he has planned or at least just in his head is in any way related to Berserk. The biggest thing I'd expect is another miniseries on the same scale as Gigantomakhia, if not an outright continuation of Gigantomakhia. Though it could also be something relatively smaller, like a collaborative project with another mangaka, or an art exchange.:shrug:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Considering Miura mentioned "you know what" after being asked a question about a "sci-fi project"

In this reading, the interviewer somehow correctly guessed the nature of Miura's next project. Possible of course, but seems unlikely to me. Otherwise Miura took the opportunity to try to transition into whatever is next for him. And as he kept stressing that he is focused on finishing Berserk, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me for him to be launching something unrelated at this time.

In any case, the announcement is likely only weeks away!

If Miura's post-Berserk project is Sci-Fi (and admittedly, that's a big if), then that would actually make Berserk something of a standout in a body of work (Noa, Futatabi, Gigantomakhia) that's dominated by Sci-Fi. Obviously that's not counting the stuff he illustrated for Buronson, but it's quite interesting nonetheless.

That said, he could blindside all of us by taking a leaf out of Umino Chica's book and doing a slice of life/drama series! :troll:

According to the recent interviews Miura are very seriously focused on the Berserk. so I doubt that the next project is unrelated to Berserk If he wants to be unrelated, we should not wait for reveal it soon.

I would love to have a new light novel about the past of Skull Knight or Zodd. Or the New Art Book.

Those two characters are too vital to Berserks plot to have origins seperate from the manga. I would read the shit out of a Berserk encyclopedia though, like World of Ice and Fire, written from the perspective of the witches or the Holy See.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
If Miura's post-Berserk project is Sci-Fi (and admittedly, that's a big if), then that would actually make Berserk something of a standout in a body of work (Noa, Futatabi, Gigantomakhia) that's dominated by Sci-Fi. Obviously that's not counting the stuff he illustrated for Buronson, but it's quite interesting nonetheless.

This really isn't the right way to think about it. Noa and Futatabi were juvenile works that were only ever printed once in a magazine. And they're only 50 pages long each.
Gigantomakhia is a legitimate work, but it's a single volume for now. Meanwhile Miura has spent over 30 years working on Berserk, and has produced over 8000 pages for it.
So your comparison just doesn't make sense.

This really isn't the right way to think about it. Noa and Futatabi were juvenile works that were only ever printed once in a magazine. And they're only 50 pages long each.
Gigantomakhia is a legitimate work, but it's a single volume for now. Meanwhile Miura has spent over 30 years working on Berserk, and has produced over 8000 pages for it.
So your comparison just doesn't make sense.
Fair enough, I didn't take account of the sheer difference in scale.

Still, given that, as you said, Noa and Futatabi are "early years" works, it would be somewhat interesting to see Miura fully revisit that genre. Might it be something like Gigantomakhia (if not an outright continuation) or would he approach science fiction from a different angle (say, something more "traditionally" Sci-Fi)?

Or might he swerve completely from both fantasy and Sci-Fi? I joked, but I'd really be up for a slice of life series from Miura.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
it would be somewhat interesting to see Miura fully revisit that genre. Might it be something like Gigantomakhia (if not an outright continuation) or would he approach science fiction from a different angle (say, something more "traditionally" Sci-Fi)? Or might he swerve completely from both fantasy and Sci-Fi? I joked, but I'd really be up for a slice of life series from Miura.

Sure. I mean, I'd prefer if Miura focused on Berserk for now, but regardless I'll take anything he does in any genre. I really liked Gigantomakhia.

There was that one Interview between Miura and the former editor of Dragonball and i remembered this line

Torishima think you should just do it. I wouldn’t mind being your editor if you start a new series (laughs).

Miura: Really?! That could be fun (laughs). How about the piece that I’m cooking up right now?

Torishima: I bet it’ll make me want to draw for it myself. It could end up being Editor Torishima’s final story meeting (laughs).

Im not sure if it was just a badly worded translation or if it was indicating that Miura was actually working on something new? Anyways the interview got released 2016

I really hope it's a continuation of Gigantomakhia.

Say what you will about the main story of the book, but the last episode made the entire world so much more interesting and opened it up for so much cool potential.

Some of the visuals were amazing and I'd really like to see the world fulfilled. I also swear at some point, Miura said he wanted to revisit it someday? So I do hope it's what he's talking about.

Either way, it'd be interesting to see his take on other types of sci-fi or whatever. I want to see some crazy cosmic space shit or something.

I would love to have something like the official guidebook, only more in depth and featuring stuff (locations, denizens...etc) never seen in the main series, when it finishes. Maybe a spin-off wouldn´t be such a good idea, but I´d certainly buy an enormous Berserk encyclopedia with lots of info and details (and illustrations, of course).

Top Bottom