Possibly the return of early Puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
With the continuation of Berserk under Mori, could chestnut Puck Disappear forever? In these recent episodes it just seems to just be regular old puck and chestnut puck nowhere in sight so this has me thinking, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
In the later part of the series, Puck more than any characters often acted as a vessel for Miura. He conveyed his commentary and humor in a manner that cannot be imitated by someone else. It is therefore not surprising that they aren't trying to.

That being said, you're misrepresenting how the characters are depicted in the continuation. Whether it's Puck, Guts, Isidro, Serpico or whoever else, they're mere shadows of themselves. Puck as depicted in episodes 365-371 is much farther away from his depiction in volume 1 than he was in volume 40. He's really nothing at all like "regular old Puck". For one thing, Puck always cared about people. He wouldn't be the type to hang around without any real thought or reaction in such a dramatic situation.

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
In the later part of the series, Puck more than any characters often acted as a vessel for Miura. He conveyed his commentary and humor in a manner that cannot be imitated by someone else. It is therefore not surprising that they aren't trying to.

That being said, you're misrepresenting how the characters are depicted in the continuation. Whether it's Puck, Guts, Isidro, Serpico or whoever else, they're mere shadows of themselves. Puck as depicted in episodes 365-371 is much farther away from his depiction in volume 1 than he was in volume 40. He's really nothing at all like "regular old Puck". For one thing, Puck always cared about people. He wouldn't be the type to hang around without any real thought or reaction in such a dramatic situation.
Ah, thank you for breaking it down for me

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
With the continuation of Berserk under Mori, could chestnut Puck Disappear forever? In these recent episodes it just seems to just be regular old puck and chestnut puck nowhere in sight so this has me thinking, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
This is a rather surface level way of thinking about it. Just about every major character has been inconsistently written in the continuation, so can you really equate “new” Puck with “regular” Puck?

Characterization aside, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chestnut Puck design never returned in the story itself. Like Aaz said, he was very much Miura's self insert vehicle for commentary and humor, so it really wouldn't be appropriate. They did use him on a Christmas illustration they did, though...

I might be in a minority, but the overabundance of Chestnut Puck in the later arcs kinda bothered me, as I prefer his "normal" self generally and when Miura had a good balance between the two sides of him. I was saddened to see that Puck pretty much existed only in his comical side lately, and it was so good for me to see a lot of "normal" Puck in 364 (along with pretty much everything from that episode). Sadly he isn't getting justice by the Mori-Gaga serialization.

I do miss black swordsman arc Puck, but honestly, I don't really know what else could be done with him after other characters kind of filled the role he had back then.

Besides, I do like me a good chestnut puck reaction image... :puck:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom