Prometheus

H

hellrasinbrasin

IncantatioN said:
Why do you think that? Curious to know.

Because of the reverence that that mural had over the other Mural. Very much how a specific painting or sculpture of Christ would carry reverence by a christian or a catholic.
The Being crucified in the center of the mural if you look at the design of the head fits the design of the creature born at the end ... a 2nd coming if you will

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
That's a rather debatable claim, and I think the movie would have been better with less people in it anyway.

I agree.
There's just too much going on for a 2h film. Actions are bound to be rushed for the sake of moving on with the movie.

frankencowx said:
Welcome to... the franchise???

Well, if i remember correctly, before it had been confirmed as sort of a reboot-prequel to Alien, there were two movies, Prometheus and the sequel Paradise.

hellrasinbrasin said:
Because of the reverence that that mural had over the other Mural. Very much how a specific painting or sculpture of Christ would carry reverence by a christian or a catholic.
The Being crucified in the center of the mural if you look at the design of the head fits the design of the creature born at the end ... a 2nd coming if you will
Crucified ... or perhaps just restrained if you look at the lines over the arms. By assuming that pose, it's easy to think it has a Catholic explanation/ reference, but what if it's just a diversion in the sense it makes you think the obvious when it's actually not. It could simply be a warning. The entire mural could be a depiction of the process to get to THAT particular Xeno. Maybe it's to be feared? Coming out of an Engineer, there could be a hint of an intelligent being, add that to it's destructive aggressive capabilities and you've got a worthy adversary against the Engineer race.

H

hellrasinbrasin

...With the way that Scott's branch off Project was designed One Story heads off into uncharted territory in the Universe of Alien and the other returns to familiar waters.

NightCrawler said:
Well, if i remember correctly, before it had been confirmed as sort of a reboot-prequel to Alien, there were two movies, Prometheus and the sequel Paradise.

I was more or less referring to the Alien legacy, how the baseline conflict is always people, running away from Aliens..

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
What I'm specifically talking about is lack of an interesting conflict.
The Engineers have already tried to kill Shaw once before (granted that specific engineer may have had a psychopathic episode, we'll never know because he is dead) and the Engineer species intended to orbital bombard Earth with bio-weapons.

If the Engineer species wanted to bomb Earth so bad they would have sent some more troops out our way in the 2000 years between coming up with the plan and the events of the movie. Just sayin', it might not be as simple as the Engineers going "whoa what, a human!?" and flipping the fuck out. Or it could be! I don't know, I'm not writing the thing, but I'm also not going to dismiss it under the pretense that there's nowhere else to take this because that's patently wrong.

There really isn't a lot to do with a sequel that doesn't involve Shaw running away 99% of the film realizing how dumb her idea is, which if that is the sequel I'm sure you're going to love it.

Hello, I see you're not familiar with the Alien franchise.

hellrasinbrasin said:
The Engineer's God has been reborn at the end of Prometheus

Albeit an extremely convoluted and vague way of creating their "god" the end scene doesn't strike me as anything special. The Engineers had contact with humans throughout thousands of years. All it takes is having a human ingest a drop of black goo, have them make a baby and have the newly emerged squid hugger squid hug an engineer (maybe simpler). There you go a brand new "god" was born. I just don't see this process and outcome as being anything unique or special come the end of the movie. Are you implying that all xenomorphs have been wiped out completely and this is now the only one? It's still only one and on an abandoned planet....it will need quite the explanation for that xenomorph to have more relevance.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
I just don't see this process and outcome as being anything unique or special come the end of the movie. Are you implying that all xenomorphs have been wiped out completely and this is now the only one? It's still only one and on an abandoned planet....it will need quite the explanation for that xenomorph to have more relevance.

Of course the process isn't unique or special. To me it's pretty clearly meant to show how that super bio-weapon that is the black goo (years of RE games make me want to say BEE OW DOUBLE U) led to the "classic" xenomorph by accident (unless it always ends up being that after multiple and varying intermediary transformations). It's not even the same exact type of creature, just one resembling it. And the giant squid-hugger didn't seem less formidable than the resulting offspring either. Nor did the cobra-huggers seem cruder or less effective than the "classic" face-huggers.

H

hellrasinbrasin

201206142.jpg

That scene's explained in the movie's art book as well.

You also see the
Xeno (at the end) climbing a hill towards a Derelict ship. Could be something they'll take along when they do the sequel, maybe.

Not really (not in the context of your question) because in this case, it'll feature in the extended/ Director's cut. It's why such formats have come to exist. If you didn't watch the same for Alien you wouldn't know that Dallas was alive waiting to be chestbursted or that Brett was turning into an Alien egg like being. You just assume they're dead, plot-hole? Maybe and it doesn't matter in Alien's case.

What I don't get is that if it got a good R rating, why didn't they just put everything on it and give it all the R stuff they MAYBE withheld on. If those were just character development scenes, I'd still be up for it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
What I don't get is that if it got a good R rating, why didn't they just put everything on it and give it all the R stuff they MAYBE withheld on. If those were just character development scenes, I'd still be up for it.
I'm willing to bet that the R stuff had more to do with what was and was not shown during the c-section scene. The MPAA have very finicky rules about that kind of stuff.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Visual FX Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veoWdXJ9KNs&feature=player_embedded

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
frankencowx said:
Don't you think reliance on supplemental material to explain certain scenes shows a failure to make a self contained movie?

It could also have been the studio's decision to have the movie cut down for time reasons, but that's pure speculation. I know Scott has had quite the history with studios making controversial decisions about his films.

I'll check out the Director's Cut/Extended Edition when it shows up On Demand (I'm like someone going through stages of grief; right now it's denial. "The Director's Cut will make sense and make it a better movie!" I hope I'm right, but I think the odds aren't in my favor.)

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/prometheus-credits-tag-leads-to-a-new-viral-site-weyland-video/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_24383

WeylandFinalFootageCreditstagtsr4.jpg

Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Well, what do we have here. Amidst all the discussion on Prometheus, fans have seemed to miss a clue that continues the story beyond what we see in this movie. MovieViral points out of that if you stay to the very end of the credits, there is a Weyland Corp tag (not a scene, just a logo - seen above) that includes the date 10. 11. 12. prominently displayed. I'd heard mentions of this, but many played it off as the possible DVD release date of Prometheus, which would (and still does) make sense. But there's actually a viral website associated with it and that comes with a new video featuring a young Peter Weyland.

At first glance, the tag just contains some basic information - Weyland Corp, which is a nifty little bumper, plus a link to the timeline website and that date. Fans following the viral should already be familiar with the viral timeline, which has provided many clues and lots of valuable information. For example, in this case, 10-11-2012 is the date when Weyland Incorporates. It states: "Weyland Corporation is recognized as a legal entity and corporation under United States law and receives their Certificate of Incorporation from the Companies House in the United Kingdom." So it's when they go from Weyland Corp to Weyland Industries, must be a major change. The new site was then discovered at WhatIs101112.com with even more clues...

So what's on this new 10.11.12. website? A lot of interesting information which seems to ask even more questions rather than answer any. But there may be some big clues here. One of the key components is a new video, a short 30-second video featuring a young Peter Weyland (played by Guy Pearce) from the TED 2023 Talk. In it, he only says one line: "I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." But there's also the tag on the video itself: Thus Spoke Zarathustra. The title refers to the book by German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. "Much of the work deals with ideas such as the 'eternal recurrence of the same', the parable on the 'death of God', and the 'prophecy' of the Übermensch," it states. Watch the video:

The website also features a 3D render of a book with the title written on it "What is Great in Man is That He is a Bridge and Not an End." It's another quote from Nietzsche's book Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which all of this must be heavily connected to, given the numerous references so far.
Plus, for everyone who has now seen Prometheus, all of these connections are starting to make sense. Weyland wants to meet his maker and wants to support a voyage to meet these gods, whoever they may be, since he is in search of power as well.
But what does 10.11.12 really mean? We're not entirely sure yet. The site has five "modules", currently only at "1-A1", so we may have four more of these to go through, plus four more months until October anyway.

Video is, obviously, in the link.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
My impressions, about an hour or so after, and I purposely haven't read the other reviews in the thread because I don't want to be "arguing" with anybody from the get go:

First, the spoiler (btw, SPOILERS =) that got me down a few pages back in here was I saw the engineer and was crestfallen that it was the kind of alien that looks too human. Of course, that went away in the first scene and I was happy and ready to go again (and the scene looked great). But... let me start over.

You ever met someone with otherworldly good looks, an inspiring presence, and natural charisma you're drawn to and want to like, but unfortunately they just don't have one real idea in their head?

That's Prometheus. It looks great, has some great scenes, I enjoyed its company, wanted to like it, spend more time with it even (what a ripoff non-ending), but afterward, even though I still liked what I liked about it (and really didn't like what I didn't for dragging it down), there was no deeper connection because there was no substance to connect to. It's no coincidence one of the guy's behind Lost wrote this, because it suffers from the same problem of going nowhere, of proposing big ideas and continually promising answers, but ultimately never getting there (literally in this case). Aside from Fassbender's performance and the direction and visuals (including the effects), it was just a cool creature feature, and all the pseudo-philosophical discussion was just setup for that, not the other way around. Ultimately, it's a shaggy dog story, all sizzle and no steak, smoke without fire, just sound and fury.

Still, like I said, for the most part I enjoyed it while watching, but that's always conditional. I didn't really have a problem with the events of the film, other than some of the annoyingly stupid characters I was happy to see die, or all the little plot holes, or even the music (too much WONDER, not enough "wonder what's around the corner?"). Taken all together, one of the movie's big overall flaws, just as a thriller, was that nobody showed real trepidation like they should have, like it really was an exercise or a ride. It's a simple thing, but it matters. Anyway, I don't know, I'm conflicted, a lot to like, a lot not to, but it's definitely not your average movie and you'll see things here you won't anywhere else, but I just wish it had lived up to its potential. I could go on, but I'm not sure what to say without nitpicking it to death, and that's really not my chief concern, which was the big picture.

P.S. BTW, my dad's take was like it was some 1930's sci fi pulp (and he's read most of them =) looking at the future but not actually understanding how things work; thus, the asshole non-scientist rushing out and taking his helmet off, etc, etc, etc (because stupid stuff like that kept happening to setup neat monster scenes). Actually, this is basically my dad's review, take it away Mr. Plinkett:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

:ganishka:

Top Bottom