Question about Guts' POV on Casca's Reaction to Griffith

So, readers know what was going on in volumes 21-22 when Casca saw Griffith and ran for him (that she was sensing her child). I'm curious about this question though, and haven't seen it discussed: what might Guts think is going on? After all, he sees Casca twice pretty much ignore him to try to run to Griffith. The only point I recall Guts reflecting on the situation at all is here:

DH1PHhO.jpg

That's the only time this question comes up within the text, right?

Guts clearly, emphatically, 100% is NOT making the gross and stupid leap that some readers have made regarding Casca being 'really in love with Griffith' or related nonsense--even though, unlike readers, he doesn't have a way to know what's actually going on.
He seems to not even consider that interpretation on a subconscious level, since it probably would have come up when the Beast was making the, 'kill Casca,' argument (or did I miss something there?).

The people on here have been thinking about Guts for rather longer than I have, so I thought I'd throw up a thread and see what y'all thought!
My 'best guess' interpretations have been that he just decides to set thinking about it aside (a rather dull answer) or, based on his facial expressions here, he decides that whatever it is, it just doesn't matter ('cause he's really a pretty damn decent human being and also love)--but like I said, that's just guessing and I'm a pretty new fan!

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That's the only time this question comes up within the text, right?

It's not mentioned in the text here, we just see two panels showing that Guts reflects on it. As for the text on page 112 and 113, it's Guts remembering Griffith's words to him, so not directly related.

what might Guts think is going on?

I would say that he probably thought the image of Griffith's shining figure from her past instinctively drew her to him or something, without her really knowing who it is. It's easy to see how that thought would pain him, but clearly he hasn't dwelled on it too much. That being said, it's actually something that is likely to be brought up again soon in the story, if Guts learns about his son's condition.

All readers with working brains of course know exactly what was going on in volumes 21-22 when Casca saw Griffith and ran for him (that she was sensing her child). [...] Guts clearly, emphatically, 100% is NOT making the gross and stupid leap that some readers have made [...]

Yeah, some people used to be confused about this long ago. To be fair, it's deliberately constructed to be subtle and non-obvious to the reader, so I'm not sure there's much merit to being so emphatically contemptful all those years later, with 20 more volumes available. You only get to do that if you were already saying so back then, like me. :iva:

It's not mentioned in the text here, we just see two panels showing that Guts reflects on it. As for the text on page 112 and 113, it's Guts remembering Griffith's words to him, so not directly related.

I was using, 'text,' in the sense of the work as a whole, including the images. I believe that's a way the word can be used--I remember doing so back at university, but maybe my professors just didn't grade my work closely enough!

I would say that he probably thought the image of Griffith's shining figure from her past instinctively drew her to him or something, without her really knowing who it is. It's easy to see how that thought would pain him, but clearly he hasn't dwelled on it too much. That being said, it's actually something that is likely to be brought up again soon in the story, if Guts learns about his son's condition.

Thanks Aazealh, that makes sense! Yeah, it also makes sense that this will end up being one of the pieces that comes together soon. After all, Casca unconsciously knows Griffith is actually her son, Skull Knight knows the Egg apostle produced Griffith, Guts knows the Demon Child was inside the Egg, and they all happen to be on the island at the same time... (I've got those facts in order, right? Hopefully it'll be important info to know soon!)

Yeah people used to be confused about this long ago. To be fair, it's deliberately constructed to be subtle and non-obvious to the reader, so I'm not sure there's much merit to being so emphatically contemptful all those years later, with 20 more volumes available.

You may be surprised--just a few weeks ago on Reddit, I had a heated conversation with someone who didn't get this and was using it to hate on Casca! But I may have gone a bit over the top. :) I wanted to make sure I couldn't be misinterpreted as thinking that was a possibility, at least in that I seem to have succeeded!

Edit to respond to edit:

Haha I can't argue with that, and I wouldn't imagine trying!

Last edited:
Top Bottom