Ratner's X-men 3 first look

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say the major problem will be Singer not directing it :carcus:

And that's Gen. Ization, buster. I did not watch my buddies die face down in the mud of Specifics so that I could come back to this country and be labeled a Private!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
I'd say the major problem will be Singer not directing it :carcus:

Also could be a problem :void:

Walter said:
And that's Gen. Ization, buster. I did not watch my buddies die face down in the mud of Specifics so that I could come back to this country and be labeled a Private!

You got demoted to Private of Izations when you brought the mud of Specifics back from the the great War of the Stars I... sorry.

Ehh I guess I have to elaborate every little point I make, happen to mention, or even happen not to mention.

My problem with the script was that it was atrocious. I still stand by that point. The plot is simply a retread of X2 with another human who hates mutants and wants to wipe them all out and instead of using Cerebro, he uses a virus he created. Guess what? He's even the father of a mutant son, being Arch Angel (this might be going by the comics but I honestly dont remember anymore and its rather stupid in the movie versions). Worse yet, they try to cram a butchered up version of the dark Pheonix saga in there as if they werent sure where to go with this movie.

Moving on from the rather slapped together plot that doesnt know what the hell it wants to do, the characters are pretty poorly done. They just drop certain characters altogether, while others who looked like they showed some potential to be great in the original movies, are simply pushed into the backround as nothing more than eyecandy (and sometimes less than that). Other characters who had potential from the comics because of their storylines, or were just fan favorites, are again, altered, screwed with, and in the end dropped into the backround and would have been more suitably named "Mutant villian #5".

The movie then focuses on Wolverine, Jean Grey, and Magneto (and him not so much in the way you think). Want to know why? Because ***SPOILERS*** Cyclops is killed, Prof X is killed, and Magneto is turned into a human using the virus created by Archangels father. They pretty much drop two of the more important characters in the movie (though this looks changed as we see Magneto still causing problems, though Cyclops looks dead still and maybe Prof X). ***END SPOILERS***.

So we've got a confused, crappy plot, some horrible plot twists, poorly done characters, and then there was the fact that the Fox studio execs and producers of the flick (Avi Arad as well), went on to publicly denounce fans, online reviewers and their sites, and anyone else who didnt like their decision to pretty much make X3 to compete with the new Superman flick just to try and Spite Singer. Hell I believe Arad went on a rant at one of the comic cons about how he supports Fox and what not and that everyone else doesnt matter despite the fact we pay to see the movie.

All in all, if this movie follows the original script even halfways, the movie is going to be horrible and even if Superman is mediocre it will trounce it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
even if Superman is mediocre it will trounce [X3].
Are the two movies going to physically fight? I'd pay for that. Actually, I'd rather the two studios associated with the movies had an all out brawl. That'd be more entertaining than the movies they're spending millions on.

Think of it, all the pent up rage and angst against Singer leaving the X-men franchise for Superman... Singer could also team up with David Hayter, screenwriter of X-Men 1 and US voice actor of Solid Snake. It already sounds A W E S U M!!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Actually, I'd rather the two studios associated with the movies had an all out brawl. That'd be more entertaining than the movies they're spending millions on.

I'd pay to see that...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Actually, I'd rather the two studios associated with the movies had an all out brawl. That'd be more entertaining than the movies they're spending millions on.

Budweiser would jump on that in a fuckin' second...unless Miller (the superior beer) beat 'em to it. :zodd:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
HawaiianStallion said:
So we've got a confused, crappy plot, some horrible plot twists, poorly done characters, and then there was the fact that the Fox studio execs and producers of the flick (Avi Arad as well), went on to publicly denounce fans, online reviewers and their sites, and anyone else who didnt like their decision to pretty much make X3 to compete with the new Superman flick just to try and Spite Singer. Hell I believe Arad went on a rant at one of the comic cons about how he supports Fox and what not and that everyone else doesnt matter despite the fact we pay to see the movie.

All in all, if this movie follows the original script even halfways, the movie is going to be horrible and even if Superman is mediocre it will trounce it.
nerd2vj.jpg
"But Aqua Man, you can't marry a girl with no gills?!​

Sorry, but perhaps the production team is not interested in following the hundreds of story lines page by page. Ever thought about that?

Comic based movies should never be viewed as going hand in hand with their source material.

Look at Lord of the Rings. Even with the extended versions things were still left out (not that I really care).

I just don't see the point in bitching about it.

The movies (back on the subject of comics) should just be viewed as an alternate series/story/universe/whatever. Look at all the Spiderman comics:

-Amazing Spiderman
-Spectacular Spiderman
-Web of Spiderman
-Ultimate Spiderman
-Spiderman 2099

They all do their own thing. Why should the movies be any different. Let them go off and do their own thing. If it works, then it works. If it doesn't then it doesn't.

Back to Spiderman, look at the movies. He produces his own webbing. In the comics he needs web cartriges. But does that make them terrible movies? Certainly not.

So just relax a little (directed at no one in particular).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
Comic based movies should never be viewed as going hand in hand with their source material.
I don't think anyone's arguing about it not being perfect, but rather, where studios draw the line, and start making their own shit up.

The movies (back on the subject of comics) should just be viewed as an alternate series/story/universe/whatever. Look at all the Spiderman comics:

-Amazing Spiderman
-Spectacular Spiderman
-Web of Spiderman
-Ultimate Spiderman
-Spiderman 2099
With the exception of Ultimate and 2099, all the above comics take place in the same universe, and frequently even have co-mingling story arcs.

Back to Spiderman, look at the movies. He produces his own web OF LIES AND DECEIT!!!!!!!
I agree.

Sorry, I do believe in most of what you're saying, but I feel, as Ramsey Clark defends Saddam, I have to play devil's advocate.

All I got to say as far as "movies never being like the comics"

Sin f$*@ing City baby! :p.

Sorry, I looooooooved sin city and imo it's the epitome so far of how to make a movie based on a comic. Granted they didn't get it ALL in there, but as far as adaptations go, they stuck to the comic hand and hand, frame by freaking frame.

I know that but what I dont think you're clearly understanding here is not just about them changing many of the fundamental elements of the comic, but also the fact they're making a horrid movie in general with poor writing all around. I'd also like to note if they're going to change so much in the movie from the comics then why bother doing a movie based on the comics in the first place, its like they're just cashing in on the name now. I can understand small stuff, and some stuff that is just unreasonable in movies like doing the whole Secret Wars in Spiderman to get Venom but this is just stupid now.

Stiler said:
All I got to say as far as "movies never being like the comics"

Sin f$*@ing City baby! :p.

Sorry, I looooooooved sin city and imo it's the epitome so far of how to make a movie based on a comic. Granted they didn't get it ALL in there, but as far as adaptations go, they stuck to the comic hand and hand, frame by freaking frame.

- Actually Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller filmed every single panel from the comics and are going to put out another edition of the DVD for the movie that lets you watch as the original theater version or seperates all 3 stories (no break in TYB) and adds in all the scenes cut from the movie such as Marv's mom, more people talking to Hartigan while he's in the hospital, so on and so forth.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
There's actually a lot of little differences between the Sin City movie and the original comics, not just edits, but lots of added shots, nuiances, and changes here and there. So, for better or worse, it's not truly panel by panel (this outrages me BTW, that and the fact that Marv isn't eight feet tall like in the books. True to the comics MY ASS!). :carcus:

BTW, where did you read the X3 script? I hope you stole it off the set or something, because we all know how Internet scripts are the ultimate source of truth in the Universe. =)

And I'm restating my stance that if you're already down on X3 for this stuff, you should also already hate the first two movies anyway.

"Griffith No More!" said:
There's actually a lot of little differences between the Sin City movie and the original comics, not just edits, but lots of added shots, nuiances, and changes here and there. So, for better or worse, it's not truly panel by panel (this outrages me BTW, that and the fact that Marv isn't eight feet tall like in the books. True to the comics MY ASS!). :carcus:

- Its not truly panel for panel of course but they are pretty spot on in most cases as the actual comics were used to outline scenes, as story boards, and so on and so forth. They're of course going to be some minor changes like a slight difference in what as worn by a character in the backround that was simply a solid color or something of the sort. I actually would have liked a starker contrast with more pure blacks and whites but oh well. Also a lot of stuff was what happens in between panels that was simply never added to the comics like Jackie Boy biting his fingers off his lopped off hand to get his gun free.

And yeah Marv should have been 8 feet tall...

BTW, where did you read the X3 script? I hope you stole it off the set or something, because we all know how Internet scripts are the ultimate source of truth in the Universe. =)

- A supposed early draft of the script was released onto the internet. You can find it fairly easily now if you want and its been reviewed on numerous sites. Its the real deal as Fox got into a bit of a tizzy about though some think they did it on purpos to see what people's responses to be... let's just say negative isnt a strong enough word.

And I'm restating my stance that if you're already down on X3 for this stuff, you should also already hate the first two movies anyway.

- I didnt really like the first one, but I thought the second one was definatly decent though I hated how they skimped on so much stuff. I know it probably wasnt a cheap movie getting the likes of Halle Berry, but come on, they couldnt do a five minute danger room sequence in either movie... meh.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
but come on, they couldnt do a five minute danger room sequence in either movie... meh.
I think you'd probably be better off re-watching the X-Men animated series if this is the scale you're judging from.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I was never a big fan of the Sentinels, so whether they're included or not doesn't matter to me. It was nice to see Wolverine actually taking people out in X2 instead of the usual destroy-the-robot-instead-of-showing-a-person-being-killed garbage. :SK:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
HawaiianStallion said:
I know that but what I don't think you're clearly understanding here is not just about them changing many of the fundamental elements of the comic, but also the fact they're making a horrid movie in general with poor writing all around. I'd also like to note if they're going to change so much in the movie from the comics then why bother doing a movie based on the comics in the first place, its like they're just cashing in on the name now. I can understand small stuff, and some stuff that is just unreasonable in movies like doing the whole Secret Wars in Spiderman to get Venom but this is just stupid now.
\

Just so you know, most changes in storylines based on comic book heroes are approved by the companies and creators that supply it.  Second, it's not the changes that are made but how they display them that makes a difference.  In your case I would suggest to stop comparing both comics with it's based movies and just use it as an idea of things to come.  It just makes things less painfull.  You're entitled to your opinion but don't bash those who try to make their own mark in other sources of entertainment.  Frankly Decent is the best word I can come up with for the X-Men movies.  Let's just leave it at that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I probably should but then Sentinels were supposed to be in the second X Men flick but were cut do to costs... damn you Fox!

Just imagine man... We're complaining about Juggernaut being lame, not big enough, etc. And you think they should do the Sentinels? Or even Apocalypse?? What would they be like... I don't even want to think about it.

As for adaptations, I'm personally not a fan of them in general. I think it's useless to adapt things in other formats 90% of the time, and that includes LotR and all these new superhero movies. They sometimes make for decent and entertaining flicks, but as long as you know the original you can never be completely satisfied.

I think Griff said it well enough, I mean we're lucky not to have a bitter Cyclops fan telling us how glad he was to see they pussified him in the movies, glorifying Wolverine because he's the director's favorite character. If the movie sucks it'll suck, but it certainly won't be a tragedy to me given that the first two didn't impress me all that much in the first place.

BTW, where did you read the X3 script? I hope you stole it off the set or something, because we all know how Internet scripts are the ultimate source of truth in the Universe.

The Star Wars ep 3 script was practically dead on. Just throwing that one out there.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Aazealh said:
Well the Sentinels and Apocalypse aren't mutants either so... :chomp:

Apocalypse is actually a mutant, supposed to be the first one, or at least among the oldest ones...
Anyways, I hope everything will turn out well, as I didn't enjoy X2 all that much...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oltobaz said:
Apocalypse is actually a mutant, supposed to be the first one, or at least among the oldest ones...

Yeah, I tend to forget that... One of the oldest mutants, enhanced at 90% by alien technology. :schierke: I just never liked the idea of him being a mutant, I don't think it really fits his character. Oh well.

Oltobaz said:
Anyways, I hope everything will turn out well, as I didn't enjoy X2 all that much...

Same here, I'm not getting my hopes up for X3 though.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, I tend to forget that... One of the oldest mutants, enhanced at 90% by alien technology. :schierke: I just never liked the idea of him being a mutant, I don't think it really fits his character. Oh well.

- Well he does hate everyone, or at least want to destroy them so I guess it makes sense.

Top Bottom